Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

I totally agree about Bugsmashers. The best part is their programmers don't seem to know enough about programming to realize the horrific insights they're providing into their clear lack of developer talent. The bugsmashers clown is just so proud that he writes computer code for computer games. They're too junior to realize they're writing code that is neither extensible nor maintainable.

Whoever puts together their shows clearly has no idea what's going on. Yesterday's AtV was a treatise on the entire game being a flaming wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Shhhhh! Listen carefully. He's typing right now.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

XK posted:

Whoever puts together their shows clearly has no idea what's going on. Yesterday's AtV was a treatise on the entire game being a flaming wreck.

shhhhHHHHH

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Do you even know who built this comedy gold mine with their own two hands??? That's right, me!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

There's no 'mantra of the thread' and there's no wider movement. We're all a bunch of idiots laughing at other idiots; The internet makes you stupid. To underline it even further, we don't worry about internet credibility too much. it's one of the reasons why we're feared in games, because taking the piss is far more fun than taking poo poo too seriously.

I ain't poo poo, and I try to keep it that way.

More seriously, take a beat and understand that biting the hook is a choice.

Right, the irony of this thread is the fact that CIG produces such little content of a "game" that idle hands are the devil's workshop. So a natural consequence is just poo poo posting to pass the time until the next gently caress-up. There are times it somewhat sort of dives into bad areas but like a demented gyroscope it tends to right itself quickly.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XK posted:

If the people buying the ships keep loving the show and buying ships that you could say ATV is working great in the short term. The problem is that the few whales they have left don't have infinite money and infinite money is the only thing that could finish game, so their long term strategy is real bad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

They're too junior to realize they're writing code that is neither extensible nor maintainable.

This this this this this.

I think I was five years in before I started coding defensively against changing requirements, and OO was a big new-fangled at the time. I've done a long partially-autistic <wink> post in the past about people starting OO throwing the loving kitchen sink into the base model without realizing the impact of build/teardown because they've overspecified.

Not only that, but failing to plan is planning to fail. Seems loving trite, but I'm now riddled with metaphorical scars over someone changing the loving plan halfway through because they forgot something.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

This is gunna be me for weeks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuoToHKCas4

Just replaced crippled irishman with internet warlord

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Look at the spaceship's doors wander off into space, while I don't mention the spaceship vibrating itself into pieces. These are some silly side issues, ha ha. We have a few little things to clean up.

Yesterday's AtV was literally a video of a game eating itself.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Toops posted:

The best part is their programmers don't seem to know enough about programming to realize the horrific insights they're providing into their clear lack of developer talent. The bugsmashers clown is just so proud that he writes computer code for computer games. They're too junior to realize they're writing code that is neither extensible nor maintainable.

Dev Chad McKinney was explaining to TouchdownTim just the other day about how they're trying real hard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6t88hh/delays_are_disappointing_but_i_dont_feel_like_cig/dlksss9/?context=3

quote:

I agreed with the comments with the code in quesiton, but please don't use my efforts to accept external criticism as a blanket statement that all our code is terrible. All game projects (especially large ones) have parts that are worse, and there's always room for improvement. Games especially are different from other domains in that you're making a creative product, not some sterile enterprise application. In games iteration is integral to the development process and often this requires pivoting in a way that is very hard to predict. The programmers on this team are insanely talented, their hard work and ingenuity is something to applaud.

Tim told him to get another job.

quote:

Please don't take my comments as personal. Even talented employees like your team when poorly managed can slide into poor work practices. It wasn't a slight against you personally, but against whoever oversees the codebase and establishes the work practices. You say that was an exceptional incident? Well I haven't seen it be much different in other glimpses of the code we have seen.

Its the product of being overworked, rushed, and poorly managed. Its not really your fault.

As a sidenote. I'd recommend you and anyone with you seek another position at another company. I know they keep sections of the company in the dark and theres a reason for that. But a lot leaks. Take your talents elsewhere while its still marketable. You are never going to be able make a AAA quality product with the way things are run there.

Best of luck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

This this this this this.

I think I was five years in before I started coding defensively against changing requirements, and OO was a big new-fangled at the time. I've done a long partially-autistic <wink> post in the past about people starting OO throwing the loving kitchen sink into the base model without realizing the impact of build/teardown because they've overspecified.

Not only that, but failing to plan is planning to fail. Seems loving trite, but I'm now riddled with metaphorical scars over someone changing the loving plan halfway through because they forgot something.

