Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I must be out of practice because CSD!2!! is kicking my loving rear end. My first shift at Max Weiners kicked my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I feel bad for Drew Goddard, he's the guy who actually directed Cabin in the Woods and Whedon was just a co-writer on it but everyone just calls it a Whedon movie out of reputation. Sam with Max Landis getting all the credit for Josh Trank's Chronicle and Henry Sellick being the one who made Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.
Josh Trank got a lot of credit for Chronicle, its just that Fantastic Four did major damage to his reputation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played anything that's in this bundle? I'm kinda interested in it for KoDP and Dark Train, anything else in it worth playing? Tempest kinda looks like a modern take on classic Pirates!?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

New Concept Hole posted:

Borderlands: King of the Vault

As dumb as this sounds at first, it's honestly not a bad idea to cash in on.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Three quick questions...

1. Is there a thread for NBA 2K18, it comes out in a few days.

2. Why are all the steam reviews for it so salty? It's not even out yet?

3. I've never bought a NBA 2K game before, but I've been meaning to pick up the series and I figured this would be nice entry to jump in on because the three non-steam reviews on I read for it were all very positive. Is this a wrong assumption? Is the game as terrible as the Steam reviews are making it out to be? I can understand how long time players might be irked by certain things but as I first time player I'm guessing a lot their complaints would just go over my head.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 17, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Yep.. Sports game threads are in a SAS subforum.

-Blackadder- posted:

Pre-orders got the game four days early.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

-Blackadder- posted:

Three quick questions...

3. I've never bought a NBA 2K game before, but I've been meaning to pick up the series and I figured this would be nice entry to jump in on because the three non-steam reviews on I read for it were all very positive. Is this a wrong assumption? Is the game as terrible as the Steam reviews are making it out to be? I can understand how long time players might be irked by certain things but as I first time player I'm guessing a lot their complaints would just go over my head.

If you want a good entry into the NBA 2K series, I'd suggest either 2k13 for the best free form career mode starting from the NBA Draft and going on for as long as you like in an unscripted fashion (you can go maximum dick to your team and be a bigheaded twat in interviews), 2k15 for the best guided career (scripted kinda, fewer options for divergence, less of your own career). I've not played much 16, 17 or 18 though so I can't speak to their quality, though the one advertised as "A Spike Lee Joint" (forget which one) is total garbage, it names your character for you and tells his story form high school onwards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

-Blackadder- posted:

Three quick questions...

It came out a couple days ago for preorders, dude. And it is demonstrably worse than NBA2k17, yeah. Lots of stuff that was just part of the game before is now something you have to pay microtransactions or grind for. Basically they've turned the game from a basketball sim to a lovely pay-to-win mmo that you have to buy.

If you wanna play NBA just get 17, it's better. Or 15, I guess. Don't get 16 unless you want to watch a magnificently bad Spike Lee movie as you play basketball

e:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you want a good entry into the NBA 2K series, I'd suggest either 2k13 for the best free form career mode starting from the NBA Draft and going on for as long as you like in an unscripted fashion (you can go maximum dick to your team and be a bigheaded twat in interviews), 2k15 for the best guided career (scripted kinda, fewer options for divergence, less of your own career). I've not played much 16, 17 or 18 though so I can't speak to their quality, though the one advertised as "A Spike Lee Joint" (forget which one) is total garbage, it names your character for you and tells his story form high school onwards.

17 is pretty much an attempt to go back to how it worked in 15, but with more mocapped cutscenes thrown in. It's not as freeform, since the need to do that does limit it somewhat, but still works pretty well.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 17, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

Don't get 16 unless you want to watch a magnificently bad Spike Lee movie as you play basketball

wait what

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGJt-1cQMo

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

The (mandatory, unskippable) story for career mode (that you must play every time you start a new career) was co-authored by Spike Lee. A loving ghost shows up at the end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SPIKE LEE PRESENTS is still better than 18's career where you have to spend real money to buy a new haircut and you can't edit your character's appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds0bcZXI1tI

but yeah, for some reason it's tradition that even-numbered nba2k always sucks and you should never buy them

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Divinity: Original Sin II killing it on Steam right now, in 4th position with over 85,000 concurrent players. Good for Larian.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Dias posted:

Jolyne Joestar would be a great Batman.

that's not her name or age but yeah

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I must admit it's really amusing to walk into the 2K18 gym and see actual people doing e-workouts

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

that's not her name or age but yeah

Isn't she like not 21 and yeah Cujoh still a Joestar tho that was me posting too fast still make her Batman

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I should probably specify that my primary usage for 2K is basically just as a good Couch Co-Op Kickback/Party game to play with friends. I've never really gotten into sports games that much before (though I've never really put that much effort into trying them outside of playing a few games here and there at a friends place) so I don't really plan on going that deep on the MyVariousGameModes that I've read about. I did read somewhere that one of the new career modes is kind of like an open world adventure RPG so I might be able to get into that, but for the most part I'll probably just be sticking to whatever the normal vs co-op mode is, and maybe an exhibition or practice mode to get my skills up so I don't lose to literally everyone I play (which is what happens currently).

