Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

dogstile posted:

Found a PC gamer article trying to pass off the goon Gordon Freeman poster as his own. That's particularly shameful.

Write the editor and publisher. That could be enough to hurt his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Anyone have a good collection of all the posters so far?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

dogstile posted:

Found a PC gamer article trying to pass off the goon Gordon Freeman poster as his own. That's particularly shameful.

Eh?

This is the goon poster:

This is the editor's poster:

While they do use the same pose, judging from the posters I've seen so far, a lot of people are using that pose since, well, it's a soldier giving a casual thumbs up. For the purposes of humour it's going get used a lot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You gotta have Bradford use Reaper to mop up 15 baby vipers in a single turn on the Snek King mission.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, at the risk of sounding really dumb, how are people able to access the poster stuff? I thought the expansion wasn't out until the 29th.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samovar posted:

Ok, at the risk of sounding really dumb, how are people able to access the poster stuff? I thought the expansion wasn't out until the 29th.

They put up a free standalone app on Steam called the Propaganda Center that just has the poster stuff. You can make soldiers in and and import/export your character pool.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The downside is that it doesn't load any mods.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shumagorath posted:

The downside is that it doesn't load any mods.

I thought it was hilarious when one of my characters with a delightful outfit and foot long moustache and animated hair turned into a generic bald man.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So it turns out If you want Gatecrasher to be super easy, just disable the narrative mission (Lost and Abandoned).

Apparently the game gives you a random faction to start at (or the specific one you chose in the advanced options menu), and more importantly, gives you a faction soldier as part of your 4-man Gatecrasher squad.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Exposure posted:

So it turns out If you want Gatecrasher to be super easy, just disable the narrative mission (Lost and Abandoned).

Apparently the game gives you a random faction to start at (or the specific one you chose in the advanced options menu), and more importantly, gives you a faction soldier as part of your 4-man Gatecrasher squad.

That's... actually disappointing. Guess that's going to be a go-to mod day one, un-nerf Gatecrasher.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Exposure posted:

It was my understanding from watching LPs that starting with a faction soldier is a Second Wave style option, not something that comes automatic if you turn off Lost and Abandoned.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Exposure posted:

As someone that has reset Gate Crasher at least 100 times doing Iron Man runs I am ok with this.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Vib Rib posted:

It was my understanding from watching LPs that starting with a faction soldier is a Second Wave style option, not something that comes automatic if you turn off Lost and Abandoned.

I wonder what'll end up being easier, Commander without Lost and Abandoned / free faction soldier or Legendary, but starting with a faction soldier.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
L&A is a stationary target you can build a team for, which I imagine is much easier to work around than trying to get in contact with the factions without that basic structure.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Bogart posted:

L&A is a stationary target you can build a team for, which I imagine is much easier to work around than trying to get in contact with the factions without that basic structure.

Eh, but conversely Mox gets auto-captured and as near as I can tell someone getting wounded in the first encounter with the Chosen Assassin is unavoidable, plus the first faction solider starts getting exp earlier when you get them from mission one.

I get the feeling that they "balanced" around L&A, free solider will be easier, and no solider will be (potentially much?) harder. I'm trying to figure it out because I want to do a release day stream and I don't want to do L&A, but it's annoying because it really does seem like that was their balance target. So I need to chose between commander with no faction solider or legend having one.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
God drat it, WOTC needs to hurry up and come out already. I'm getting the shakes to start a new campaign, but I really really don't want to with so little time left.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, checked it. Turning off Lost and Abandon doesn't start you with a faction soldier. That's a separate option.

To start with a faction soldier:

Turning L&A off is separate:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I think these propaganda posters speak volumes even without words

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

do green man gaming usually get you your key on time? i see they've got war of the chosen for 29.99 right now and would enjoy saving ten bucks, but not if i am going to have to wait to get my key at some random rear end not in time to preload time

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
impossible. xcom knows nothing of loss

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nordick posted:

I think these propaganda posters speak volumes even without words

oh no

Bogart posted:

impossible. xcom knows nothing of loss

WELP

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Squad wipes are often harder on the commander than the rookies.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

do green man gaming usually get you your key on time? i see they've got war of the chosen for 29.99 right now and would enjoy saving ten bucks, but not if i am going to have to wait to get my key at some random rear end not in time to preload time

It can vary. Does it say their supplier is directly from the publisher/developer? If so, it'll generally arrive on time barring unexpected delays, if not, it can take up to a week.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GMG deals directly with 2K, so yes, they are a safe place to order from for XCOM related things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

rabidsquid posted:

I've bought XCOM, Fallout 4, and probably half a dozen other AAA games from them and have always gotten my key prior to a game's release--usually 2 or 3 days prior. With that in mind, I bought my copy of WotC through them about two weeks ago and haven't gotten my key yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, I haven't gotten my key from amazon yet. I imagine I'll get it day of.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bogart posted:

I mean, I haven't gotten my key from amazon yet. I imagine I'll get it day of.

Probably.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have disabled all of the narrative missions so far and intend to do so again (having played them once). Over-long scripted missions on set maps are not where XCOM is fun.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Anyone else glad that we got a payoff to the whole quarantine zones thing in the novelization?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I just want to say I am kicking myself for delaying buying Anarchy's Children. These clothing and hair options are delightful.

After completing a rookie playthrough, I think I'm confident enough to do a run on Veteran with A Better Advent before WotC comes out.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's some changes that I've noticed in WotC YouTube walk throughs I've been watching that look quite cool. I'll spoiler just to be safe.

They've changed continent bonuses, neither of the people I watch are at the point of unlocking bonuses but I've seen the extra weapon mods and the swap without destroying a mod ability come up as either a research option or one of the rewards for sending someone to work with one of the friendly factions, which is nice. Also I saw that the weapons from the rulers DLC are now a research option, I wonder if that means that you can either field troops with more than one at a time or at least build a new one if it's lost.

I'm definitely hyped for this, especially after watching the official streams and the YouTube videos I've seen of it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Are you sure it's the original AH weapon, or the upgrades? The latter was in the base game.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's the originals, they've not touched the AH stuff yet.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Christopher Odd videos have them showing up as a 'Experimental Weapons' research option early in the game. I think it's unlocked by completing 'Modular Weapons'... so Freeze Grenades from a week in or so.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Christopher Odd is one of the ones I watch along with Marbozir.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

To start with a faction soldier:

ooh those options :neckbeard:

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Is there a mod for LW2 that lets you keep your equipment even if your dudes die? I thought I saw it once but can't find it now.

whoda thunkit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 19, 2017

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm a scrub so I'll probably be using time turner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
For some reason I can't get the images to post correctly so here's some links to posters I did for my dude's Lemmy, Leon, Mathilda and Scarface.

http://imgur.com/vWSBhH7
http://imgur.com/ZI813k0
http://imgur.com/KdAtYED
http://imgur.com/VljDokv