Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Overwatch heroes are carefully designed to appeal to different kinds of gamers, in both personality and gameplay. Hanzo's target audience is 'assholes'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
archery is always fun in video games, therefore hanzo is fun :colbert:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Is Bastion good yet? If I play Bastion in ranked, will people call me bad names again? I just want to play as my robot friend

well why not posted:

most people buy a shootin' game to shoot dudes

Is it really 'shooting' if it's an arrow?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Overwatch heroes are carefully designed to appeal to different kinds of gamers, in both personality and gameplay. Hanzo's target audience is 'assholes'.

What's Mei's target demo?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bleck posted:

Is Bastion good yet? If I play Bastion in ranked, will people call me bad names again? I just want to play as my robot friend

Bastion is worse than he was before outside of being able to shuffle slowly out of the way while healing

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

well why not posted:

most people don't read forums about games, most people probably aren't even aware of the hanzo/widow culture problem they create.

most people buy a shootin' game to shoot dudes

This argument was probably true up to about maybe five years ago. Everyone is on social media and consumes memes and reddit now, grandpa. :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Bastion is worse than he was before outside of being able to shuffle slowly out of the way while healing

But but the guys in this thread told me he'd totally be the bestest shield breaker ever. Tankier less damage! Tankier less damage! Having fun yet?

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Sockser posted:

I think it'd be cool if I could opt out of smirmishes, so I could spend that time cruising through my hero gallery and looking for dumb voice lines to spam or open up lootboxes instead

You definitely can do that in the options.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

turtlecrunch posted:

Why did they do this! Why does Blizzard hate me!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

But but the guys in this thread told me he'd totally be the bestest shield breaker ever. Tankier less damage! Tankier less damage! Having fun yet?

he is better at breaking shields than he was

his damage is worse outside of that in sentry form tho

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dodgeball posted:

Chinese people and war criminals

e: And the largest of all, those who love the thiccness

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Semper Fudge posted:

I think the more pertinent question is why is Hanzo so popular when he's so loving boring to play

Hanzo is also the actual tortured anime hero of the cast. Reaper is so edgy it's actually a joke. Hanzo's tortured backstory and gravelly voice attracts 13 year old anime fans like no other.

Also Hanzo gets random kills when you just shoot into chokes pretty often, so he gets some Junkrat spillover.

Also Hanzo isn't the most boring character in the game. I could make an argument for Soldier, Bastion, Junkrat and Reinhardt all being easily more boring.

Also 龍が我が敵を喰らう!

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's all dependant on skill level, a good Sombra/Widow is a pleasant surprise but definitely not the standard.

As a Widow main, there is no better feeling then slam picking Widow, people criticizing your choice, and then carrying the poo poo out of a team because you're on fire. There is no worse feeling then slam picking Widow, people criticizing your choice, and then missing basically every single shot and switching off in shame.

It's a game of highs and lows.

I hate playing Widow in quick play though, especially on defense, because I'll get a couple of picks and then someone on the enemy team will switch to Winston and just do nothing but jump on me all goddamn game. It's not even a good strategy, but QP is chaotic enough that no one will punish the Winston for feeding. It sucks rear end, and is the primary reason I have a smurf. There I can play Widow at a lower level than my main account (I think my accounts have a 500 SR difference) and contribute to a team while not getting poo poo on over and over.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread or any other Overwatch thread here has had more than lukewarm things at most to say about the Bastion rework so this sounds like you arguing with an imaginary group of forums posters you made up in your head to try and land a sick burn on them, which is really weird.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread or any other Overwatch thread here has had more than lukewarm things at most to say about the Bastion rework so this sounds like you arguing with an imaginary group of forums posters you made up in your head to try and land a sick burn on them, which is really weird.

I would encourage you to heed Duck and Cover's red text and his 46 item rap sheet.

Although Bastion is actually kinda okay at low ranks when paired with Orisa, and Orisa Torb Sym Bastion Junkrat Mercy is an incredibly frustrating comp to play against at low tier right now (and Bastion is surprisingly good against Pharah if he's set up right/in recon mode where he actually does more damage and can secure more consistent hits than Soldier.)

