Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zerilan posted:

It feels a lot more earnest about it than other series with super genius protagonists tend to be.

It probably helps that the author seems to be sticking to science that he understands and can explain, rather than "being smart makes you an actual wizard who can do anything and don't got to explain poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also its pretty central to the premise that science can be learned and more importantly, taught.
Whats the point of a nation of science if only senku has the super genius that makes it work

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like that Senku also admits it's pretty lovely Ramen too cause he is not a very good cook.

It tasted bad to Senku because it used wild ingredients that aren't bred by humans to be better tasting like common cultivated grains are.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paracelsus posted:

It probably helps that the author seems to be sticking to science that he understands and can explain, rather than "being smart makes you an actual wizard who can do anything and don't got to explain poo poo."

Boichi has a physics degree so that will definitely help

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also its pretty central to the premise that science can be learned and more importantly, taught.
Whats the point of a nation of science if only senku has the super genius that makes it work

Senku isn't overbearing or annoying because he's very aware of his own limitations. He attributes his victories to science, not his genius brain. He reveres the power of Science and simply sees himself as a skilled practitioner.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

MachuPikacchu posted:

Senku isn't overbearing or annoying because he's very aware of his own limitations. He attributes his victories to science, not his genius brain. He reveres the power of Science and simply sees himself as a skilled practitioner.

That helps for sure. The fact Senku himself regards science with like, childlike wonder instead of using it as a way to prove himself superior to anyone really helps too. It's what makes it so adorable. It has a nice Skies of Arcadia-like optimism to it and I enjoy it a lot.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
make a water wheel dude

what's with this hand bellows stuff, you have a waterfall available and everything

also why do you need phosphorous to make sodium hydroxide, don't you just have to run electricity through brine?

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Just stopping by to say that Chrome is the best secondary character.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jazu posted:

make a water wheel dude

what's with this hand bellows stuff, you have a waterfall available and everything

also why do you need phosphorous to make sodium hydroxide, don't you just have to run electricity through brine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVV4xeWBIxE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

Boichi has a physics degree so that will definitely help

There's a note between panels on a random page each week in the VIZ version listing a science consulant I believe. At first I thought it was a T/N for some piece of in world text I couldn't find.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Usually I hate stories with super genius protagonists because they tend to be extremely insufferable, but I love Senku and this manga's been pretty solid so far.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Senku is kind of ironic, or caricatured, not self-inserty. Like with the faces he makes.

Looking forward to learning how to synthesize sulfonamides from natural ingredients.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Part of me is thinking maybe when they pitched this concept to Jump, Senku was the only protagonist and Taiju was suggested by their editor or the higher-ups as a "more conventional hero." It would explain why 's so much less interesting than Senku and why he's now been gone for several chapters. Hopefully they're using the split-up as a way to draft up some ways to make him a better character.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's somewhat ironic that for iron they need absolutely ridiculous stamina and Taiju is no longer around.

I'm also wondering why he's not using better methods for pushing air. Even assuming he can't use a stream or water power to create autonomous airflow, human legs have far more stamina and raw power than arms so why not go with a treadmill, or a step-bellows? The latter could be made even more mechanically efficient by having it a dual bellows where you can use a lever to create a see-saw type thing where when 1 person steps on it, another person on the other side steps on it and it rocks back and forth constantly. That would give much greater airflow for a much, much smaller stamina cost.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Senku doesn't always think up the best idea right away. We've already seen a couple of times where he couldn't think of things on his own, like the grapes into wine, or the north star changing position.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Senku is basically the guy who's mentally processing ten billion things at once and ends up not noticing some simple observations because of it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/23/page/1

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was wondering when Taukasa was going to come back into the picture

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was enjoying the civ stuff, but a new adversary is good too

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
This is really good, especially because the new character is the type that can "fight" with Senku. Considering this is written by the ES21 dude, I fully expect ridiculous plans and counterplans, which will be just great.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goddamm do I love the little imaginary panels

Kinrou-Guts was great

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I freaking love all the little background things that are happening in this chapter. Like Ginrou getting beat up after finally getting his noodles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't really get the whole "trick" thing but I did skim the chapter fairly quickly while cooking.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i think it was just asking a question at an unexpected moment to provoke an automatic reaction

