Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mithross posted:

There are dual shock 2 to usb adaptors, you can still use a PS2 controller for many of your gaming needs.

Yes, I can and do still do this. Unfortunately, PC games all seem to assume you're using an XBox controller these days, and the buttons always end up mismapped. And sometimes the controller isn't detected at all. Presumably that could be worked around usinge Joy2Key or something similar, but it's a pain in the rear end. :(

Internet Friend posted:

A Wii U Pro Controller with the Mayflash adapter that makes it appear as an XBox controller is what you want my friend. The "triggers" are just digital buttons and it has a real D-pad. It's my favorite controller available for the PC right now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I will say I wish that there were modern controllers with four shoulder buttons, instead of two shoulder buttons and two technically-analog trigger buttons. Practically nobody makes use of the analog triggers in any meaningful way, so they just become an extra two set of shoulder buttons, except with more resistance.

Also, those crappy circle-based D-pads are awful. The PS2 controller was the ideal for me in terms of ergonomics.
Having multiple models would be cool, but driving cars needs the proper analog and the trigger feel is maybe too fun for a lot of people, so I think the standard will remain analog triggers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If they still sell wired Xbox 360 controllers, that's my recommendation. I love mine to pieces. It's no PS2 controller, but it's nice and bulky. Not disagreeing about the circle d-pad or the shoulder triggers, though.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The analog shoulder triggers also just don't work worth a damned. Ever tried to play Forza on an Xbox controller and made any attempt to finesse the gas pedal? You'll get what I mean real quick.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I've used a Dualshock3 with the third party Scarlet Crush driver for ages to make windows recognize it as a 360 pad. Never had any issues with it from Vista to 8 to 10.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Infra Arcana getting ANOTHER substantial update to v19.1!

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

I must have downloaded 19.0 thanks to this thread and wow, this is a really neat game. I don't care about Lovecraft besides making fun of him being a racist, but the game is genuinely neat in a lot of ways. It's pretty approachable, too.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The best thing about lovecraft was all the much better horror stuff he inspired.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

infra arcana strikes a good balance between flavor and making all of your choices meaningful. the change to how exp is earned also really mixes things up in terms of how you deal, or don't at all, with monsters and the like in a really cool way.

there's also not a whole lot of weird, oddly specific keybinds you need to memorize to play the game well. just remember that w is kick, which can open stuck doors or locked chests along with destroy zombie corpses, which is essential, and will also technically use an appropriate melee weapon if you happen to be holding it to make you better at doing it. another good thing to remember is G, which specifically unloads guns on the floor so you can just take the ammo with you.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Are there any Warhammer roguelikes? Seems like an untapped market.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think GW$ drops the hammer on anything that even looks at their IPs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

packetmantis posted:

Are there any Warhammer roguelikes? Seems like an untapped market.

I found a 7 day rpg where you play as an Ork, that's about it. Doesn't seem that great and I think it's more a flavour thing than anything happening with the premise.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/waaaghammer/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLxLEAPBUs

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

PMush Perfect posted:

I think GW$ drops the hammer on anything that even looks at their IPs.

Yeah Games Workshop is absolutely notorious for this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If they still sell wired Xbox 360 controllers, that's my recommendation. I love mine to pieces. It's no PS2 controller, but it's nice and bulky. Not disagreeing about the circle d-pad or the shoulder triggers, though.

I just reluctantly bought a Bluetooth Xbox One controller because Amazon is apparently incapable of shipping me the wired 360 controller I ordered three weeks ago, and it's actually dope as hell. The D-pad is about a million times better and the bumpers are a lot easier to hit; they changed the shape just enough that I can hit them with the middle segment of my index fingers when they're on the triggers, instead of having to either move my index fingers between the bumpers and triggers or keep my index fingers on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers. Seems like a small thing but it's really a huge upgrade.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

I just reluctantly bought a Bluetooth Xbox One controller because Amazon is apparently incapable of shipping me the wired 360 controller I ordered three weeks ago, and it's actually dope as hell. The D-pad is about a million times better and the bumpers are a lot easier to hit; they changed the shape just enough that I can hit them with the middle segment of my index fingers when they're on the triggers, instead of having to either move my index fingers between the bumpers and triggers or keep my index fingers on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers. Seems like a small thing but it's really a huge upgrade.

I bought one of those because I was sick of my kids ruining the cords on the wired ones. Now I have two of them because they are fantastic. 100% worth the purchase, imo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

infra arcana strikes a good balance between flavor and making all of your choices meaningful. the change to how exp is earned also really mixes things up in terms of how you deal, or don't at all, with monsters and the like in a really cool way.

I'm still in a bit of a honeymoon period with it, but I do really enjoy how they changed the XP system to not have anything to do with killing stuff. It really changes how I think about interacting with a roguelike dungeon, since my entire "training" thus far has been "if you can kill it, kill it, because get all the XPs you can".