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 2, 2017

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bleck posted:

Why did they do this! Why does Blizzard hate me!

They realized if everyone knew how incredibly sexy the Blizzcon16 skin + golden gun is, everyone would be playing Bastion unless they severely nerfed it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Blue Caboose posted:

I would encourage you to heed Duck and Cover's red text and his 46 item rap sheet.

Yeah I know, that one just stood out to me the most because it's like what, yeah the Bastion rework sucks, everybody thinks so, even diehard Bastion fans don't like it. I've never seen a single person here or elsewhere who was like "oh yes, this is the change I was waiting for."

Nobody really cares about it enough to raise a big fuss because Bastion has always been a bad character, so even though the rework is objectively terrible it's at worst a sidegrade going from bad to bad in a different direction. Blizzard were the ones trying to position the new and improved Bastion as a shieldbuster par excellence but after the initial 48 hours of enthusiasm everyone swiftly discovered that nope, Bastion still sucks, and moved on.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I know, that one just stood out to me the most because it's like what, yeah the Bastion rework sucks, everybody thinks so, even diehard Bastion fans don't like it. I've never seen a single person here or elsewhere who was like "oh yes, this is the change I was waiting for."

Nobody really cares about it enough to raise a big fuss because Bastion has always been a bad character, so even though the rework is objectively terrible it's at worst a sidegrade going from bad to bad in a different direction. Blizzard were the ones trying to position the new and improved Bastion as a shieldbuster par excellence but after the initial 48 hours of enthusiasm everyone swiftly discovered that nope, Bastion still sucks, and moved on.

They also pretty much immediately ran back the most aggressive change (35% DR in turret form meant he effectively had 405 health and the mitigation made him much better at sticking in an entrenched position as a pseudotank. But they rolled it back to 20%, dropping his EHP to 360 with much less mitigation and the gun nerf made him significantly less effective at the one job he was still adequate at: murdering tanks. Also the meta moved away from a Rein-centric triple tank to Dive, which he's terrible against (although he's pretty hilariously strong against Winston).

Also he has the worst ult in the game (Pharah and Road are also in the conversation, but Tank form is really bad with only 20% DR) and he's got negative mobility still so like... yeah. I like Bastion a lot. He's got some fun potential with his leapfrogging/siege style, but he's just not tanky enough in a mobility filled game. They double nerfed him in the process of fixing the legitimately stupid nano/ironclad interaction. Changing it so that DR didn't stack past 50% should have been enough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dropping the dr was necessary because he could heal his way through whole ults and pulse bomb couldn't kill him at all. stacking nano on top wasn't the only problem with it

really the sentry changes were all pretty bad ideas. the recon stuff was good tho

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Bastion should be able to survive pulse bomb because he's such an easy target for it. Tanks survive it for a similar reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah that's crazy. he does too much damage for too long to have that kind of sustainability without any help. if he can survive any damage ult below riptire (which is stupid easy for him to kill) completely unassisted, that's terrible

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

dropping the dr was necessary because he could heal his way through whole ults and pulse bomb couldn't kill him at all. stacking nano on top wasn't the only problem with it

really the sentry changes were all pretty bad ideas. the recon stuff was good tho

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Bastion should be able to survive pulse bomb because he's such an easy target for it. Tanks survive it for a similar reason.

I think that Tracer being able to kill a turreted Bastion with a pulse bomb is as close to an iconic character interaction as you can have in a game like Overwatch, it's a quintessential demonstration that just parking in one spot as an immobile object with a healer pocketing you doesn't mean you're invulnerable and it's good to have something like that in the game as a teaching tool on both sides of the interaction (to people determined to play Bastion, be mindful of your surroundings, to people being frustrated by Bastion, here's a way you can make a go at breaking this deadlock). I think it was 100% the right call for Blizzard to ensure this continued to work.

