Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The main cause of deaths from a jury-rigged radiological weapon wouldn't be cancer, it'd be the panic.
Yup. Dirty bombs would make for great terror weapons because radiation is invisible and the amount involved doesn't hurt you immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Yup. Dirty bombs would make for great terror weapons because radiation is invisible and the amount involved doesn't hurt you immediately.

And it can hang around...

And around...

And around...

And around...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Looking at it, it seems like Ukraine inherited a large number of nukes, but not the launch codes; those were held in Russia. They decided to destroy them instead of making themselves unpopular by taking control of them.

As for the RTGs, yeah - I've read the IAEA report on the one in Georgia. Those reports are interesting if gruesome reading in general: here. They're very detailed, from the historical background through the incident and cleanup through to a detailed medical followup on the worst affected survivors. Expect diagrams of handmade RTG-moving tools, complaints about road quality in Caucasus in February, and nasty open wounds.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Thousands of nuclear weapons were sent to Russia after they signed an agreement to respect the independence and borders of Ukraine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

Thousands of nuclear weapons were sent to Russia after they signed an agreement to respect the independence and borders of Ukraine.
How swell that went for them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwsY1yx8XI

:thunk:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

Yeah look at how that played out...

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I just watched one of Cody's videos where he casually reveals that he's got loving NaK laying around. I imagine most folks in this thread know what that is, but for those that don't, it's all the absurd reactivity of sodium and potassium, but in liquid form, giving it a vastly increased surface area.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, that's his still from his first attempt at purifying Cesium!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hey, that's his still from his first attempt at purifying Cesium!

Why would you purify Cesium :stonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSJGwnERIVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuEj5EhqcsQ

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mustached Demon posted:

She did undergo chelation therapy but that much mercury was too much. Suppose a lower dose could be treatable.

Note: it was only a couple drops, at most, from a pipette

Through gloves that were thought to be protective at the time, it must be added.

It was only after she died that people realized how fast the dimethylmercury went through the kind of gloves she was wearing. She wasn't careless, she was following procedures.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Tumble posted:

She wasn't careless, she was following procedures.

That's what makes it so extra tragic :ohdear: You do everything right, and then you slowly decline in front of your family's eyes until you're insensate but still potentially in pain and slowly waste away without the faculties to even fathom what's going on.

Brutal.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

LogicalFallacy posted:

I just watched one of Cody's videos where he casually reveals that he's got loving NaK laying around. I imagine most folks in this thread know what that is, but for those that don't, it's all the absurd reactivity of sodium and potassium, but in liquid form, giving it a vastly increased surface area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85d7ST2yxU&t=84s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbWfhBDNzk&t=246s

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, at least he seems to have a real NaK for handling it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's what makes it so extra tragic :ohdear: You do everything right, and then you slowly decline in front of your family's eyes until you're insensate but still potentially in pain and slowly waste away without the faculties to even fathom what's going on.

Brutal.

Not just insensate and vegetative either, there were frequent random bouts of screaming and violence as well, what an awful way to go.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LogicalFallacy posted:

The Wikipedia article starts reasonably enough, but gets progressively more :stonk: as you read.

Wikipedia posted:

When stored in air, it forms a yellow potassium superoxide coating and may ignite. This superoxide reacts explosively with organics.

Wikipedia posted:

The liquid alloy also attacks PTFE ("Teflon").

Wikipedia posted:

NaK has been used as the coolant in experimental fast neutron nuclear reactors.

Wikipedia posted:

An apparently unintended consequence of this usage as a coolant on orbiting satellites has been the creation of additional space debris. A number of these old satellites are punctured by orbiting space debris—calculated to be 8 percent over any 50-year period—and release their NaK coolant into space. The coolant self-forms into frozen droplets of solid sodium-potassium of up to around several centimeters in size and these solid objects then become a significant source of space debris themselves.

Wikipedia posted:

The Danamics LMX Superleggera CPU cooler uses NaK to transport heat from the CPU to its cooling fins.

Wikipedia posted:

NaK-77, an eutectic alloy of sodium-potassium, can be used as a hydraulic fluid in high-temperature and high-radiation environments, for temperature ranges of 10 to 1,400 °F (−12 to 760 °C). [...] Addition of caesium shifts the useful temperature range to −95 to 1,300 °F (−71 to 704 °C).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My favorite bit about NaK is the pump developed at (I think) University of Nottingham. NaK is a metal, so they just put a pair of magnets around the tube carrying it, then passed a current at right angles, and it's a pump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGAXOWpGy8

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LogicalFallacy posted:

:stonk:

It occurs to me that if you swapped out the molten lithium in the LiFH tripropellant motor for NaK, you might have something easier to handle (because you now have two cryogenic propellants and one room-temperature one, rather than two cryos and one that needs to be kept at 200°C) without sacrificing too much Isp.

Well. "Easier".

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That depends... is liquid lithium hypergolic with itself?

E. Sorry misunderstood. Just have an aversion of mixing potassium into anything, you know?

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 13, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ToxicFrog posted:

:stonk:

It occurs to me that if you swapped out the molten lithium in the LiFH tripropellant motor for NaK, you might have something easier to handle (because you now have two cryogenic propellants and one room-temperature one, rather than two cryos and one that needs to be kept at 200°C) without sacrificing too much Isp.

Well. "Easier".

I think you lose an awful lot of Isp, since your two thrust species (Li and H) with an effective weight of about 3.3 have been replaced with NaK+H with an effective weight of about 15. I'd expect to see exhaust velocity drop by about 80% or so, with the Isp loss that incurs.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My favorite bit about NaK is the pump developed at (I think) University of Nottingham. NaK is a metal, so they just put a pair of magnets around the tube carrying it, then passed a current at right angles, and it's a pump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGAXOWpGy8

One very solid liquid benefit of a metallic primary.