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, just curious; what's the general consensus on UnReal World? I remember being interested in it ever since I saw Galaga Galaxian playing it (from memory) ages ago, but I haven't really heard anything about it, since then. I'm very much interested in roguelikes, and the survival aspect interests me, (although I'm not so keen on stuff like Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria - but the lone wolf aspect of this seems up my alley) so I'm wondering what you all think of it. Alternatively, have any other (more user-friendly) variants of the game been made, since this was first developed in the '90s? Since although I'm happy to put up with a slightly clunky UI and graphics, I don't really want to have to learn 50 different key combinations, if it can be avoided. (Or a print-off of the keys will work I suppose, if there are any floating around)

Also, if you all hold the game in high regard (I know it's in the OP, but that might be out-dated/there may be 'better' options out there for a newcomer) are there any beginner tips you could provide me with? I know there's a graphics mod that I'll get (assuming I go ahead with buying this, after these last few years) but are there any gameplay tips? Also, is there anything I need to do to get the mod(s) working on the Steam version, or is it pretty quick-'n'-easy to get that up and running? Thanks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, just curious; what's the general consensus on UnReal World? I remember being interested in it ever since I saw Galaga Galaxian playing it (from memory) ages ago, but I haven't really heard anything about it, since then. I'm very much interested in roguelikes, and the survival aspect interests me, (although I'm not so keen on stuff like Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria - but the lone wolf aspect of this seems up my alley) so I'm wondering what you all think of it. Alternatively, have any other (more user-friendly) variants of the game been made, since this was first developed in the '90s? Since although I'm happy to put up with a slightly clunky UI and graphics, I don't really want to have to learn 50 different key combinations, if it can be avoided. (Or a print-off of the keys will work I suppose, if there are any floating around)

Also, if you all hold the game in high regard (I know it's in the OP, but that might be out-dated/there may be 'better' options out there for a newcomer) are there any beginner tips you could provide me with? I know there's a graphics mod that I'll get (assuming I go ahead with buying this, after these last few years) but are there any gameplay tips? Also, is there anything I need to do to get the mod(s) working on the Steam version, or is it pretty quick-'n'-easy to get that up and running? Thanks

URW falls into the same category as ADOM or ToME in terms of "you can buy it if you like the game and get some kind of bonus, but there's a free version on the game's website too so you might as well try it out even if you're unsure". Although IIRC it was only in the last few years that UnReal World started doing the whole "free" thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Major Isoor posted:

It's really good. Not sure about mods, though. Here's a thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765969

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The new NecroDancer soundtracks are pretty rad

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
There is really nothing like Unreal World. The closest thing would be the new wave of crafting games but they usually aren't deep enough or go completely over the top where you can harvest trees to feed you infernal machine that ultimately produces nuclear power. UrW strikes a perfect balance of being deep but not going in weird directions thus maintaining its theme. I haven't played it for several years so I'm not sure how's the current state of the game, though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, well after reading the OP and early posts in the URW thread Chinook linked to, I'm liking the sound of it even more. Although I hate to ask this, I do have one other question - is it possible to play a 'non-permadeath' save? Since presumably I'll be dying a lot, and I'd like to be able to reload to try different approaches to situations, if possible - just so I can try to learn how to defend myself, etc. without needing to restart a hundred times.
The game sounds good, though! I take it you don't necessarily need to build a log cabin, you could find a cave and wall-up the entrance, right? (Although the stone walls and floor will no doubt be somewhat colder, than in a log cabin!) If so, can you dig further into cave walls/floors, in order to construct a proper cellar, beneath? (Or would that be completely pointless, in terms of food preservation etc. due to already being in a cave?)

EDIT: Hmm, on the topic of caves, is it OK to keep pigs/whatever penned in one? At least while I'm away, in any case. (Assuming I find a cave big enough for myself and them) Also, would it be 'safe' to light a fire in a walled-up cave? Or would the game consider it airtight and start filling it with smoke? (Assuming the game even factors in smoke. Since you presumably can't wall up the cave entrance, aside from one log-width from the top, for ventilation, right? You either have a log wall or you don't, right?)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Clever Spambot posted:

The best thing about lovecraft was all the much better horror stuff he inspired.

Immigrants, musicians, artists and religious folk; I'm quaking in fear over here!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pet the Pup at the Party goty 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

why did they make a game out of my social life

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Weedle posted:

Yeah the Xbox One controller basically fixes all of the problems the 360 controller had, like no longer having the lovely d-pad because the Nintendo patent finally expired and stuff like that.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

fishmech posted:

no longer having the lovely d-pad because the Nintendo patent finally expired and stuff like that.

wait, is this seriously why every d-pad has sucked donkey dick since the SNES controller???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Numberwang posted:

wait, is this seriously why every d-pad has sucked donkey dick since the SNES controller???

