Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Henchman of Santa posted:

I saw them in 2011 and they were still good then

Same I saw them twice that summer and it ruled. Especially when they opened for Rick Ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Has anyone here seen Death From Above live? Is it a good show?

I saw them in a small venue in 2015 and the concert ruled. It's one of my favourite shows I have ever attended.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

resident posted:

I had no idea we were this close to a new Cut Copy album. Two tracks in and I feel like this is the best they've sounded since In Ghost Colours.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550445276/first-listen-cut-copy-haiku-from-zero
Yeah also the new one Black Rainbow is pretty drat good. I had tickets to see them at Fox Theater in 2013 but I couldn't make it. They're playing again now in Nov so I might grab tickets and make it happen this year. I wasn't really super big on Free Your Mind or Zonoscope though and probably my favorites would still be In Ghost Colours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhh, so I just got out of seeing Modest Mouse for the second time and I was definitely not aware of what a wide variety of stuff they’ve been playing lately.

Get a load of this setlist:
Also congrats, that's a great setlist and has many of my favorite songs. I've been on an MM kick again since discovering they had a new album a few months ago and listening to a lot of their stuff (after not doing so for like 10years). I really have new appreciation for We Were Dead recently for some reason. Ground Walks and Sugarboats are def some of my favorites from the new album.

I missed their tour this time in my area, but I'd like to catch them live at some point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xaris posted:

Also congrats, that's a great setlist and has many of my favorite songs. I've been on an MM kick again since discovering they had a new album a few months ago and listening to a lot of their stuff (after not doing so for like 10years). I really have new appreciation for We Were Dead recently for some reason. Ground Walks and Sugarboats are def some of my favorites from the new album.

I missed their tour this time in my area, but I'd like to catch them live at some point.
They've been one of my all-time favorite bands for like 13 years now. And yeah, I gained a new appreciation for their newer stuff too. I never thought it was bad, just weaker than their older stuff. But a lot of it stacks right up their with their older stuff, just in different ways. Hell, like half of We Were Dead sounds like Ugly Casanova.

Pups to Dust is my favorite song on Strangers To Ourselves. It sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on Moon & Antarctica or Building Nothing Out Of Something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYo7jLbxYec

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yah so saw TV on the Radio tonight and goddamn. Their new songs sound so much better live. I hope they go on a proper tour soon

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Live At Five! posted:

Nothing beats sound of silver due to the one two punch of all my friends and someone great.

I don't know. That riff he totally ripped off from that Beach House song is pretty blatant and off-putting.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Loving El Goodo's By Order of the Moose, which came out a couple Fridays ago. Nothing terribly original, but it's very well executed and a must for anyone into some good ol' psychedelic 60s throwback tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq27wwtEkvg

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Arcade Fire in DC was sick. The arena was far from full and all nosebleed people were even upgraded to better lower level seats, but the production was so insane that it made it for the inferior newer tracks. Go see this.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Anonymous John posted:

Arcade Fire in DC was sick. The arena was far from full and all nosebleed people were even upgraded to better lower level seats, but the production was so insane that it made it for the inferior newer tracks. Go see this.

Co-sign. Saw them in DC and then in Philly the last two nights and they were fantastic. It's hilarious that the crowd completely dies when they play Infinite Content but that's a 2-minute wet fart in an otherwise excellent true arena rock show.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I am still in awe from seeing Sylvan Esso last night. Their vocals and visuals were outstanding.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

CRINDY posted:

It's hilarious that the crowd completely dies when they play Infinite Content but that's a 2-minute wet fart in an otherwise excellent true arena rock show.

I thought the visual for that at least made it bearable. The visuals were cool for sure and I liked the boxing introduction thing for coming out.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

T Bowl posted:

I thought the visual for that at least made it bearable. The visuals were cool for sure and I liked the boxing introduction thing for coming out.

The production was top notch front to back. Put Your Money On Me was stellar, I thought We Don't Deserve Love was beautiful, the boxing introduction was good, and when they got to the part of Reflektor that Bowie sang on, they flashed video of him playing an old concert on the screens for a split second. It's a shame the band isn't selling out this tour because it's honestly the strongest I've ever seen them play and I've seen them six times now.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
really enjoying the new Alvvays album a lot, this one is stuck in my head

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CmO1ogtC6-A

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Slandible posted:

I am still in awe from seeing Sylvan Esso last night. Their vocals and visuals were outstanding.

They're the number one band I want to see live right now. Months later I am still listening to What Now obsessively.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

They're the number one band I want to see live right now. Months later I am still listening to What Now obsessively.

I've been waiting three years since their first album, and this was the first time they ever came to Michigan. Amelia's voice live is one of the best I have ever experience, and their light board was incredible. Hey Mami was a religious experience .

