Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not Alex posted:

Posting from the past: why are more goons not freaking out about the obviously brain wormed senator? The one that controls all the martian secret police. Like he's totally serving the extradimensional horrors and people are all "haha silly space illuminati and their wacky hijinks."

Spies gonna spy.

For Mars of course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Not Alex posted:

Posting from the past: why are more goons not freaking out about the obviously brain wormed senator? The one that controls all the martian secret police. Like he's totally serving the extradimensional horrors and people are all "haha silly space illuminati and their wacky hijinks."

I'm honestly not so sure he's brainwormed, or not as brainwormed as the rest. Going back and re-reading that excerpt, I'm pretty sure Warcrimes is working against the Space Illuminati from the inside. The key line that did it for me is that Harris goes "hrm yes oh well what an unfortunate coincidence" when the Triumvir mentions that the Pluto convoy got jumped by us. The only reason we knew about the Pluto convoy was a tip from the SB. Harris could've stopped us from finding out at any time if he wanted to, but he didn't. The Space Illuminati wants Facility vaporized for some reason, and Harris kept it safe instead. Something's going on here, I wouldn't write him off entirely just yet.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Again, kind of regretting our choice not to be Special Branch with the second act.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Whatever we did with SB could hardly have turned out better than Saturn. And we would probably have all just got brainwashed.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

HiHo ChiRho posted:

No. Do not freely offer information to Putin or UT. When we have the system in our JP settled a bit with infrastructure, a fleet and some defenses we can announce the existence of aliens.

What do they know about it so far? That the IC took over S-T and were to be claiming Pluto. Our story can bounce off of what the UT already knows, that the IC were there, and trying to set up an experimental weapons facility or something there. That is what they are seeing on Pluto and what caused the weird readings they collected.

So what if we lie? It will be payback to the UT who wanted a base "somewhere around Saturn" and decided to plop Space Guantanamo right next to Titan.

I feel like the more people know about the threat on our doorstep, the better. :shrug:
On the other hand, I see your point. If a hostile fleet breaks through into Sol, UT would be forced to cooperate with us at that point anyhow. They've already signed that mutual defense pact, haven't they? They can complain about how we didn't tell them about the imminent threat AFTER it is taken care of (if we can take care of it)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Please do not give Literally Putin an ounce more information than we have to, tia

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

Please do not give Literally Putin an ounce more information than we have to, tia

He's a shitbag, yeah, but he's also the commander in chief of the most powerful human military, and it's probably a good idea to let him know there's Bad poo poo lurking out there so less people get eaten by Elder Things.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Friend Commuter posted:

He's a shitbag, yeah, but he's also the commander in chief of the most powerful human military, and it's probably a good idea to let him know there's Bad poo poo lurking out there so less people get eaten by Elder Things.

I think everyone gets that we will have to announce at some point, but we shouldn't do it NOW. Let's make the most of the resources that we were given to MATCH the UT in military before we blow the lid on poo poo. We're basically sitting on a bunch of tech that's not out on ships between the IC and the Facility, not to mention whats in the ruins of that planet. We're probably not going to match them in size but were sure as poo poo going to have better ships.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Let's be careful about throwing around accusations about who's been brainwormed. I'd hate for certain Martian officials and officers to be accused of brainworm just because they work for a shady agency, or just because they may have considered defecting to an alien species/coalition of species at some point :tinfoil:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

and when things get tough people immediatly turn on our voluntarily brainwormed comrads, shameful

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Brainworms are workers too. We should free them from their gribbly overlords and have them join the Revolution!

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Agean90 posted:

and when things get tough people immediatly turn on our voluntarily brainwormed comrads, shameful

Personally I think nerve stapling them if they get out of hand is a perfectly reasonable option to have in our hand. It's not like anyone has ever complained about having more compliant drones brainwormed comrades.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The only way to be absolutely certain someone isn't brainwormed is through exploratory surgery, or if they have accused someone else of being brainwormed.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
You know who I think might be brainwormed? The Fleet Archon. I think we should elect a new Interim Fleet Archon whose responsibilities will include:

1) Determining whether the previous Fleet Archon is brainwormed or otherwise unfit for Archonship of the Fleet
2) All duties of the office of Fleet Archon, probably definitely forever

I nominate myself for this position.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

mcclay posted:

Brainworms are workers too. We should free them from their gribbly overlords and have them join the Revolution!

I think we're assuming a bit too much by preemptively labeling Azathoth a capitalist oppressor. For all we know the first words out of its thousand mouths could be the opening verse of the soviet national anthem.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

You know who I think might be brainwormed? The Fleet Archon. I think we should elect a new Interim Fleet Archon whose responsibilities will include:

1) Determining whether the previous Fleet Archon is brainwormed or otherwise unfit for Archonship of the Fleet

How do we know you're not brainwormed?

