Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kragger99 posted:

I see The Division has another free weekend/sale. Are the DLC's worth it at all? The Survival seems to have a very positive review, but the other 2 look very negative.
Also, do the skins in the DLC's also unlock as you play? Or are they only available via purchase?

Survival is by far the best, the added game mode could practically be a standalone product. Not sure how the population is for it since it's multiplayer but you can still play with lower player counts, it just makes it easier.

I like Underground a lot, it's randomized dungeons and missions where you can up the payouts by taking on additional challenges. A lot of it has to be unlocked though so you'll only get the most out of it if you play it a lot. It can get a little repetitive once you see most of the room and enemy permutations, but no more so than the rest of the game if you ask me.

Last Stand is garbage and becomes even more so whenever there's a PvP exploit. If you're going to get Underground and Survival anyway you might as well get the season pass for the skins too (they're purchase only), otherwise just get the one that sounds good to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

RIVE
Neon Chrome
???

Shadow of Mordor
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Oxenfree

???
Beat Cop

Beat Cop I don't remember if I've heard anything about one way or another.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Hollow Knight is really fun!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

Hollow Knight is really fun!

It's great stuff, even if the Trial of the Fool is kicking my rear end :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really expected to love Hollow Knight but just found it kind of boring instead. :(

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

Just a friendly reminder to blow out your case/power supply/GPU, to help prevent overheating/meltdown, and run TIKIone Steamcleaner to free up some space.

Oh hey, I didn't know about this Steam cleaner thing! Thanks! :cheers:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kragger99 posted:

and run TIKIone Steamcleaner to free up some space.

Whats this? Never heard of it

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Whats this? Never heard of it

It's in the OP under Useful Websites & Apps (including a link for download). It's a great little tool that saved me another 2.5 GB today:

TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of all the redistributable packages that Steam likes to download. Save a few gigabytes, the quick and easy way. Now works with Origin and GOG's Galaxy client.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 14, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I thought SpecOps kind of stumbled in that regard too, in that you're lambasted about how you could have stopped anytime mannnn except you weren't actually given the option to stop in the story, except by turning off the game which you can do to 100% of all other games so what point are you trying to make. At least Far Cry 4 gave you a proper out if you just waited 15 minutes, which I thought was pretty cool.

My favorite thing about this is that they actually had a bunch of different endings and there was a button in the pause screen that was basically "exit site and report to CO" and people would pick that after about 15 minutes consistently in playtesting and then bitch about how short the game was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kragger99 posted:

It's in the OP under Useful Websites & Apps (including a link for download). It's a great little tool that saved me another 2.5 GB today:

TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of all the redistributable packages that Steam likes to download. Save a few gigabytes, the quick and easy way. Now works with Origin and GOG's Galaxy client.

Looks cool but apparently requires java, which I refuse to install.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kragger99 posted:

Hot drat cleared up 1.5 gb for me today, thanks!

Cojawfee posted:

There was a java free download I saw. Also, why?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sininu posted:

I think I'll go with this suggestion.

You guys are joking about lights and sleeping, but I want to remind everyone to https://justgetflux.com because it really does help you sleep better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
alternatively you know what else helps you sleep better http://getweed.com

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Is this a joke or do you legitimately run literally nothing but what, .net programs

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

The White Dragon posted:

alternatively you know what else helps you sleep better http://getweed.com

Pls don't flaunt your weed privilege, some of us live in countries that still consider Reefer Madness a documentary.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Why doesn't Dark Souls 1 go on sale anymore?

Dark Souls 2 & 3 are on sale right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Digirat posted:

Is this a joke or do you legitimately run literally nothing but what, .net programs

It's not a joke. I got sick of java security problems and it popping up every single day saying I needed to install a new version.I uninstalled it and have not needed it for absolutely anything until this steam cleaner thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Because it's gone on sale for $5 nine trillion times and everyone on Earth owns it by now. Except you, somehow.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

OhFunny posted:

I was wondering about the same thing during Steam Summer sale, no place had it on discounted for whatever reason. Turns out last time it had any kind of discount was in February:

Weird.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Orv posted:

Because it's gone on sale for $5 nine trillion times and everyone on Earth owns it by now. Except you, somehow.

:shrug:

Sininu posted:

I was wondering about the same thing during Steam Summer sale, no place had it on discounted for whatever reason. Turns out last time it had any kind of discount was in February:

Weird.

