Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a round at a course that had aerated the day before, and it was amazing. The fairways were soft and lots of mud and no carry, but the job they did on the greens was nothing short of phenomenal. I've just never seen it done so well. The amount of sand had a predictable impact on break, but the impact on speed was minimal. Congratulations, Homestead in Lakewood, Colorado, you guys know your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Bought a whole set of golf pride cp2 grips at dicks after realizing my smaller hands need something a bit softer than the rock hard feeling (to me) stock grips on my clubs. I also picked up their last stiff flex blue cobra f7 driver since they were practically giving it to me for $160. Now my driver, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid are all f7 and I have one of each color scheme, this matters to me for some reason.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks all for the dollar amounts.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So the greens were, uh...a little slow at the local munie yesterday:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hehe, yeah our greens were done this week too. Close your eyes for the 3 foot putts. They'll be mint in like 3 weeks, just in time for the club championships.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Played for the first time in 4 months, second time in 13 months, shot +7 on the front 9, even on the back 7 (we skipped the 2 par 5s because it was dark). Still got it :feelsgood:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A good golf buddy who moved to Florida last year and is in town as a hurricane refugee sold his Nike Vapor Pros and offered to buy my irons, Titleist 712 MB w/X100 3-PW. Notably, these are the irons Rory used to win the 2012 PGA Championship right before leaving Titleist. They also have a nice anti-glare satin finish which has gone out of style for some reason.

The mid irons have moderate wear and the short irons have substantial wear so I was entertaining the idea for $200. Even so, I'd feel naked without a full set of clubs.

Replacing with the new 718 MB is out of the question. The MSRP went up 20% and I'd have to pay full price since there aren't any used sets.

The 714 MB look like poo poo.

I always considered upgrading to the 716 MB after used sets were under $400, and while most sets on Ebay are still $550+, someone offered me 4-PW in good condition with Tour Issue X100 shafts (ideal) and nearly new Golf Pride Victory Cord grips (almost ideal) that I haggled down to $400. The only caveat is that they're 4-PW, so I need to decide if I'm going to get a (driving) 2/3 iron or finally switch to a 4 wedge setup, but I'll mostly likely just have 13 clubs until I can find a 3 iron for <$60.

All this happened in 12 hours. And to think, I definitely wasn't going to buy any new golf stuff in 2017.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

And to think, I definitely wasn't going to buy any new golf stuff in 2017.
:rolleyes: Haha yeah okay buddy

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

I need to decide if I'm going to get a (driving) 2/3 iron or finally switch to a 4 wedge setup, but I'll mostly likely just have 13 clubs until I can find a 3 iron for <$60.

extra wedge all day imo

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

All this happened in 12 hours. And to think, I definitely wasn't going to buy any new golf stuff in 2017.

Yaaaaa about that

This will be here in a week lol

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Homestar Runner posted:

extra wedge all day imo

What do you need a driving iron for, Josh Lyman? Pretty sure I could quote you in this thread saying "just lol if you don't hit driver on every 4 and 5." :cheeky:

Going with 4 wedges helped me a lot. I don't hit my 54 as often as my 50 and my 58, but when it is the yardage, it is so clutch.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

What do you need a driving iron for, Josh Lyman? Pretty sure I could quote you in this thread saying "just lol if you don't hit driver on every 4 and 5." :cheeky:

Going with 4 wedges helped me a lot. I don't hit my 54 as often as my 50 and my 58, but when it is the yardage, it is so clutch.

I have a big gap between my 56 and AW(49) that came with my vapor fly pros.

Right now I have

49(AW came with set)
44(PW came with set)

The 56 works great from 110-100 yards in and the 49 is great from 130ish in. I need something in that 110-120 range in that I can take a full swing at, like a 52 or something, but then that's a 5! wedge setup lol. Or I could get rid of the 44 and 49 for better gapping.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Realistically, I'd get a 3 iron for 215-220 yds, but a 4th wedge would probably be more useful. It's just that I went 49/54/60 for the longest time, then 48/54/60, and now with these new irons, it'll be 47/54/60. So I guess it's time to go 52/56/60.

I just looked up the setups of the top 10 players in proximity to the hole from 50-125 yards and they all use 4 wedge setups. But Dustin Johnson and Webb Simpson at T12 and Adam Scott at T15 are 3 wedge guys. DJ is especially weird since he goes 47/52/60. But they're clearly the exception, not the rule.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 12, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I have a big gap between my 56 and AW(49) that came with my vapor fly pros.

