Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Huge_Midget posted:

Question: I'm picking up an AccessPort for my RS from a former RS owner. According to him it has the standard OTS Cobb tunes as well as a Tune+ 91 and 93 tune. Is there anything I need to know or do before I flash the ECU in my RS? Should I do a baseline data log? This is the first time I've ever done something like this to a car, and while I work in IT and am used to doing things like BIOS updates and firmware updates, its still slightly unnerving to do it to my $40k car.

His car was a 2016 RS, mine is a 2017 RS. I'll find out more on Wednesday when I pick it up but his car was bone stock, as is mine. Should I be fine running those maps or do I need to pony up another $350 for my own custom tune? I might add more bolt ons down the road, but it will stay stock for the foreseeable future.

The AP backs up your current ECU data before re-flashing another map. I have a buddy with an RS who runs the OTS Tune+ tune and says its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

PaintVagrant posted:

The AP backs up your current ECU data before re-flashing another map. I have a buddy with an RS who runs the OTS Tune+ tune and says its great.

Any idea where I can find the OTS Tune+ map?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Any idea where I can find the OTS Tune+ map?

Scratch that, hes running a custom Tune+ tune, I just asked him about it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Saw my first Type-R in the wild last night. My buddy said, "That's what the Wagon Queen Family Truckster would look like if it was a hot hatch..."

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

If anyone has or knows someone that has a 2017 RS that has the Tune+ base 93 map, can you please PM me? I recently got a used AccessPort that was setup for a 2016 RS by Tune+ and it has the base maps for the 2016 model. The 2017 RS uses the R1234YF refrigerant and the 2016s still used R134a. While I do not know if it would make any difference using the 2016 RS maps, I am not chancing it. Cobb specifically has two different tunes for the 2016s with R134a and the 2017s with R1234YF, so it must make some difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

If anyone has or knows someone that has a 2017 RS that has the Tune+ base 93 map, can you please PM me? I recently got a used AccessPort that was setup for a 2016 RS by Tune+ and it has the base maps for the 2016 model. The 2017 RS uses the R1234YF refrigerant and the 2016s still used R134a. While I do not know if it would make any difference using the 2016 RS maps, I am not chancing it. Cobb specifically has two different tunes for the 2016s with R134a and the 2017s with R1234YF, so it must make some difference.

Shouldn't you be able to get the correct map from Cobb and load that to the AP?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Shouldn't you be able to get the correct map from Cobb and load that to the AP?

I have the correct Cobb 91 and 93 maps. I'm currently using their MY 2107 93 octane map. I'm looking for the MY 2017 base 93 map from Tune+ that they include on the AccessPort when you buy it through them. The AccessPort I bought was from a guy who had a 2016 RS, and it includes the Tune+ maps, but for the MY 2016 RS and not the 2017.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Huge_Midget posted:

I have the correct Cobb 91 and 93 maps. I'm currently using their MY 2107 93 octane map. I'm looking for the MY 2017 base 93 map from Tune+ that they include on the AccessPort when you buy it through them. The AccessPort I bought was from a guy who had a 2016 RS, and it includes the Tune+ maps, but for the MY 2016 RS and not the 2017.

You should probably just contact Tune+ because they probably aren't going to make those publicly available. Cobb has no reason to care who sold you the device, so they publish their base maps, but one of the reasons one would buy an AP through a third party is to get that third party's base maps (as well as usually some discounted or included custom tuning).

If they're not jerks and your AP serial number is one they sold I'd expect them to not give you much trouble over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it should be fairly simple to get that tune.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Doing lots of work to the FiST this weekend. Installing a gas pedal cover, slotted front rotors, ATE typ 200 fluid, DTC-60 pads, an FRP front splitter, painting my calipers lime green, and putting on some vinyl side graphics. Then track day Sunday :hellyeah:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My buddy with the FiST put this spoiler extension on his car recently and I really dig it.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Rhyno posted:

My buddy with the FiST put this spoiler extension on his car recently and I really dig it. :rice:

Ew :barf:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
To each their own, but IMO the OEM setup is just the right amount of "because racecar" without being obnoxious. I don't even like the little riser brackets people install.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah I have to agree. The risers look horrible and I don't really understand the appeal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I dig it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it looks OK but a full shot of the car would make it easier to decide if it looks good.

then again I love cars with ridic body kits so whatev

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll take a full shot of the rear next time I see him.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I think he's taking about the car, Rhyno.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Opinions on the second gen Honda Fit? (I'll make it hot with a supercharger). Want something non-spine shattering and fun to drive. Never had a hatchback, but love beating on underpowered vehicles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

I think he's taking about the car, Rhyno.

:argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:argh: go figure that discounttiredirect is having another nice holiday sale where i could get 160 bucks off a set of wheels that I already wanted to get, konig hypergrams in 17x8 @ 16lb each

but of course they are on the website but out of stock :argh: :argh: :argh:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I was stoked to see the sale roll around too. But then the site told me they have NO tires the right size for my poor widdle 17" spec GTI. So much for waiting for a sale to replace my tires...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was looking at other FiSTs with that wing and got irrationally angry that the US never got the coupe version. I probably wouldn't even be looking at any other cars if that had made it to US shores.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PabloBOOM posted:

I was stoked to see the sale roll around too. But then the site told me they have NO tires the right size for my poor widdle 17" spec GTI. So much for waiting for a sale to replace my tires...

225/40/18 right? there's tons of options.

put in your size instead of letting it pick based on vehicle

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 1, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

BraveUlysses posted:

225/40/18 right? there's tons of options.

put in your size instead of letting it pick based on vehicle

Huh, manually entering the size did indeed work. Excellent.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got some 17x9's coming for my veloster with federal 235 40 17's for autocross. Finally glad to drop the pinched 18 x 7.5 wheels with 225's. Finally will get reasonably priced tires and possibly get hoosiers later. Once my daily all seasons wear out i'll get another set of 17's for daily or a light set for autocross. 18's are dumb.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

WescottF1 posted:

Saw my first Type-R in the wild last night. My buddy said, "That's what the Wagon Queen Family Truckster would look like if it was a hot hatch..."

The R&T shootout I read called it "visual dubstep".

(Incidentally, it trashed the STi and 370Z it was paired with)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Trans Ferdinand posted:

To be fair those cars are about a million years old.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

To be fair those cars are about a million years old.

Very true, but go back 10 years, and say "Honda Civic beats STi and 350z in comparo". Sounds kinda silly, doesn't it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Those are pretty capable cars, but that's not everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FThAekeWJg

People forget (or get caught up anti-Honda circlejerking) that Honda makes really, really good performance cars even if it's not all on paper. They've always been very good at building basic cars that have a well engineered motor and little to get in the way of the driving experience.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 2, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

I got some 17x9's coming for my veloster with federal 235 40 17's for autocross. Finally glad to drop the pinched 18 x 7.5 wheels with 225's. Finally will get reasonably priced tires and possibly get hoosiers later. Once my daily all seasons wear out i'll get another set of 17's for daily or a light set for autocross. 18's are dumb.

18s can be dumb until you realize there isn't much serious rubber at larger widths for 17s.
16s are trash for real tires at something larger than 225.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, 18's are great for going 255 and above but I can't go above 235 most likely without getting fender flares done. RE71's are about $60 a tire more on the 18's vs 17's when I was looking and would prefer a 45 sidewall option or 40.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Did a leak down test today and cylinders 2&4 are leaking 20% at 70psi.

:negative:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What led you to decide to do a leakdown test?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
.......isn't that a brand new RS?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You modded it didn't you

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Just put the Ford racing borla exhaust on my FoST. this thing seems abnormally loud. It builds good pressure when I block the tips, so my first thought of a leak is out. It seems really out of line for an exhaust that most people online say that you'll want to pull the resonator cause its so quiet. Has good clearance, so I doubt its transferring sound through the floor. Figured it would be about the same as my ZX2 Ford racing borla, but its nowhere near that.

Unsane fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 3, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Is yours a 2016? Sounds like a new engine is in your future. For anyone wondering, it has been discovered that the factory in Spain that built the RS motors had a casting line that wasn't heating the molds to the correct temperature before the aluminum was poured into the casting mold. So there are some 2016s out there that will likely experience engine failures due to a known manufacturing defect. Ford has identified the effected vehicles and they have been getting brand new engines under warranty. Yes it sucks, but it only effects a small group of cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

Is yours a 2016? Sounds like a new engine is in your future. For anyone wondering, it has been discovered that the factory in Spain that built the RS motors had a casting line that wasn't heating the molds to the correct temperature before the aluminum was poured into the casting mold. So there are some 2016s out there that will likely experience engine failures due to a known manufacturing defect. Ford has identified the effected vehicles and they have been getting brand new engines under warranty. Yes it sucks, but it only effects a small group of cars.
drat, that sucks, but if it's a warranty thing at least those affected will be getting taken care of. Sounds like it may be related to this post he made a while back:

KidDynamite posted:

RS owners PM me. Have some info that was asked not to be shared publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

You losing coolant?