Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

King was literally living in a trailer and barely making ends meet before he sold Carrie. I read a interview once where he said that if his wife had asked him to give up writing so he could focus on his his day job he would've done so without hesitation but she was extremely supportive and when he threw the manuscript for Carrie in the trash because he had lost faith in it she fished it out and convinced him to finish it.

The way he talks about his wife is so :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd go so far as to say that "On Writing" is my favourite King book.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

There's been a couple new teasers on my Facebook page, it pretty much confirms Ben will get carved up and it will show more of Henry Bowers in this film.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://xxaaztshjxx.tumblr.com/post/164044124275/spoiler-alert-clip-from-it-movie-idk-who-are

Not so great cam footage of the preview clip being shown before the new Annabelle movie.

It's a solid chunk of the boat scene between George and Pennywise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

https://xxaaztshjxx.tumblr.com/post/164044124275/spoiler-alert-clip-from-it-movie-idk-who-are

Not so great cam footage of the preview clip being shown before the new Annabelle movie.

That's a really good portrayal of Pennywise, actually. I like it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

joylessdivision posted:

Dang, thats way better than I was assuming it would be based on the trailers. I still think he's a little too overtly fuckin' creepy, but its not nearly as much as it seemed like it would be. The popcorn part was some good banter that seemed appropriately disarming in particular.

Seeing bill with the walkie talkie though... I'm thinking now georgie will just disappear to the adult world, but bill will insist he's in the sewer because of something he heard on it, and maybe he'll even keep hearing calls from "Georgie" just to freak him out and lead him on. If that is going to be the case that georgie's body isn't found, there has to be some reason for him so suspect foul play and the sewers. When I first heard he would go looking for georgie in the film, I was concerned that he wouldn't have enough motivation with georgie just vanishing because anything could have happened to him. His brother not just dying, but being violently murdered was a such a huge thing that it didn't feel like it would ever have the same effect and weight if he just disappeared. Bill hearing his death over walkie talkie and no one believing him would really help fix that.

I am crazy excited for this movie now more than ever... which I really shouldn't do because the higher my expectations go, the more stephen king adaptation disappointment will smack me back down.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm glad he's not trying to imitate Tim Curry. He seems a lot more playful, and this is making the mood swings a lot more disturbing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tom Guycot posted:

Dang, thats way better than I was assuming it would be based on the trailers. I still think he's a little too overtly fuckin' creepy, but its not nearly as much as it seemed like it would be. The popcorn part was some good banter that seemed appropriately disarming in particular.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I think I still prefer the tone of the tv show version of the scene because the weirdly pedestrian nature of its lighting actually makes it feel so much more odd and off-putting. Here the deep shadows and constant drooling kind of push it a little too much into a place where I think any kid in their right mind would immediately run for the hills. Still, I loved the popcorn bit. I was worried they would forgo the disarming, wolf-in-sheep's clothing aspect of Pennywise in favor of making him a more traditional movie monster. I'm happy that's still at play here, and it gives me way more faith in the movie at large.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am absolutely blown away how good this looks cinematography-wise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I might have some criticisms about the tone but even on that shaky cam footage I was struck by how good it looked

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, I wish Pennywise was a bit more playful in this scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Hockstetter's death is the scariest of all the child deaths, to me.

I have a big phobia about large parasites, like leeches and such. Those flying leech things hit every single nopenopenope response in my brain.

It's also written through the lens of Hockstetter's mental illness, which gives the entire scene this otherworldly air. And near the end, I seem to recall him realizing that this is actually happening. His horror at that realization is just as freaky as the form IT took.

I love that chapter as much as I hate it.

Or is it just me? What say those of you without my phobia?

Yeah that's definitely the most horrifying/disturbing part of the novel to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, I wish Pennywise was a bit more playful in this scene.