Right now I have

49(AW came with set)
44(PW came with set)

The 56 works great from 110-100 yards in and the 49 is great from 130ish in. I need something in that 110-120 range in that I can take a full swing at, like a 52 or something, but then that's a 5! wedge setup lol. Or I could get rid of the 44 and 49 for better gapping.
Don't think of the 44 as a wedge when it comes to gapping. 3 wedge players are looking to cover 47-60* and 4 wedge players will cover 46-62*. If I were you, I would definitely look at adding a 52*.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't think of the 44 as a wedge when it comes to gapping. 3 wedge players are looking to cover 47-60* and 4 wedge players will cover 46-62*. If I were you, I would definitely look at adding a 52*.

Good point. Let's see what the used clubs webpages have :)

3balls.com has an extra 25% off wedges...

edit: now I have to make sure I make my raw black sm5's lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Realistically, I'd get a 3 iron for 215-220 yds, but a 4th wedge would probably be more useful. It's just that I went 49/54/60 for the longest time, then 48/54/60, and now with these new irons, it'll be 47/54/60. So I guess it's time to go 52/56/60.

I just looked up the setups of the top 10 players in proximity to the hole from 50-125 yards and they all use 4 wedge setups. But Dustin Johnson and Webb Simpson at T12 and Adam Scott at T15 are 3 wedge guys. DJ is especially weird since he goes 47/52/60. But they're clearly the exception, not the rule.

I go PW (46*), 50*, 54*, and 58*. I have my yardages covered for the most part (there's maybe 5 yards between my PW and GW, but everything else is solid).

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
JFC I figured out how to stop chunking my irons (needed to flatten out my swing plane) and now I'm chunking my DRIVER all of a sudden. WHAT THE BLOOMING gently caress

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Lincoln posted:

JFC I figured out how to stop chunking my irons (needed to flatten out my swing plane) and now I'm chunking my DRIVER all of a sudden. WHAT THE BLOOMING gently caress

I did the opposite of this this week. I was solid out of the box with my driver and three wood, but my wedges were chunkie cheese's. New clubs came in the mail today (Callaway Apex) so I may never find out what was going on, but I do get to experience an AW for the first time :D.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Lincoln posted:

it might be ball position, or tempo. maybe you're swinging over-the-top?

also check your weight shift. and your grip. oh, and your setup.

and remember to pay attention to each of the thousands of variables that take place during a normal golf swing. hth :)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Try moving your wallet and phone to your left pocket and put your loose change in your right shoe

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Awwww.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY9jp5Kj3GR/?hl=en&taken-by=pgatour

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF is Spieth doing in a Cubs hat BANDWAGONER

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Where'd that kid get $12?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Where'd that kid get $12?

my man

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Had another lesson today, and we worked on my driver slice. Number one problem is me not releasing completely before contact...I'm not rotating my grip counter-clockwise enough. I'm finding that very, very difficult to force. Even when that's my one "swing thought," I still hit the ball with an open club face. Is there some mental "do this" device that will help me release properly?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Had another lesson today, and we worked on my driver slice. Number one problem is me not releasing completely before contact...I'm not rotating my grip counter-clockwise enough. I'm finding that very, very difficult to force. Even when that's my one "swing thought," I still hit the ball with an open club face. Is there some mental "do this" device that will help me release properly?
LOL that's a terrible swing thought and will lead to flipping the club and snap hooks. That's honestly the kind of advice I expect to hear from a 20 handicap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UnnyKLmwQ&t=136s

This is a more in depth discussion... from a different angle (LOL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalAVnzZBoY&t=31s

Those videos focus on the release alone. We really need a video of your swing to give proper help, but I suspect your path is also an issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYT3WnZmh0&t=87s

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 14, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Wait I can't tell if you posted those Crossfield videos mockingly or not ☹️

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

Wait I can't tell if you posted those Crossfield videos mockingly or not ☹️
Crossfield is unironically the best instructor on Youtube.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Crossfield is unironically the best instructor on Youtube.

I like that he is brutally honest most of the time, best course vlogs as well. Nice that he brings Ray on them sometimes so we can all see how badly we'd perform on camera.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

I like that he is brutally honest most of the time, best course vlogs as well. Nice that he brings Ray on them sometimes so we can all see how badly we'd perform on camera.