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Goddamm do I love the little imaginary panels

Kinrou-Guts was great
But why does it have Materia slots?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, the trick was asking him about the others to try and provoke an automatic reaction other than "Who?" To prove that mental-guy did have contact with others, and had not been alone as he claimed. It's sort of the opposite of the old "You're from X? Then you must know Mister Y" "Sure do." "I made him up" kind of exchange.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the idea was to make him so exhausted he couldn't think, so that he would respond truthfully.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
So what's the over/under on the number of times this new character switches sides?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Man, Tsukasa is really no slouch at the civ game either. It feels like by the time our hero has finally gotten this one tribe to join him, Tsukasa will have scouted out all his neighboring territories and conquered half of them. There's a looming sense of pressure that this really is a race.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

FAT BATMAN posted:

Man, Tsukasa is really no slouch at the civ game either. It feels like by the time our hero has finally gotten this one tribe to join him, Tsukasa will have scouted out all his neighboring territories and conquered half of them. There's a looming sense of pressure that this really is a race.

Tsukasa is doomed to fail though, and not just because he's a Manga antagonist. Mankind has always been a scientific species because we're problem solvers who gravitate towards the most efficient way of doing things. That's what the Kingdom of Science is gonna be - finding the better way of doing things.

Tsukasa's society is gonna be 90% muscle power with the remaining 10% being use of the six simple machines. Senkuu's gonna be moving into steam power in like a year, tops.

And here we have Asagiri who wants "A good time with cuties". In other words, a hedonist. Which society will a hedonist gravitate towards? The one that requires more work to meet the same goals, or the one that grants an easier time of things?

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
To be honest it's still kind of vague how much primitivism Tsukasa wants, and how much he might be willing to compromise that vision in the face of competition. I mean, once you're willing to use weapons, it's a slippery slope. I'd really like a glimpse of whatever he is doing now, since I suspect his society-building efforts may not be as straightforward as reviving people and flexing at them until they join him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I read it as tsukasa not so much wanting primitivism bus more wanting a world without adults. instead of rushing back to the "corrupt" modern era he wants to have a redo and try to make his own utopia.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raBNUUj1-fY

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

khy posted:

Tsukasa is doomed to fail though, and not just because he's a Manga antagonist. Mankind has always been a scientific species because we're problem solvers who gravitate towards the most efficient way of doing things. That's what the Kingdom of Science is gonna be - finding the better way of doing things.

Tsukasa's society is gonna be 90% muscle power with the remaining 10% being use of the six simple machines. Senkuu's gonna be moving into steam power in like a year, tops.

And here we have Asagiri who wants "A good time with cuties". In other words, a hedonist. Which society will a hedonist gravitate towards? The one that requires more work to meet the same goals, or the one that grants an easier time of things?

tsukasa's ideology will lose but the threat he poses to senku personally is very real. tsukasa winning might not stop technology from progressing but it will slow it down by literally thousands of years, which is probably enough for him since I doubt he's thinking about what happens after he dies anyway

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tsukasa's ideology is dumb because humans age

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tsukasa's ideology is dumb because humans age

He isn't against people growing up or adults conceptually. He just blames adults for all the world's problems and injustices, and thinks that unless you start from scratch with the young, the adults (who are already uniformly corrupt) will just corrupt whatever new society you try and build.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

He isn't against people growing up or adults conceptually. He just blames adults for all the world's problems and injustices, and thinks that unless you start from scratch with the young, the adults (who are already uniformly corrupt) will just corrupt whatever new society you try and build.

that's the same thing. what, like the crappy adults tsukasa had to deal with came into being fully formed, without ever being young themselves?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

He's against reviving the old people who are petrified, my dude

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aurora posted:

He's against reviving the old people who are petrified, my dude

again, the young people he revives will eventually become old. unless he plans to purge everyone who hits a certain age, it is inevitable. fetishizing youth doesn't change human nature or stop time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah he just sees old people as too set in their ways

I for one enjoy this civilization manga and am glad we got this new village, although I'm curious when Senku is going to resurrect more people.