It's odd, because I read the novel in this scene almost exactly as it is played here, and thought the Curry version was too goofy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

don't bet against Chung-hoon Chung shooting a great looking movie. Stoker has some of my favorite cinematography of the decade.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pennywise totally thought he was getting a value meal when Georgie mentions his brother, that's pretty great. The guy playing Pennywise, what else has he been in?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

joylessdivision posted:

Holy poo poo, this is good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I think what's missing is that in the book the scene doesn't immediately start off as threatening, but just loving weird. And it's that weirdness that disarms Georgie; he's more curious about how this silly, funny clown got stuck in a storm drain than outright terrified. It's not until it's too late that Georgie realizes what kind of danger he's in. Curry pulls off that weirdness well, but again, I think a major part of that is that the tv show version isn't outright framed like a horror scene. Pennywise is fairly brightly lit, and far less outwardly predatory.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't bet against Chung-hoon Chung shooting a great looking movie. Stoker has some of my favorite cinematography of the decade.

I knew it would look good, like you say, Stoker looked amazing. But there's something really surprising about this, it's hard to describe.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fart City posted:

I think what's missing is that in the book the scene doesn't immediately start off as threatening, but just loving weird. And it's that weirdness that disarms Georgie; he's more curious about how this silly, funny clown got stuck in a storm drain than outright terrified. It's not until it's too late that Georgie realizes what kind of danger he's in. Curry pulls off that weirdness well, but again, I think a major part of that is that the tv show version isn't outright framed like a horror scene. Pennywise is fairly brightly lit, and far less outwardly predatory.

What I loved so much about the scene in the TV movie, was how jovial and kid friendly he was, how brightly lit, and his fluffy clean clown makeup and costume, yet, his eyes were bloodshot. That one little defect in this otherwise happy little clown talking to him. That and Tim Curry, god bless that man, just the way his lips moved and the look of ecstasy on his face when he starts describing the balloons floating was magical. I'm glad they're not trying to do an imitation of his performance because that would just be awful, but oh maaaaaan how much I would have given to see see Curry play the part in a production this well shot and budgeted.

Tim Curry is basically the reason theres any fond memories of that otherwise quite cheesy and tame tv adaptation as far as I'm concerned.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Handmaiden also had immaculate cinematography. And Muschietti has shown a penchant for some really striking imagery in Mama, which helped elevate that movie a lot. It's a great combination for It.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

The Handmaiden also had immaculate cinematography. And Muschietti has shown a penchant for some really striking imagery in Mama, which helped elevate that movie a lot. It's a great combination for It.

Yeah The Handmaiden had some shots that took my breath away, particularly when they're on the rowboat in the fog.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

What I loved so much about the scene in the TV movie, was how jovial and kid friendly he was, how brightly lit, and his fluffy clean clown makeup and costume, yet, his eyes were bloodshot. That one little defect in this otherwise happy little clown talking to him. That and Tim Curry, god bless that man, just the way his lips moved and the look of ecstasy on his face when he starts describing the balloons floating was magical. I'm glad they're not trying to do an imitation of his performance because that would just be awful, but oh maaaaaan how much I would have given to see see Curry play the part in a production this well shot and budgeted.

Tim Curry is basically the reason theres any fond memories of that otherwise quite cheesy and tame tv adaptation as far as I'm concerned.

His orgasmic delivery on "Oh yes, they float. They all float" is like, the consummate interpretation of Pennywise to me. Like even rereading the book I can't break what Curry did with the role.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm glad he's not trying to imitate Tim Curry. He seems a lot more playful, and this is making the mood swings a lot more disturbing.

Co-sign. I loved when his facial expression abruptly changed and they cut to Georgie's reaction. This movie looks loving great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kind of wonder what Pennywise would look like if they had given normal teeth instead of those rat incisors.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I knew it would look good, like you say, Stoker looked amazing. But there's something really surprising about this, it's hard to describe.

I know you loved Mama too so I think you were maybe justness preparing yourself to be let down and welp. Good news!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Kind of wonder what Pennywise would look like if they had given normal teeth instead of those rat incisors.

They seemed to actually grow in that scene, which is consistent with the book, and I think his appearance will change a lot; also like the book.

That loving clip...man...it's eerie how well it matches the scene I imagined in my head when I read IT and the guy playing Pennywise is loving nailing it. That sudden change in his facial expression and the reaction...holy shIT.

I never saw "Mama" but may have to check it out now.