Yes. Nintendo held several different patents, and the final ones expired in August 2005 (which was too late for Microsoft to have made and tested non-infringing d-pad designs for the 360, and so the 360 was stuck with the crappy d-pad all through its life). At various times other manufacturers have been able to license or already held competing patents so they could make similar designs, but most controllers would just have to be stuck with kinda lovely D-pads to avoid the patent lawsuits or paying the big bucks to Nintendo.

Sega always used their own methods of making d-pads which was pretty ok, but of course they left the business. Sony actually had their designs pretty close but insisted on the split button look so its not quite the same feeling. Microsoft tried two different ways to avoid it with the Xbox and 360.

Here's how the original Xbox's design works btw, the d-pad is this whole clunky assembly:

And then it makes contact with those 4 bare pads on the controller PCB:

This is the key Nintendo patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US4687200

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the informative details btw, fishmech - I didn't realize Nintendo had (previously) held a monopoly on d-pads; didn't even know you could patent that single component of the controller.
Good that the patent has expired though, at least; hopefully we'll see some other companies utilizing the tech

Also, I bought UnReal World over the weekend, after asking about it the other day. Pretty good! Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet, but I did manage to kill a squirrel I found in the woods. Its fur/skin is unfortunately full of holes now, though :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 28, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think someone said a while ago that Unreal World has an option to use directional controls instead of tank controls, is that true or am I imagining things?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think someone said a while ago that Unreal World has an option to use directional controls instead of tank controls, is that true or am I imagining things?

Oh yeah, I saw an option for that in the settings. It's the "Traditional Controls: (Y/N)" option. Thanks for reminding me - I might change that over, myself...

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Tbh when you get used to the tank controls it's pretty great I find. I wouldn't play UrW without it anymore.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, with regards to URW, what should I get ASAP for post-hunting/-trapping stuff, like tanning and meat preservation? Since I'm going to need to skin that squirrel - so what do I need for that? And are there any other essentials that I should carry around (or just find on-site, after the kill) for preparation stuff?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Assuming you've got a camp or something to base out of, when going out hunting its best to travel light. I'd usually leave most of my gear (such as my collection of specialty axes) at home and go out with my spear, my bow, a dozen or so arrows, my handaxe (the general purpose axe), maybe my woodsman's axe (but usually not), a knife, waterskin, 2-3 days worth of food, and clothing appropriate for the weather (and maybe chest/head light armor if I'm lucky enough to have armor). And, of course, my trusty dog.

Get a dog, best investment you can make in URW is a dog.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Assuming you've got a camp or something to base out of, when going out hunting its best to travel light. I'd usually leave most of my gear (such as my collection of specialty axes) at home and go out with my spear, my bow, a dozen or so arrows, my handaxe (the general purpose axe), maybe my woodsman's axe (but usually not), a knife, waterskin, 2-3 days worth of food, and clothing appropriate for the weather (and maybe chest/head light armor if I'm lucky enough to have armor). And, of course, my trusty dog.

Get a dog, best investment you can make in URW is a dog.

Hm, OK. Well, at the moment I don't have a camp as it's still day one - should I set up a shelter somewhere, to dump my stuff and return to? (And if so, will it be safe if I do it near-ish a village? Or will I find that all my gear has been pinched, or despawned or something, if I'm gone too long?)
Also, as a total newbie, will I need to set up like, a tanning rack or something, for when I make the kill? (and if so, is it best to set it up right away, or journey back to base first? I'm not sure how long the skins will last before going 'bad') Additionally, can you create bags, to allow a greater load to be carried with a smaller penalty? Or is it assumed that you'll always have some kind of knapsack or bindle, or whatever?

Oh also, are you able to use javelins in melee (effectively, anyway), or does it not allow that? If not, (or if it's not recommended) are you able to make short spears of some type, that can be thrown if needed? Since I've got naturally high spear skill, so I'm thinking about packing a couple of spears, my bow and a knife - so if the prey starts running and I have one of my spears out, I can quickly peg it at the animal (or njerpez) before drawing my bow, if needed.

On the topic of the njerpez, if I fight one and knock them out, could I take all their gear and clothes, then either tie them up or if I don't have rope, hit their legs/feet with a rock a few times, so they can't easily get away? Sounds pretty dark I know, but well, if one tries to attack me and hurts me, at the time I might not have anything against leaving him out in the wilds with nothing to protect himself with. If he makes it out, so be it - but if I'm going to suffer from my wounds for a while, so will he! :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No there is no tanning rack, you just need fat or appropriate bark (a kill will almost always provide enough fat to do tanning) and a water source. The final step will require a beat (a simple club usually) and a hard flat-ish surface (a fallen tree log works just fine). There are no bags for carrying extra stuff, your carrying capacity is based on your body weight (with the assumption that these characters are relatively fit, not fat). You can use javelins in melee (thrown or melee it uses the spear skill) but I dunno how effective they are for that use.

