Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sure about that? A simple Google search confirms the 24 month extension, but it specifically states it's an extension of the manufacturer's warranty, not any extended ones. Also, I'd rather not take out another line of credit if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the advice, though. If Chase ever pisses me off enough, I'll look into getting a card from them.

Yup, you only see it once you log in to see more details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Decided to go with the 930E over the 900E @ 55". AAFES took the 900E off sale and has it priced at $1699. The 930E is at $1499, and that's before a 17% off coupon, free shipping, and no tax on the order because AAFES. Plus I have some stuff to return on my AMEX, so my final price on it will be just ~$1100. The heart-breaker is that AAFES had the LG OLEDB6P listed for $1199...before the 17% off and the statement credit I'll be able to apply...but it's out of stock, and seeing as it's a 2016 model, I'm not holding out hope it'll come back *in* stock ever again. Or at least not before the 24th, when my 17% off coupon expires.

I'll probably use the 90 day grace period before deciding whether or not to pick up a four year SquareTrade policy on it. It'd be nice to let two months pass before putting *another* near-$200 charge on a card, since I always pay them off immediately at the end of each month.

And before anyone asks - AAFES is the military exchange service, not some magical retailer anyone can buy from.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 13, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've just got a Sony x900e (49" UK model, if it makes any difference) and after playing around with it for about a day the Android interface seems pretty sluggish, frustratingly slow at times. Sometimes when I hit a button it can take what feels like several seconds for a UI element to pop up, even something as simple as the volume display is slow to appear.

Once I've launched an app they mostly seem to run fine, but it's bringing up the interface that can take too long. The only laggy menu navigation that I've had is the Android home menu can be pretty slow.

Two smaller quibbles that I've got are that the YouTube app refuses to let me sign in (Googling it the problem appears to be that it only lets users who have attracted real names to their YouTube accounts log in, which I've refused to do thus far) and for some reason enabling the YouView app disables recording and some other functions (dunno if YouView is a thing outside of the UK/Europe but it's a OS used in some set-top boxes that let you scroll backwards in time in the programme guide and if an aired show is on an on-demand service it would let you launch the app and go straight to that show from the programme guide).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yomisei posted:

Here's my KS8090 (Europe) before (ignore reflection left and upper side, angry face always showing in high contrast scenes due to strong lights in the top) and during surgery:

Tech said the separate box handles hdmi signals and contains said receiver chips, while the rest is all handled on the mainboard, which is swappable unplugging 2 flat cables and a few single ones, then sliding the board to the right.

"Replacement" panel comes in the same sized box as the whole TV. Apparently this is still cheaper than to just give the customer a whole new TV.

Alright, this looks like what I'm going to have to go with.

...where do I start? Should I be calling up Samsung's support, or the retailer? Or is it feasible that I just buy a main board and install it myself (that seems to be what you're doing here) since they only seem to cost about 50 quid?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I've been staying with my grandparents for the last week and have noticed that their TV gets really bad reception. They have a Sceptre TV (No idea the model but its 40") hooked up to their antenna via an RF port on the back. The antenna they have is one they had installed on the roof 10 years ago and is all metal. Their picture constantly pixelates and glitches for all channels. Moving the tv (banging it) sometimes brings the picture back but usually you have to re-scan. If I forgot to mention they do not have cable or any TV service. They only watch free channels.

My grandfather has become really fed up and wants to get a new TV. He wants an LG and his logic is spend more=better reception which I think is a bunch of bull. He's extremely stubborn, as most old people are and wants to get a LG 43" Class UJ6300 Series - 4K Ultra HD, Smart, LED TV for $430. He has no blu ray player to actually take advantage of that resolution so I find the purchase to be a waste (maybe it's a good deal I don't know I am a poor college student). The questions I have are:

• Why is the picture pixelating on all channels? Could there be a short in the TV or is it just bad reception? Does the antenna on the roof have anything to do with the picture, I thought that was only for analogue channels?
  • Is there a better alternative LG budget TV that you guys would recommend?
  • Why do old people still blame everything on Obama (I poo poo you not that's what he does when the channel starts to go to poo poo)

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to help him out and was wondering if you guys could help. He won't go for one of those external antenna you put on the back of the TV either.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wizgot posted:

I've been staying with my grandparents for the last week and have noticed that their TV gets really bad reception. They have a Sceptre TV (No idea the model but its 40") hooked up to their antenna via an RF port on the back. The antenna they have is one they had installed on the roof 10 years ago and is all metal. Their picture constantly pixelates and glitches for all channels. Moving the tv (banging it) sometimes brings the picture back but usually you have to re-scan. If I forgot to mention they do not have cable or any TV service. They only watch free channels.