It's very strange. The entire Bandai Namco catalog is on sale right. Except for Dark Souls 1.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly that is pretty weird. Maybe some kind of weird thing with the switch over from GFWL and them not wanting to officially support it anymore?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Orv posted:

Honestly that is pretty weird. Maybe some kind of weird thing with the switch over from GFWL and them not wanting to officially support it anymore?

They switched from GFWL to Steamworks in December 2014, I highly doubt it has anything to do with that.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe they're planning some kind of remaster or something? I could see them not wanting people to buy the original version cheap if that's the case.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digirat posted:

There's really not a whole lot of reason for home users to have Java installed and if you have it installed you should probably uninstall it because it is garbage.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Minecraft though

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

just the first few hours of divinity original sin 2 are blowing me away - if they can keep up this level of reactivity to your race/traits; this game'll have an absolutely insane amount of replay value

the writing is also a whole lot better than the first game. i actually care about these characters and what's going on! voice acting is v. competent as well

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe .hack//GU is coming to steam, much less a remaster with some new content. It's kind of quaint remembering the era of MMORPGs this is going to call back to.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

E: wrong thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crabtree posted:

I can't believe .hack//GU is coming to steam, much less a remaster with some new content. It's kind of quaint remembering the era of MMORPGs this is going to call back to.
I wonder if they'll do the original series at some point too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder if they'll do the original series at some point too.

Maybe if .GU sells well, but they'd probably have to really rework the first tetralogy as .GU is a big improvement from both technical and gameplay standpoints. I just hope that this lets CyberConnect2 make something other than that anime they're thinking about and more Ninja Storm as those people really know how to make good combat.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 14, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Keep in mind that if you download a game but don't run it for the first time, SteamCleaner will likely delete all the installation files and you'll have to download it all again. I won't make that mistake a second time!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Crabtree posted:

On the one hand, I can finally get it and finish the trilogy. I played the first two and half of the third and walked away for some reason despite having fun.

On the other hand, I get to play through Haseo being an idiot again.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cook Serve Delicious 2 is unfortunately quite disappointing... the actual cooking is a little more complex now since you have holding stations where you can prep side dishes for bonus points and/or meat for burgers and stuff, but everything else about the experience seems diminished. You're mostly bouncing between a variety of different restaurants now, completing missions using preset menus, instead of focusing on your own restaurant where you set the menu every day. You unlock a ton of decorations to use in your restaurant every time you finish a mission, but with no real sense of progression (no restaurant upgrades, no unlocking recipe variants), there's just not really a reason to play using your own restaurant. No more funny emails either.

A lot of the interactive feel of the chores/recipes has been removed too, since you don't use the arrow keys for anything anymore. No more tapping left/right to scrub a dish, no more chopping ingredients for soup with the down arrow. Everything is now based on single-letter presses, and you're now required to press space to swap ingredient pages before you select the correct one.

It just feels a lot more sterile... the core gameplay loop of frantic keyboard mashing is still fun, but I just don't feel invested in it anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grapplejack posted:

My favorite thing about this is that they actually had a bunch of different endings and there was a button in the pause screen that was basically "exit site and report to CO" and people would pick that after about 15 minutes consistently in playtesting and then bitch about how short the game was.

I think it could have had more of a dramatic impact if they allowed the player to back out of the white phosphorous mission. That's a good ~3.5 hours into the game and kind of the point of no return as far as Walker's character arc goes. Even if it was an option there I don't think most people would take it, which would make a later revelation that you could have stood down more impactful. It's kind of the same way Lee doesn't have to kill the stranger at the end of TWD season 1, but the player is so amped up in the emotion of the scene that they don't bother to let go.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, I can finally get it and finish the trilogy. I played the first two and half of the third and walked away for some reason despite having fun.

On the other hand, I get to play through Haseo being an idiot again.

Its a Tetrology too now, GU Last Recode is getting a host of new features, including xp buffs, cheat modes, parody videos ala subsistence's extensive theater gallery, re-balanced and improved combat and avatar battles and a new fourth volume post story after the original ending of the game where Haseo tries to find Ovan before The World 2.0 is permanently shut down. This also includes a new fifth form.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dmboogie posted:

just the first few hours of divinity original sin 2 are blowing me away - if they can keep up this level of reactivity to your race/traits; this game'll have an absolutely insane amount of replay value

the writing is also a whole lot better than the first game. i actually care about these characters and what's going on! voice acting is v. competent as well

oh you think that's crazy.

if you go elf, you can eat the bodies of the dead and gain access to their memories. which can get you new quests, learn you new skills, and help you through current quests.