Agree with others that the cinematography on display so far is loving magnificent. I loved Georgie ducking under the red barrier and then bonking the second one, like they were warning him away from the sewer or, more likely, slowing him down so the boat would reach the open grate and set the bait. The combination of aerial shots with ground level ones, the lighting, the framing, the rain, the dolly cam, the cuts and the editing were totally on point and absolutely perfect.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

King was literally living in a trailer and barely making ends meet before he sold Carrie. I read a interview once where he said that if his wife had asked him to give up writing so he could focus on his his day job he would've done so without hesitation but she was extremely supportive and when he threw the manuscript for Carrie in the trash because he had lost faith in it she fished it out and convinced him to finish it.

I wonder what he was thinking about when he wrote the Secret Window.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tenzarin posted:

I wonder what he was thinking about when he wrote the Secret Window.

I like to imagine that after the Carrie story, King removed all trash cans from his office. So by hell or high water, everything gets published. Period.

I mean that would at least explain Insomnia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

I like to imagine that after the Carrie story, King removed all trash cans from his office. So by hell or high water, everything gets published. Period.

I mean that would at least explain Insomnia.

The amount of time this dude has worked in his life must be positively insane if you added it all up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

The amount of time this dude has worked in his life must be positively insane if you added it all up.

King's an interesting guy because he's a true-blue storyteller, but he's also got that Yankee work ethic. I imagine he doesn't view writing as an occupation much differently than he would view working at a paper mill. I think that combination is what makes him uniquely prolific: he's immensely creative, but he also produces a poo poo-ton of content. I'm a pretty fervent King reader, but even I was surprised to see that he had like, two new titles on the shelf that I had never heard of the last time I dropped into my local mom and pop book store.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

King's an interesting guy because he's a true-blue storyteller, but he's also got that Yankee work ethic. I imagine he doesn't view writing as an occupation much differently than he would view working at a paper mill. I think that combination is what makes him uniquely prolific: he's immensely creative, but he also produces a poo poo-ton of content. I'm a pretty fervent King reader, but even I was surprised to see that he had like, two new titles on the shelf that I had never heard of the last time I dropped into my local mom and pop book store.

Which ones?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Which ones?

Finders Keepers and End Of Watch. Apparently they're part of a trilogy (?), but they flew completely under my radar.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 11, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't know if this movie will be any good or not, but I thought that little clip was fantastic.

e: and that clip is already gone 😢

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 11, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Darko posted:

That's a really good portrayal of Pennywise, actually. I like it.

I do too. It felt...more in line with how I imagined the scene when I reread it a few years ago. Funny enough the last time I started re-reading IT a couple years ago was the first time I didn't see Tim Curry in my head as Pennywise and he was actually way more horrifying.

I love Tim Curry in the role, and while this guy doesn't match the look of Pennywise in my head, the tone and his delivery were spot loving on.

Now I'm sad it's gone because I wanted to check it out again. :(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BiggerBoat posted:

He writes every single day. If you do that, you write a lot of books if people are willing to publish them, and he's had the fortune since Carrie for that to be the case.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It's pretty telling how many forewords and afterwords have King saying something along the lines of "oh so anyway I dug this out of cold storage from when I had been kicking it around 30 years ago and found that it was actually the bones of a pretty good story so I gave it a rewrite and there you go". Dude writes non-stop, is ridiculously prolific and never throws anything away. He's gonna be like a big Yankee Tupac, pumping work out for decades after he dies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I know you loved Mama too so I think you were maybe justness preparing yourself to be let down and welp. Good news!

Yeah, I was worried it would be an Alexandre Aja type situation where the guy comes to Hollywood and just fizzles out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

It's pretty telling how many forewords and afterwords have King saying something along the lines of "oh so anyway I dug this out of cold storage from when I had been kicking it around 30 years ago and found that it was actually the bones of a pretty good story so I gave it a rewrite and there you go". Dude writes non-stop, is ridiculously prolific and never throws anything away. He's gonna be like a big Yankee Tupac, pumping work out for decades after he dies.

He's like Prince or Zappa only with books.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why did they have to make pennywise so sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tired Moritz posted:

why did they have to make pennywise so sexy