My grandfather has become really fed up and wants to get a new TV. He wants an LG and his logic is spend more=better reception which I think is a bunch of bull. He's extremely stubborn, as most old people are and wants to get a LG 43" Class UJ6300 Series - 4K Ultra HD, Smart, LED TV for $430. He has no blu ray player to actually take advantage of that resolution so I find the purchase to be a waste (maybe it's a good deal I don't know I am a poor college student). The questions I have are:

• Why is the picture pixelating on all channels? Could there be a short in the TV or is it just bad reception? Does the antenna on the roof have anything to do with the picture, I thought that was only for analogue channels?
  • Is there a better alternative LG budget TV that you guys would recommend?
  • Why do old people still blame everything on Obama (I poo poo you not that's what he does when the channel starts to go to poo poo)

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to help him out and was wondering if you guys could help. He won't go for one of those external antenna you put on the back of the TV either.

Normally I would say there's not enough signal strength, but if you can make it work by banging the TV and/or doing a channel scan, then maybe the tuner in the TV is no longer able to keep a frequency lock. You could test that theory by getting another TV or an inexpensive Digital TV Converter Box and connecting to the same antenna input.

If you get the same reception issues then there's not enough signal strength; there's no working connection to the antenna, or the antenna bent/broke/blew over at some point, or it's a highly directional antenna and it's not pointed at the transmitting antenna.

As you suspected, more expensive TVs do not have different/better tuners, an external wall-mounted antenna would probably work fine, and Obama is not personally interfering with your grandfather's TV picture.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Even if the antenna is only ten years old, there's a chance that it's not specifically designed to handle HD signals. There's also a chance it's not pointed in the right direction, which would be toward the aerials which are broadcasting the signals.

Type their address into this and it'll tell you where those aerials are, along with which should provide good signal and which might be 'iffy': https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

He really is wasting his money with a 4K set on OTA, and a 1080p with a much better antenna would likely be a better route to take.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd guess it's got more to do with the analog to digital broadcast change. If the antenna wasn't upgraded after the digital switch maybe it's not optimized for the frequency range in your country? I strongly doubt the TV will make any difference. A powered antenna might.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"If a 4K TV that costs $400 has a good tuner, imagine how great the tuner of a 1080p TV that costs the same amount is!"

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Thank you for the info everybody:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even if the antenna is only ten years old, there's a chance that it's not specifically designed to handle HD signals. There's also a chance it's not pointed in the right direction, which would be toward the aerials which are broadcasting the signals.

Type their address into this and it'll tell you where those aerials are, along with which should provide good signal and which might be 'iffy': https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

He really is wasting his money with a 4K set on OTA, and a 1080p with a much better antenna would likely be a better route to take.

This is the map that I'm getting so I can see that the signal strength from the towers is not ideal. I should probably re-position the antenna for him or get an indoor one. I asked him about the antenna on the roof and it turns out it's 40 years old rated at 150 miles. Personally, I think it's old and probably doesn't work good.

Here are the channels he gets in green (He gets 8 total but they are subordinates of these). I don't understand why he's not receiving other channels that are in the same range that he is getting but it probably has to do with other factors.

Evis posted:

I'd guess it's got more to do with the analog to digital broadcast change. If the antenna wasn't upgraded after the digital switch maybe it's not optimized for the frequency range in your country? I strongly doubt the TV will make any difference. A powered antenna might.

Rastor posted:

Normally I would say there's not enough signal strength, but if you can make it work by banging the TV and/or doing a channel scan, then maybe the tuner in the TV is no longer able to keep a frequency lock.

This is probably the most likely option but getting an external antenna to test out will probably be easier. I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick one up.

Thanks for the help everybody.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They do sell relatively inexpensive 50' telescoping rods that can anchor into the side of a house (so you don't have to pay ~professional erectors~ to come and install guy wires) - just put a proper HDTV antenna on the top of that and you've got a far better chance of getting stronger reception. That plus a decent 1080p set should run about what he was prepared to buy that LG 4K set for.

Also, any "4K" television under $500 is virtually guaranteed not to be standards-compliant for when *actual* 4K broadcasts start going out. I just bought a 930E and the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) standard was only very recently added via firmware to only the 900E and above. It's also widely accepted that any 'cheap' television, no matter whose name is on the box/cabinet, is a crap shoot as to who *actually* made it and whose panel resides within it.

Failing that, just buy their 150 mile antenna suggestion and cross your fingers: https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 17, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Digital TV uses the same frequencies analog did. You don't need an antenna made for hd. You just need the proper antenna for your local be it tuned for uhf, vhf, or both. And aim it properly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Could also be as simple as a bad RF cable coming from the antenna. Obama probably broke in one night and kinked it back and forth several times to break the wires inside.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alright, I'm joking. Obama wouldn't do that. He'd pay someone else to do it. He only has so much time, after all.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
This is obviously what Hillary is hiding in her emails.

