Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

PST posted:

Anyone have a link to roberts saying that development started in 2011? It used to be in their own wikia but that's been edited.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121021232822/http://themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts

quote:

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

that things begin to get stale quote is ageing like a fine wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is the old reference from the wiki page: http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-preview-the-open-world-space-sim-of-our-dreams/

From October 2012

quote:

The creator of Wing Commander, who recently returned to game development after spending some time in film production, was in talks to bring his acclaimed series back on EA's dime. Instead, he spent a year producing a prototype of Star Citizen: a multiplayer, persistent-universe space combat sim with monstrous ambition and no publisher support.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yeah it stupid af but I'm kinda numb to these figures now. Someone (eightace or theagent?) mentioned that they knew of a whale who was in for six figures.

:suicide:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
That RobCoxy guy is desperately spinning the 'development started in 2013' line and just ignoring all the things that say 2011. Apparently it doesn't count because blah blah blah cognitive dissonance.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

2011-2013/14/15 they were staffing up. What were those staff members doing during that time while no work was going on? Let's not dwell on it.

Though seeing as how the game has progressed perhaps they really were just sat around doing nothing all that time.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
As per people who've left, there's actually a good argument that development did only start 3-9 months ago, because in that time Roberts will have revamped nearly everything, wanted everything changed, and ordered more mocap shooting, again, for the 17th time. But that's another bitter pill for them to swallow because he is the one true god.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Bofast posted:

And here I thought maybe you just meant we should bury the page in the Nevada desert, like Atari buried copies of E.T. in some landfill back in the day.

Semi urban myth. Atari buried a load of stuff, including hardware and a ton of other games. It was a plain old overstock/oldstock dump. There's a very good doc called Game Over that tells the story.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 14, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

2011-2013/14/15 they were staffing up. What were those staff members doing during that time while no work was going on? Let's not dwell on it.

Though seeing as how the game has progressed perhaps they really were just sat around doing nothing all that time.

Seeing how the game has progressed, having <20 staff has been better for them tbh. Hangar release was just under 2 weeks after the initial deadline.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

PST posted:

As per people who've left, there's actually a good argument that development did only start 3-9 months ago, because in that time Roberts will have revamped nearly everything, wanted everything changed, and ordered more mocap shooting, again, for the 17th time. But that's another bitter pill for them to swallow because he is the one true god.

If you think about it, real development of Star Citizen hasn't even started yet.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

In other news, warframe is doing a big dev stream today showing off it's openworld tech. If these tiny studios keep poking CIG in the eyes like this, the company is going to be blinder than Ben.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I wonder what's been going on with the early backers on kickstarter

quote:

Arrakisdef 3 days ago
I apologize for not being able to post anything for a while. This project is a scam. Please anyone seeing this, do not fund it anymore.

SavageHenry on August 26
that was tragic

SavageHenry on August 24
i can't even laugh at this trainwreck anymore
their display at gamescom is beyond embarrassing

Anthony Marsicano on August 8
150 million dollar scam

Anthony Marsicano on August 8
"game is not going to be pay to win" what a joke cant believe I backed this
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

PST
Jul 5, 2012

AP posted:

If you think about it, real development of Star Citizen hasn't even started yet.

:aaaaa:

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

AP posted:

Some heavy truthbombs here.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174655864?t=02h32m48s

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

biglads posted:

Stop spreading FUD you goonie cuntiflas. Everyone knows real development only started a couple of months ago at most. The first 5 years were all about building the company. Don't you know anything about game development?

LOL EXACTLY!!!

Everyone knows that Blizzard fires all their staff at the closing of every project and rehires and builds the team for the first 5-7 years before they ever start development on their next title. That's why it takes so long for their games

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

StarbloodKiss posted:

You'd be surprised. Some people are just really charismatic. There was this guy named Buzzcutpsycho on Planetside\Planetside 2 who had a legion of followers. He reminded me of Mancow (the radio guy).

I would look around the SC forums and see if theres any orgs announcing their disassociation with SC and go from there. It shouldn't be too hard to pin down though if its that large.

buzzcutpsycho was also goon enemy #1 in planetside because he was a racist sexist tryhard sperglord

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

one of the replies in the $45K Sperg Whale refund

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Reminder that Star Citizens believe having development studios spread throughout the world is more efficient because they can use timezones to work 24 hours a day instead of 8 hours a day like a company based in a single country.

This sounds like a joke. It's not a joke.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Reminder that Star Citizens believe having development studios spread throughout the world is more efficient because they can use timezones to work 24 hours a day instead of 8 hours a day like a company based in a single country.

when you business is designed to sell JPEGS and just create shows to deceive those spergs then that is considered efficient because you need 24/7 support to cuddle and reassure those spergs that their dream game will still come

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

You don't need that foreign poo poo when you have jam.

Edit: http://www.pcgamer.com/eve-online-alliance-leader-permanently-banned-after-threatening-to-cut-off-another-players-hands/

:stare:

"The dust hasn't settled, but reports indicate that The Judge personally stole over a trillion ISK (EVE's in-game currency) worth of alliance ships, modules, and more. But the real kicker is that he's left CO2's players with nowhere to call home, handing their space stations over to CO2's rivals, TEST and Goonswarm. Right now, thousands of CO2 pilots are stranded in space and attempting to evacuate with whatever they can. Meanwhile, CO2's pride and joy, a Keepstar citadel that's best thought of like EVE's version of a Death Star, is under siege."
-- Goonfear leads to mutilation threat.

What's a trillion worth on the open market these days?

