Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you go with a dedicated winter set, the 17's off a TDI or lower spec GTI will fit on the R. Clearance will be tight but it absolutely works and tires will be quite a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

fknlo posted:

If you go with a dedicated winter set, the 17's off a TDI or lower spec GTI will fit on the R. Clearance will be tight but it absolutely works and tires will be quite a bit cheaper.

Yeah it looks like they have wheels and winters in a 17 that they claim will fit also.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Kanish posted:

Speaking of tire chat, anyone in the Maryland, DC, Philly area in the market for winter tires? I have a set of Blizzaks and 17" steelies I used for a year before I sold my Focus ST.

Post this up in the Focus/Fiesta ST Trader Maryland Facebook group, I'm sure you'll get a hit. https://www.facebook.com/groups/728566210556545/

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Any RS owners have tips for winter wheel deals? I'm waiting for a set of the 18" ST oem wheels to pop up on craigslist.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolrah posted:

There is no such thing as voiding the entire warranty. Even if you were to fully replace the drivetrain, everything not affected by that change remains covered as normal.

Aftermarket parts and modifications which take the vehicle outside of manufacturer specifications can be grounds to deny warranty claims if they are plausibly related.

JB1 type stuff can be detected if they're looking for it, but it's a bit less blatant than a reflash. The ECU can see that certain signals are consistently out of spec because of the silly cheater box, and at least one of the German brands is known to be flagging these things. I forget if it was VW or BMW.

I say get an APR flash and enjoy doing it right. JB1 type boxes are half-assed solutions.

VW will flag your car if you flash it, even if you go back to stock before taking it in -- the ECU has an internal flash counter. A JB1/4 will not be detected in a VW, but BMW does throw 'shadow codes' for them.
I know you're saying there is no such thing but I would strongly recommend you look around the MK7Golf forums before saying that as fact. They do refuse to cover powertrain issues if the car was found to have been modified in some cases.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It won't "void" your warranty or any of that other nonsense people post without knowing how car warranties work. If you install it correctly it doesn't throw any codes or flags.

Mine triggered limp mode occasionally when it was really cold out as the car was way overshooting requested torque or when it was really hot it would trigger overboost protection since the car was trying to add more boost to make up for the heat, this stopped happening after the car spent some time learning. The flashes will also do this, in some cases, especially APR.

Long story short, if you leased the car or if you value the warranty then stick with a JB1/4 and downpipe until you're outside your warranty. I put almost 30k on my car before I got rid of it, 29k of those with a JB1/DP. I did use the warranty and I am glad I didn't flash. Also, don't attempt to use a downpipe without a JB1 or tune, the car runs like poo poo.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 24, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

A nice benefit of doing this is you can often get the smaller OEM wheels for relatively cheap from people who are switching to aftermarket ones.

BlackMK4 posted:

VW will flag your car if you flash it, even if you go back to stock before taking it in -- the ECU has an internal flash counter. A JB1/4 will not be detected in a VW, but BMW does throw 'shadow codes' for them.
Yup, shadow codes are what I was thinking of there.

Ford doesn't have a flash counter as far as anyone's been able to determine, but they do have a key cycles since last reset counter which resets when you flash it. If that is unusually low it triggers a more in-depth investigation.

quote:

I know you're saying there is no such thing but I would strongly recommend you look around the MK7Golf forums before saying that as fact. They do refuse to cover powertrain issues if the car was found to have been modified in some cases.

wolrah posted:

Aftermarket parts and modifications which take the vehicle outside of manufacturer specifications can be grounds to deny warranty claims if they are plausibly related.
Modifications to the powertrain control software are definitely plausibly related to powertrain issues. That's reasonable grounds for a denial unless the problem is well known to occur in stock vehicles.

The poster I was responding to has clarified their position, but there are a LOT of people out there who honestly believe that flashing the ECU means that you lose warranty coverage on the entire car, no matter what.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JB1 IS NOT detected in a GTI. Don't be an idiot and take it out before you service it and unplug the battery while installing it, which is all of 5 minutes once you figure it out. If voiding warranty is off the table, this is absolutely something you should do if you actually intend on enjoying the car. The people spreading rumors is not applicable to the VW GTI.

