Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Shageletic posted:

Less substantial but more hilarious, Jim Belushi drinking his Bloody Mary.

We need a gif.

http://i.imgur.com/MixKM53.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This has gotta be the crowning achievement of Jim's career, I never really had an opinion on him, and he is ruling here. And the other guy is great too, who was the campy villain on Heroes season 4 and whatnot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The whole Coop having Mike make him another tulpa thing really makes me think either Coop is using that to trick Boop or him/Booper are gonna die/go away/whatever and Coop is gonna make a Dougie Tulpa to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ginette Reno posted:

The whole Coop having Mike make him another tulpa thing really makes me think either Coop is using that to trick Boop or him/Booper are gonna die/go away/whatever and Coop is gonna make a Dougie Tulpa to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim.

Ah, yes, because the original Dougie was such a great husband and father.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The original Dougie was lovely because he was created by Booper, I think. If Good Cooper created a new Dougie, it would probably be a nice guy

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Dougie Jones seemed to have almost diluted evil within him. Infidelity, absent parenting, gambling, etc

Coop Dougie seemed more like diluted good, not terribly directed, but present.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jade give two rides

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't we have this conversation already? What's real?! Is this The Roadhouse?!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Peacoffee posted:

Dougie Jones seemed to have almost diluted evil within him. Infidelity, absent parenting, gambling, etc

Coop Dougie seemed more like diluted good, not terribly directed, but present.

Coop Dougie wasn't a Tulpa, though. It was just a sleepwalking Cooper. I still think Cooper's Tulpa would probably be a cool dude who is a good dad and husband and also is attractive because Cooper has good hair that makes good Tulpas.

Maybe Cooper just wants to use the Tulpa as a ruse, though. It seems a bit cold hearted, but I could imagine him tricking the doppelganger by making an unusually calculated move like that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't we have this conversation already? What's real?! Is this The Roadhouse?!

We kinda did, yeah.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

...! posted:

Just had a disturbing thought. The tulpas have golden orbs in their chests, right? Coop said the Mitchum brothers have hearts of gold. What if... he was being literal? :magical::ohdear::stonk:
I think the only thing they could do that would legitimately piss me off is if they did "it was all a dream" particularly about Vegas. All the Vegas characters are so great, and if it's just revealed that everyone there is from a dream/tupla/whatever, it'd be massively disappointing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what even is MIKE doing? hes like, the janitor of the zig zaggy 'waiting room'

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there something where Mike can show up wherever the gently caress he wants to while the black lodge people have to use portals to get around

Or did coop shock himself because he knew there was a portal in that stanky hospital chair

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

moist turtleneck posted:

Is there something where Mike can show up wherever the gently caress he wants to while the black lodge people have to use portals to get around

Or did coop shock himself because he knew there was a portal in that stanky hospital chair

Phillip Jeffries got unstuck in time after he entered the lodge, Coop just got MIKE on speed dial.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

And More posted:

So, something occurred to me, and I really hope it's not gonna set people off, but I want to discuss it anyway. :shobon:

Ages ago, there was an article about how Diane dresses and how she decorates her room in an "oriental" fashion. The author was basically laughed at because the article was all like: "this is a problematic problem". I think there's something to it, though. Let's look at the images in question, and let's also add Diane's latest dress:

I've been reading some of Kate Chopin's short stories. One of them, An Egyptian Cigarette, reminded me of Diane. It's about a woman who trips out on some dank Egyptian cigarettes and dreams of an abusive lover who is described like this: "He smiled and showed his cruel white teeth as he turned to look at me crouching here." So, the story has got at least some similar imagery to Diane's description of her rape.

There is an article about this short story that notes:

So, I think Diane is coded "oriental" on purpose. She drowns her suffering in alcohol and cigarettes because she feels trapped. By wearing these old fashioned "problematic" clothes, Diane becomes similar to the woman in the short story who sees glimpses of a different life when she smokes her cigarettes. Diane's clothes are drawing a parallel to the 19th century and a history of a male society trapping women in hopeless situations. It indicates that this is not only a current issue, but one that's existed for centuries. Back then it was opium, now it's Chinese designer drugs.

It goes back to episode 8 and the detonation of the nuclear bomb, the source of evil, slowly spreading outwards. This current season is depicting people still dealing with issues that started a long time ago. In some cases, they are maybe 25 years old (like Big Ed and Nadine or Cooper and his doppelganger), but the violence against women that we see over and over again in this show is ancient. Becky gets (presumably) killed by her abusive junky boyfriend. Richard Horne threatens and beats defenseless women into submission. Even Audrey's dream husband keeps her in control through some sort of contract.

this is gonna be hilarious if it turns out naido is the real diane.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is gonna be hilarious if it turns out naido is the real diane.

