Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bardeh posted:

While this looks delicious and I eat sardines and avocados together on the reg, how is it a recipe? It's just mashed avocado on toast with sardines on top

The recipe calls for mixing lemon juice, lemon rind and marsala (I think?) vinegar with the sardines, and he toasts the bread using the oil from the can. It's a little bit of extra effort but it goes a long way.

It's more of a recipe than a pb&j sandwich at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

lemon juice, lemon rind, marsala (I think?) vinegar, and he toasts the bread using the oil from the can.

It's more of a recipe than a pb&j sandwich at least

hot drat, I take it back, that sounds drat good and if I can find some marsala i will be trying it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think it calls for marsala vinegar but it might be sherry instead. I have a bottle of it at home that I bought specifically for sardines so I'll check if I remember.

I sometimes leave out the lemon because I'm lazy but the vinegar and toasting the bread with the sardine oil are pro moves. Alton Brown specifies a thick, crusty fancy bread like Semolina but I actually like it better on regular sliced whole wheat or multi-grain.

My lazy sardine sandwich when I don't feel like cooking dinner is the marsala vinegar and sambal oelek on toast and it's loving delicious. Avocados are just too loving expensive right now so I haven't gone through the effort recently.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I love sardines

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
It calls for sherry vinegar; usually I use cider vinegar since it's cheaper but this time I got some red wine vinegar. You don't need much so the bottle lasts a long time. Also IMO zesting the lemon is a must.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh yeah

it's called zest and not rind and I had that wrong

I'm not a very good cook

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my girlfriend, on the other hand, is a terrible cook, so together we're going to have a hard time not starving to death

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Renegret posted:

my girlfriend, on the other hand, is a terrible cook, so together we're going to have a hard time not starving to death

fortunately you can just eat the dang dines out of the can

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I usually add them to something called a "salad" because apparently these "salad" things have something called "vegetables".

I'm not too sure what they are but I'm told that they're good for you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
KO picked a recipe of the month. Fishermans Huevos Rancheros:

http://www.killingthyme.net/2017/08/23/fishermans-huevos-rancheros

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

KO picked a recipe of the month. Fishermans Huevos Rancheros:

http://www.killingthyme.net/2017/08/23/fishermans-huevos-rancheros

Fisherman's Rancher's Eggs lol

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Admiral Bosch posted:

It calls for sherry vinegar; usually I use cider vinegar since it's cheaper but this time I got some red wine vinegar. You don't need much so the bottle lasts a long time. Also IMO zesting the lemon is a must.

yeah, AB and everyone was hot for sherry vinegar 5-7 years ago. If you don't have it or whatever, just get balsamic vinegar. The lemon zest is great - I used to do this 'dines toast when I had some other recipe that needed juice but not zest, so i had some reserved.
Maybe that's why I can't afford a house?
Pro move is grow lemon chillies (aji limon/lemon) instead, you get a lemony flavour with a mild heat and you can skip the lemon you might have to buy.

Aussie sardine trip report: I went to coles for more brands and they sell "safcol" brand for $1.50 (South Australian fisheries co-op ltd). They obviously don't catch them just sell them as "eurpean quality" "from the baltic and Mediterranean".
If you like the small 'dines, this is for you, 12 tiny sardines so some of you don't have to worry about bones or internal organs lol. Flavour was pretty bland (it was in plain oil but still felt more bland than JW or KO), but that didn;t matter as I had many tiny sardines on toast with pickles and slaw so I didn't need flavourful sardines this time. Better than the huge sardines that might mean only 3-4 per tin like brunswick I've had, maybe john west scottish sardines taste nicer even if only 6 per tin?
Pros: size, price Cons: just plain oil flavour, would be better in a nicer oil.
Get some of these if you're in australia and just want very, very mild tasting tiny little fishies for protein. JW>KO>safcol>brunswick
E: next I'll try the coles homebrand, but first I've got to eat the sole mare (another au company) mackerel in morrocan spicy tomato sauce - I hope it has harissa in it

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 25, 2017

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Just ordered a case of the KO in the Mexican hot sauce.