Go see them if you can.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'll do that the next time they tour small islands in the South Pacific. :smith:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If your small South Pacific island is New Zealand, they're coming to Laneway 2018.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okinawa, actually. I may be moving to Germany next month though, which presumably will be way better for shows.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CRINDY posted:

The new Ted Leo album seems to be going under the radar, which is a goddamn shame. It's loose and dark and harder than he normally goes and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNMITLhtVE

Here's a deep dive from Stereogum in July that tells what's happened since The Brutalist Bricks. Short answer: debt after failed tour, wife's miscarriage and health issues, dropped from Matador, almost quit music entirely until Aimee Mann got him to do The Both, had to Kickstart the new record. I'm buying The Hanged Man when I get a chance.

https://www.stereogum.com/featured/ted-leo-is-like-you/

drat, that's some interview, in the past he's been pretty private about his personal life so it's weird/cool to see him open up so much. I've been a humongous fan of his since Hearts of Oak and I've probably seen him more than 20 times. The new album is pretty great overall. I saw him play in NYC a couple weeks ago and it was just as good a show as any I've seen him play. I'm glad he's back :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Slandible posted:

They're next week for me and I'm so stoked! The show is sold out.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Kramdar posted:

I don't know. That riff he totally ripped off from that Beach House song is pretty blatant and off-putting.

Wait what's this?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kramdar posted:

tbf he does that lot. "Losing My Edge" sounds lot like a Killing Joke song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwhZEFk5W4

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
To be fair, this person steals a lot.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's not really indie at all but: Charles Bradley died! Ffffuck! Dude was incredible, a true shining soul, RIP

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
emily haines new solo album dropped last week and is extremely good, in my opinion

ok thanks for listening :tipshat:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not really indie at all but: Charles Bradley died! Ffffuck! Dude was incredible, a true shining soul, RIP

Yeah its a real bummer, been spinning his records today.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Yup, saw him a few years back and missed the hug zone, and he was just here opening for some country singer. Uhhg super sad to see him go, but at least he got to live his dream in his final years. He payed his dues most of his life.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Fuuuck. He was so great live. I'm glad I forced my wife to go watch a few of his songs at Sasquatch this year before lining up for the LCD SS put.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, this new Wolf Alice track loving rules. I was a huge fan of their last album and this is great too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX7M9owRWQ

Actually should this go in the shoegaze/dream pop thread? Because that's kinda what it is.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Pablo Gigante posted:

drat, that's some interview, in the past he's been pretty private about his personal life so it's weird/cool to see him open up so much. I've been a humongous fan of his since Hearts of Oak and I've probably seen him more than 20 times. The new album is pretty great overall. I saw him play in NYC a couple weeks ago and it was just as good a show as any I've seen him play. I'm glad he's back :)

I heard a couple tracks off it on XMU a couple weeks back, thanks for the reminder to buy this album. Ted Leo was one of the sounds of my nascent political interest in high school. I hate to say that I didn't really enjoy The Both like I hoped I would. I'm glad he's getting back though.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

britishbornandbread posted:

Wait what's this?

You Wanted a Hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3G6L8doFcw

sounds like

Lover of Mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4jqub6Z_I

I confused my albums, it was a song on This is Happening. I've only given LCD albums a once-through listen and disregarded his stuff. But I remember listening to This is Happening and doing a double take.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://soundcloud.com/e-l-k-1/gulp-morning-velvet-sky

New Gulp. Produced by Luke Abbott. Sounds fuckin' great. RIYL: Broadcast, Stereolab, Jane Weaver, etc.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Anonymous John posted:

Does it matter where you sit? I'm probably going to go but how does the in-the-round affect being able to see everything?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

cptn_dr posted:

Julien Baker's released a new single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdBu21i9aEE

Can't wait to listen to her new album and cry a lot.

The car placement is weird and distracting.

I was at the final show of her last tour and I chickened out on shouting out Forrister requests when she ran out of songs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Xaris posted:

Yeah also the new one Black Rainbow is pretty drat good. I had tickets to see them at Fox Theater in 2013 but I couldn't make it. They're playing again now in Nov so I might grab tickets and make it happen this year. I wasn't really super big on Free Your Mind or Zonoscope though and probably my favorites would still be In Ghost Colours.

Album is great and is basically Ghost Colours 2. GD I thought they'd never make something close to that but I guess all that time off helped.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I was at the final show of her last tour and I chickened out on shouting out Forrister requests when she ran out of songs.

You made the right choice

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Pizza Club posted:

Does it matter where you sit [on the new Arcade Fire tour]? I'm probably going to go but how does the in-the-round affect being able to see everything?

If you have a seat you'll definitely see everything well, if anything you see less if you're on the floor at the very front.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Has anyone seen Feist on her Pleasures tour? Is someone opening or is it just her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

resident posted:

Has anyone seen Feist on her Pleasures tour? Is someone opening or is it just her?

No opening act; it's just her.