Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

virinvictus posted:

Is DS3+DLC worth the $107 I'm seeing it on the PlayStation store? I'm playing and loving Bloodborne. Or should I start with the base game?

Ds3 is not as good as bloodborne and the dlc was worse than the base game content imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah you're right, Mario is gonna run away with the switches this holiday season. It's actually good destiny can get out soon. And star wars battlefront is probably gonna score lots of sales with the shooter crowd.

I'd wager it'll lead into a second run of Breath of the Wild sales going too, just for it being the Christmas/Holiday season and being the other BIG Game on the Switch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

virinvictus posted:

Is DS3+DLC worth the $107 I'm seeing it on the PlayStation store? I'm playing and loving Bloodborne. Or should I start with the base game?

That's a high price, TBH, and I bought them all at full price. $60 for the base game and $20 each for each DLC. You should be able to get a better deal in the future.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

virinvictus posted:

I'd say definitely start with the base game. I played Dark Souls 3 but didn't like it nearly as much as BB so I never bought the DLC.

Also compared to BB, the DkS3 dlc doesn't seem to connect very well to the story leaving more questions unanswered. Old Hunters shows what happened to the characters mentioned in the main game and the origins of the plot. This poo poo is good stuff.

DkS3 dlc is.... I don't know honestly despite reading about it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 1, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

the dlc is good and you should get it if you buy the base game, but if it's actually an extra $30 where you're shopping then don't buy it. you'll save money if you get the base version for $20 and then buy the dlc separately for another $20

When I say 'extra $30', I just mean that the Game of the Year release is $49.99 on Amazon, while most of the stores I've gone just have the standalone version for $20. I actually haven't seen many physical copies of GOTY edition.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloodborne dlc is essential. You'd get off cheapest buying a used copy and the dlc on Psn. Probably $40 total.

DS3 DLC is also (maybe slightly less) essential imo but if you pay $107 for all of it you are getting totally robbed. Even at launch the game+season pass came out to $85 so I'm confused on where you got that number unless you are not talking US dollars. All in you should be able to score DS3 and it's dlc for less than $60 now.

Edit: I think I figured it out. You are looking at the game which is still inexplicably $60 on Psn, along with the season pass and separate DLCs, but the season pass contains both of those so they are redundant. So everything would be $85

Tldr there is a complete edition out on disc and it's $40 brand new . My $60 estimate was high. This is where digital sucks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 1, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

8-Bit Scholar posted:

While the platforming was not great, and Monstro is a pretty confusing dungeon, I still want some element of exploration to remain. I liked going around Traverse Town finding all the hidden treasures and stuff; I enjoyed discovering that Wonderland had multiple ways you could flip that one room, which made a small seeming level appear much larger. Exploring Agrabah was cool; it all needed slightly better design and some more fluid movement mechanics (a double jump would help a lot) but I felt that part was just as important as the combat, and when it was rendered so anemic by KH2 I was really let down.

The Mulan level comes to mind particularly, because it felt so cheaply made and rushed. The Tron level was probably the best of the bunch, but it still felt like they were rushing to finish what game they had and couldn't be bothered to make engaging level design.

Echoing this, KH1 had a nice amount of exploration to do and secrets to find, while KH2 really just had series of arenas for 90% of its levels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

virinvictus posted:

Why is it that expensive? I'm pretty sure I got DS3 plus all the other poo poo for $70. It's worth getting, but it's no bloodborne. I finished it, felt satisfied and enjoyed it, then I played bloodborne.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Echoing this, KH1 had a nice amount of exploration to do and secrets to find, while KH2 really just had series of arenas for 90% of its levels.

Fortunately 0.2 had good combat and not completely terrible platforming so maybe 3 will be the best of both worlds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ds3 is not as good as bloodborne and the dlc was worse than the base game content imo

Ringed City is pretty great, Ashes less so but the Bosses were good and made up for the exploration content being a bit poo poo outside of those cool big dudes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So do we know whether the white Pro has revised hardware? There is a 300€ offer on pros right now and I am this close to grabbing one.
I wouldn't want to miss out on a revised version though, if there are any benefits.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I haven't beaten it yet, but I wish Downwell was somehow longer, kinda like how Binding of Isaac gives you incentives to beat it multiple times. I'm addicted.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hopper posted:

So do we know whether the white Pro has revised hardware? There is a 300€ offer on pros right now and I am this close to grabbing one.
I wouldn't want to miss out on a revised version though, if there are any benefits.

Its just a case swap

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

89 posted:

All I can really tell that's coming out this Fall for PS4 or Xbox is:

Fargo Cry 5

Fargo Cry 5 is coming in February 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's probably going to put a big dent in that with Super Mario Odyssey too.

I wouldn't be hard on the next Assassin's Creed just for existing, because Ubisoft took their yearly iteration model out back and shot it in the head so they could turn out Syndicate and Origins with some decent production time. Given Syndicate was really good, I'm inclined to give Origins the benefit of the doubt.

Syndicate felt really iterative to me, nothing special in any way. And the city felt much more copy-pasted together than in previous Assassin's Creed titles. They've always hat repeated buildings, but Syndicate took it to the extreme.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Everyone's Golf is good. It isn't great. Golf island is dumb as hell. Most of everything that happens outside of an actual game of golf, apart from maybe the character creator, is dumb as hell.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

This year got really front loaded with all the good games didn't it?

Yeah, except for Yakuza Kiwami, Knack 2, Shadow Of War, Wolfenstein, Battlefront and the Xcom 2 DLC.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fix posted:

Everyone's Golf is good. It isn't great. Golf island is dumb as hell. Most of everything that happens outside of an actual game of golf, apart from maybe the character creator, is dumb as hell.