These better rock my world.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
ko is king oscar but who is JW

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you're making garlic & herb roasted Normandy vegetables, add a can of dines right after you take the vegetables out of the oven and mix it up real well to coat evenly. Garnish with a salty hard Italian cheese. Simple, effective, healthy, lazy. :discourse:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roki B posted:

ko is king oscar but who is JW

John West, a UK-based 'dine brand I see in the British foods section of my local Publix. I've never tried them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love me some gat drat kippers. Got a big stack in my pantry. Also stocked with tins of smoked oysters because they're loving good and I hear raw oysters can give you herpes or some poo poo. Also they're gross.

I love cracking open a kipper snack and maybe noshing on some pickles or maybe a nice salad on the days when I'm too lazy to heat something up (this is most days).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I love me some gat drat kippers. Got a big stack in my pantry. Also stocked with tins of smoked oysters because they're loving good and I hear raw oysters can give you herpes or some poo poo. Also they're gross.

I love cracking open a kipper snack and maybe noshing on some pickles or maybe a nice salad on the days when I'm too lazy to heat something up (this is most days).

Not eating raw oysters is very undadly and should be discouraged. Canned smoked oysters are fine, but an oyster that you shuck and eat with your own hands is far better. Different oysters from different regions can taste very different from one another, so if you've only had the big meaty ones from Safeway that you're supposed to barbecue then I can understand your confusion and would encourage you to do better in the future.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Smoked are good but they're one of the least good ways to eat oysters imo. Would rank:

1. Raw
2. Baked/Grilled
3. Fried
4. Smoked
5. Steamed

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Yeah 2 through 5 look pretty choice to me.

Hey guys who don't like anchovies, when I was in Korea they had this really tasty side dish that was served all the time at restaurants. It was these really tiny dried baby anchovies. Really chewey and savory, and not at all salty as gently caress like the stuff you've had on pizza. If you live near a Korean joint, your anchovy adventure could be underway as early as lunchtime tomorrow!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Raw oystahs are the tits.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like canned trout. The stuff from Trader Joe's is great, it's unfortunate it's packed in canola oil and not olive oil though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

John West, a UK-based 'dine brand I see in the British foods section of my local Publix. I've never tried them.

Yeah, John west is mainly known for it's tuna and salmon, but the sardines are great because they use a better quality oil. They claim EVOO and I'm not sure if it is, but definitely a better quality oil than safcol, ko or brunswick.

John west have a huge range for tuna though, it's their main line and it comes in more flavours than you think possible: tuna with nam jim, malaysian curry, indonesian sambal, chipotle, sriracha, korean bbq, jalapeno, tomato and basil, lemon, mango chilli, indian curry, sweet chilli, mustard. Also other lines of meal/snack pack like tuna with beans, tuna slices, tuna with rice, tuna with rice and green curry, with quinoa, with brown rice and red curry.

I just like their "smoked" tuna flavour. Goes well with my own wasabi/dyed horseradish

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 26, 2017

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bengy81 posted:

I like canned trout. The stuff from Trader Joe's is great, it's unfortunate it's packed in canola oil and not olive oil though.

Their mackerel is good too!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

Cole's Smoked Rainbow Trout in Olive Oil is amazing. My wife hates sardines and anchovies and literally gags if I open a can of tuna, but even she loves the trout. It's splurgy compared to other canned fish, but sometimes it goes on sale at Fresh Market, so I always keep a few cans on hand for her.

http://www.colestrout.com/coles-trout/coles-smoked-trout-in-olive-oil

I must admit that I finally tried KO Mackerel and didn't like it at all. As much as I love mackerel sashimi, I'm gonna stick to 'dines and kippers for my canned fishies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you live in the Puget Sound region go catch some squid. They are really starting to come in good numbers now on the west side.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
for a short period of time there was this restaurant near me that was a raw oyster bar/scotch bar and it sounds weird but actually it was delicious as gently caress mixing the two and like for real try it some time eat the oyster then dump some scotch in the shell with the brine and slurp it up, but unfortunately it tried way too hard to be ultra hipster and was hella over priced on oysters with like half the menu being like $8+ per so they folded pretty quick. Now they are a bar that serves like $3-4 apps that are really good and are doing much better

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

When I barbecue oysters sometimes I make a little bit of garlic butter with a splash of whiskey in it, then spoon some of those in the shell as they cook. Smoky scotch works very well in this capacity.