The problems with the rework go beyond that interaction anyway, the recon changes are decent enough but like Manatee Cannon said, pretty much everything else they did to the turret mode was a strict downgrade and they inadvertently made his ult worse as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Being able to pulse a bastion is one of the best ways to break that dumb tactic when your team is just running into it over and over again. Glad its in the game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

You do realize this is a thing that could be looked up right? I however am totally right and have no need to. It's not like me being right even matters. It doesn't change the fact that Blizzards rework just ended up making Bastion worse.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bastion was a bad idea. A character who buys curve-wrecking offense at the cost of not moving is a nightmare to balance, actively closes off one of the two most important skills in an FPS, and is the most boring thing you could possibly do with the concept of "transforming war robot."

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Father Wendigo posted:

Their Pre-Season video explained that they were placing people approximately 500 points below their actual rating so players could earn their actual score because mandatory grinding is fun! But this season they're going to go out on a limb and try something different because they're wild and crazy guys!

Yes, really.

Wow, I placed this season and ended up placing about 500 points higher than I placed last season. I wondered if there wasn't a change like this behind it. It's also my highest SR ever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

as someone who played mostly heavy in TF2 i should like bastion a lot more than i do but it turns out being immobile is bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

orisa is more like the heavy than bastion is

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

good thing orisa is one of my favourites to play

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bastion was a bad idea. A character who buys curve-wrecking offense at the cost of not moving is a nightmare to balance, actively closes off one of the two most important skills in an FPS, and is the most boring thing you could possibly do with the concept of "transforming war robot."

I kinda want them to totally overhaul Bastion's design and just make him Tone from Titanfall 2 (with maybe Sentry form as an ult since Tone's ult is essentially Pharah's ult). Or really anything.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dodgeball posted:

people who say "waifu" sincerely

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

people who say "waifu" sincerely

what character is for the people who say waifu ironically

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Orisa.

Though I am entirely unironic about it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just used junkrat ult in a building while standing on an enemy winston's head. Junkrat despawned for the duration of the ult by entering the roof top of the building. :psyduck:

Minera fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 3, 2017

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to think of even a fun way for them to switch his tank and sentry modes, like maybe making the tank's rockets do Pharah-comparable damage but make the tank a lot more mobile, but even then, anything I can think of to make sentry-as-ult actually work seems too broken on paper.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I'm about to do some placement matches on XBox if anyone is interested. My GT is OldNorthBridge. I will probably get started around 11 EST.

edit: make that 11:30 EST

OldNorthBridge fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 3, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tank as his normal alt form would just be worse junkrat tbh

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bleck posted:

I tried to think of even a fun way for them to switch his tank and sentry modes, like maybe making the tank's rockets do Pharah-comparable damage but make the tank a lot more mobile, but even then, anything I can think of to make sentry-as-ult actually work seems too broken on paper.

He would be too similar between Pharah and Junkrat at that point.

Perhaps if he had a bit more if he had more utility like being able to shoot down projectile based weapons or something that made him do more than dps.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Deathmatch is a lot of fun. Having people coming into the fight from all directions, fighting each other as well as you, makes battles a lot more dynamic. The map is really well designed, too - it feels like there's always a door you can duck into or a ledge you can jump off in order to escape a battle or enter a new one, and the sightlines are .

It really emphasizes the sound design, too. Without an objective to be funneled toward, I spend a lot more time following my ears - running toward the sounds of gunfire or chasing down the sounds of footsteps.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bleck posted:

I was literally thinking the same thing a few hours ago. You could make the tank shells do more damage the further distance they travel to impact (because Defense is now the sniper tree, you see), and have the sentry have screenwide spread but do windup/grindup damage where damage is exponential based off of hits registered - 1 makes 2 makes 4 makes 16 makes 256 makes gently caress OFF..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Deathmatch is a lot of fun. Having people coming into the fight from all directions, fighting each other as well as you, makes battles a lot more dynamic. The map is really well designed, too - it feels like there's always a door you can duck into or a ledge you can jump off in order to escape a battle or enter a new one, and the sightlines are .

It really emphasizes the sound design, too. Without an objective to be funneled toward, I spend a lot more time following my ears - running toward the sounds of gunfire or chasing down the sounds of footsteps.

Deathmatch really made me appreciate just how handicapped I am in this game as a Deaf player. Playing against people who are, effectively, psychic and trying to outplay and kill them is haaa-aaard but at least has greatly improved my aim in only five days.