Agreed. The actual golfing is solid and fun like always, and the presentation is nicely laid back and feel good. All the new additions are mostly pointless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the loading screen music a lot

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

When I say 'extra $30', I just mean that the Game of the Year release is $49.99 on Amazon, while most of the stores I've gone just have the standalone version for $20. I actually haven't seen many physical copies of GOTY edition.

Digital Bloodborne with DLC is $35 on the US PlayStation Store.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kiwami is amazing. It and zero back to back if you have 100 hrs and love crime melodrama.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Real hurthling! posted:

Kiwami is amazing. It and zero back to back if you have 100 hrs and love crime melodrama.

I'm actually in it for the Pocket Circuit. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

then don't buy that version. buy the $20 one and then get the dlc off psn for another $20 and save a bit of cash

e: or get that $35 digital version on psn someone mentioned

Real hurthling! posted:

yea I agree with this. that's more money than I'd be willing to pay now that I know what that game is

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 1, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm actually in it for the Pocket Circuit. :v:
Seeing his manly tears when he loses is in its own way as traumatic as drowning in Sonic 2.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Fame Douglas posted:

Fargo Cry 5 is coming in February 2018

:cry:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Lol guess there was % too many

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't think it was every claimed that any of these were coming out in 2017 ever so saying they were pushed back is a stretch

Hm (but did anyone honestly expect Rockstar to not delay the game?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
There will be an open beta for Gundam Versus!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Good god, I have my Kiwami copy already and I'm slowly playing 0. At this rate I'm not touching The Witcher 3 until let's say Christmas. Right now I'm battling Nioh, Yakuza 0 and putting time on Titanfall 2, one or two missions of Just Cause 3 and... and... :shepicide:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

89 posted:

All I can really tell that's coming out this Fall for PS4 or Xbox is:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Call of Duty: We're Like Battlefield Now
Cuphead

What am I missing on here?

wolfenstein 2
shadow of war 2
south park 2
knack 2

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Knack 2 is pretty much the game to buy this fall.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on sale and goddamn does the remaster look and feel good. I played the original when it came out but never finished it, so let's try that again.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WHOOPS posted:

wolfenstein 2
shadow of war 2
south park 2
knack 2

Need for Speed: Payback

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

Syndicate felt really iterative to me, nothing special in any way. And the city felt much more copy-pasted together than in previous Assassin's Creed titles. They've always hat repeated buildings, but Syndicate took it to the extreme.
Syndicate was a pretty decent revamp of the controls and systems, if you played all the others it felt quite different from the very beginning because the controls were very different, the stealth mechanics were different, the two characters had different strengths (and slightly different mechanics,) the base that was constantly moving around the map where you'd go to pick up missions was unlike anything before it, missions that took place entirely within very vertical buildings that were just like batman predator challenges were different...

Like if you'd played the earlier ones a lot I don't see how you can ignore all of that stuff and dismiss it as being "iterative" like, for example, Unity was to Black Flag, or Brotherhood was to 2. There was a lot of new stuff there, probably more than 3->4.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
did i read somewhere that star wars battlefront 2 was going to have a single player campaign??

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

did i read somewhere that star wars battlefront 2 was going to have a single player campaign??
It is indeed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Akuma posted:

Syndicate was a pretty decent revamp of the controls and systems, if you played all the others it felt quite different from the very beginning because the controls were very different, the stealth mechanics were different, the two characters had different strengths (and slightly different mechanics,) the base that was constantly moving around the map where you'd go to pick up missions was unlike anything before it, missions that took place entirely within very vertical buildings that were just like batman predator challenges were different...

Like if you'd played the earlier ones a lot I don't see how you can ignore all of that stuff and dismiss it as being "iterative" like, for example, Unity was to Black Flag, or Brotherhood was to 2. There was a lot of new stuff there, probably more than 3->4.

I haven't played Unity, but never felt any of these tiny changes had any kind of significant impact on the gameplay. Except for the grappling hook, maybe.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Bloodborne dlc is essential. You'd get off cheapest buying a used copy and the dlc on Psn. Probably $40 total.

DS3 DLC is also (maybe slightly less) essential imo but if you pay $107 for all of it you are getting totally robbed. Even at launch the game+season pass came out to $85 so I'm confused on where you got that number unless you are not talking US dollars. All in you should be able to score DS3 and it's dlc for less than $60 now.

Edit: I think I figured it out. You are looking at the game which is still inexplicably $60 on Psn, along with the season pass and separate DLCs, but the season pass contains both of those so they are redundant. So everything would be $85

Tldr there is a complete edition out on disc and it's $40 brand new . My $60 estimate was high. This is where digital sucks.

Canadian dollars. That is the price of the complete edition (with Season Pass included). Separate, the game is 79.99 and 19.99 each for DLC.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
For anyone who's on the edge about Everybody's Golf, I'm about 7 hours in I think and having a blast.

This is a youtube livestream of me in a dress putting balls in holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvC-FHjPz0

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Veib posted:

I picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on sale and goddamn does the remaster look and feel good. I played the original when it came out but never finished it, so let's try that again.

I played this a month or two back and enjoyed it immensely. It's very repetitive but the combat is fun and stylish so that didn't bother me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's why people remember Aeris as the "innocent cute flower girl" and Tifa as the "Flirtatious childhood friend" when their characters are closer to the exact opposite of that.

I finished the game last week and you're going to have to spell out exactly what their characters actually are for me because exact opposite to flower girl is what exactly??

Also I burned through ff7 skipping every random battle & only using the health cheat when I looked like I was in trouble. I also used 3x speed a little but only for some bits of dialogue or long sprints. got a bunch of level 4 limit breaks, did most of the side stuff I remember and I managed to finish the game in a hair over 16 hours. First time round I remember that taking me over 80. Amazing how much padding is in the random battles and needing to grind before bosses.