LingcodKilla posted:

If you live in the Puget Sound region go catch some squid. They are really starting to come in good numbers now on the west side.

Maybe I'll do this since the humpy run this year sucks, and I'm going to switch up to squid for surf perch bait. Do we need a GBS fishing thread?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

When I barbecue oysters sometimes I make a little bit of garlic butter with a splash of whiskey in it, then spoon some of those in the shell as they cook. Smoky scotch works very well in this capacity.

Maybe I'll do this since the humpy run this year sucks, and I'm going to switch up to squid for surf perch bait. Do we need a GBS fishing thread?

Every subforum should have a fishing thread.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah 2 through 5 look pretty choice to me.

Hey guys who don't like anchovies, when I was in Korea they had this really tasty side dish that was served all the time at restaurants. It was these really tiny dried baby anchovies. Really chewey and savory, and not at all salty as gently caress like the stuff you've had on pizza. If you live near a Korean joint, your anchovy adventure could be underway as early as lunchtime tomorrow!

I bought a jar of tiny baby sardines in oil(?) from an Asian grocery. Thinking of putting them on pizza, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Fintilgin posted:

I bought a jar of tiny baby sardines in oil(?) from an Asian grocery. Thinking of putting them on pizza, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

try them in your mouth

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Just picked up my first can of King Oscars,

fred meyers must be reading this thread

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live on the puget sound, how to I catch squids

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Find a pier with outlets to power a flood light or already has strong lighting. Bring a fishing pole with 12-15lb line. Also get some squid jigs.

Three to four is good. Separated about 10 inches apart.

Lower the jigs into the water when dark. Feel a tug and gently lift up. Shake squid off into bucket.

Helps to watch someone doing it. Usually a gang of older Asian men will be killing it. Just watch and learn.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Roki B posted:

Just picked up my first can of King Oscars,

fred meyers must be reading this thread

FM is and has always been the place to get your KOs. Mine has Tiny Tots, too.

I'm going salmon fishing after work and fully expect to get skunked. Any bites on the line are a bonus. I'm also half-tempted to start a fishing thread, but doing so while LingcodKilla is around would make me feel like a complete fraud.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Picked up some Wild Planet Mackerel fishies from my local Sprout's grocery. Never had the mackerel before but I like Wild Planet's other stuff especially white anchovies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've become a big fan of cod liver, though I'm increasingly concerned that I'm reeking of cod liver oil.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 1, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
What do you do with this stuff. What does it look like out of the can? What does it taste and smell like, and what is the texture?

Its supposed to be super good for you but I've never had the balls to order any.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't take a pic but here's a stock image that works:

Texture is soft, kinda buttery. If you've eaten foie gras, the texture isn't that far off. I don't think it's super strong in terms of fishiness (I would put mackerel over cod liver for that).

I've been mixing it in my morning kasha/fried egg breakfast. I do use the packaging's oil to fry my eggs, which is kinda nice. That said later on in the afternoon I feel like the cod liver oil smell is emanating from my body, either from my skin or deep down from my esophagus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Apocalypse posted:

I didn't take a pic but here's a stock image that works:

Texture is soft, kinda buttery. If you've eaten foie gras, the texture isn't that far off. I don't think it's super strong in terms of fishiness (I would put mackerel over cod liver for that).

I've been mixing it in my morning kasha/fried egg breakfast. I do use the packaging's oil to fry my eggs, which is kinda nice. That said later on in the afternoon I feel like the cod liver oil smell is emanating from my body, either from my skin or deep down from my esophagus.

Yeesh. Does it have a bunch of membranes and poo poo in it? Like do you have to take it apart or could you eat it in the dark?

Sorry for all the Qs but im very curious. I love foie gras (of course) and I don't think mackerel is too fishy.