The argument comes on whether waiting to do a real flash, which gives you power to do fancier stuff, is more of a drivetrain warranty voiding than anything, and that's only a question the first 30k

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
5y/60k on powertrain

glad we've had a page of back and forth over something i'm still not interested in

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

5y/60k on powertrain

glad we've had a page of back and forth over something i'm still not interested in

I was actually kind of interested in it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow the Tyre Rack plan seems surprisingly painless.

It's super easy and I've had dedicated winter wheels and tires for every car I've owned this century. Get them shipped to home if you want to do it yourself, get them shipped to a garage if you want them to do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've always lived in apartments and having someone else store and mount them is A+++++ convenience wise.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Doing an OTD at Waterford hills next weekend. Swapping to ATE 200 fluid, time to see if my brakes and cooling system can keep up with the MRX power level.

Last vdynos I ran (tune is still in revision) is showing about 255-260 whp and similar torque. A touch more lag than I would like, but I plan on swapping downpipes and buying a used manifold and trying to port it. Less restriction on the exhaust side should speed up spool a bit. Very fun to drive, but I bet it will be harder to be smooth around Waterford. Very tight track.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Etrips posted:

Is this legitimate?

Edit: guess I should actually look to see what a jb1 does before posting :v

If I recall correctly, the jb1/jb4 doesn't actually push anything outside of stock parameters, so it doesn't actually do anything that would show up. TD1 is the magical flag that will basically nuke your turbo/engine warranty, and is caused by any sort of actual ecm flash. As far as tires and wheels, go, dropping down to 17" brings prices way down and give you that little extra sidewall for those invisible potholes that crop up in the winter. Which tires do you currently have on the car? Depending on how much tread life they have left and how much you actually drive, it might be worth just using them up during the summer then getting a proper summer when you come due for tires. I'm assuming you have 18s on the car right now.

Mine with 17s vs 19s.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

Any RS owners have tips for winter wheel deals? I'm waiting for a set of the 18" ST oem wheels to pop up on craigslist.

I got the winter wheel package with mine when I bought my RS. Living in northern Indiana I knew I'd need them and having a dedicated set of winter wheels was very appealing. Plus the Pilot Alpin PA4 tires are probably only second to Nokian Hakkepelitas as far as being the best winter tires money can buy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Huge_Midget posted:

I got the winter wheel package with mine when I bought my RS. Living in northern Indiana I knew I'd need them and having a dedicated set of winter wheels was very appealing. Plus the Pilot Alpin PA4 tires are probably only second to Nokian Hakkepelitas as far as being the best winter tires money can buy.

Agree on the PA4s. These got my Cayman through a Wisconsin winter better than my old GTI on all-seasons DWSes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Doing an OTD at Waterford hills next weekend. Swapping to ATE 200 fluid, time to see if my brakes and cooling system can keep up with the MRX power level.

Last vdynos I ran (tune is still in revision) is showing about 255-260 whp and similar torque. A touch more lag than I would like, but I plan on swapping downpipes and buying a used manifold and trying to port it. Less restriction on the exhaust side should speed up spool a bit. Very fun to drive, but I bet it will be harder to be smooth around Waterford. Very tight track.

Nice. Waterford isn't too hard on brakes at least since the straights are so short. Do you have anything to monitor coolant or oil temps?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Nice. Waterford isn't too hard on brakes at least since the straights are so short. Do you have anything to monitor coolant or oil temps?

Yeah it seems harder on tires than anything else to be honest. My first run there was on stock all seasons, they howled like mad. I will monitor temps w the Cobb AP.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

We'll have to get new tires for the RS since I got a staple in the rear right and at 12k miles 4 autox two track days I don't think just buying the rear replacement makes sense at this point. Thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport 4S anyone have any other options for track and daily commuting duties.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah it seems harder on tires than anything else to be honest. My first run there was on stock all seasons, they howled like mad. I will monitor temps w the Cobb AP.