Hey, Kaworu isn't the only one who is allowed to make kooky predictions. :colbert:

I mean, that would be a bit weird, but surely it wouldn't contradict my argument?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm not sure why people think Richard is dead. It seems pretty clear that the trap was designed to pull Booper back into the Black Lodge, much like the ring. Ray's corpse got zapped into the Lodge after Booper put the ring on it, and I imagine the same thing happened to Richard.

In the finale, I'm sure we'll see Richard in the Lodge. What'll be really interesting is seeing if Jerry follows him in. I mean, there's really no other reason for Lynch to place him there and the Jerry storyline has to go somewhere otherwise Jerry will have had no purpose whatsoever this season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol fucker loves his bloody marys

e: he also does the weirdest thing after he gets one, sort of sips it while bending his head sideways. Nice performance.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ginette Reno posted:

totally the latter, coop wakes up and mission #1 is to make the Jones family whole again

Baloogan posted:

what even is MIKE doing? hes like, the janitor of the zig zaggy 'waiting room'

MIKE generally just runs around foiling BOB's plans since they had a falling out and MIKE did his face turn

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 30, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how people could watch that scene where coop says goodbye to janie e and sonny jim and think he could mean anything other than he himself going back. he loves those people and he knows that a copy isn't as good as the real thing. he would never make a promise like he did if it wasn't the real coop that he intended to come back to them.

edit:

Shageletic posted:

lol fucker loves his bloody marys

e: he also does the weirdest thing after he gets one, sort of sips it while bending his head sideways. Nice performance.

I posted a longer gif of that a couple pages back, not gonna quote here because iut's like 17 megs. but everything in that little five seconds is an amazing performance. I can't decide whether I like candy or mitchum 2 best, but mitchum 1 and coop are also incredible, as is the foregrounded image of the other girl

edit2:

And More - great post dude. No idea if you're on the money or not but I learned something and it's interesting to think about. Thanks!

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 30, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So he'll make a tulpa to investigate paranormal murders?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

So, something occurred to me, and I really hope it's not gonna set people off, but I want to discuss it anyway. :shobon:

Ages ago, there was an article about how Diane dresses and how she decorates her room in an "oriental" fashion. The author was basically laughed at because the article was all like: "this is a problematic problem". I think there's something to it, though. Let's look at the images in question, and let's also add Diane's latest dress:

I've been reading some of Kate Chopin's short stories. One of them, An Egyptian Cigarette, reminded me of Diane. It's about a woman who trips out on some dank Egyptian cigarettes and dreams of an abusive lover who is described like this: "He smiled and showed his cruel white teeth as he turned to look at me crouching here." So, the story has got at least some similar imagery to Diane's description of her rape.

There is an article about this short story that notes:

So, I think Diane is coded "oriental" on purpose. She drowns her suffering in alcohol and cigarettes because she feels trapped. By wearing these old fashioned "problematic" clothes, Diane becomes similar to the woman in the short story who sees glimpses of a different life when she smokes her cigarettes. Diane's clothes are drawing a parallel to the 19th century and a history of a male society trapping women in hopeless situations. It indicates that this is not only a current issue, but one that's existed for centuries. Back then it was opium, now it's Chinese designer drugs.

It goes back to episode 8 and the detonation of the nuclear bomb, the source of evil, slowly spreading outwards. This current season is depicting people still dealing with issues that started a long time ago. In some cases, they are maybe 25 years old (like Big Ed and Nadine or Cooper and his doppelganger), but the violence against women that we see over and over again in this show is ancient. Becky gets (presumably) killed by her abusive junky boyfriend. Richard Horne threatens and beats defenseless women into submission. Even Audrey's dream husband keeps her in control through some sort of contract.

I really like this analysis but you're going to get shredded by the "everything is literal and gently caress sjws crowd".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

I don't know how people could watch that scene where coop says goodbye to janie e and sonny jim and think he could mean anything other than he himself going back. he loves those people and he knows that a copy isn't as good as the real thing. he would never make a promise like he did if it wasn't the real coop that he intended to come back to them.

to them, coop is the copy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

So he'll make a tulpa to investigate paranormal murders?

in response to me? No, I can think of a million possible uses for a person that looks just like coop when you're going up against bad coop. Coop has a Heart of Gold, he's not giving Janie E a hollow copy of a person for a husband. He's probably upset on her behalf that she already had to live with that for years.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Walrus posted:

edit:

I posted a longer gif of that a couple pages back, not gonna quote here because iut's like 17 megs. but everything in that little five seconds is an amazing performance. I can't decide whether I like candy or mitchum 2 best, but mitchum 1 and coop are also incredible, as is the foregrounded image of the other girl

edit2:

And More - great post dude. No idea if you're on the money or not but I learned something and it's interesting to think about. Thanks!

