Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If you go to the Stephen King reddit you can still find it, the footage is really dark and hard to see but it's cool to hear more of Pennywise's voice.

Finished my IT re-read today. Forgot many things... I assume a lot of conflation between my memory of the book and the miniseries. The ending is less of a wet fart than most of King's endings, it's almost good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Two weird little things in THE END OF THE WHOLE MESS.

1) That the 'peaceful town' that starts the whole thing is Waco, Texas.
2) The off-handed mention that there's a wall built at the Mexican border.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

There's been a lot of good King-isms in this thread, and one that I've noticed in literally every King book I've read has been some variation on this:

A: "Hello my name is Ben Mears.
B: "Nice to meet you Mr. Mears"
A: "Please, just call me Ben"

I think almost any casual introduction of one character to another has one of these exchanges actually. I guess it's a nice little shortcut for an author to both deliver someone's full name plus show that these two characters don't hate each other just yet, but every book?

I could be wrong, but I remember reading or hearing that in New England (or at least the New England King grew up in) people put a ton of emphasis on family names. So the default is always to introduce yourself with your full name. I never lived in the area so I can't attest to that being accurate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I think his prose and language are fine and think the hardest thing to portray is the internally described fear he usually writes from the point of the person experiencing it.

are there any adaptations that even try this? seems like it wouldn't be too hard really, throw in some dreamlike effects, panicked closeups and the impression they're running through mud, maybe some body horror in the scene concurrently, bam primal fear captuerd

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, against my better judgement I just watched Disney's The Dark Tower. A story about the adventures of Jake Chambers, a young psychic with the power of the "shine" and his quest to save the dark tower... and our world.

Jake Chambers, a 12 year old psychic who's haunted by the death of his father, a firefighter lost during the line of duty, must escape the clutches of The Man In Black (Matthew McConaughey) before he can be used as a weapon because of the power of his "shine". Making his escape Jake briefly travels to a strange place called 'mid-world' where he finds himself in the middle of a vast featureless desert he must cross alone. At the edge of this desert he meets up with a colorful character, a man named Roland (Idris Elba) who has his own history with The Man in Black, and becomes Jake's reluctant sidekick. Happening upon a village, and after a brief fight where the evil orcs try to capture Jake, he and Roland use the town's teleporter to take them back to New York, where the rest of our movie takes place. In a classic fish out of water turn, Jake teaches his sidekick Roland about things of our world, like soda pop, while Roland teaches Jake about the Gunslinger's code. Trying to get more ammunition, Jake is captured finally by The Man in Black's agents where he's used to create a giant sky beam that attacks the tower, while Roland must finish off The Man in Black once and for all along with a room full of skin people in the movies key action scene. At the end Roland tells Jake he must leave, but invites him to come back to mid-world with him, as theres nothing left for him in our world.

Why did this movie exist? Who was this made for? What the hell did I just see?

Good god what a waste of potential all around that was. They should have just straight up adapted The Gunslinger and at least had a movie that would stand on its own even after flopping and ending up the only part of the story to get filmed.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 18, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

So, against my better judgement I just watched Disney's The Dark Tower. A story about the adventures of Jake Chambers, a young psychic with the power of the "shine" and his quest to save the dark tower... and our world.

Jake Chambers, a 12 year old psychic who's haunted by the death of his father, a firefighter lost during the line of duty, must escape the clutches of The Man In Black (Matthew McConaughey) before he can be used as a weapon because of the power of his "shine". Making his escape Jake briefly travels to a strange place called 'mid-world' where he finds himself in the middle of a vast featureless desert he must cross alone. At the edge of this desert he meets up with a colorful character, a man named Roland (Idris Elba) who has his own history with The Man in Black, and becomes Jake's reluctant sidekick. Happening upon a village, and after a brief fight where the evil orcs try to capture Jake, he and Roland use the town's teleporter to take them back to New York, where the rest of our movie takes place. In a classic fish out of water turn, Jake teaches his sidekick Roland about things of our world, like soda pop, while Roland teaches Jake about the Gunslinger's code. Trying to get more ammunition, Jake is captured finally by The Man in Black's agents where he's used to create a giant sky beam that attacks the tower, while Roland must finish off The Man in Black once and for all along with a room full of skin people in the movies key action scene. At the end Roland tells Jake he must leave, but invites him to come back to mid-world with him, as theres nothing left for him in our world.

Why did this movie exist? Who was this made for? What the hell did I just see?

Good god what a waste of potential all around that was. They should have just straight up adapted The Gunslinger and at least had a movie that would stand on its own even after flopping and ending up the only part of the story to get filmed.

I think some people ITT predicted it would be a waste of talent.

I couldn't even finish watching it.

So bad.

e: and I admittedly love some of SK's teleplays like Rose Red and Storm of the Century

DT was just awful garbage

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 18, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I could have lived with Disney's The Dark Tower if they'd just put the lobstrosities in the movie. And I don't mean a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo, I want those dim-a-chum ded-a-chuck assholes front and center.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well Manicured Man posted:

I could have lived with Disney's The Dark Tower if they'd just put the lobstrosities in the movie. And I don't mean a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo, I want those dim-a-chum ded-a-chuck assholes front and center.