Njerpez are not people, they are strangers (also cannibals). Kill them without mercy or guilt. :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Mercy is for the weak, eh? That might work for me, too. :unsmigghh: I don't suppose you can skin them and wear their "pelt" though, right? haha (Kidding! ...or am I??)

But thanks for those tips! Although I just thought - this might be asking a little much, but are there any sample pictures of a good house/cabin/lair setup, floating around? (Alternatively, is someone near their house in their save, and can get a quick screenshot?) Just curious to see how other people set up their homes; like, what people recommend building and where, etc. (Also, can you build chests, or racks, etc. where you can store all your weapons? Or do you all just dump them on the ground?)
If so, that would be greatly appreciated! I understand if not, though - just thought it was worth asking.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Here is a picture of my homestead from my last game. The small 2x2 building (a sauna and smokehouse) was built first, originally as a 1x2 smokehouse but then partially dismantled and expanded into a sauna after the main cabin was finished. Building a 1x2 smokehouse before the rest of your homestead is a good idea because its much faster to build (still will take days) but will provide shelter and somewhere you can start smoking meat to preserve it.

As for gear usually I just leave stuff in semi-organized piles. The only kind of buildable "storage" are cellars, which basically create a special tile that lowers the temperature in that tile, making food dropped there last longer.

You might want to check out my old LP from the Roguelike Megathread (just scroll down to the bottom of the OP). It was never finished, but I go through a game up to the construction of a cabin, including quite a bit of travel (roughly halfway across the map in two very different types of journeys), collecting useful tools, hunting, building a homestead, etc.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 28, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hoooooly poo poo. So, on day one I killed some poor squirrel (shot it with an arrow, then slit its throat) as well as a fox (also shot it with an arrow, then chased and kicked the poo poo out of it when it tired), which I thought was pretty drat brutal. :magical: However, after making a few javelins (seeing as my spear skill is fantastic) and resting the night, I stumbled upon a young bear.

I thought, well, this will be an interesting learning experience - what could possibly go wrong? So I crept up a short distance behind it, before it became alerted and spun around. I thought 'gently caress, this thing's gonna murder me' and threw a javelin at its torso...I missed my mark, but instead hit it straight in its eye. :gonk: Naturally it turned tail and started fleeing, so I (crowing in triumph) gave chase, so that I wouldn't lose track of the beast. However, after it started slowing a short distance away, it decided enough was enough, and turned to face me again. Thinking 'shiiit I shouldn't have kept so close to it' I quickly changed my secondary javelin to my preferred hand and pegged it at the bear as well, striking one of its forelegs.

After that, it charged me, but I was apparently able to dodge "like a swan", and whip out my basic knife. What ensued after that was a very drawn-out fight of endurance, with me stabbing and slashing at the bear's face and paws (presumably it was trying to block my attacks/cover its face) while the bear feebly tried to bite me back. I did however start to get worn out (I later found that I was unintentionally carrying 100 pounds worth of two slender logs during the fight, which didn't help) and was unfortunately struck by the bear's paw, which bruised my hip.

As a result of this, I was quite shaken and my swan-like dodges turned into sloppy stumbles (with the two of us occasionally bumping into one another after failed attacks, and staggering all over the place), and I ended up dropping my knife! But instead of sparing a moment to pick it up, I simply proceeded to deliver a sharp kick to the bear's face, landing right on/by its eye (the same one that my javelin was sticking out of *shudder*), causing it to roar in pain and try to flee again. I quickly picked up my knife, then pulled out my final, (and roughest) javelin and threw it into its rear. Unfortunately for me however, that merely caused it to become angry, again. I managed to keep dodging its bites and swings, but my knife slipped from my grasp, again. I managed to punch and kick it a few more times though (with the bear falling over more often now, and picking itself up more slowly) and managed to strike its face with a powerful kick, rendering it unconscious.

After this, I quickly whipped out my knife and stabbed its throat. However, this didn't kill it! I then proceeded to desperately kick the poo poo out of its head and neck, trying to finish it off before I passed out from exhaustion. (Didn't want to damage the pelt further, though) I eventually managed to do so, before proceeding to flop onto the ground next to it and simply lay there, exhausted for probably around an hour. After that, I spent a long time skinning it and butchering 99 cuts of bear meat. (The hide was classified as "harsh" as you could probably gather, due to the wounds :v:)

Here's a list of all its injuries, from right before I finished it off. drat, it survived a LOT of damage. :gonk: I'm so glad I only copped a bruise from that! I hate to imagine what would've happened if I had come across an older, larger bear instead...

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Major Isoor posted:

Hoooooly poo poo.

Thank you for that story. :byobear: That's a pretty impressive kill for so early on in the game.