Nah, coop is an FBI man

My money is on Dougie v2.0 being sent to the Jones family

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

The part where he says "Dougie I will be coming back very soon ;)" makes it pretty obvious he's sending back the new Dougie he requested that Mike create.

Cooper spends a week with a new family in a catatonic state and decides he wants that life instead of joining Cole in fighting lodge spirits? That would be pretty lame. Cooper IS the FBI!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno, i think that goes against the spirit of the scene and of coop. we have seen before he would like to settle down with a family. i guess we will see :)

edit: how could he do that to them? theyve seen him now, they know him as he is. a copy is going to be obviously not the same person. dougie and bad cooper dont have the same memories or personality.

actually thats another thing, why did diane tulpa regain memories but nothing ever apparently triggered dougie to do so?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 30, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The final scene of twin peaks will be Sonny Jim sullenly tossing a ball at his new catatonic dad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eshock posted:

Is the fight that breaks out during Audrey's Dance definitely between two characters other than James and that girl's husband? My first read of this scene was that it was an example of the Roadhouse acting as a nexus between realities, as suggested in the first 3rd of season 2--so Aubrey was witnessing some crossover between her reality and James's. But from reading posts in here it seems that it was a different fight? Is that actually 100% clear on a rewatch?

It's different characters and a different situation. In James' thing, Chuck was already with Renee and was mad that James was coming up and talking to them. In the Audrey scene, the guy who comes in is mad that his wife, Monique, is hanging out with another guy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

i dunno, i think that goes against the spirit of the scene and of coop. we have seen before he would like to settle down with a family. i guess we will see :)

edit: how could he do that to them? theyve seen him now, they know him as he is. a copy is going to be obviously not the same person. dougie and bad cooper dont have the same memories or personality.

He's definitely sending the copy Mike is making. The difference is this one has hair from Real Coop instead of Evil Coop, and so will hopefully be a better dude.

e: like Elias said, and also me earlier on

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's another thing. Giving Mike the hair was the first thing he did after being told that the other one didn't go back in. It was an immediate response. Doesn't make a ton of sense for that to be related to finding a replacement for him for the family. Makes more sense that it would be a way to get evil coop back in, like dougie was used to do the opposite.

To watch that beautiful scene with his family, the idea of undermining it through the fact that coop was lying to them - boy scout coop, just doesn't scan for me. you guys could be right, I hope you're not.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Thanks thread, been frying my brain with Tulpa Continuity and Logic Bullshit for an hour. Aaaaa. Aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

So Dougie and Diane 2 were made in the Room Above The Convenience Store but their Golden Dad Orbs returned to the Waiting Room and to Mike despite not being made there. Mike, it is inferred, knows how to make new Tulpas, probably from his time spent living in the Room Above The Convenience Store before he chopped his arm off. Dougie and Diane 2 are not the same in terms of Tupla quality and craftsmanship. Diane remembers her past life and Lodgey bollocks quite clearly just before she gets broked up into black smoke and egg things. Dougie doesn't. He seems a bit freaked out by the whole ordeal. A Dougie tulpa that was similar to the Diane tulpa would remember his pre-tulpa life as Special Agent Dale Cooper. The Fireman made a Laura Palmer orb, but I don't think he made the others as he seemed to be doing it to respond to the existence of Bob and the Convenience Store. So if Mike didn't and the Firemen didn't then maybe there's a really nasty orb making thing we've not seen yet. I doubt you just stroll up into these places and they have Orb machines. I think you need power and antique clothes. And a bell thing that might have David Bowie in it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Walrus posted:

That's another thing. Giving Mike the hair was the first thing he did after being told that the other one didn't go back in. It was an immediate response. Doesn't make a ton of sense for that to be related to finding a replacement for him for the family. Makes more sense that it would be a way to get evil coop back in, like dougie was used to do the opposite.

To watch that beautiful scene with his family, the idea of undermining it through the fact that coop was lying to them - boy scout coop, just doesn't scan for me. you guys could be right, I hope you're not.