Dang, I sure missed it. Where the heck did the lobstosities show up?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Tom Guycot posted:

Dang, I sure missed it. Where the heck did the lobstosities show up?

Supposedly (according to the director) you can see one on ice in the background of the Dixie Pig, but I didn't see it.

Man, I was mildly entertained by the movie when i saw it because i was drunk and had very low expectations, but what was Stephen King's excuse?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Supposedly (according to the director) you can see one on ice in the background of the Dixie Pig, but I didn't see it.

Should have had someone in the background boiling one up for her HONGRY CHAP

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Man, I was mildly entertained by the movie when i saw it because i was drunk and had very low expectations, but what was Stephen King's excuse?

He has really bad taste in things

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

He has really bad taste in things

Stephen King is often a compelling writer, especially with his short stories.

However, his taste in rock music is extremely dated and bad.

This one is okay but it has so many call-backs it's ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIr2gBiLuIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 19, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

One of the great tragedies of the Post Truck Period was his destruction of Midworldish phrases. Kan-an-Lach, Can-Tek, dud-a-chok were all more compelling than Taheen.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man when I read Mr Mercedes when it came out I always thought the plot was stupid but King was onto something with car ramming thing. There have been so many more car attacks since 2014 than there ever was before.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched The Dark Tower movie and it was p bad

the one good thing I can say is I thought Idris Elba was really good in it and really well-cast, but Roland doesn't really seem to have a role in the movie he's just there. He's not looking for the Tower or anything so what is he even doing

also Jake's mom was hot

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I watched The Dark Tower movie and it was p bad

the one good thing I can say is I thought Idris Elba was really good in it and really well-cast, but Roland doesn't really seem to have a role in the movie he's just there. He's not looking for the Tower or anything so what is he even doing

also Jake's mom was hot

It feels like theres going to be a 4 hour director's cut blu ray released. It seemed so chopped up and just pointlessly brief across the board.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ulio posted:

Man when I read Mr Mercedes when it came out I always thought the plot was stupid but King was onto something with car ramming thing. There have been so many more car attacks since 2014 than there ever was before.

Just imagine how Tom Clancy must have felt on 9/11.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Have any of you watched that new Mr Mercedes show? Its actually pretty good, too bad its stuck on some obscure US only network (Audience Network). It has no distribution deals outside the US it seems so downloading is the only option for any non-Americans.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just imagine how Tom Clancy must have felt on 9/11.

Richard Bachman definitely had a twinge on 9/11

quote:

Richards takes McCone and Amelia as hostages and has the plane fly low over populated areas to avoid being shot down by a surface-to-air missile. However, Killian calls Richards aboard the plane and reveals that he knows Richards has no explosives, as the plane's security system would have detected them. To Richards' surprise, Killian offers him a chance to replace McCone as lead Hunter. Richards is hesitant to take the offer, worried that his family will become a target. Killian then informs him that Sheila and Cathy were murdered over ten days earlier, even before Richards first appeared on the show, and gives him some time to make his decision. Richards falls asleep and dreams of his murdered family and a gruesome crime scene. With nothing left to lose, he calls Killian back and accepts the offer. He kills the flight crew and McCone, but suffers a mortal gunshot wound from the latter. Richards allows Amelia to jump off the plane with a parachute, then uses his last strength to override the autopilot and fly toward the skyscraper housing the Games Network.

The book ends with the plane crashing into the tower, resulting in the deaths of Richards and Killian. The novel closes with the description, "... and it rained fire twenty blocks away."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

Richard Bachman definitely had a twinge on 9/11
... how I could completely forget about "The Running Man" in the goddamned Stephen King thread, I do not know.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's rather telling that there's little talk of THE MIST tv show in here. But I have to ask anyway... Anyone been watching it? Is it worth any amount of time?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The lack of positive or negative hype that I've seen around tells me it's like a lot of mediocre TV these days--lost in the shuffle.

This video might be a bit too real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRNCD-Xm5c

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Have any of you watched that new Mr Mercedes show? Its actually pretty good, too bad its stuck on some obscure US only network (Audience Network). It has no distribution deals outside the US it seems so downloading is the only option for any non-Americans.

Yeah, I just caught the first episode. It was awkward as gently caress to watch with my mother, but looking good. A lot better than The Mist at any rate.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

It's rather telling that there's little talk of THE MIST tv show in here. But I have to ask anyway... Anyone been watching it? Is it worth any amount of time?

I was watching it but it just isn't all that interesting. Especially compared to the movie.

Mrs. Carmody dies in the first episode, she was the best worst part of the story

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I was watching it but it just isn't all that interesting. Especially compared to the movie.