I need to try and make it there to at least one event this season. I think I'd be fine with my current aggressive street pads (and some new fluid which I still need to swap over with the SS brake lines). Doing any more events this year?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 27, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

We'll have to get new tires for the RS since I got a staple in the rear right and at 12k miles 4 autox two track days I don't think just buying the rear replacement makes sense at this point. Thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport 4S anyone have any other options for track and daily commuting duties.

PS4S are my next tire once my Cup 2s are toast. Also, did you post a pic of the staple on Facebook? Cause I might have replied to it with the secret goon club question.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I need to try and make it there to at least one event this season. I think I'd be fine with my current aggressive street pads (and some new fluid which I still need to swap over with the SS brake lines). Doing any more events this year?

I think I'm going to do the HPDE at gridlife (ginger man) in October. I have to check the rules though, I don't have a tow strap and they might require one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

I think I'm going to do the HPDE at gridlife (ginger man) in October. I have to check the rules though, I don't have a tow strap and they might require one.

I'm sure your OEM tool kit has a tow hook, and I'm sure buying a second OEM one would be like $15.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm sure your OEM tool kit has a tow hook, and I'm sure buying a second OEM one would be like $15.

It does not :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

For some stupid reason the Fords don't have a factory tow hook.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you sure? My RS has one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Are you sure? My RS has one.

It's possible that the RS is the only Focus that has one since for the US market it's the only Focus built in Saarlouis and it has a few euro-market features.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

In hindsight, I should have picked up the snow package. Managed to snag a set of 18" FoST wheels with TPMS sensors for $100 each yesterday though, so now I just have to find some tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's possible that the RS is the only Focus that has one since for the US market it's the only Focus built in Saarlouis and it has a few euro-market features.

That seems kind of crazy - do they not expect ST owners to track them?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, it's not even about tracking, it's about getting the thing onto a flatbed without bending something under the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My ST owning friend tells me he did not have a tow hook when he bought his and had to purchase his own. Bought brand new too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo, it's not even about tracking, it's about getting the thing onto a flatbed without bending something under the car.

they're so reliable they'll never need to be on a flatbed :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I believe that this is the case. The Euro FiSTs seem to have the cutout on the bumper where you'd expect, but the US market models do not and have to drill the crash beam to install an aftermarket one: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4428-Piercemotorsports-Front-Tow-Hook-Kit

I assume the same is true on the FoSTs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wow, lame.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Can confirm my RS came with a tow hook, lug nut key, fuel funnel, air compressor and can of fix-a-flat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

Can confirm my RS came with a tow hook, lug nut key, fuel funnel, air compressor and can of fix-a-flat.

did it have the seatbelt cutter and the small fire extinguisher and the hi-vis vest too

loving Belgium

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

did it have the seatbelt cutter and the small fire extinguisher and the hi-vis vest too

loving Belgium

No, but there's space for them under the rear carpet!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Where is your lug nut key because I don't see one and I know I have the locked rims.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

Where is your lug nut key because I don't see one and I know I have the locked rims.

It was in a plastic baggy with a card that has the barcode for the lock pattern. It looks a lot like a socket wrench socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Question: I'm picking up an AccessPort for my RS from a former RS owner. According to him it has the standard OTS Cobb tunes as well as a Tune+ 91 and 93 tune. Is there anything I need to know or do before I flash the ECU in my RS? Should I do a baseline data log? This is the first time I've ever done something like this to a car, and while I work in IT and am used to doing things like BIOS updates and firmware updates, its still slightly unnerving to do it to my $40k car.

His car was a 2016 RS, mine is a 2017 RS. I'll find out more on Wednesday when I pick it up but his car was bone stock, as is mine. Should I be fine running those maps or do I need to pony up another $350 for my own custom tune? I might add more bolt ons down the road, but it will stay stock for the foreseeable future.