I nominate myself. As I am dead, there's no possibility that I am brainwormed.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cathode Raymond posted:

I will nominate myself for this hypothetical position, on the grounds that I know that I am not brainwormed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I second Cathode for Interim Fleet Archon

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Pah, imperialists and oppressors, all of you. The people do not need another leader. We should overthrow the Fleet Archon and operate the military collectively!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Put down the space weed, everybody, those cosmic blunts are making you paranoid.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I think we're assuming a bit too much by preemptively labeling Azathoth a capitalist oppressor. For all we know the first words out of its thousand mouths could be the opening verse of the soviet national anthem.

The Soviets where authoritarian dictators friend. I rather he just sing the Internationale.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Although really, what is "sanity" but a bourgeois construct meant to exclude non-neurotypical comrades? Ushering in the end of the universe and destruction of all natural law at the hands of Azathoth could be seen as the ultimate and final liberation, when you really think about it....

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 13, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No gods, no masters. Not even the laws of nature can bind us anymore. Bring the Night.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Put down the space weed, everybody, those cosmic blunts are making you paranoid.

Werd.

Let's get back to the discussion of how we are going to exploit this god-like gift that's been dropped into our laps.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
On one hand Mars could have really benefit from all these secret techs.

On the other we kinda sorta have a common enemy.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Nitis posted:

Werd.

Let's get back to the discussion of how we are going to exploit this god-like gift that's been dropped into our laps.

Poorly.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
This tangent is really starting to make my head hurt. Can't we just resume our gradual takover of the system yet?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nitis posted:

Werd.

I suggest when we start sending teams of scientists and crates of equipment we make everyone wear hard hats & paint little pickaxes on all the crates.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I suggest we hand control of all the computer systems at the research and control stations on the new planet over to one sleazy fat guy who will totally not get killed while trying to betray us.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazyeyes24 posted:

This tangent is really starting to make my head hurt. Can't we just resume our gradual takover of the system yet?

You know what else might be making your head hurt? Brainworms!

But seriously in the near term we should

1). Survey the new system for jump points and TNE's before we plan exactly how to utilize it
2). Start thinking about ship designs for the next generation of ships (i.e., jump capable fleets)
3). Don't say a GODDAM thing to Putin. Putin is still our biggest threat. When tentacles start flailing out of the UT jump point, THEN we will happily* come to his** aid.

*begrudgingly
**maybe we should kill Putin if Void Monster invasion presents us with the opportunity

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Scientists in power armor with a crowbar. Do the science right.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zaodai posted:

I suggest we hand control of all the computer systems at the research and control stations on the new planet over to one sleazy fat guy who will totally not get killed while trying to betray us.

Better do a psychological screening before sending anyone else through the what-hole to make sure that anyone who causes a disaster is at least competent enough to do it in a useful way instead of some wimp who will take the first "but I could be rich/omnipotent" temptation they encounter. We want someone who will at least design a machine to Summon Horrible Things before they get themselves reduced to pink sludge. Just think of how much we could accomplish if we send in the right mad scientist. Maybe the aliens will leave us alone if we feed them Earth? Worth a shot!

This plan cannot possibly result in unforeseen consequences...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

14 May, 1645hrs

The Tangaroa crashes her way back into realspace with shrieks emanating from both the crew and the ship. The crew mostly fall insensate or unconcious across their stations but six (of sixty-six crew) are siezed by horifying siezures and convulsions and some injure themselves badly as they thrash against their restraints. The jump drive disintegrates explosively as the rotating stabilisers come apart, thankfully only a single fatality occurs as a section of a stabiliser strikes an engineering rating.

After five minutes of no response Cryo dispatches a boarding party from Victory who discover the crew unconcious to a man and attempt to patch what injuries they can. Fifteen minutes later the crew of the Tangaroa start to come around, all remember an unpleasant transit that knocked them out and report neurological symptoms like headaches and shakes. The worst affected (including the captain) remember terrifying visions from the transit but none can seem to agree on the details. One claims to have seen God, another that he saw the (literal biblical) apocalypse arrive and Veolxyl remains silent about his experiences. All they can agree on is there is no way they are prepared to try another transit until someone has some answers about what has just transpired.

After a transfer of some backup crew and medical personel from the recently arrived support ship Helping Hand the decision is made to have the the ship return to Mars so the incident can be properly asessed. Victory opts to stay to keep watch over the jump point until a proper force can be assembled and relieve her. Mars is a long 8 days away for the shaken crew.

The news from the Tangaroa's closer inspection of the fifth planet stirs even more frenetic activity in the shipyards. Such an impossibly valuble find means every effort is made to get the first generation of jump-capabe survey ships prepared as soon as possible.

16 May 2052

Salvage of a Bill Gates from the Battle of Triton is completed and more tech goodies are found in the wreckage.

18 May 2052

Concordia completes repair at Triton.

Scrapping begins on a Marissa Mayer.

20 May 2052

The first set of proper survey ships rolls off the shipyards after breakneck work for nearly six weeks and heads for the jump point eager to plumb the depths of the new system.

The two frigates remaining of Triton fleet, since retired to Mars and having had some R&R volunteer to accompany them as the other destroyer classes are considered too short legged.

