Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The latest video has the first of the two set-piece boss fights I mentioned earlier as cementing this game as awesome for me.

Ninjas and a superspy facing off in a trailer park during a tornado. Awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Just wait till we see the second boss fight. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Akron was a pretty unique level, one of the better ones in the game though endless spawning of enemies goes on a little too long and the fight at the end can be very frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. Funnily enough the opening sequence of Portal 2 always reminded me of this game due to the way your little motel room breaks apart.

I have to wonder though, what do you think the authorities made of all those dead Japanese women they found shot to death strewn all over the place? The ones in the house didn't vanish in a puff of smoke...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

HARM and Unity probably have body cleaners that clean the scenes.

Though, if that Twister was going the right way, nothing is left of Blitznys House anyhow.

Edit:

This part and the next are why I love this game more than NOLF1.

NOLF1 felt really warehousey to me, but this has a few Setpieces I remember very very fondly.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 3, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the actual lead is a piece of superspy junk mail.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The part in the house when you're searching for evidence has a lot of great atmospheric creepiness, and then it's followed by the most absurd ninja fight. It's not often whiplash is this fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I liked the quiet looking for clues scene. It's nice for a little bit of exploration and intrigue, even if it shows a questionable lack of competence on UNITY's part.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I liked the quiet looking for clues scene. It's nice for a little bit of exploration and intrigue, even if it shows a questionable lack of competence on UNITY's part.

It's a spy thriller/action movie. If an agent doesn't have a name, on either side, they're both doomed and very bad at their job.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Glad to see you getting to NOLF 2. I've been craving doing a run through of the game, but good lord is it picky about running properly for me. :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Glazius posted:

I like that the actual lead is a piece of superspy junk mail.

And that the only reason it was there in the first place is because Blitzny sucked at destroying documents.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news! Cate isn't dead! Also welcome to India, where it's really just a jolly old time.

Double Cross
Scene 1/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The French assassin. Just wait. :allears:

What, you didn't listen in on that stupid phone call? It's piss easy to get ahead of him. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2017

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Wow, that is one bullshit scene transition. We're stuck in an airborne building in the middle of the tornado and it's being shredded into firewood as we speak, aaaaand we wake up in a hospital bed and also we're completely fine. gently caress offff

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey at least we didn't end up in Oz!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I love that they brought back Armstrong. He's great. The mime guy is also great.
- "It's not like I blend in." :allears:
- I enjoy Calcutta. You're forced to rely on stealth to avoid the cops.
- Oh come on, you HAVE to bug his hotel room. The conversation which the bug records is great. I don't remember having a difficult time getting there either.
- Banannas falling on the ground are as loud as gunshots.
- The requirement to plant a bug/rifle the safe is important because just listening at the door will give you the wrong password.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Armstrong might've been a cheap fanservice but damnit it warms my heart to see him back. He does take part in some of the game's best segments though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gustav posted:

Wow, that is one bullshit scene transition. We're stuck in an airborne building in the middle of the tornado and it's being shredded into firewood as we speak, aaaaand we wake up in a hospital bed and also we're completely fine. gently caress offff

At this point I'm kind of hoping that every single mission will end with Cate's imminent demise, which will be dropped with increasingly more bullshit explanations over the course of the game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I have been peer pressure shamed into recording the phone call, which I have never heard before.

Double Cross
Bonus/Polsy

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure whether the rupee counts are supposed to be a joke, or just that the writers didn't bother to look up the exchange rates for rupees, but if Cate didn't have enough money to pay Harij then she literally went to India without a dollar to her name.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

WFGuy posted:

I'm not sure whether the rupee counts are supposed to be a joke, or just that the writers didn't bother to look up the exchange rates for rupees, but if Cate didn't have enough money to pay Harij then she literally went to India without a dollar to her name.

Probably just a writer mistake, but it does seem in character for UNITY.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

I have been peer pressure shamed into recording the phone call, which I have never heard before.

Double Cross
Bonus/Polsy

Peer pressure or beer pressure?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NHO posted:

Peer pressure or beer pressure?

we can do both

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that was basically like making the password "chicken soup"? Like it was what he had for lunch? I can see why the boss is ticked off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

dscruffy1 posted:

Double Cross
Bonus/Polsy

Listening to that made me remember parts of the conversation and the fact that I did the bugging thing and not accessing the safe.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, I played a bit of the first level of the first game, and did we find out what HARM stood for?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WFGuy posted:

Maybe Crazy Harij only accepts rupees? You could offer him a wheelbarrow full of dollar bills and he'd just shout 50 rupees at you. Cate probably assumed her contact would handle the local currency and going into an exchange might be a bad idea when you're wanted for shooting a stabbed murder victim.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Wanted for shooting a man, and stabbing them, and getting an elephant to step on them.

