Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish Alien Isolation had an auto difficulty that went up or down depending on how you were doing because it was hard for me to find the right balance between "this alien is real dumb" and "I took a step and now he's skullfucking my corpse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Alien: Isolation goes dirt cheap like every other week as it is. It is good, though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

This is actually a great recommendation but I don't think the series will ever leave the 3DS unfortunately. EOIV is off the hook good.

if you really really really have a burning desire to play a game like this, then it might be worth it just to buy the cheapest model 2/3 DS you can get and get the last few Etrian Odysseys. new one coming out soon, too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Kins posted:

In probably-should-have-happened-six-years-ago news, Brink is now free to play in some form.

I bought this game and liked it but it definitely was a let down ultimately. Super odd they're pushing it F2P now.

Apparently people are playing it too so I may have to reinstall to live back in 2011.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
*Breaks into room*

DID SOMEONE SAY ALIEN:ISOLATION?

So... yeah, get it. It's good.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

uber_stoat posted:

if you really really really have a burning desire to play a game like this, then it might be worth it just to buy the cheapest model 2/3 DS you can get and get the last few Etrian Odysseys. new one coming out soon, too.

everyone should own a 3ds

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Awesome! posted:

everyone should own a 3ds

Or, like most owners, three or four 3DSs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cage-free egghead posted:

I bought this game and liked it but it definitely was a let down ultimately. Super odd they're pushing it F2P now.

Apparently people are playing it too so I may have to reinstall to live back in 2011.
What did you like about it? I thought it was a terrible mess and learned my lesson that media blackouts = red flag. i wish we had refunds then.

the only good thing was figuring out early the only gun that didn't suck completely was some car5 smg or something and completely destroying whole servers, until it inevitable crashed and sound cut out or some other awful poo poo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 22, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is ESO worth ten bucks if you're a fan of the series or not really?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh definitely. It's totally playable in singleplayer ( I'd argue it's now being developed for singleplayer ), and has a lot of the same writing style/setup as Morrowind. It's a game made for TES fans, specifically the ones that really liked Morrowind.

It's also got a lot of the stuff you love from TES in general. Lot of exploration, finding cool loot, doing cool stuff, side quests, etc etc.

Just realize the starting island for your faction is not super representative of the rest of the game. They tend to be a bit more focused, with extremely short dungeons. Once you get to the mainland things start picking up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

ESO is a perfectly good TES game if you ignore all the MMO parts. It has more interesting and enjoyable questing than most proc gen Skyrim quests by a mile. Especially since Morrowind turned out pretty good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool, I'll pick it up!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A:I is good, but it went on too long. Also the alien loving cheats during medical, which is really annoying.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Kins posted:

In probably-should-have-happened-six-years-ago news, Brink is now free to play in some form.
Unless they literally just changed the price to 0 dollars (which I think is actually what happened here, there's no new DLCs) I feel sorry for anyone who spent any engineering time on this game in the past 5 years.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I think I played brink but I'm really not sure lol

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
War in the North is up on bundle stars for $3 - has anybody played it? I've never seen it mentioned. How does the co-op work?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gently caress you Steam for killing an exciting Armello game with my friend on second to last turn.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hollandia posted:

War in the North is up on bundle stars for $3 - has anybody played it? I've never seen it mentioned. How does the co-op work?

It's a totally serviceable arpg brawler. A little bland in single player, but I beat it with my girlfriend a few years ago and we had fun.

It also has Jeffrey. https://youtu.be/5HOlkacZwjs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is any of that poo poo in the bottom humble tier worth buying? Lakeview Cabin sounds like it could be cool

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's a totally serviceable arpg brawler. A little bland in single player, but I beat it with my girlfriend a few years ago and we had fun.

It also has Jeffrey. https://youtu.be/5HOlkacZwjs

As much as I enjoyed the Jeffrey bits, watching that was enough for me to take it off my wishlist. Cheers.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Palpek posted:

I guess I enjoyed Alien: Isolation.

That was a whole thread ago, you're practically a different person now

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

A:I is good, but it went on too long. Also the alien loving cheats during medical, which is really annoying.

Yeah that section is really dumb.
But you can cheat back by disabling the Alien in Isolation, just for dumb parts like that or the whole game if you'd prefer a more relaxed System Shocky gameplay. There is still the android dudes.

