Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Jim Sterling, Larry Bundy Jr., and Laura Kate Dale

The three of them are way too sensationalist to be any good. They're the youtuber equivalent of buzzfeed.

Sorry for another terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I stopped watching Jim Sterling's videos when he panned BOTW just because nobody else did.

Super Bunnyhop is great, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sterling comes across as kind of a contrarian for contrarianism's sake, which bothers me after years of lurking SA. I never saw much of Laura's own content but she seems fine, if a bit trigger-happy. Dunno about the other guy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sultan Tarquin posted:

For a game that appeared to be a cool 60's mod bioshock when they first showed the trailer but turned out to be just another early access randomly generated crafting survival game :v:

Well the reason for the price increase is that they're actually making it a cool 60s bioshock style game instead of a lovely procgen survival game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Terminally Bored posted:

The three of them are way too sensationalist to be any good. They're the youtuber equivalent of buzzfeed.

I think they're alright as long as you keep a skeptical mind, but skepticism is generally an important part of being a media consumer in general. I think Jim's consumer advocacy is, at least, valuable in its own way. I think as we get further down the rabbit hole of manipulative publisher practices, it's important to at least have a strong voice for that kind of thing. He's no platonic ideal, but I'd much rather have him out there than not.

Mind, comparing their literally in-house operations to a huge media vulture machine like Buzzfeed seems a bit sensationalistic in and of itself. Youtube commentators generally have to balance entertainment and substance, and we'll all have our own line to draw with that sort of thing.

Ed: Mind, now that Laura is the editor at Kotaku UK you can probably call her sensationalistic, but time will tell on that. (I guess I'd have to read Kotaku again to care, and I generally put the kibosh on that.)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mill Village posted:

I stopped watching Jim Sterling's videos when he panned BOTW just because nobody else did.

lol people still being mad at Sterling calling Breath of the Wild merely "good"

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a really good video game video essayist. He's got a fairly slow schedule but his videos are thousands of words long and he really dives into what he thinks (such as opining that Homefront Revolution's DLC actually does have some redeeming value and justifying it well enough that you'll probably nod along a bit). It seems like he does really long takes because in his videos you'll constantly come hear him clear his throat or cough or stumble over a few words but if you can stand that he's probably one of the best out there.

Edit: Oh, also, he's doing all of it while living on the road in an old VW camper with his wife and dog. He's basically a video game hippie.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mill Village posted:

But he didn't pan it. He said it was good, just not amazing. That's a fairly accurate assessment.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

Well the reason for the price increase is that they're actually making it a cool 60s bioshock style game instead of a lovely procgen survival game.

Is there a Colonial Marines sequel coming out for them to steal money and team members from that I didn't hear about, or what?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You have to realize that when you see somebody criticize Nintendo, it's nothing but bullshit and they're just trolling for hits. I mean, even if they don't monetize their videos or put ads on their site, and don't necessarily rely on hits to make money, it turns out they're doing it just for the attention. I mean, some people just lust after personal threats and DDoS attacks. It's the only conceivable answer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As far as YouTube goes, I like Errant Signal, Noah Caldwell-Gervais, Gggmanlives and ProJared/SpaceHamster/brutalmoose/PeanutButterGamer. Our very own slowbeef too, before his channel became all Kickstarter all the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are there any gaming youtubers that are interesting to watch but aren't screaming manchildren, e.g. Pewdiepie, Markiplier? I like Christopher Odd somewhat, is there anything like that?
Only this ongoing documentary series on the history of international multimedia entertainment. Everything else is just the folks the local cable newsroom refused to hire for lack of charisma.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Turd Herder posted:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/newsroom/2017/09/11/pewdiepie-uses-racial-slur-livestream-causing-outrage/

Looks like Pewdiepie is making waves in his streams as of late When he called another gamer a N****r during a live stream. Wonder if this will be the final nail or just more publicity?