And Ray plays off of a "7"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I thought the new Ball Flight laws proved that initial direction is 85% due to club face and ball curvature is due to swing path relative to the face angle at impact?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

I thought the new Ball Flight laws proved that initial direction is 85% due to club face and ball curvature is due to swing path relative to the face angle at impact?
Yes

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Can someone describe the mechanics of what this guy is taking about? Specifically, the keep-your-elbow-tucked part. I have the same issue with my swing plane with my driver.

I had a horrible slice for years. I always just played it off the tee because trying to fix it was killing my score. One day I played a round with the club pro and asked him to watch my swing. He had me tee up about 3 balls and watched. Low and behold, I had an outside - in swing. When I asked him how to solve it, he simply said, "slow down and keep your right elbow tucked". I am right handed by the way. As it turns out, it fixed my slice. I still slice every now and then when I am not paying attention, but if I concentrate on not letting my right elbow "fly", then I typically hit the ball straight.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
There are numerous "Fix your slice" videos on YouTube if you're a visual learner, but here's a text explanation for what you might be doing vs. what you might try to do.

An over the top swing for a right hander means the driver head is approaching the ball from behind the ball and away from your body to closer to your body after it passes the ball. Closer to your left toes than it was when it was in front of your right toes.

Maybe some GolfWRX autists will come correct me, but the general idea is that the ball will initially start on the trajectory the clubhead is travelling but spin towards the direction the clubhead is facing at the moment of impact.

For a person with an outside-to-in swing who slices, that means the clubhead is moving to the left, so the ball starts left. And the only way to keep the ball in play is to hit the ball with an open club face (one that is pointing right). This way, the ball starts off left but spins back to the right, a high, weak shot without much oomph to it.

An outside-to-in swing forces the trail (right) arm away from your body. If you watch videos of people (maybe even yourself) with an over the top swing, you might see a gap between their body and their right arm as the elbow drops down towards their waist on the downswing. To counter this, keeping the right elbow "tucked" on the downswing forces the club to drop down and the clubhead to come from the "inside," which means it approaches the ball closer to your right toes and then passes the ball farther from your left toes.

Again, generally speaking, the only way to keep the ball in play with an inside-to-out swing is to have a closed clubface (one pointing left) so the ball will spin back into play, much like how you'd play ping pong.

You could get more technical and talk about the amount of ball movement hinging on the degrees open or closed the face is relative the clubhead, but that's more than you need to think about.

TL;DR - Solving a slice can be done by dropping your right elbow towards your right hip pocket on your downswing and sending the club on an inside-to-out path.

Edit: no good with words.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2017

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Kameh posted:

but the general idea is that the ball will initially start on the trajectory the clubhead is travelling but spin towards the direction the clubhead is facing at the moment of impact.

The ball flies mostly in the direction the clubhead is facing. Not the direction it's moving.

Imagine Curt Schilling pitching a golf ball at an inclined plane. Does the ball bounce straight back the way it came? No, it bounces to the side the wall is angled, reflecting approximately like a ray of light off a mirror would. That's the same thing as the golf club hitting a ball, only with a different frame of reference. (Hit a golf ball off the back of a moving train whose speed matches your clubhead speed.) Golf balls aren't made of some magic retro-reflectively bouncing material -- and they never were.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The starting line of the ball is based on both the face angle and the path, but the face angle accounts for something like 85% of it. So if you hit a shot that starts down the middle of the fairway and curves right, your face was pointing down the fairway but your club path was traveling out-to-in, or over the top, or cutting across it to the left, or whatever other language people use.

The "old ballflight laws" conventional wisdom was the opposite but the rise of high speed cameras flipped those ideas on their heads.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Can someone describe the mechanics of what this guy is taking about? Specifically, the keep-your-elbow-tucked part. I have the same issue with my swing plane with my driver.

I had a horrible slice for years. I always just played it off the tee because trying to fix it was killing my score. One day I played a round with the club pro and asked him to watch my swing. He had me tee up about 3 balls and watched. Low and behold, I had an outside - in swing. When I asked him how to solve it, he simply said, "slow down and keep your right elbow tucked". I am right handed by the way. As it turns out, it fixed my slice. I still slice every now and then when I am not paying attention, but if I concentrate on not letting my right elbow "fly", then I typically hit the ball straight.
People are unathletic and swing a golf club like they're chopping wood.

Don't chop wood.