Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Appoda posted:

How's Cold Steel?

Even more anime in that the protagonists are students but still it's Falcom. You can't go wrong with their games really.

You really should give Trails in the Sky another chance. It's extremely slow at first but rewards you so much after it gets going. And it's best if you play the Sky trilogy before moving onto Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is on the 360, but either Fable Anniversary just sucks or Fable 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. I know the remastered graphics suck, but the load times are pretty bad too (and loading is every thirty seconds, these are short zones). I know the Steam version has an additional tweaked difficulty mode but it's sort of just boring now, too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tits and tocs

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Appoda posted:

How's Cold Steel?

I much prefer it to TitS, the story and writing may not be as good, but the QoL improvements more than make up for it. There's a turbo mode to speed up combat and cutscenes, fast travel around town, and a minimap that actually tells you where your quest objectives are. They also simplified the orbment system so it's much easier to work with, though I kind of miss messing round trying to maximize all the different colours to unlock new spells.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This is on the 360, but either Fable Anniversary just sucks or Fable 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. I know the remastered graphics suck, but the load times are pretty bad too (and loading is every thirty seconds, these are short zones). I know the Steam version has an additional tweaked difficulty mode but it's sort of just boring now, too.
The expansion to Fable did give it some extra content that it badly needed but I agree. I'm a huge whore for these kind of games but even I feel that the time and effort spent on making Fable: Anniversary could have been better used on giving Fable 2 the same treatment instead and give us a PC port of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fargin Icehole posted:

It was DOOM all over again, except I have not played Prey yet. Waiting for it to be cheaper.

Well it's currently 30 bucks and it's really good.

Speaking of Prey How far can I go into alien mods before the turrets start shooting at me?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Late to the party for sure, but JumpJet Rex is pure joy

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Late to the party for sure, but JumpJet Rex is pure joy

Absolutely. I honestly need to fire it up again since the last time I played it the game was still in Early Access, but even then it was lots of fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Speaking of Prey How far can I go into alien mods before the turrets start shooting at me?

Only like 3-4 points. It's very very fussy about that.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Most of the turrets you find are already brutalized by other Typhon though, and the ones that aren't go down easily (esp. with an upgraded disruptor).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There are maybe 7-10 active turrets in the game total, all others are broken. they're not an issue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

There are maybe 7-10 active turrets in the game total, all others are broken. they're not an issue.
And if you really want them on your side, it's usually pretty simple to sneak past and hack them.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
turrets are pitiful in prey

there is no real reason to fear or use them, considering the larger typhon enemies knock them down and destroy them extremely easily

also the typhon powers are fun so use them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The most damning part of the turrets is that the common Phantom enemy has a physics explosion as their ranged attack which knocks the turret over, effectively disabling it in a single shot.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I only really use them to kill mimics and that's about it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Prey, retailers in Europe are already dumping their stock for 20€ (30 for consoles) like it's going sour.
I just ordered a day one edition with the preorder DLC for 19.99 free shipping at gamestop Germany.
SAD

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cojawfee posted:

Well it's currently 30 bucks and it's really good.

It's cheap enough that I am considering one of two options.

One, a game that I've been waiting for years to play, that's prey, for 30 bucks. It's not a sequel to the original prey, but it doesn't have to be. I am willing to try what System Shock would look like this year.

Two, a game that i've been waiting for years to play, that's Hellblade, for 30 bucks. I'm looking for a story, one that has the balls to show stuff you wouldn't show in most forms of entertainment.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

General Morden posted:

turrets are pitiful in prey

there is no real reason to fear or use them, considering the larger typhon enemies knock them down and destroy them extremely easily

also the typhon powers are fun so use them

I killed many of the big monsters in the game with a bunch of turrets.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Setting up a killzone with enough fortified turrets yeah you can kill some of the bigger guys (although not Technopaths)

But just taking 1 level of Psychoshock also incapacitates those big guys and at that point you have any number of lethal options

Not me though I like to be a human purist who also doesn't use turrets because Prey is super easy when you've got the fully-upgraded shotgun

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

There's something I've dubbed the Witch's House test. Anyone curious about it, you should download the game and just play around for a few minutes. Then read the spoiler:

Did you know out of the 12 people I've shown the game to (10-16 year olds), only 2 people were able to figure out that on the first screen there was a path leading upwards?

