Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The last 15 minutes of Doomsday Machine are the most bizarre, boring 15 minutes you'll ever watch.

That's not Danny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

DTaeKim posted:

Currently watching the first of two shows in Nashville. From reading the thread, it seems like the jokes are mostly the same with some improve. Still great though.
Went to the second show. It was really good! If they do Rifftrax at the Belcourt again, you should definitely go to one of those shows. They actually do it live instead of show the audience a recording.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The last 15 minutes of Doomsday Machine are the most bizarre, boring 15 minutes you'll ever watch.

That's why I like it. They obviously ran out of money and lost the actors, so they just did some random poo poo that had nothing to do with the original plot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The two Atlanta shows last night were legendary. Both were absolutely packed. It was amazing to see so many enthusiastic fans. Ended up talking to several, going over favorite episodes. It was also great to see such a range of people - I saw everyone from older folks to children. The riffs on Eegah were every bit as amazing as the original episode. The super secret movie has to be one of the worst ones they've ever done and I hope it ends up a Season 12 episode. I think the second episode was even more fun because the audience was loosened up. Imagine thousands of people singing the MST3K theme song. Also, Joel got a standing ovation after both shows, which was awesome.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Imagine thousands of people singing the MST3K theme song.

This was so fun in Boston. I love how everyone hams it up on the "You should really just relax!" part now because of the new theme. Joel is some kind of wizard at hiring all the right people to build excitement. Every step of this revival has just encouraged the community to have fun with it, and people are bringing their families! There are kids who are my age when I started watching it laughing and saying which one of the robots is their favorite!

I need it to last like another ten years so that I can have a kid who will be old enough to laugh at many of the jokes, even if they don't get all of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having finished the season again recently

I just

Feel obligated to post this video again. Can this be made part of the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

Because seriously. MST3K is alive again. What a time. What a beautiful thing in such an ugly time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

This was so fun in Boston. I love how everyone hams it up on the "You should really just relax!" part now because of the new theme. Joel is some kind of wizard at hiring all the right people to build excitement. Every step of this revival has just encouraged the community to have fun with it, and people are bringing their families! There are kids who are my age when I started watching it laughing and saying which one of the robots is their favorite!

I need it to last like another ten years so that I can have a kid who will be old enough to laugh at many of the jokes, even if they don't get all of them.

Do they have a tube that sucks Jonah up for the opening at the live show to keep up the conceit that he's having to redo it?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What jokes did they make about Boston? The only thing they had for KC was BBQ and Jonah namedropping Topeka.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

What jokes did they make about Boston? The only thing they had for KC was BBQ and Jonah namedropping Topeka.

They said "Boston baked beans!' and "Boston cream pie!" for the local delicacies, and I think Gypsy said "chowdah" when Jonah asked what was in the suitcase. I couldn't quite hear her clearly.

Gaz-L posted:

Do they have a tube that sucks Jonah up for the opening at the live show to keep up the conceit that he's having to redo it?

The idea for the show was the Kinga was showing it on the screen and the skull guys were getting everyone psyched up to sing along and follow the bouncing the ball.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gaz-L posted:

The idea is that Kinga is letting Jonah perform these live shows for her benefit (and merchandising), and he's not allowed to leave the stage or try to escape.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Burkion posted:

Having finished the season again recently

I just

Feel obligated to post this video again. Can this be made part of the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

Because seriously. MST3K is alive again. What a time. What a beautiful thing in such an ugly time.

Its been a rough weekend. The news is terrible and I'm anxious about starting my student teaching position. That video is just hits the right spots right now. Thank you for posting it. Its done a world of good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For the Atlanta show, Gypsy's payload was a box of Varsity hot dogs and hamburgers. Also, they made a riff about Cabbagetown and all the different Peachtree streets.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The idea is that Kinga is letting Jonah perform these live shows for her benefit (and merchandising), and he's not allowed to leave the stage or try to escape.

When Jonah was dressed as Argoman, he tried to escape, but was thwarted by the velvet rope Kinga had installed

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
In Baltimore the payload was a case of Natty Boh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish that a touring show was extremely easy and rewarding for all the performers and their families, because I would go to an MST3K live show every single year, even if they had all the same technical glitches and even though live theater is approaching the point of being unaffordable.

I love this comedy movie hosting show with puppets, just love it, and there's something really special about seeing them within shouting distance, laughing and flubbing and getting energy from the crowd.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's Nazis in America, nuclear war is looming, global warming will kill us all, and yet the thing that angers me the most right now is that Netflix still hasn't renewed this loving show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rydiafan posted:

There's Nazis in America, nuclear war is looming, global warming will kill us all, and yet the thing that angers me the most right now is that Netflix still hasn't renewed this loving show.

We're all going to boil inside of our skin if we don't get run over by Nazis, please allow me to enjoy my show about old movies and puppets and jokes, Netflix.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

rydiafan posted:

what a dumb thing to say

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bicyclops posted:

They said "Boston baked beans!' and "Boston cream pie!" for the local delicacies, and I think Gypsy said "chowdah" when Jonah asked what was in the suitcase. I couldn't quite hear her clearly.