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 17, 2017

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I hope it works out for you, but people who play 2K literally play nothing but 2K. So even 'casual' 2K players will have hundreds of hours into the franchise when they show up at your house.

I tried the same thing. I got bored after 30 hours and I've never won a game against my 'casual' gamer friends.

EDIT: But you might be good enough to be better than the CPU if you're playing teams?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^ Interesting. That's good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.

I had honestly assumed differently because my circle of friends also plays Madden religiously but I'm able hold my own against them, and even win a few games, despite not having a clue what I'm doing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

-Blackadder- posted:

I should probably specify that my primary usage for 2K is basically just as a good Couch Co-Op Kickback/Party game to play with friends. I've never really gotten into sports games that much before (though I've never really put that much effort into trying them outside of playing a few games here and there at a friends place) so I don't really plan on going that deep on the MyVariousGameModes that I've read about. I did read somewhere that one of the new career modes is kind of like an open world adventure RPG so I might be able to get into that, but for the most part I'll probably just be sticking to whatever the normal vs co-op mode is, and maybe an exhibition or practice mode to get my skills up so I don't lose to literally everyone I play (which is what happens currently).

This is what I buy and play nba2k for, just another multiplayer game I can throw on when my more casual gamer friends come over. It's a good co-op couch game cause you can have like 3 crappy players on one team vs the one good player, or everyone on the same team vs the CPU. Or any other combination really.

The career mode is pretty fun too, though I heard '18 got really grindy so I'm going hold off on buying it at release this year.

Also if you care even a little about trying to general manager (where you run a franchise and build your own team) 2k's is really good and probably where I spend the most time.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 17, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Man I can't wait for the first developer to strike upon the brilliant idea of pubg but all of the characters are zombies

And then pubg but with ability cooldowns

And then finally someone will release a new MOBA and describe it as "pubg but with a cool new team objectives-based twist!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pubg with microtransactions :swoon:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Really Pants posted:

pubg with microtransactions :swoon:

... also known as just "pubg"

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

QuarkJets posted:

... also known as just "pubg"

How do you figure? More like... $.99 to start with a silencer this round!

Current crate system isn't micro transactions

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

uhhh

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Gambling isn't a microtransaction

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How do you figure? More like... $.99 to start with a silencer this round!

you're an idiot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You pay tiny amounts of money in exchange for in-game items, what do you call that in your native language? In English we call them microtransactions

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

You pay tiny amounts of money in exchange for in-game items, what do you call that in your native language? In English we call them microtransactions

I think their distinction is cosmetic purchases vs buying an advantage like gold shells in World of Tanks.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I think their distinction is cosmetic purchases vs buying an advantage like gold shells in World of Tanks.
Those are still both microtransactions. The difference you/they are describing is between cosmetics and "pay to win".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gold shells can be bought with ingame currency BTW, you don't need to spend actual money.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I enjoyed the IRC tonight, my friends! Thank you.
It has always been my favourite method of communication.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm sorry, I assumed PUBG had no microtransactions because it has managed to become popular

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I'm sorry, I assumed PUBG had no microtransactions because it has managed to become popular

They added microtransactions fairly recently iirc

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Really Pants posted:

QuarkJets posted:

They added microtransactions fairly recently iirc

I think these two events are related

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Really Pants posted:

I don't understand, the whole problem is that games with microtransactions are super popular and making money hand over fist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

isnt there a pre-release mtx set that sells for 1k or something dumb

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Killed By Death posted:

Those are still both microtransactions. The difference you/they are describing is between cosmetics and "pay to win".

I am aware. The post I made is essentially the same post that you made.

Darkrenown posted:

Gold shells can be bought with ingame currency BTW, you don't need to spend actual money.

That A: Wasn't the case way back when and B: is so prohibitively expensive with in-game currency, especially at higher tiers, that you basically need to pay for the advantage. gently caress World of Tanks, and gently caress the premium only planes in War Thunder, especially the really cool looking ones that you can't otherwise get.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I played one of the free weekends for NBA2k and failed all my tryouts and ended up on the shittiest team in the league, where we lost every game and the coach and all my teammates blamed me and shat on me before, during, and after every match. Probably the first gameplay experience I can describe as emasculating. I was young coach bombay but there was no mighty ducks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RentACop posted:

I played one of the free weekends for NBA2k and failed all my tryouts and ended up on the shittiest team in the league, where we lost every game and the coach and all my teammates blamed me and shat on me before, during, and after every match. Probably the first gameplay experience I can describe as emasculating. I was young coach bombay but there was no mighty ducks

in 18 that happens because they want you to buy higher stats for your guy