Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the cousin bit has always been a pretty direct way to foreshadow/make it an ah-ha! moment when Maddie arrives.

Now, is Maddie a tulpa????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

esperterra posted:

Now, is Maddie a tulpa????
I've always found it kind of strange that a teenager would travel to her distant cousin's funeral without her parents. And surprising her aunt and uncle and staying at their house without planning.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wasn't Maddie supposed to be in her early 20s, though? She had a job to get back to, or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where is Coop at the very start of S3 when he's talking to the fireman, in the black and white place?
Like where in the chronology is this? He's being told about Richard and Linda and Coop says he understands. Then he flickers out.
Where does he go?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it future, or is it past ????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm already doing my S3 rewatch.

This poo poo is so loving good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm excited to do mine. Just waiting for work to calm down, and I'm going to do the whole show over with 3 in mind. It will be fun trying to figure out what in s3 may be scrapped ideas from the show or planned movies + what is just being written with the first two seasons and FWWM in mind.

e: oh i guess I might read the book again, but probably audiobook that poo poo or smth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I started rewatching from S1, I got to like episode 3 but I really wanted to just start straight back into S3 while I remember the end. So many of the stories in it are so good. My favourite is still the very first little short vignette about the box in New York. As soon as I saw that I knew it was gonna be a good show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loved all of the New York stuff. On its own it makes an excellent little short horror film.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Oh man, the other thing I noticed on a rewatch: When Boop called "Jeffries", whoever it is says "Sorry I missed you in New York." This is not long after The Experiment escapes and murders the guy and girl in... New York.

We know from Episode 2 that Ray is working to kill Booper with Jeffries (?) (and later learn is a paid informant for the FBI work with THEM to kill Boop?).

Yet, when Booper meets Teakettle Jeffries, this is not remarked on and Jeffries-as-Teapot does not try to kill Boop (at least directly).

So, is "Jeffries" referring to a different missed connection (we know the glass box was visited more times prior to the Experiment murders), is Jeffries referring to the fact it meant to kill Booper instead of Sam and Coffee Girl or by sending a murderghost? Is the ghost supposed to BE Jeffries or just an agent of the lodge? Earlier I'd though MIKE wanted to be reunited with Bob, but "Jeffries" and the experiment seem much more direct and malicious than MIKE.

Aaaand Booper asks about the "Judy Symbol" (bug head on the Ace card) before talking to "Jeffries" and we have no indication that it's Judy trying to kill Booper or that Boop THINKS this Judy Symbol is connected to "Jeffries". So that implies (to me) that the Experiment has nothing to do with Judy at all and that if we're meant to think the Experiment is "Mother" from the Mauve Zone, then Mother and Judy are also unconnected. But then Sarah Palm-

:psyboom:
I also noticed that connection on a rewatch, the "I missed you in New York" and the Experiment showing up and murdering the couple there. Booper is clearly not talking to the real Jeffries. He's confused about who it is, but then it starts talking about Booper going back into the Black Lodge so whatever's on the other end can "be with BOB again", and he appears to settle into a disturbed understanding. He must get the nature of the threat, because that's the moment he starts planning his escape from the prison he gets sent to after his car accident. The simplest explanation I can come up with is that the Experiment and Judy are the same entity, it's Judy on the other end of that call, Judy wants to be reunited with BOB but can't because Booper is hogging him, and that was Judy showing up in New York looking for Booper and BOB. Not sure why it killed the couple on the couch, maybe because it's pure negativity and has a natural allergy toward passionate sex.

Does anyone remember which episode it was that reveals Booper is operating the glass box in NYC? I think I remember seeing a grainy photo of him at that location during one of the Gordon/Albert scenes, but I was pretty fuckin Jerry Horne'd for most of the season so I can't recall where exactly I saw it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Wasn't Maddie supposed to be in her early 20s, though? She had a job to get back to, or something.

