Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i was always sympathetic to "gamahuche"

e: good. a good snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

eerily relevant

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015

derp posted:

For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

The Sun Also Rises is one of my very favorite books, and perhaps the only book I've ever read twice. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls because of my love for TSAR and found it to be sort of whatever.

I do very recommend TSAR. It's very short, very beautiful, and very Hemingway i.e. short direct sentences about beautifully sad drunk people.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Corby Haas posted:

I do very recommend TSAR. It's very short, very beautiful, and very Hemingway i.e. short direct sentences about beautifully sad drunk people.

The bull fight and the fishing scenes are great, as is the car ride conversation where the narrator tells the woman "You know I love you" and her response it "Yeah, I know, but your dick doesn't work. You know I need the dick."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

"Hemingway," dipshit.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Corby Haas posted:

The Sun Also Rises is one of my very favorite books, and perhaps the only book I've ever read twice. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls because of my love for TSAR and found it to be sort of whatever.

cool, i will give this hemmmingway fellow a second chance then.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

cool, i will give this hemmmingway fellow a second chance then.

You may just not like that book. I like his short stories and shorter novels. Like I said, he's good, but less is more with him

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm about 2/3rd of the way through Mother Night and really enjoying it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I don't know if you guys like buying overpriced pretty books like me, but if so The Folio Society is having a half-price sale.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyone know any good or definitive translations of nizar qabbani?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't know if you guys like buying overpriced pretty books like me, but if so The Folio Society is having a half-price sale.

thanks, i was looking to buy a gift, and this is perfect

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are looking into Flannery O'Connor because you think it will be like Vonnegut you will be disapointed.

Anyways "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Oh I know they're only similar in that both are writers. He said so himself. I do trust him though. Going to get right on her short stories.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

any of you guys read White Teeth by Zadie Smith? it's being taught in my student teaching placement and I have some thoughts but i'm curious to see what this thread thinks

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
if I was going to read one Gertrude stein book which one should I read?

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

Three lives! ITS GOOD.

I have a q for the book thread...has anyone read joshua cohen? Im enamored with book of numbers and maybe will effortpost about it/him but im curious if anyone else had thoughts

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I did not see why White Teeth was great rather tha likable when i read it, but am unwilling to defend this position.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

Definitely not The Making of Americans, but it does sound completely insane based on everything i've heard about it.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
autobiography of alice b toklas but most of them are good

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
everything stein wrote is completely insane. she's like if a markov chain learned to collaborate with nazis

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015

Officer Sandvich posted:

autobiography of alice b toklas but most of them are good

This is the most straightforward work by Stein and it's good.

Tender Buttons is a cute little book and it's more "Steiny" but that means it's obtuse.

Reading Autobiography of ABT first is one of the few times I've heeded the advice of others and I'm glad I did.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Burning Rain posted:

thanks, i was looking to buy a gift, and this is perfect

In May I bought a few for my wife's birthday and Foucault's Pendulum for myself. They really are beautiful. For the price I guess you could argue that there's not all that much original art in them, but I just have a thing for attractive book collections. Also really pleasing to the eye are Penguin Hardcover Classics (though I think they were called "Clothbound Classics" when I picked them up). I don't have any of their Drop Caps Series, but have been considering them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

A human heart posted:

Definitely not The Making of Americans, but it does sound completely insane based on everything i've heard about it.

This sounds cool what's wrong with it?