Real talk though, if the cable connecting the antenna is also 40 years old it could very easily be the issue.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

Digital TV uses the same frequencies analog did. You don't need an antenna made for hd. You just need the proper antenna for your local be it tuned for uhf, vhf, or both. And aim it properly.

Yes and no. The overall TV bands haven't changed, but a lot of stations did move frequencies so they don't actually exist on the channel they claim to be. Lots of stations moved from VHF to UHF and to a lesser extent vice versa. What was a proper antenna for your area might not be anymore, but a lot of people don't realize that because the numbers stayed the same.

Here in the Cleveland area for example out of our big four network affiliates only one is actually on the frequency their historical channel number points to. NBC "3" is actually on 17. ABC "5" is actually 15. CBS "19" is actually 10. Only the Fox affiliate on 8 actually kept their frequency when they turned off analog.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wizgot posted:

I asked him about the antenna on the roof and it turns out it's 40 years old rated at 150 miles. Personally, I think it's old and probably doesn't work good.

I wouldn't assume that antennas get worse with age, like other consumer electronics. The antenna itself is likely fine and performs as it should, although maybe the connection to it could be suspect, like what earlier posters are saying. It may be that it may not be picking up the newer, different TV channel frequencies as well.

For example, at my apartment, I get all of the local TV channels with my small, cheap, flat UHF antenna, but I do not receive at all a local, nearby station with a strong signal which is broadcast in the low VHF 'Lo-V' band because my antenna does not pick up the lower frequencies as well.

Edit: I just read your table and it looks like you are only getting high band VHF signals from Sacramento and a UHF signal from Stockton. Maybe the roof antenna is two really directional combo antennas, combined with a diplexer, pointing in two different directions which need to be re-oriented? It is a little puzzling. I'm not sure why you aren't getting the Stockton UHF CBS station too.

Edit2: I just read reviews of people using similar indoor antennas to me, and others are reporting that they can receive that low VHF channel in my area. Maybe it is my TV tuner, or maybe my old apartment has a lot of RF interference at those frequencies. It is puzzling.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 17, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolrah posted:

Yes and no. The overall TV bands haven't changed, but a lot of stations did move frequencies so they don't actually exist on the channel they claim to be. Lots of stations moved from VHF to UHF and to a lesser extent vice versa. What was a proper antenna for your area might not be anymore, but a lot of people don't realize that because the numbers stayed the same.

Here in the Cleveland area for example out of our big four network affiliates only one is actually on the frequency their historical channel number points to. NBC "3" is actually on 17. ABC "5" is actually 15. CBS "19" is actually 10. Only the Fox affiliate on 8 actually kept their frequency when they turned off analog.

Still has nothing to do with being a "digital" or "hd" antenna. Nothing about that contradicts my statement.

"You just need the proper antenna for your local be it tuned for uhf, vhf, or both. And aim it properly."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

Still has nothing to do with being a "digital" or "hd" antenna. Nothing about that contradicts my statement.

"You just need the proper antenna for your local be it tuned for uhf, vhf, or both. And aim it properly."

"Digital TV uses the same frequencies analog did." is true on an overall sense but is often untrue in a specific channel sense. That's why I said yes and no.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolrah posted:

"Digital TV uses the same frequencies analog did." is true on an overall sense but is often untrue in a specific channel sense. That's why I said yes and no.

Well yea a specific channels frequencies may have changed but its still the same range of frequencies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know 55" sets are considered *normal* nowadays, but when you're coming from a 2005 Sharp 32", something a whole foot wider and eight inches higher definitely gets your attention when the box is sitting in your den. :staredog:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Give it a week. It's sad how small even the biggest of TVs end up looking after you get used to them. It's worth visiting friends/family with small models so you can return and get the 'wow' factor again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Give it a week. It's sad how small even the biggest of TVs end up looking after you get used to them. It's worth visiting friends/family with small models so you can return and get the 'wow' factor again.

Well, the funny thing is that 32" TVs look positively small to me *now* because this is what my old TV looks/looked like:

It has a 32" screen but it's 3" shy of a 49" in diagonal when you take into account the speakers and gigantic bezel.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is true; we went from 46" to 65" and it took like two days for it to feel like it's about the same size the old one was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I look forward to 110" wallpaper OLEDs that won't burn in so you can just have it run the same color as your wall until you start watching something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I look forward to 110" wallpaper OLEDs that won't burn in so you can just have it run the same color as your wall until you start watching something.

Buy a current OLED and paint your wall black

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But current OLEDs aren't big enough!