I think she had to get back to college.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

acksplode posted:

I also noticed that connection on a rewatch, the "I missed you in New York" and the Experiment showing up and murdering the couple there. Booper is clearly not talking to the real Jeffries. He's confused about who it is, but then it starts talking about Booper going back into the Black Lodge so whatever's on the other end can "be with BOB again", and he appears to settle into a disturbed understanding. He must get the nature of the threat, because that's the moment he starts planning his escape from the prison he gets sent to after his car accident. The simplest explanation I can come up with is that the Experiment and Judy are the same entity, it's Judy on the other end of that call, Judy wants to be reunited with BOB but can't because Booper is hogging him, and that was Judy showing up in New York looking for Booper and BOB. Not sure why it killed the couple on the couch, maybe because it's pure negativity and has a natural allergy toward passionate sex.

This makes a tooon of sense. "You're still with me. Good." I just took this to be kind of an affirmation but it could as easily mean that something, like Judy, is actively trying to take Bob back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People kept saying the voice sounded like Sarah when you messed with it earlier in the thread, but I never saw an actual example.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Judy calling Booper makes a ton of sense until you remember that he is looking for the black symbol, which many assume represents Judy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tap my mountain posted:

Judy calling Booper makes a ton of sense until you remember that he is looking for the black symbol, which many assume represents Judy.

Yeah, that part is very confusing. What did he want her for if she was just going to kill him and take his BOB?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Thats the thing about twin peaks, even when you finally get two puzzle pieces to fit together, they still don't fit cleanly and it leaves you uneasy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
He was showing the experiment symbol on a playing card, I think he wants that power in his deck, so to speak. Otherwise why use a playing card?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Walrus posted:

This makes a tooon of sense. "You're still with me. Good." I just took this to be kind of an affirmation but it could as easily mean that something, like Judy, is actively trying to take Bob back.

It also explains why Booper is trying to get to the Palmer house: Sarah/Judy is there, and it's his primary threat, and he wants to eliminate it somehow. Although I don't understand why he wouldn't just drive there directly, instead of trying to go via the White Lodge portal near Jack Rabbit's Palace...

tap my mountain posted:

I don't follow, what doesn't make sense there? Also I think Hawk's map tells us point-blank that the black bug symbol thing represents Judy.

Unrelated, here's a fun detail I noticed: The evolution of the arm tells Cooper about "253". Booper's dashboard clock says it's 2:53 when Cooper exits the Black Lodge and Dougie gets sucked back in. And time is frozen at 2:53 at the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Office when everything goes black. I wonder what time Cooper sees when he looks at his watch before he and Diane cross over into Odessa :)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Show flashed some good things and was generally okay, but David Lynch was given too much leeway to suck his own cock.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZc2Qa6-oO4
This is loving sick.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

Is there anything that would contradict the idea he's looking for her to trap, imprison or control her?

acksplode posted:

It also explains why Booper is trying to get to the Palmer house: Sarah/Judy is there, and it's his primary threat, and he wants to eliminate it somehow. Although I don't understand why he wouldn't just drive there directly, instead of trying to go via the White Lodge portal near Jack Rabbit's Palace...

I could still go either way on this - either the Briggs coordinates were a setup all along to get bad cooper to the police station where he met his destiny (contradicting this is that coordinates are only a where, not a when) - OR, there are some darn interesting potential implications from the fact that evil cooper cannot just drive directly to twin peaks. but of course, everyone else is able to fly there from vegas or buckhorn no problem.

so in conclusion i dont fuckin know

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also, to all the 'there was no ending' people, the ending was episodes 15-17, 18 was an epilogue/coda. it just wasn't the ending you wanted.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I think it's Mike on the phone to Caffiene-Free-Cooper as he wants to be with BOB again to neuter him. Then again, it could be, I dunno, Moe. Jeffries was a really good character in this, his strange non-answers in the last couple of episodes were the perfect setup for the end.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Modrasone posted:

I think it's Mike on the phone to Caffiene-Free-Cooper as he wants to be with BOB again to neuter him.
When was Mike in New York, though? That's the detail that sticks with me and really makes me think it's Judy. That plus how freaked out Booper looks.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