Are these people new to the world of the internet? I watched the video and didn't even realized what he had done until you pointed it out, simply because so many loving people do the same thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zathril posted:

Is Battlefleet Gothic: Armada worth is doe SP only? Also is the DLC worth picking up?

I'd say a tentative yes but make sure you play through two hours without bad crashing. I had a persistent tutorial crash I only got through by dialing the graphics down a notch.

Digirat posted:

I've found one single person who doesn't play like this called beaglerush and he's the only one I can watch. Unlike practically every other player in existence he constantly goes looking for people to kill. This repeatedly gets him into impossible situations but he somehow digs himself out by being incredible at the game. He's had multiple games where the game hosed up and dropped him into a squads game with no squad (so it's him alone vs 24 teams of 4) and he's won.

Everything else I've seen of the game is watching paint dry.

Beagle has been the only person to make PlUnkBat watchable to me, his edited youtube videos are good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kibayasu posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a really good video game video essayist. He's got a fairly slow schedule but his videos are thousands of words long and he really dives into what he thinks (such as opining that Homefront Revolution's DLC actually does have some redeeming value and justifying it well enough that you'll probably nod along a bit). It seems like he does really long takes because in his videos you'll constantly come hear him clear his throat or cough or stumble over a few words but if you can stand that he's probably one of the best out there.

I enjoyed all his video essays on Mass Effect, and I feel like he was the only one who truly did a well-orchestrated takedown of Andromeda besides just lol face memes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That review was right before or after Sterling gave the Sony equivalent of BoTW, Horizon, a perfect score wasn't it? Dude loves attention.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xander77 posted:

I raved a bit about Betrayal at Krondor before.

Took a bit of a break (had poo poo to do, and chapter 5 is fairly hard if you're not prepared. One of the reasons I decided to write a guide) but finished it just now.

So I made it to the very last bit of open-sandbox content before you're locked into the endgame, and grabbed the ultimate weapon. Then I backtracked and massacred every remaining encounter in one hit.

Then I sold the ultimate sword in a shop, because you can do that. Then I bought three copies of the ultimate sword, so that every party member, present or future, could wield it.

Oh, and I turned Owyn (my main magic user) into a super-powered kung-fu monk. When the game teleported me into a world where mana was highly limited, I was like "what? I wasn't paying attention, too busy one-shotting enemies with my staff".

Game's good, is what I'm saying. Game's good, and allows you a lot of freedom you won't get in modern RPGs.

Now play Antara!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Justin_Brett posted:

That review was right before or after Sterling gave the Sony equivalent of BoTW, Horizon, a perfect score wasn't it? Dude loves attention.

He gave it a 9.5, which isn't especially out of line with how well Horizon was reviewed. He simply dared to think BOTW was good, not great, and doesn't tend to follow the IGN logic of "everything below a 7 is terrible."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I didn't like BoTW and I don't benefit from stupid page views or whatever. Sometimes, sometimes, people don't love the same things

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Out of the two switch games I own BoTW is definitely the weakest by far. Someday I hope to own the third switch game for a better sample size.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Justin_Brett posted:

BotW has big issues but also great ambition in how they tackle open world. Horizon is nearly perfect but it's the same old same old open world.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/pentadact/status/907297579867754496

Heat Signature is out soon. The betas were great and you should all buy it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

For those who are weirdly averse to clicking links: They're doing two weird things during launch week instead of pre-order nonsense:

1.) There'll be an item you can only unlock during launch week, that you'll keep into all your future games.

2.) Steam trading cards will be based on cool stories, gifs etc. that come out of the first week, and will bear the originator's name. Or alias, or whatever.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

corn in the bible posted:

Now play Antara!

Oh man, Antara was great, though from what I've read of Xander's guide to Betrayal at Krondor, I remember Antara being more streamlined and accessible in comparison. Still a jolly good time nonetheless.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are there any gaming youtubers that are interesting to watch but aren't screaming manchildren, e.g. Pewdiepie, Markiplier? I like Christopher Odd somewhat, is there anything like that?