Wow, that's quite the catch :eyepop:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Dear streamer goons, stream Seiken Densetsu on Gameboy. It's so loving good, and the soundtrack is so amazing. I would love to do it, but I'm no native english speaker :/

People who never experienced it need to see it. It's so much better than Star Citizen

I'm no native speaker, either, but you could always view it as an opportunity to practise?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

tooterfish posted:

That's how time zones work. I'm in Australia, so I'm in USA's future.

Star Citizen is still not out, by the way

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

tooterfish posted:

While a neat idea in todays cheap communications and telepresence world, numerous white papers and studies have found that if you want any pay off from running multiple office in different time zone, you need every team involved to have high experience and excellent management on site.

Otherwise time lost in "waiting for the other studio opinion tonight" situation eat any benefit in productivity and in worst case scenarios you get catastrophic results like the mars probe than decided to crash instead of land into the red planet because one office was using imperials units and the other metric.

Think team CIG can pull it off ? The only office getting any real work done is probably the one Crobbler is close too at that ime while the others simply truddle along on autopilot.

Even if the game release in any form it wont be sustainable long term, faced with the crushing challenge of balancing 160M of assets already in the economy agaist the new players experience.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think you guys have been staring into the brown sea too long, you caught the retarded.

200 people in America and 200 people in Australia won't magically get more work done than 400 people in America because of timezones.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

hot balls man no homo posted:

"Your_gonna_miss_this_putt is now following you"

***AIR HORN!*** HAS JUST SUBSCRIBED!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

Tarkaroshe is one of the prime examples of why I want star citizen to fail like no game has failed before.

I would prefer if it comes out just long enough for Tarkaroshe and the like to realize just how stupid, broken and boring the whole thing is, then fail. The guy could use a serious wake-up call and at least a video game failing won't be dangerous like some other wake-up calls that people get.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

aleksendr posted:

Think team CIG can pull it off ? The only office getting any real work done is probably the one Crobbler is close too at that ime while the others simply truddle along on autopilot.

Agreed. Chris Roberts is the only one who could pull it off, but alas he is only one man. Albeit a man from whom competence oozes to the degree that an entire game studio can be inspired by his mere presence, but is it enough? Time will tell.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

I think you guys have been staring into the brown sea too long, you caught the retarded.

200 people in America and 200 people in Australia won't magically get more work done than 400 people in America because of timezones.

There is also this insane concept of night shifts, like you can have people in the day then at night at the same place or something, I dunno, it's like voodoo to me

Night cattes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzsgCp60YU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Call centres, especially the support ones, famously don't employ people all in the same country, due to the lack of coverage during the night. Ideally, a company would hire many "foreign" employees and set up offices on the opposite side of the globe to maximize output. This is why, when calling your local telecom company in the United States, you are redirected to a nice person with a heavy accent who claims they are from New Delhi, wherever that is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

aleksendr posted:

While a neat idea in todays cheap communications and telepresence world, numerous white papers and studies have found that if you want any pay off from running multiple office in different time zone, you need every team involved to have high experience and excellent management on site.

Otherwise time lost in "waiting for the other studio opinion tonight" situation eat any benefit in productivity and in worst case scenarios you get catastrophic results like the mars probe than decided to crash instead of land into the red planet because one office was using imperials units and the other metric.

The whole idea also assumes that the actual work can be continuous and that the workers are fungible. This works for for some businesses — financial services or some type of research for instance. “Keep selling stock X” or “keep track of FCOJ prices” or “keep tracking signals from HIP 63835” or the aforementioned “have you tried turning it off and on again?” can be done at any hour of the day, and the next guy just keeps going where the last one stopped. It doesn't really work for a thought process, and that's pretty much what all development and artistry is.

It assumes a process of “while X is sleeping, Y can keep coding or designing feature ß; while Y is sleeping, X can do the same”. But what's actually happening is “while X is sleeping, Y is working feature ß; while Y is sleeping, X is working on feature α”. There is no continuity between the two that can or need to be maintained. There is no gain between that and having X and Y work on α and ß respectively during the exact same stretch of time.

So even if CIG could pull off the coordination required for proper continuity, the nature of their business has no continuity to coordinate to begin with. Sure, you could get some minor benefits from scheduling hand-offs between teams in such a way that they get exactly what they need for their part of the process just as they get to the office, but that just amounts to a couple of hours once a month, rather than the 3× increase in productivity that a 24h-chain is meant to provide over regular office hours. Once we add in the coordination costs, that benefit is pretty much instantly lost anyway and even that hypothetical ideal 3× increase will have been reduced to maybe 2×.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why are we even entertaining the thought that somehow CIG are working hard around the clock lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This would easily be my guild in Star Citizen if it ever became more than a dream.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Why are we even entertaining the thought that somehow CIG are working hard around the clock lol

Surely they are doing something... right?

right?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Committees and corporate cards for a loving video game jfc

Some MMOs economy are worth more than 3rd world nation GDP.

A serious guild with dedicated players could credibly make bank if they invest time in a successfull game. I used to sold EQ items on the web, getting paid by western union money transfer and while not getting rich, it did pay for some fun stuff, beer and rig upgrades. I have no doubt some people with a lot of free time and decent rigs could band up and try to make money on the top games allowing for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Surely they are doing something... right?

right?

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:( but Chris told me they were, why would He, the man in charge of this project which has raised 158 million dollars, vowed to treat me like a publisher, and refuses to let me look into their financial reports to see what their fiscal responsibility is like, lie to me? ME, of all people!