Hexedit this \SteamApps\common\Alien Isolation\DATA\CHR_INFO\ATTRIBUTES\ to ALIEN.BML like this:
"At the end of the file there is a line that sets the alien behaviour with "alien_behave" and replace it with "NoBehaviour" so the alien still is there in some vent but doesn't make anything. It is frozen."

It's interesting to see how it gets teleported around by scripts and stuff.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah that section is really dumb.
But you can cheat back by disabling the Alien in Isolation, just for dumb parts like that or the whole game if you'd prefer a more relaxed System Shocky gameplay. There is still the android dudes.

Hexedit this \SteamApps\common\Alien Isolation\DATA\CHR_INFO\ATTRIBUTES\ to ALIEN.BML like this:
"At the end of the file there is a line that sets the alien behaviour with "alien_behave" and replace it with "NoBehaviour" so the alien still is there in some vent but doesn't make anything. It is frozen."

It's interesting to see how it gets teleported around by scripts and stuff.

You can also simply unplug your computer. No electricity, no alien.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tsyni posted:

You can also simply unplug your computer. No electricity, no alien.

The alien shows up behind you if you do this.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

gazza posted:

new video game law: for every brutal, warmongering, genocidal, racist bad guy there must be an opposing force that is actually JUSTASBAD

the only moral path in life is ruthless neutrality in every possible circumstance

For every person with a legitimate criticism against a popular and successful game there has to be an equally loud opposing force that completely misunderstood the game's gameplay or plot on a fundamental level and then spends the next half of a decade loudly complaining about how objectively terrible it is on every level whenever even the flimsiest opportunity to do so presents itself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter is looking great, let's hope they don't bork the PC version somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBg6KnkpaXU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Guy Mann posted:

For every person with a legitimate criticism against a popular and successful game there has to be an equally loud opposing force that completely misunderstood the game's gameplay or plot on a fundamental level and then spends the next half of a decade loudly complaining about how objectively terrible it is on every level whenever even the flimsiest opportunity to do so presents itself.

And they all post here

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is any of that poo poo in the bottom humble tier worth buying? Lakeview Cabin sounds like it could be cool

lakeview is worth it yeah

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Digirat posted:

Monster hunter is looking great, let's hope they don't bork the PC version somehow

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. Aspire to more like me, I haven't enjoyed playing a game for almost a decade and I never have to worry about upcoming game being a disappointment.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBg6KnkpaXU

I'm sure the pc version will be great when it comes out a year after the console version

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zigmidge posted:

And they all post here

We are only the fetid sub step organism to the greater whole. And games need lots of preconception, a slight misalignment in design can magnify through the whole dumb place. So we need a law that developers are always allowed to delay their game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RBA Starblade posted:

yeah, it's got a lot of cool elder scrolls stuff and the DREADED LEVEL SCALING they added means you don't have to tediously grind a bunch of bad mmo quests and can just do the cool ones that seem interesting. you get to visit daedric realms, and not just boring ones like in Oblivion either. For example there's a sidequest where you can hang out in a daedric forest of talking crows and do stuff for them, and if you do they give you crow citzenship and a whistle you can call to have crows come and hang out with you cause you're their buddy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm sure the pc version will be great when it comes out a year after the console version

Which itself will be a year after the Japanese release.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kibayasu posted:

Which itself will be a year after the Japanese release.

It's supposedly scheduled for a simultaneous worldwide release.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wait so you guys are saying I can play ESO all by myself and not have to do anything MMO at all? gently caress, why didn't I know this before.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

exquisite tea posted:

I wish Alien Isolation had an auto difficulty that went up or down depending on how you were doing because it was hard for me to find the right balance between "this alien is real dumb" and "I took a step and now he's skullfucking my corpse."

There is some of that in how the AI director decides the alien's macro behaviour, and if you read up on what the director uses to measure “stress” you can somewhat manipulate that behaviour. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference the way it does in, say, L4D, but that's more because the microbehaviour is that much more complex than the run-at-player-and-punch the zombies had.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Digirat posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but I find this one kind of fascinating. I'm looking forward to it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenNight posted:

Wait so you guys are saying I can play ESO all by myself and not have to do anything MMO at all? gently caress, why didn't I know this before.

Yes, that's pretty much how all MMO's work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just don't like other people. Or having to raid, or wasting my time grinding. I dunno I haven't played an MMO since Ultima Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wipmz8xsGE