Are they blind, there's even a sign!! And a road!!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

There's something I've dubbed the Witch's House test. Anyone curious about it, you should download the game and just play around for a few minutes. Then read the spoiler:

Did you know out of the 12 people I've shown the game to (10-16 year olds), only 2 people were able to figure out that on the first screen there was a path leading upwards?

i know that kids like five nights at freddy's and poo poo but witch's house seems like kind of a hosed up thing to show a literal ten year old?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Black Mirror is getting a reboot/remake :psyduck:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Appoda posted:

I did play a bit of Trails in the Sky, actually. The characters were surprisingly good! I fell off of it early on, in part because I had other stuff I was playing and also because the combat/presentation wasn't grabbing me (I think it was a PSP port), but I'll have to go back and give that one a look.

How's Cold Steel?

Do you like Persona 3-5? Its basically aping a little bit of that with the links system but still maintaining that Legend of Heroes flavor.

Also, which one of you wants to make your own Jurassic World Park?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Crabtree posted:

I remember loving modded Genesis back in the day.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Ok Hellblade is so goddamn pretty.

Just so goddamn pretty.
My sister played it, but I will probably give it a spin myself, to get the last 4 runes we missed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Crabtree posted:

Do you like Persona 3-5? Its basically aping a little bit of that with the links system but still maintaining that Legend of Heroes flavor.

Genesis 2? Hell yes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I hope they put some of that park management stuff into Planet Coaster :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please have actual management stuff instead of just being a canvas for insane people. :pray:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We can have both.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

We can have both.

I mean, yes, ideally. But Planet Coaster has all of one and none of the other so I will justifiably worry about it for the time being. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I much prefer it to TitS, the story and writing may not be as good, but the QoL improvements more than make up for it. There's a turbo mode to speed up combat and cutscenes, fast travel around town, and a minimap that actually tells you where your quest objectives are. They also simplified the orbment system so it's much easier to work with, though I kind of miss messing round trying to maximize all the different colours to unlock new spells.

There's a turbo mode that was patched in to TitS recently. The rest of your points are valid, though I think the only town that's big enough in TitS where fast travel would actually be useful is Grancel.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love TitS, especially when Steam is involved.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Crabtree posted:

Hopefully they don't half-rear end the actual park-building aspects like Operation Genesis did.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Speaking of Prey, retailers in Europe are already dumping their stock for 20€ (30 for consoles) like it's going sour.
I just ordered a day one edition with the preorder DLC for 19.99 free shipping at gamestop Germany.
SAD

Game stores still exist?

I remember the PC section, at least, getting increasingly anemic over the years as Steam and other digital distribution platforms gained in popularity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Every place that used to sell games now gets by on console racks and funko pops

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

dmboogie posted:

i know that kids like five nights at freddy's and poo poo but witch's house seems like kind of a hosed up thing to show a literal ten year old?

You'd be surprised how much it doesn't phase them. The idea didn't even cross my mind until some of them started talking about the stuff they watched on YouTube, this game is like nothing compared to that. You think all those kids don't watch Markipliers, Pewdiepies, etc.?

Actually, they find Ib much scarier even though the game is much more benign in a way.

FNAF is terrifying, by the way. I can't understand how these kids play it without getting a heart attack every few minutes.

Grapplejack posted:

Are they blind, there's even a sign!! And a road!!

After this, I can believe the HL2 devs about simplifying that one tunnel because one of the testers kept getting lost.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 21, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

When opening Deadly Premonition, clicking Play on the launcher just causes it to close and nothing else happens. Does anyone know how to fix this?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

When opening Deadly Premonition, clicking Play on the launcher just causes it to close and nothing else happens. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Out of curiosity, have you tried opening it in Compatibility Mode? Also, what's your OS? Someone might have found a different workaround.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A Bystander posted:

Out of curiosity, have you tried opening it in Compatibility Mode? Also, what's your OS? Someone might have found a different workaround.

Yes, and Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

You'd be surprised how much it doesn't phase them. The idea didn't even cross my mind until some of them started talking about the stuff they watched on YouTube, this game is like nothing compared to that. You think all those kids don't watch Markipliers, Pewdiepies, etc.?

Actually, they find Ib much scarier even though the game is much more benign in a way.

After this, I can believe the HL2 devs about simplifying that one tunnel because one of the testers kept getting lost.

Fair! These kids have a sterner constitution than I do; game legit spooked me at a few points.