Another four are immediately laid down using prefabricated components. At the same time design work completes on a remarkable and huge piece of engineering. An experimental ship that according to schematics and equations provided by the facility information dump will be able to stabilise jump points via constructing an exotic matter scaffolding across the section of disturbed space allowing any ship to utilise it's normal drive field to transit between the stars.

code:
Tangaroa class Survey Ship    3,000 tons     84 Crew     645 BP      TCS 60  TH 80  EM 0
2666 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/32/2/2     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 3.5 Years     MSP 202    AFR 48%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 25    5YR 380    Max Repair 150 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 4    

Mars Navy J3000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 3000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
LR Outsystem 80 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (2)    Power 80    Fuel Use 54%    Signature 40    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 27.8 billion km   (120 days at full power)

Groundscan Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 8     Range 880k km    MCR 96k km    Resolution 1
Mao-Kowalski Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
Mao-Kowalski EM Detection Sensor EM4-32 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 32     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  32m km
Improved Gravitational Sensors (1)   2 Survey Points Per Hour
Improved Geological Sensors (1)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
The Tangaroa class represents a refinement on the original design and the pinnacle of Martian naval technology. Equipped with a wide variety of sensors and a jump drive capable of transporting ships up to 3000 tons her sleek appearance belies the internal chaos caused by a hasty design and procurement process. The cause of the prototype's jump issues has not yet been uncovered but Fleet command is hopeful that fewer jumps in short order and the more refined engine will avoid any issues.

code:
Ka Kahupapa class Construction Ship    93,000 tons     474 Crew     2659 BP      TCS 1860  TH 2800  EM 0
1505 km/s     Armour 1-182     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/8/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 18    Max Repair 50 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 0    
Jump Gate Construction Ship: 120 days

Mariner 200 EP Commercial Nuclear Pulse Engine (14)    Power 200    Fuel Use 6.19%    Signature 200    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 15.6 billion km   (120 days at full power)

Mao-Kowalski Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
Mao-Kowalski EM Detection Sensor EM1-8 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Ka Kahupapa is an experimental testbed for the concept of stabilising jump points via exotic matter scaffolding. A nationalised superfreighter has had her cargo bays torn out and an enormous, poorly understood and hastily constructed, appliance, installed along her length.

21 May 2052

Exploration continues of the Pluto ruins with a fresh shipload of Martian scientists having recently arrived. No response has yet been made to the enquiry about Pluto from the armistice conference. The new teams are reporting that since the 14th there has been activity within the base, power surges are frequent, strange emissions appear and disappear and sections appear to have resealed themselves after being previously mapped including the section which appeared to contain a stockpile of missiles and drones. Col. Autoshades is requesting permission to try force passage back to that section so examples of the probable alien weaponry can be obtained.

Finally three more ships of the 'Endeavour' class (UT designation unknown) that Intel has flagged as likely jump scouts or survey ships are spotted departing Luna along a vector for the Terran Jump point with three destroyers and a Luxembourg class support vessel as escort. This makes a minimum six confirmed and possibly more unaccounted for.

The race for the stars is heating up but Terra has given no indication of knowing Mars has developed jump technology...

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 14, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wait, we just had a whole crew mind raped in transit, when we already know there are tentacle monsters from our incident at Pluto, and we sent those affected people TO OUR CAPITAL?

Oh man are we some stupid fucks. :tinfoil:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Don't let Autoshades do his little breaking and entering stunt, the last thing we need is a pissed off or even more damaged Facility right now. That AI is probably the only thing left in the universe that can tell us just what the gently caress is going on, please don't break it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Well, we might be able to find some things out from the ruins, but that means going through wherever jump points go again, which may not be the best idea right now. I'm not sure whether or not the UT finding out about the horrible space monster by trying to jump a whole bunch of ships is possible, or if it's only repeated uses of the jump point that caught it's attention.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Grizzwold posted:

Well, we might be able to find some things out from the ruins, but that means going through wherever jump points go again, which may not be the best idea right now. I'm not sure whether or not the UT finding out about the horrible space monster by trying to jump a whole bunch of ships is possible, or if it's only repeated uses of the jump point that caught it's attention.

It may also have had something to do with the fact that we slapped a half-functional drive into a damaged ship to begin with.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Maybe! I missed that part. :downs:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Zaodai posted:

Wait, we just had a whole crew mind raped in transit, when we already know there are tentacle monsters from our incident at Pluto, and we sent those affected people TO OUR CAPITAL?

Oh man are we some stupid fucks. :tinfoil:

You had a crew experience a psychological event after multiple jumps in quick succession which coincided with a physical failure of the jump drive. Right now commands priority is to recall them to figure out wtf.

If you want to change anything going on like sending the survey ships to map sols jump points instead of exploring the new system or quaranting people exposed to jumpspace feel free to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Real lowest bidder job on that jump drive there.

We should really put a pharmaceutical-style black box warning on those things until we can be sure we've ironed all the kinks out.