Mrs. Carmody dies in the first episode, she was the best worst part of the story

well if that isn't proof that they don't understand the novella i dunno what is

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
It's important to point out again that film-Carmody was right about everything and only your blinkered atheistic mindsets prevent you from seeing that

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chernobyl kinsman posted:

It's important to point out again that film-Carmody was right about everything and only your blinkered atheistic mindsets prevent you from seeing that

So it really was when Drayton shot his son in the head to do the blood sacrifice (accidentally) that the mist cleared and but the army was already inbound, had been for a while.

Don't know if I can support this theory.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Actually now I think I prefer the novella ending.

Just hanging out at HoJos waiting for something.

Kind of like Salem's Lot, they didn't solve anything they're just waiting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't picture Hodges looking like Brendan Gleeson. If they keep going I don't know how they'll handle the cancer/weightloss plotline since Gleeson is a big guy. I kind of don't want to watch it because the Brady planning on poisoning the dog bits really got to me when I read it. When his mom dies instead it was a massive relief which is probably what King intended.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

syscall girl posted:

So it really was when Drayton shot his son in the head to do the blood sacrifice (accidentally) that the mist cleared and but the army was already inbound, had been for a while.

yes, and:

there's nothing in the film that gives us any reason to doubt her reasoning, and a fair bit that supports it. almost every major event in the movie has two possible explanations - one prosaic, and one divine. at no point is the prosaic clearly the 'correct' or only interpretation, but often the divine is subtly favoured.

example: the bugs break into the store and stab people, fulfilling Carmody's prediction that 'they' would come that night and kill someone else. the prosaic explanation is that we're shown men rigging up worklights; the lights attract the bugs. the divine explanation is revelation chapter 9, from which carmody quotes the third verse ('And there came out of the smoke [the mist] locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power'). It's worth looking at the next few verses and comparing them with the action of the scene:

9:4 - 'And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.' Recall that we are shown Carmody not being killed by a bug when it could have (again there's a prosaic interpretation [she was just standing still] and a divine [she offered herself wholly to God and was one of the elect]), but the girl who is killed (whose name I don't remember) had been shown committing the sin of lust with the soldier in the scene immediately prior.

9:5 - 'They were not allowed to kill them but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes.' The girl does not die immediately; instead we are shown her suffering in agony for what seems like a good while (of course not five months) before she died. Remember too that the bugs don't bite, they sting like a scorpion.

the fact that the army was inbound before the child was sacrificed is of no event; the mist only cleared for diet tom hardy and the viewers when the kid was killed, fulfilling her prophecy.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 21, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

yes, and:

the fact that the army was inbound before the child was sacrificed is of no event; the mist only cleared for diet tom hardy and the viewers when the kid was killed, fulfilling her prophecy.

In my fundamentalist upbringing I was always taught that the scorpions were AH-64 Comanches or Mil Mi-24 depending on who you think is Babylon the Great

And

NIV posted:

During those days people will seek death but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.
refers to Obamacare

But in the novella and the movie there's no way they lasted 5 months

In the tv show on the the other hand it'll be longer than that

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Huh? I'm up to about episode 7 and she looks fine to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Octy posted:

Huh? I'm up to about episode 7 and she looks fine to me.

I'm going to quote IMDB here:

quote:

Mary Bacon - Mrs. Carmody (1 episode, 2017)

1 episode.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I've seen the dark tower movie now, and it's not the worst thing i've ever seen. Just kind of pointless and a million wasted potentials. They could have done something interesting with that setting instead of generic action schlock.

E: its bad,

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've seen the dark tower movie now, and it's not the worst thing i've ever seen. Just kind of pointless and a million wasted potentials. They could have done something interesting with that setting instead of generic action schlock.

E: its bad,

It's worthless.

Since it's in the YA category it has been beaten senseless by Hunger Games, Harry Pooter, Twilight and Ender's Game

Narnia, three Hobbit movies Alice in Wonderland...

(I am upset because I wanted it to be somewhat faithful to the book and keep the ball rolling as a tv show and that's obviously not happening)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I'm going to quote IMDB here:

1 episode.

I see what you mean but she plays an altogether different character. The religious zealot who is based on Mrs. Carmody from the book goes by a different name. I'll look it up later.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Octy posted:

I see what you mean but she plays an altogether different character. The religious zealot who is based on Mrs. Carmody from the book goes by a different name. I'll look it up later.

Ah. That makes sense.

I prefer grocery store guy played by Isiah Whitlock Jr. though.

There are actually several good characters in the show but it just doesn't compare to the short/movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yes, and:

I really like that interpretation, but I've got to go with the Novella ending on this one. The ending of the movie has a hammy charm, but didn't really register with me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mind the walrus posted:

I really like that interpretation, but I've got to go with the Novella ending on this one. The ending of the movie has a hammy charm, but didn't really register with me.

God, it liked to loving crush me. Maybe being a dad to an infant boy had something to do with it but I remember feeling like I'd been hit by a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was everything after he got out of the car and the Mist clears. It was glorious in that "1950s Serial" way but it was tonal whiplash. The rest of the movie had that 1950s feel too, but a contemporary take, so going full-on ham after loving child murder did not work for me at all. There just needed to be 30-60 seconds more of pacing.