When was the first time you put a number or a const first in a comparison statement? :D

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

us content creators

Thanks, Ryan Archer.

I remember when you threatened to dox everyone that disagreed with you in the old thread, to the point where obvious non-shills were deciding not to post because it was easier than running the risk of you trying to ruin someone's life because you're a loving thin-skinned moron.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Maybe someone pointed it out already, but that PC basically shows the same segment of code all day long and nobody really seems to be working on it / adding / removing stuff.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you even know who built this comedy gold mine with their own two hands??? That's right, me!

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has games, and those have to be guarded by men with forums accounts. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Beet Wagon? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the goons, and you curse the Battlecruiser devs. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that my refund, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties; you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum! We use words like parp, stimpire, refactoring, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making fun of something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very signal-boost that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a twitter account, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat, what you think you are entitled to!

Polish Avenger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 18, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Ah, we're in the hostile end of the "thread's reaction to Derek" spectrum.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Polish Avenger posted:

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has games, and those have to be guarded by men with forums accounts. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Beet Wagon? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the goons, and you curse the Battlecruiser devs. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that my refund, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you talk about parties; you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum! We use words like parp, stimpire, refactoring, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making fun of something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very signal-boost that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a twitter account, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat, what you think you are entitled to!

You're god drat right I parp'd!

lmao

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

XK posted:

I don't normally sit through ATV but I can recommend without reservation the first 9 minutes of this week's edition.

https://youtu.be/KN7HOzS2W2Y

If you are pressed for time, just watch up to the part where the guy explains problems with mocap and counters.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I literally have a headache from laughing jesus christ

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Erenthal posted:

Holy gently caress each quest giver must cost millions of dollars in production by now with Chris's promise of each quest being uniquely hand crafted with mocap and voice acting.

3 hours after hypothetical launch players will have done every quest two times over.

I don't think it will be that fast. Considering all the glitches and CTDs...

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Been a while since I've seen anyone pull regdate rank. Of course it's Derek so he does with a 2010 reg while claiming he had actually called it from the very day Lowtax founded the forums.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Oddly enough a game I backed on Kickstarter 5 years ago finally hit 1.0 a day or so ago.

https://www.castlestory.net/

I think I kicked in $15 5 years ago, mostly because they're fellow Canadians & it looked kinda cute. It's not shooty spacemans, but it's pretty cute & reasonably fun. I'd recommend picking it up once it inevitably gets tossed into a Humble Bundle or whatnot. They've been pretty open along the way & it's been interesting to see how & where they hosed the pooch plus the subsequent recoveries.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He's probably DMing lowtax on twitter trying to get proof of his "real" regdate so he come back and drop a devastating own on everyone laughing at his meltdowns.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tippis posted:

When was the first time you put a number or a const first in a comparison statement? :D

Why the gently caress is this triggering something back in my lizard brain, but I can't quite reach it?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I've been part of the NRA since the very beginning, I was there when it was founded!

*looks directly into the barrel*

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

King Kong aint got poo poo on me! I was a monster before he was even born! What a loving idiot!

*begins to climb skyscraper as planes circle*

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

big nipples big life posted:

No, I just pointed out ages ago that Derek Smart vs Star Citizen isn't about Star Citizen or some righteous crusade to help the poor, misinformed backers or even the most noble of goals, loling at idiots, it is about promoting Derek Smart because Derek Smart is self obsessed piece of poo poo.

So again.. Called It :smuggo:

Derek is a heat sink for misdirected backer frustration and rage. It's funny how elegantly this has worked out.

1) Derek feeds off the contempt of furious detractors, knowing that the angrier they are at him, the more he's succeeded at consuming their thoughts and tormenting their spirits. (They're writing novels daily about a person they claim has no talent and no consequence. Yet his consequence is proven by the extent of their efforts at disproving it for his talent is trolling.)

2) Backers are rightly pissed and need an outlet. Chris, given his affable disposition and starry-eyed proclamations, will always be the backers "right" choice in a false dichotomy pick between himself and Derek. As long as Derek shares the stage with Chris, Chris is the easy pick for backers. They "win" a false choice based on favorability of personality.