I'm watching ManyaTrueNerd because he has no facecam, edits out the boring parts of the videos (he has made the only Stellaris video I've managed to watch by editing 4 hours streams into 30 minutes highlight videos) and he seems to genuinely enjoy the games he plays.

Plus there is no nazi, homophobic or racist stuff on his channel, which apparently now is something out of the ordinary because the Internet is a horrible place.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lol "Girthman" nice, nice

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MMF Freeway posted:

Lol "Girthman" nice, nice

Thank you, I'm quite proud of that one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nothing gets emotions high like Zelda games not getting 10/10 and 100%. Historically even all the GOTY Zelda's have some issues and poor design choices but the whole of the games are usually a magical experience that people will defend to their dying day.

Skyward Sword is probably the worst for it. The overworld is pretty bad compared to previous titles but the Wii motion controls are easily the weakest link.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jeff has said on the bombcast that he doesn't remember the 8.8 scandal, which I find kind of hard to believe.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm watching ManyaTrueNerd because he has no facecam, edits out the boring parts of the videos (he has made the only Stellaris video I've managed to watch by editing 4 hours streams into 30 minutes highlight videos) and he seems to genuinely enjoy the games he plays.

Plus there is no nazi, homophobic or racist stuff on his channel, which apparently now is something out of the ordinary because the Internet is a horrible place.

ManyATrueNerd is legit great and is immensely entertaining. He does lots of challenge runs, most famous being his "You Only Live Once" runs of FO3 & FNV where he restricts himself to one life bar, no healing allowed. He should be starting a FO4 YOLO run at some point too. He plays lots of stuff but his favorites are stuff like FO and Total War games. His is the only patreon I contribute to, as he is still small relative to bigger streamers. He doesn't do reaction vids or clickbait stuff. Good, solid, entertaining play of great games.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

Nothing gets emotions high like Zelda games not getting 10/10 and 100%. Historically even all the GOTY Zelda's have some issues and poor design choices but the whole of the games are usually a magical experience that people will defend to their dying day.

Skyward Sword is probably the worst for it. The overworld is pretty bad compared to previous titles but the Wii motion controls are easily the weakest link.

The good parts are overwhelmingly better than the bad parts. The terrible stealth sections don't stop OOT from being considered one of the best games ever made.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

Jeff has said on the bombcast that he doesn't remember the 8.8 scandal, which I find kind of hard to believe.

Jeff is a grown-rear end man with a house and a wife, why on earth would he remember it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mill Village posted:

The good parts are overwhelmingly better than the bad parts. The terrible stealth sections don't stop OOT from being considered one of the best games ever made.

The ratio of bad parts to good parts in Skyward Sword is a bit too high to gloss over.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Scott Forstall posted:

Do we know how much will it cost? It's certainly something I'm interested in and missing out on a cool gun would suck.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 11, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sininu posted:

Do we know how much will it cost? It's certainly something I'm interested in and missing out on a cool gun would suck.
https://twitter.com/HeatSig/status/907312986133549058

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks! I think I'm going to get it at that price.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DatonKallandor posted:

Even the attempt at being a 0451-like dystopia is really, really bad though. Like Bioshock wasn't subtle or anything but WHF having your character go from an emotionless cog to seeing that everyone is eating rats thinking they're pinatas and standing around singing the exact same slow creepy nursery rhyme song in the span of like a minute is practically self-parody, especially since it's a bunch of Canadian anglophiles affecting a bunch of British stuff with about as much depth as high schoolers shouting Shaun of the Dead quotes at each other.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm looking to get my friend a game for his birthday, and I've narrowed it down to PUBG or Nier Automata (which he's expressed interest in both). He has time to play games and we used to play Dota together so he doesn't mind competitive stuff. Considering the state of Nier's PC port am I better off getting him PUBG and leaving the latter for PS4?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/best-of-indie-legends-2-bundle a good buntle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I wouldn't wish PubG on my worst enemy. It's only fun when hanging out with friends on voice coms, and there's far better alternatives that let you do that while also being good games.