I NEVER KNEW THAT UNTIL I FOUND THE ELF NPC. no wonder elves aren't trusted.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ragequit posted:

Thanks for the heads up - I was hoping to finally give this game a shot. I've heard in the past that playing solo is easily doable. Are there any fun/ideal builds that will get me the most out of the free weekend?

You can pretty much do whatever and have a fun time going through the story missions and side content. I enjoyed hanging back with a glass cannon build and picking guys off with a marksman rifle while my turret ran interference, but I know plenty of folks are big into tough, close-range shotgun builds. You can change up your skills and loadout pretty much whenever, and the core stats are incredibly straightforward (gun damage, HP, ability damage), so you might as well experiment.

Orv posted:

If the microtransactions in the game aren't prohibitively balanced or intrusive it's an easy GOTY contender from what they've shown.

The game literally runs on a F2P-style two currency system. Of course I also just plain don't trust WB in the slightest to not run poo poo into the ground.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

I see The Division has another free weekend/sale. Are the DLC's worth it at all? The Survival seems to have a very positive review, but the other 2 look very negative.
Also, do the skins in the DLC's also unlock as you play? Or are they only available via purchase?

Survival is easily the best of the DLC's if you think you'd enjoy a 1-1.5 hour long survival loop with only a little bit of randomness. What I mean by that is while what's loot boxes/bags will change you'll always find those loot boxes/bags in the same place on the map so it can be easy to fall into a specific route depending on where you start on the outer edge of the map. The point there is that since you're in the game with up to 24 other people someone else might get there before you but these days you'll likely only get at most 7 other people so most of the map is empty and untouched. But I'm someone who loves that first few hours of an RPG where everything is still a challenge and even slightly better gear is like a gift from god so even with basically an encyclopedic knowledge of certain routes and an empty game I enjoy Survival a lot.

Underground is PVE as well and is basically what you play if you don't have time for a full mission. They are 5-20 minute long quasi random dungeons built from pre-existing rooms with a few unique hazards or optional modifiers to make things harder than "above ground."

Last Stand is entirely PVP focused and PVP in The Division is... divisive :v: There are a few painfully broken builds that can run through large groups of un-optimized players or keep groups of players alive a ridiculously long time despite constant damage. PC also has to deal with players being able to jig back and forth way too quickly due to keyboard controls so if you're shooting someone really good at that it can be literally impossible to kill them before you have to reload and they can heal everything you did. But I'm saying this as someone who never PVP's in RPG games so maybe you'd like it?

Ragequit posted:

Thanks for the heads up - I was hoping to finally give this game a shot. I've heard in the past that playing solo is easily doable. Are there any fun/ideal builds that will get me the most out of the free weekend?

Everything until the very hardest of the end-game content is indeed soloable (there are incursions, the equivalent of raids, that are scripted to require more than 1 person to complete). However unless you go really hard you're probably not going to get to a point where character builds actually matter unless you want to try the lower levels of the PVP Dark Zone (which is pointless because you go into the DZ to get better loot for your level or slightly above but you go back to the story missions and out level all that good loot in a matter of a few missions). One of Division's weaknesses can be that everything below the "end game" character is basically just there to entertain you until reach the end game. You can purposefully stop leveling a character and take that into the PVP DZ (experience outside and inside the DZ is separate) but if you're looking to play everything you have to level up. Until you're maxed out nothing lasts long enough to worry about. That end game is full of a good variety of builds though so if you reach that or buy the game pop into the Division thread and you'll get some builds.

exquisite tea posted:

I thought SpecOps kind of stumbled in that regard too, in that you're lambasted about how you could have stopped anytime mannnn except you weren't actually given the option to stop in the story, except by turning off the game which you can do to 100% of all other games so what point are you trying to make. At least Far Cry 4 gave you a proper out if you just waited 15 minutes, which I thought was pretty cool.

Saying Spec Ops "lambasts" you with that is kind of exaggerating because that line of thought only comes from an interview with the writer that happened well after the release of the game about a possible ending they were thinking of adding to the game at one point. Spec Ops wasn't really talking too much about player agency in the end but using aspects of it to ask you to think about what the entertainment you're consuming is saying and how it is saying it. It does utilize fairly heavy handed pokes at the player to emphasize this but there is nothing in the game that actually wants to player to stop playing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

If you decline a gift does the sender get notified? I got gifted a game that I already had.
Yes, I could ask him, but I won't bother with that until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

If you decline a gift does the sender get notified? I got gifted a game that I already had.
Yes, I could ask him, but I won't bother with that until tomorrow.

Yep, and they get refunded automatically.