It's a deceptive phone call. If Mike can appear in chairs and fireplaces and poo poo I'm sure he can pop up between some sick server racks in New York. As far as we know nobody from the rest of the cast appeared in New York at any point. Maybe the kettle did, maybe the culturally offensive non-person did, maybe it was the Alex Jones-alike with the pure con artistry shovels. It's a great mystery and if I'm going to throw a dart at a map I'll go with the dude that can appear out of nowhere who has a vested interest in being with BOB again.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Modrasone posted:

I think it's Mike on the phone to Caffiene-Free-Cooper as he wants to be with BOB again to neuter him. Then again, it could be, I dunno, Moe. Jeffries was a really good character in this, his strange non-answers in the last couple of episodes were the perfect setup for the end.

Please, be specific

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

Maybe he wants to find and kill Judy's host to make it harder for her to pull him back into the Lodge.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 7, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Modrasone posted:

It's a deceptive phone call. If Mike can appear in chairs and fireplaces and poo poo I'm sure he can pop up between some sick server racks in New York. As far as we know nobody from the rest of the cast appeared in New York at any point. Maybe the kettle did, maybe the culturally offensive non-person did, maybe it was the Alex Jones-alike with the pure con artistry shovels. It's a great mystery and if I'm going to throw a dart at a map I'll go with the dude that can appear out of nowhere who has a vested interest in being with BOB again.
The phone call wasn't deceptive, though. The voice on the other end was very direct and to the point, and didn't bother trying to make the impression that it was actually Jeffries. I also don't get the impression that Mike wants to be with BOB. He doesn't seem to like BOB much anymore after their time together, and the plan he's participating in ends up apparently destroying BOB, not bringing him into the Black Lodge.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Walrus posted:

Is there anything that would contradict the idea he's looking for her to trap, imprison or control her?

I dunno he just doesn't seem to take any steps towards actually finding her. He should have figured out that was her with the "I missed you in New York" line since he's the only one who has been there. You'd think he could have used his electronic device wizardry to trace the call or something.

Maybe Booper is really dumb

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

The conversation between Cooper and Jeffries towards the end? The dialogue was just not right. It seemed like there was a bit of misunderstanding going on, it was something like "didn't you already ask me this?". It was the first real inkling after Cooper's face being super-imposed over the Ending that things seemed off somehow, that Cooper had a plan but it wasn't going to work.

Edit - Who actually genuinely missed him in New York? Cooper, when he came through the box and wasn't captured on film. The phonecall was from Cooper. Oooooh.

Modrasone fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 7, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh guys, guys! Something has been driving me crazy since, oh, Episode 8 or so about those bell/dome-shaped devices that The Fireman has everywhere - and in the finale we saw he had like freaking rooms of the drat things crackling with massive amounts of electricity. And I was trying to think "Where in hell did I see that before?" I've read/watched too much bullshit conspiracy stuff when I was an overly impressionable teenager and I remembered it from that, and I finally made the connection watching some silly Netflix show about The Third Reich. Hitler was obsessed with the occult (as we all know because Martin Brodie tells us so in Raiders of the Lost Ark) and seemingly impossible ideas and funded all kinds of insane crap, so the nazis have always been intensely fertile ground for conspiracy stuff.

But anyway, one of the stupid things he funded was this thing called "die glocke" which was this bell-shaped device that was supposed to generate TREMENDOUS amounts of electricity by spinning around "red mercury" inside at huge speeds, which supposedly creates some electro-magnetic field that warps space-time or some poo poo when enough energy/electricity is generated. Supposedly they realized that they could use it to "travel through time" by placing a mirror above the top and looking down into the unit, which showed some flickering images of the past or future, I guess?

Anyway, the key part I take from all of this is that in "conspiracy mythology" there was a Nazi device called "The Bell" which was used for instant time/space travel supposedly by creating vortexes in the sky, and it looks a whole lot like the devices we saw scattered all over season 3 which were always seemingly linked to time/space travel as well (Jeffries, The Giant's tower)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 7, 2017

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.
Sex magicks.