3) Chris benefits greatly from the theatrical villainy of Derek's trolling, for it keeps Chris from sharing the stage with his TRUE mortal enemy, that being yesterday's Chris and his attendant claims and promises. This allows present Chris to keep LARPing as Future Chris, Director of the Most Ambitious Game in History, and channeling his energies and attentions into the next commercial or demo for that game. The more fidelitous the better, he's trying to brute force his way into the Pantheon of Modern Gaming Gods via his usual overcompensation techniques (polycount overkill, competitor feature oneupmanship, perpetual tinkering with finished assets, etc.) "Please God let me run out this string a little longer... My guys in Frankfurt, I just know they can crack this nut, turn lead into gold and save this thing... just a little more time... Pleeeease?"

4) Goons are cockroaches and can subsist off such a wide variety of garbage that the above three sources - Chris lols, Derek lols, backer lols - will keep them feeding and sometimes feasting.

There's little that's especially healthy about this ecosystem. It's a bizarrely efficient and self-sustaining set of loops fueled by the dysfunctions and unfulfilled longings of its constituent players. It shall continue as it has until the unbearable tensions straining Chris's infernal machine either blow it apart (as skeptics predict) or are relieved via The Long Awaited Breakthrough that finally sees the machine spitting out the Promethean fire Chris promised to steal from the heavens and deliver.

The quiet drama lost behind the hugely entertaining sideshow is a race, with present Chris huffing and puffing to escape past Chris while charging people to convince them he's Future Chris -- he's hoping against hope that if he keeps it up long enough it might eventually come true.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

If there's a goon shibboleth, Derek just mispronounced the word and instead said, 'there's a front page???'

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Go gently caress yourself. I built this place. You and your 2007 reg date. I was around when this place first showed up, go ask Lowtax or any of the guys who were here since the beginning. I just had to rereg because I lost my original @ix.netcom.com email address access.

can't stop loling, please send help

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I've been here since the beginning of SA!

Huh? What's that? Well actually I have three sets of stairs in my house, why the gently caress are you asking, what kind of unfunny meme is this???

XK
Jul 9, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

I don't normally sit through ATV but I can recommend without reservation the first 9 minutes of this week's edition.

If you are pressed for time, just watch up to the part where the guy explains problems with mocap and counters.

This is just a video of airplanes crashing into buildings.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Seriously, though, I can only assume they don't realize what this video shows. It's a loving nightmare.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TouchdownTim seems pretty good at "signal boosting". Can we make him our new cult leader?

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I have dreams about the discovery stage of that shitshow.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Been a while since I've seen anyone pull regdate rank. Of course it's Derek so he does with a 2010 reg while claiming he had actually called it from the very day Lowtax founded the forums.

Sounds like something a 2008 would say.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

There's no 'mantra of the thread' and there's no wider movement. We're all a bunch of idiots laughing at other idiots; The internet makes you stupid. To underline it even further, we don't worry about internet credibility too much. it's one of the reasons why we're feared in games, because taking the piss is far more fun than taking poo poo too seriously.

I ain't poo poo, and I try to keep it that way.

More seriously, take a beat and understand that biting the hook is a choice.

Good points: :five::five:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Why the gently caress is this triggering something back in my lizard brain, but I can't quite reach it?

Because everyone who's tried their hand at programming will at one point have been bitten by the x = 8, when they meant x == 8, and sworn to switch to 8 == x style ever after… only to figure that it's much easier to just be a bit more stringent in their use of the = key instead. :haw:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek Smart: "I'm not melting down, I BUILT this place!" :smuggo:

Goons: *smell blood in the water, begin spasming orgasmically behind the ignore filter*

Love you Uncle Derek, thanks for keeping this place lively.

Polish Avenger posted:

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has games, and those have to be guarded by men with forums accounts. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Beet Wagon? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the goons, and you curse the Battlecruiser devs. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that my refund, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties; you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum! We use words like parp, stimpire, refactoring, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making fun of something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very signal-boost that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a twitter account, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat, what you think you are entitled to!

:five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Polish Avenger posted:

:perfect:
:five::five::five::five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

XK posted:

I actually don't get it either. Imo, it's good coding practise to do so.

if(someVariable == CONST_AND_OR_MAGICNUMBER)

vs.

if(CONST_AND_OR_MAGICNUMBER == someVariable)

if I mistype the first because no coffee or whatever and I type

if(someVariable = CONST_AND_OR_MAGICNUMBER)

I have a loving bug which I have to trace down, because it compiles, but heck it doesn't compile into what I actually meant

if I mistype the == on the second notion, I have a loving compiler error which I pick up immidiately and it won't compile into running code