The entire "Dougie - I mean - I will be back" sequence could just be an attempt to mislead the viewer. A Tulpa would be really useful for tricking the doppelganger. Admittedly, that kind of move would be pretty uncharacteristic for Cooper, but he's been hanging out in the Lodge for a long time. Who knows what he's capable of. Still, he doesn't look like a good guy either way.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 30, 2017

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Norma is Rashida Jones' mom???

I guess everyone already knew that

Wtf though man

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

The entire "Dougie - I mean me - will be back" sequence could just be an attempt to mislead the viewer. A Tulpa would be really useful for tricking the doppelganger. Admittedly, that kind of move would be pretty uncharacteristic for Cooper, but he's been hanging out in the Lodge for a long time. Who knows what he's capable of. Still, he doesn't look like a good guy either way.

I think it would hinge on whether or not coop understands tulpas to have souls or not. he appears to have a pretty good innate grasp of lodge poo poo - andy spent five minutes with the fireman and picked up all kinds of unspoken stuff, who knows what 25 years does. if he knows a tulpa is just a mechanical construct he would be okay with using it as a tool to defeat evil coop. he wouldn't be ok with giving it to sonny jim as a dad. on the other hand he could know that they are, to a greater or lesser degree human and the opposite would be true.

my read on the 'dougie - I mean me' line was that he still thought of himself as dougie to a degree, and knew that was who he was to them, but wanted to correct himself there and then to let them know specifically that it was agent cooper coming back to them.

Modrasone posted:

Thanks thread, been frying my brain with Tulpa Continuity and Logic Bullshit for an hour. Aaaaa. Aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

:hfive:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

I took that to mean coop knew he didn't have hours to chat with Mike. Who knows, maybe you need to get your tulpa order in before noon if you want it ready next day.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Norma is Rashida Jones' mom???

I guess everyone already knew that

Wtf though man

I'm surprised that Rashida didn't make a cameo as Norma's niece or something

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

He wasn't lying to them. He said Dougie would be back. And giving Mike the hair being the first thing he does is because he's a lovely guy who wants to make sure Janey-E and Sonny Jim aren't left alone above all else.

I mean you're welcome to believe what you want, but 100% he's going to give them a new and improved Dougie rather than go back himself.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Walrus posted:

I think it would hinge on whether or not coop understands tulpas to have souls or not. he appears to have a pretty good innate grasp of lodge poo poo - andy spent five minutes with the fireman and picked up all kinds of unspoken stuff, who knows what 25 years does. if he knows a tulpa is just a mechanical construct he would be okay with using it as a tool to defeat evil coop. he wouldn't be ok with giving it to sonny jim as a dad. on the other hand he could know that they are, to a greater or lesser degree human and the opposite would be true.

MIKE seems really sickened by Tulpas. The way he tells Diane that she is manufatured just oozes with loathing. I figure this is because they are almost people, but made with a specific purpose in mind. The horror Diane's Tulpa felt at her memories seemed real enough, but she still couldn't stop herself from helping the doppelganger.

Escobarbarian posted:

He wasn't lying to them. He said Dougie would be back.

He says "Dougie - I mean - I will be back." It doesn't seem likely, but it could totally happen.

edit:

cis autodrag posted:

I really like this analysis but you're going to get shredded by the "everything is literal and gently caress sjws crowd".

The Walrus posted:

Thank you, btw. Makes me feel less weird for writing all of that. :3:

And More fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 30, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

MIKE seems really sickened by Tulpas. The way he tells Diane that she is manufatured just oozes with loathing. I figure this is because they are almost people, but made with a specific purpose in mind. The horror Diane's Tulpa felt at her memories seemed real enough, but she still couldn't stop herself from helping the doppelganger.

and I don't really see Mike as giving a poo poo about how human something is, or about humans in general really. just because he had a revelation doesn't mean he's not an inhuman monster who spent years on the hunt with bob. if he did feel a revulsion, I don't think that would be the cause imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Walrus posted:

actually thats another thing, why did diane tulpa regain memories but nothing ever apparently triggered dougie to do so?

We know next to nothing abouthe real Dougie, other than the fact he was kinda of a lovely guy. Maybe he did knew about Cooper and Bad Cooper too, maybe he just never told anyone. The Dougie we know was not a tulpa, he was Cooper in a catatonic state

edit: for the record, I also really doubt Cooper is making a tulpa to live with the Jones, but it does seems possible. I think the tulpa he is making probably has something to do with forcing Booper back into the lodge

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 30, 2017