Jade + Tulpa-Dougie brought Cooper back into the world.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*arms flopping like the crusifiction*

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

kaworu posted:

Oh guys, guys! Something has been driving me crazy since, oh, Episode 8 or so about those bell/dome-shaped devices that The Fireman has everywhere - and in the finale we saw he had like freaking rooms of the drat things crackling with massive amounts of electricity. And I was trying to think "Where in hell did I see that before?" I've read/watched too much bullshit conspiracy stuff when I was an overly impressionable teenager and I remembered it from that, and I finally made the connection watching some silly Netflix show about The Third Reich. Hitler was obsessed with the occult (as we all know because Martin Brodie tells us so in Raiders of the Lost Ark) and seemingly impossible ideas and funded all kinds of insane crap, so the nazis have always been intensely fertile ground for conspiracy stuff.

But anyway, one of the stupid things he funded was this thing called "die glocke" which was this bell-shaped device that was supposed to generate TREMENDOUS amounts of electricity by spinning around "red mercury" inside at huge speeds, which supposedly creates some electro-magnetic field that warps space-time or some poo poo when enough energy/electricity is generated. Supposedly they realized that they could use it to "travel through time" by placing a mirror above the top and looking down into the unit, which showed some flickering images of the past or future, I guess?

Anyway, the key part I take from all of this is that in "conspiracy mythology" there was a Nazi device called "The Bell" which was used for instant time/space travel supposedly by creating vortexes in the sky, and it looks a whole lot like the devices we saw scattered all over season 3 which were always seemingly linked to time/space travel as well (Jeffries, The Giant's tower)

Holy lol, this is pretty good. I checked the wiki for that and this stood out

That's pretty much what Andy was doing

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tap my mountain posted:

Maybe Booper is really dumb

kaworu posted:

a Nazi device called "The Bell"

Trousers! posted:

Sex magicks.

Jade + Tulpa-Dougie brought Cooper back into the world.

I've come around on coming around on the ending to season three, and now I hate Twin Peaks. Thanks, thread.

edit: The Fireman is a skinhead. :aaaaa:

And More fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 8, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Haha holy crap that rules. I feel like we're going to be deciphering the references in this season for years.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Origami Dali posted:

Just looking up good old crypto and conspiracy theory videos, this seems to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WaTHNN7gFQ

Disappearing folks
Time Travel
Vegetation turning into oil like substance (burnt oil at glastonbury grove, etc...)

Considering that the los alamos nuclear bomb testing was going on before the end of WWII, maybe the nazis were able to get their hands on one of the Giant's / Fireman's bells? Sure, they may have gotten time travel but we got the destructive force of Jiao De! Take that, Jerry!

G-III fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 8, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

G-III posted:

Just looking up good old crypto and conspiracy theory videos, this seems to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WaTHNN7gFQ

Disappearing folks
Time Travel
Vegetation turning into oil like substance (burnt oil at glastonbury grove, etc...)

Considering that the los alamos nuclear bomb testing was going on before the end of WWII, maybe the nazis were able to get their hands on one of the Giant's / Fireman's bells? Sure, they may have gotten time travel but we got the destructive force of Jiao De! Take that, Jerry!

Laura screams and suddenly the screen goes dark

EXT DAY

DALE COOPER emerges from a red curtain and finds himself on a balcony overlooking thousands of soldiers, his FBI pin now replaced by the Iron Cross. The faint singing "Die Fahne hoch... can be heard on the air.

ADALEPH COOPTLER: ...What year is this???!

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Cooper did 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Was evil Coop actually looking for Naido? The coordinates were sending him to her, but was that just because he was being tricked by the lodges? There's something weird about Naido where I'm not sure if she was just Diane trapped in another form. She makes noises that sound like a monkey (a monkey's face whispers "Judy" in FWWM) or a bird ("where we're from, birds sing a pretty song"), and sometimes she makes sounds that distinctly sound like a crying baby. The way she just turns into Diane, it kind of makes me wonder if she was like some sort of amorphous thing that wasn't necessarily Diane but had the potential to become her. Because I don't know why evil Coop would need her if she was just Diane--presumably he already had more than enough access to Diane to be able to make a tulpa of her, among other things.