On another note, my TV has absolutely ruined me for cable (and I even have FiOS which is still supposed to be best quality.)

It's soooooo lovely looking. I've moved all my premium subs to Amazon since it's an order of magnitude better looking. I'm buying more shows on Vudu now to get HDX streaming goodness for current show seasons. I'm also moving toward deferred viewing so that I can watch stuff on Netflix instead.

It's not price that's killing cable for me, it's quality.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 17, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TCL cancelled the larger and smaller versions of the P series.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/tcl-cancels-one-of-the-years-best-tvs-in-50-65-inches/

55" is all they are going to do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm setting up a wedding registry for my fiancee and myself, and while TVs aren't exactly a priority I was thinking of throwing a TV onto the list. I dont want to get too fancy, but I'm also a little gunshy about snagging a new TV since I'm waaaaay out of the loop on what the latest hotness is.

I've read the OP a couple of times, but is there a recommended sweet spot/baseline I should keep in mind with new TVs?

EDIT: I'm leaning OLED, but I've no clue how expensive they run.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What’s your budget?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
There seems to be a bunch of hoopla over a LG firmware update for the 2016 OLEDs that has made the HDR gaming mode significantly dimmer. Does anyone here have one of these sets and give can give impressions of the update? I'm still on the firmware that introduce the HDR game mode on my C6, 4.30.95.

Is this being significantly overblown by the Internet, or is it really that big of a deal?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dogen posted:

What’s your budget?

The better question is , how optimistic do I want to be with my registry? Cause honestly, I've got a fair share of wealthy relatives....don't know how much they care about my rear end, though.:v:

I think it might be smarter to consider a budget model, while also listing the "wishful thinking" model as well.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Realistically you're looking at upwards of $2k+ for a 55" OLED or $3k+ for a 65" one. I feel like that's a big ask even for rich relatives, or even if people end up pooling.

LG 55"
LG 65"

They basically start there and go up from what I can tell. Not that those in any way are bad sets. The displays are mostly the same as the higher end ones, just not as thin or missing a few extras.

You could always do what we did and ask everyone for money. Then again we had a year+ of my mother telling everyone that we really do want cash to start house hunting next year. We had a token registry for the old people who are uncomfortable with that, but there wasn't much on it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused what "HDR Game" refers to

On my E6, which is a 2016, I only have "HDR Effect" and "Game", there's nothing called "HDR Game"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can't select the mode until HDR is triggered. It lowers the response time of the TV so there's less input lag.

I don't game on my TV and even if I did I would have nothing to do HDR gaming so I can't really comment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ImpactVector posted:

Realistically you're looking at upwards of $2k+ for a 55" OLED or $3k+ for a 65" one. I feel like that's a big ask even for rich relatives, or even if people end up pooling.

LG 55"
LG 65"

They basically start there and go up from what I can tell. Not that those in any way are bad sets. The displays are mostly the same as the higher end ones, just not as thin or missing a few extras.

You could always do what we did and ask everyone for money. Then again we had a year+ of my mother telling everyone that we really do want cash to start house hunting next year. We had a token registry for the old people who are uncomfortable with that, but there wasn't much on it.

The displays and panels are identical along all models. Sound and glass cover are the difference. Ohh and the whole wallpaper one. Display and display features are all the same.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Shinjobi posted:

The better question is , how optimistic do I want to be with my registry? Cause honestly, I've got a fair share of wealthy relatives....don't know how much they care about my rear end, though.:v:

I think it might be smarter to consider a budget model, while also listing the "wishful thinking" model as well.

Don't be greedy. Ask for a smallish size in a model range with lots of room to upsize.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

You can't select the mode until HDR is triggered. It lowers the response time of the TV so there's less input lag.

I don't game on my TV and even if I did I would have nothing to do HDR gaming so I can't really comment.

I mean I have HDR on on my PS4 Pro and all, I just don't see anything that literally says "HDR Game"

I'm in "Game" mode, with HDR on, if that's what people mean

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Speleothing posted:

Don't be greedy. Ask for a smallish size in a model range with lots of room to upsize.

I was thinking closer to this, honestly, but every time I've tried being considerate of others when choosing registry items, I've had various friends and relatives tell me to not worry about it. If it was my own money you'd have to get me pretty drunk before I'd throw a ton of money at a TV. My roommate keeps suggesting to consider getting a 4k TV, in case that finally takes off, but those price tags have scared me away every time I've looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm doing a little bit of shopping for a friend. I picked up the Samsung KS8000 back in january and love it. I was looking in that area again, but wondering what the current "go to" is for samsung with HDR. Budget is max $2500 and preferably 55" minimum, so I don't think it'll be too hard to find something. I guess just what to avoid, or if there's anything particularly noteworthy to check out.