Non-contact coolant circulation is almost maybe possibly nice enough to briefly consider a NaK-cooled core again.

If only it worked for molten salt formulations...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Did that video ever answer whether they found a material that didn’t corrode with NaK throughput? Glass makes sense but is a terrible choice for a coolant loop, so I’m guessing something basic is in use in breeder reactors? Copper maybe?

Edit: probably not copper just tell me

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Aug 14, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

NaK is highly corrosive... and we were talking about rocket fuels, as we do... hmmm.

Nitric Acid in configurations as rocket fuel for Soviet/Russian ICBM systems are made significantly less corrosive by addition of small (6‰) amounts of Flourine (or other, still classified, materials). Wonder if it's possible to do the same for NaK?

A less maintenance intensive/hotter running breader reactor would be a hell of a machine.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Aug 14, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ah yes, the old "add fluorine to make it less corrosive trick". Now tell me about adding tnt to hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane to make it more stable :jerkbag:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ah yes, the old "add fluorine to make it less corrosive trick". Now tell me about adding tnt to hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane to make it more stable :jerkbag:

Not until you agree CL-20 is easier to say than hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane :whip:

HNIW/CL-20 is incidentally also used in solid rocket fuel as an (expensive) energetic booster. The line between cold war rocket science and cold war explosive science doesn't really exist.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Aug 14, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The line between cold war rocket science and cold war explosive science doesn't really exist.

As demonstrated when someone proposed building a rocket out of nukes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The line between cold war rocket science and cold war explosive science doesn't really exist.
Because the line blew away?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Because the line blew away?

Because the line blew away. The people who survived ww2 correctly understood that explosions were the quickest way to move anything, be they people, science, nazis, or societies.

War! what is it good for? Making people not fear the bombs, apparently. "Push it to the Limit" should've been written in 1951 by Herman Kahn.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Lone Badger posted:

As demonstrated when someone proposed building a rocket out of nukes.

I was taking about crazy rockets with my son and he flat out refused to believe project Orion wasn't a joke until I showed him a bunch of videos on the concept. He maintains its the stupidest amazing idea he's ever hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nuclear pulse propulsion is in fact the only non‐stupid way to move a big spaceship with current or near‐future technology. And it’s been that way for sixty years.

Casaba howitze, thoughr: that was actual insanity. :piss:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Nuclear pulse propulsion is in fact the only non‐stupid way to move a big spaceship with current or near‐future technology. And it’s been that way for sixty years.

Casaba howitze, thoughr: that was actual insanity. :piss:

I'd like to stress that a Casaba howitzer isn't an insane idea because it wouldn't work, but because it's such a badass weapon that there's currently no extraterrestrial targets important enough to use one on, and here on Earth it wouldn't be a great deal more useful than regular nukes because when a weapon can annihilate anything, the atmosphere itself becomes useful cover.

Though I suppose most destructive devices can be countered by putting several hundred km of air between them and their target. Yeah, that is a pretty basic strategy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Moist von Lipwig posted:

To be fair, apparently the HF doesn't make nitric acid itself less corrosive, it just creates a protective fluoride layer on the storage tanks to prevent them from being further corroded.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Syd Midnight posted:

I'd like to stress that a Casaba howitzer isn't an insane idea because it wouldn't work, but because it's such a badass weapon that there's currently no extraterrestrial targets important enough to use one on,

Ted Taylor had an idea for using it for civil engineering purposes. He calculated that even a one-kiloton unit could displace some absurd amount of rock, and suggested using them to dig a tunnel coast-to-coast, pump it down to vacuum, and then run high-speed trains through it.

Ted Taylor also designed the largest pure-fission bomb ever, which yielded 500 kilotons. It used so much HEU that for safety the design called for a boron chain to be kept inside the pit, which was pulled out by the flight crew immediately before the bomb was dropped.

Man was crazy-smart, is what I'm saying.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Don't tell Elon Musk about nuclear tunneling :ssh:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Phanatic posted:

Ted Taylor had an idea for using it for civil engineering purposes. He calculated that even a one-kiloton unit could displace some absurd amount of rock, and suggested using them to dig a tunnel coast-to-coast, pump it down to vacuum, and then run high-speed trains through it.

Ted Taylor also designed the largest pure-fission bomb ever, which yielded 500 kilotons. It used so much HEU that for safety the design called for a boron chain to be kept inside the pit, which was pulled out by the flight crew immediately before the bomb was dropped.

Sounds more like Tim Taylor, to be honest.

"More nuclear power! *grunts*"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Every time I think of project Orion, I see this in my mind:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

To be fair, apparently the HF doesn't make nitric acid itself less corrosive, it just creates a protective fluoride layer on the storage tanks to prevent them from being further corroded.

Yup, once fluorine has formed a bond it doesn't really want to let go. Problems arise when the things it bonds to are things you wanted to remain unbonded. Fluoride layers also don't flake and aren't porous, so once they're formed you're golden.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wasabi the J posted:

Every time I think of project Orion, I see this in my mind:

what? It's the same principle as a gun.
We'd be way farther along in space travel if we didn't depend on lovely chemical rockets to take tons of parts and goods into orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Johnny Aztec posted:

what? It's the same principle as a gun.
We'd be way farther along in space travel if we didn't depend on lovely chemical rockets to take tons of parts and goods into orbit.

People would throw a shitfit about the fallout. Although I read about one plan to mitigate that by using a huge pile of conventional explosives to get the thing away from the ground.