Jonah asked what was in the payload, and she said something along the lines of "it's not an eskimo full of chowda, kid" in the thickest imaginable fake Boston accent.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what a dumb thing to say

Let me help you out, chief.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They did refer to Eegah having an alt-right haircut after Roxy shaved him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

There were a ton of those kinds of jokes in the Eegah show. When the helicopter took off toward the beginning, they said something like "See you later, dad! We're opening up the club to people of color as soon as you're out of eyesight!"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

There were a ton of those kinds of jokes in the Eegah show. When the helicopter took off toward the beginning, they said something like "See you later, dad! We're opening up the club to people of color as soon as you're out of eyesight!"

MST3K isn't MST3K without jokes about white privilege.

Also, the water gurgling gag got funnier and funnier, even when they used it again in Argoman.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the live show: As Eegah was being shaved, I laughed very hard at (I think) Servo flatly saying "I hate this".

Was also glad to hear the monotone "tequila" riff brought back.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost forgot: During the hat skit during Argoman, Tom Servo's head fell off, leading to a huge cheer.

Also rewatched Space Mutiny and Girl in Gold Boots for the first time in a while. Space Mutiny is way funnier than I remembered, while Girl is just as greasy as I recall.

(Did you sign Shelli's card?)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

There were some gags about mras too. I'm glad to see mst3k keep its mild but clear position in this weird iteration of the culture war.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

same. it's just barely a bad movie, when you account for the fact that it was the director's first film, no budget, scraped together sets/locations and amateur actors. unlike many bad movies which are confusing or painfully boring time chasers falls into that charming category of technically bad but legitimately entertaining. like at least it's well paced and you can mostly follow the plot. i'd say it's one of the five best films featured on mst3k

Wow, never put much thought into it but totally agreed. Time Chasers also has a sick telephone conference waiting music soundtrack.

Could actually say the same for The Magic Sword. That's the only MST3k feature where the commentary got in the way for me. Lodac and Sir Branton are actually pretty good actors, George is a protagonist you can root for, and Lodac's curses are sometimes pretty scary!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jack Frost is a legit good movie

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Quest of the Delta Knights has a really catchy score, plus David Warner. Twice, even. It's still a bad movie, and I mean I enjoy Rifftrax doing blockbusters, so I would not say almost any movie is too good to riff, but it still stands out as head and shoulders above the usual fare.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I mean they did Godzilla and Gamera movies so...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Quest of the Delta Knights has a really catchy score, plus David Warner. Twice, even. It's still a bad movie, and I mean I enjoy Rifftrax doing blockbusters, so I would not say almost any movie is too good to riff, but it still stands out as head and shoulders above the usual fare.

I really love that the whole reason David Warner plays two parts in that movie is because it was super low budget and the director/producers were really sweating about how they were going to pull it off and Warner was like, "Hey, guys, would it help you out if I just played two parts?" and they were like, "YEEEEESSSS!!!" That's a sweet thing to do.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warner played two different roles back to back in consecutive Star Trek movies, he seems down for anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The kickstarter "mystery gift" and dvds haven't been shipped, have they? It's been a while, but I haven't heard anything in quite some time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

business hammocks posted:

The kickstarter "mystery gift" and dvds haven't been shipped, have they? It's been a while, but I haven't heard anything in quite some time.

Nope, the only emails I've seen in the last few months have been about the live show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

business hammocks posted:

http://kickstarter.mst3k.com/faq/fulfillment/

ESTIMATED: NOV 2017
The remaining rewards will be delivered in November.

THE MST3K COLLECTOR'S SET: SEASON 11 (DVD and BLU RAY)
THE MST3K COLLECTOR'S TAPE: EPISODE 1101 (VHS)
MST3K MIMOBOT® USB DRIVES
MST3K MYSTERY GIFTS
WALL CALENDARS (1/2018 - 6/2019)
ACTUAL CROW & SERVO PUPPETS, INVENTIONS
LAST CALL ADD-ONS (Shirts, Hoodies, Posters)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Warner played two different roles back to back in consecutive Star Trek movies, he seems down for anything.

Warner's never been particularly shy about the fact that he'll do just about any role if there's a paycheck involved.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Carnival Magic was very difficult to get through even with the funny riffs, but the movie strangely won me over by the end.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Jack Frost is a legit good movie

yeah. what makes jack frost mst3k-worthy are the baffling cultural disconnects in terms of the alien folklore and the different standard of production values. aside from that it's a legit decent film

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, and the translation/dub quality, which often obscures the actual folklore they're adapting. Case in point: The Magic Voyage of Sinbad, which has nothing at all to do with Sinbad.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't know if anyone else saw it, but there was an update yesterday on a new season: Joel said nothing is definite but he remains hopeful.

That said, both Elliott Kalan and Rebecca Hanson are moving to LA, so I'm hoping that's a sign of some good news on the renewal front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The soundtrack is up on Amazon.

There's more incidental music in this season than I remembered there being. I also somehow never noticed that the music during the end-of-episode ceremony is Clowns in the Sky.