Business
Feb 6, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

its bonkers I don't know if I'll ever have the patience. People make jokes about academics writing about books they haven't read but Making of the Americans is actually that. I haven't given the autobiography of alice b toklas a real shot, because I am averse to reading about the biographical stein I've only read bits and pieces. Its the only thing she ever did that actually sold and got read. For some reason three lives really resonated with me and gets at a similar 'theme' to Americans (from what I gather lol) about american 'types' (often stereotypes). The Melanctha section of three lives feels very racist by any modern standard, but also at the time richard wright says he read it to a group of illiterate black dockworkers and said they all loved it and he loved it and found the voice 'authentic'. Also I listened to it on audiobook and that might be a good way to go

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

It's like 800 pages long and long sections are very similar phrases being repeated incessantly

quote:

The way I feel natures in men and women is this way then. To begin then with one general kind of them, this a resisting earthy slow kind of them, anything entering into them as a sensation must emerge again from through the slow resisting bottom of them to be an emotion in them. This is a kind of them. This bottom in them then in some can be solid, in some frozen, in some dried and cracked, in some muddy and engulfing, in some thicker, in some thinner, slimier, drier, very dry and not so dry and in some a stimulation entering into the surface that is them to make an emotion does not get into it, the mass then that is them, to be swallowed up in it to be emerging, in some it is swallowed up and never then is emerging. Now all these kinds of ways of being are existing and sometime there will be examples of all these ways of being, now all these ways of being have it in common that there is not in them a quick and poignant reaction, it must be an entering and then an emerging mostly taking some time in the doing, the quickest of these then are such of them where the mud is dry and almost wooden, where the mud has become dry and almost wooden, or metallic in them and it is a surface denting a stimulation gives to them or else there is a surface that is not dry and the rest is dry and it is only the surface of the whole mass that is that one of which there has been any penetrating, and in some in whom the whole mass of the being is taking part in the reaction in some of such of them habit, mind strongly acting can make it go quicker and quicker the deep sinking and emerging. This is then a kind of them, the resisting kind of them, and there are many kinds of that kind of them. This is a very sure way of grouping kinds in men and women. I know it and I see men and women by it. Mostly to any one new it means nothing. I will begin again then this explaining.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Are there any recent really funny books or is everything funny from the 50s

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

I laughed more than once at Penguin Modern Poets Two: Controlled Explosions. So a better batting average than most funny poetry

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

george saunders

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

A human heart posted:

It's like 800 pages long and long sections are very similar phrases being repeated incessantly

a friend of mine has basically all her books and I opened up randomly either this one or one of the plays once and it was totally incomprehensible

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
finished the city and the city. it was pretty good for a crime novel, creative, interesting. sort of lost steam at the end though and fell into the trap of 'lets have a huge conversation with the villain about everything that wasn't clear yet while we point guns at eachother'

opened up Ulysses and read two pages and it was terrible and now I distrust all literary critics. started brothers karamozov instead. its good

bell tolling is growing on me. this scene where they are flogging fascists and throwing them off a cliff is pretty intense and is getting to me badly. good stuff. but the dialogue is still weird and idg who these people are supposed to be, most of them dont talk like normal humans but like they are from a couple centuries ago or something.

thats my book updates thanks for listening.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

CestMoi posted:

The Sellout was very funny

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

derp posted:

opened up Ulysses and read two pages and it was terrible

Post/username

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

opened up Ulysses and read two pages and it was terrible and now I distrust all literary critics. started brothers karamozov instead. its good

ulysses is actually insanely good and funny so your opinion is wrong

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ulvir posted:

ulysses is actually insanely good and funny so your opinion is wrong

maybe i will read another 2 pages one of these days then. it annoys me when people do dumb things with dialogue to try and be unique, like cormac mccarthy and hemmmmingway too, apparently

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

derp posted:

maybe i will read another 2 pages one of these days then. it annoys me when people do dumb things with dialogue to try and be unique, like cormac mccarthy and hemmmmingway too, apparently

don't stop :justpost:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
*me, looking at a picasso* drat he hosed that all up

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

james joyce in the year 1917: i'm going to write dialogue in this way to appear unique

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

*me, looking at a picasso* drat he hosed that all up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re: the bells that toll, I got the impression that Hemingway wrote the dialogue in Spanish in English. Been a while since I read it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

Like, I can understand not enjoying Joyce, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is an almost impressively bad opinion.

...Are you Nicholas Sparks?!?