Armstrong! He's one of the better characters in this game. It's odd that he seems so familiar and informal with Cate, assuming the last time they saw each other was when Cate handed Magnus his rear end in Switzerland.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They're both Scottish, and they probably spent a few hours at the airports and trains traveling to Unity HQ and then again from there all the way to India.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Also remember why Armstrong fought Cate instead of just killing her last game. They're both Scots- he respects that and her, so he remembers her- especially since she kicked his arse. He's not pissed about that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HardDiskD posted:

So, I played a bit of the first level of the first game, and did we find out what HARM stood for?
That might just be answered in this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

achtungnight posted:

Also remember why Armstrong fought Cate instead of just killing her last game. They're both Scots- he respects that and her, so he remembers her- especially since she kicked his arse. He's not pissed about that.

I think beating Armstrong in a fair fight is probably the most certain way to make friends with him.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Did someone say forced stealth section?!?!?

Oh. I did. poo poo.

Double Cross
Scene 2/Polsy

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Everything would have been so much easier with some sleep darts...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah, that's definitely the worst part of the game. Fortunately it's relatively short.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

When the guards have their conversation at the top of the stairs they aren't looking at you sneaking into the office. Piece of cake. If you know about that of course.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Poil posted:

When the guards have their conversation at the top of the stairs they aren't looking at you sneaking into the office. Piece of cake. If you know about that of course.

If you're not a completionist and know ahead of time which door has the office, sure. Otherwise, you're gonna have issues.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

If you're not a completionist and know ahead of time which door has the office, sure. Otherwise, you're gonna have issues.
If you haven't replaced the game so many times you've got it memorized, you have no one but yourself to blame if you go the wrong way or mess up. :reject:

But I do remember how frustrating it was the first time. Not fun. But it's at least not a game over if you fail. The guards have endless patience with you sneaking around. The staircase is just too open with not enough view of the guards patterns.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 6, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As far as forced stealth sections go, this is super forgiving. You have quicksaves and if you get seen it's not a failure state.

Really painful forced stealth is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, where you need to get across an open map in daylight which has guard towers that have alarms. It's not at all clear when an enemy in a distant tower is looking in your direction, and most annoying you can get spotted at times after you think you're in the clear. There can be a little delay between being spotted and the alarm going off. There's not much more frustrating than quicksaving and second later hearing the alarm going off, forcing you to load an older save or restart the whole thing.

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

I spy with my little eye a great LP!

I'm late to the party, but I'm happy to catch this before it's ended. I love both NOLF games and enjoyed the last LP so I'm pleased to come back to check on the forums to see this gem is happening<3

All that said I have some quick silly doodles because that's just what I do.

Cate got buff between games. I'm all for her just lifting and tossing lil buggers around.

Sure they go and retrieve Cate Archer, but do they grab Yamata, too? NooOOOooo. Poor guy had to get back to base all by himself.

With all the lipstick (among other things) Cate finds all over the place it's a shame there's no conversation about it. Lipstick is pretty good at helping chapped lips and all, which would totally be a problem in the cold.

I mean, sure she might be able to smell it, but it's cold and her nose is most likely compromised so tasting it would be the next best option. Cate's nothing but thorough about her findings.

All the civilians are just labelled friend in India and just <3<3<3

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
The banana doesn't have to be on the ground to trip people. You can just toss them right in their face and they'll slip. I call this technique "The Offensive Banana".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Akogare Zephyr posted:

I spy with my little eye a great LP!

I'm late to the party, but I'm happy to catch this before it's ended. I love both NOLF games and enjoyed the last LP so I'm pleased to come back to check on the forums to see this gem is happening<3

All that said I have some quick silly doodles because that's just what I do.

Cate got buff between games. I'm all for her just lifting and tossing lil buggers around.

Sure they go and retrieve Cate Archer, but do they grab Yamata, too? NooOOOooo. Poor guy had to get back to base all by himself.

With all the lipstick (among other things) Cate finds all over the place it's a shame there's no conversation about it. Lipstick is pretty good at helping chapped lips and all, which would totally be a problem in the cold.

I mean, sure she might be able to smell it, but it's cold and her nose is most likely compromised so tasting it would be the next best option. Cate's nothing but thorough about her findings.

All the civilians are just labelled friend in India and just <3<3<3

I love everything in this post.

• Locked thread