Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pr0craztinazn posted:

Rhyno: In the Mid-Atlantic area, no option FiSTs are maybe $1000 more expensive than the car you linked before taxes and tags if you're willing to bargain. If you qualify for 0% financing, payments would be pretty cheap.

I really want the recaros and a sunroof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone happen to use those drive safe programs through their insurance? I just installed mine today for State Farm. Get 5% off just for signing up, but they claim I can get discounted up to 50%. I assume thats for cars that never get driven. It's just a little gps device that talks to my phone via blutooth vs the OBDII devices other companies use. Wish they had told me about this poo poo last year when I quit my job. I've barely put 1500 miles on my car in a year.

I did it for my old Ranger when it first came out on Progressive, and saved 30% on it since I basically parked it for most of the time. But I don't think I'd save anything with them now so I don't use them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

This is only true if you compare a tuned gti to a stock R. The R has a different head and bigger turbo. Stage 1 is close to 400 hp on the R :)

Speaking of dumb amounts of horsepower. Anyone happen to use those drive safe programs through their insurance? I just installed mine today for State Farm. Get 5% off just for signing up, but they claim I can get discounted up to 50%. I assume thats for cars that never get driven. It's just a little gps device that talks to my phone via blutooth vs the OBDII devices other companies use. Wish they had told me about this poo poo last year when I quit my job. I've barely put 1500 miles on my car in a year.

The Golf-R turbo literally bolts on and is cheap. They sell the GTI motor with the Golf-R turbo outside the US.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

The Golf-R turbo literally bolts on and is cheap. They sell the GTI motor with the Golf-R turbo outside the US.

The AWD doesn't bolt on tho, and that was the main reason I bought the car.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Edit: So I'm probably jumping the gun since I haven't sold the MS6 yet but this one righter here checks all the boxes.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/709615646/overview/

Doooooo ittttt!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah progressive was 30% off if you dont brake (run redlights) and drive under 200 miles a week. It was only 6 months then permanent but i moved states and having to redo now. The 350z got garaged when i bought a veloster turbo specifically for ins. $1800 a year 350z vs $700 a year veloster turbo justifies tuning and what not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Doooooo ittttt!

I want a sunroof so this one is out. If I were to pull the trigger this week the best option is a black 2016 with Recaros and a sunroof. Like $15K.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

veedubfreak posted:

This is only true if you compare a tuned gti to a stock R. The R has a different head and bigger turbo. Stage 1 is close to 400 hp on the R :)

Well sure, I'm not trying to make a direct comparison between the two. I'm just coming at this from a "likes nice cars but it's not a hobby" kind of perspective.

I'm probably going to get a 2016 GTI SE (or Autobanh) with DSG and spring for the stage 1 upgrade. From my admittedly uneducated perspective, it seems that the value for dollar rests around that car setup. I'm open to getting the Golf R but many sources online say that it's not worth the premium.

That being said I think that most VW cars are a great deal right now. I follow international economics and the thing about Germany is that it benefits greatly from the Euro being undervalued. As an export powerhouse in the EU, Germany is able to sell cars that are tremendous value for money (while France and other EU consumption economies get poo poo on, but that's a topic for another day). It's one of the main reasons I'm getting a VW.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If I had it to do over, I'd have sat on my my 11 TDI until they bought it back. But at the time I had a good job and wanted an R. So I got double hosed because I traded in my TDI 6 weeks before the cheat scandal broke. I would have gotten 22k for my TDI on buy back instead of the 12k I got for trade in. And at the time I traded the car in for my R I still assumed I wasn't going to have to quit my job to keep from killing my boss. I don't regret buying my R, i just regret the timing I bought it.

Why is it such a loving pain in the rear end to copy a loving picture from my email to imgur.

This is what my stupid 58 bug is going to be painted in. Rattle can bright loving red, in the hopes that the standard texting suv whore doesn't mow me down.

Well poo poo, thought this was the VW thread.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 17, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: I too thought it was the VW thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

If I had it to do over, I'd have sat on my my 11 TDI until they bought it back. But at the time I had a good job and wanted an R. So I got double hosed because I traded in my TDI 6 weeks before the cheat scandal broke. I would have gotten 22k for my TDI on buy back instead of the 12k I got for trade in. And at the time I traded the car in for my R I still assumed I wasn't going to have to quit my job to keep from killing my boss. I don't regret buying my R, i just regret the timing I bought it.

Why is it such a loving pain in the rear end to copy a loving picture from my email to imgur.

This is what my stupid 58 bug is going to be painted in. Rattle can bright loving red, in the hopes that the standard texting suv whore doesn't mow me down.

Well poo poo, thought this was the VW thread.

You are now required by law to turn your bug into a hot hatch. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a hatch, it just keeps the engine back there. Just gotta make it hot :getin:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I want a sunroof

Why? Only thing sunroofs are good for is making me hit my head since they take up so much head space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why? Only thing sunroofs are good for is making me hit my head since they take up so much head space.

I am a tiny person so they don't get in my way.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Korbin posted:

35 to the wheels with just the tune? Even if I only have access to 91?

I'm not sure the numbers, but it is that drat good...even with 91.

I would say Accessport -> IC -> DP/exhaust
Doing upgrades in this order will allow you to step up on which stage you can tune with the AP

I would work your way up to a Stage 3 , then look at getting a custom tune which will wring out a few more HP/TQ

With the accessport you also get cool tricks like monitoring of zillions of gauges, flat foot shifting and launch control.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 17, 2017

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

It really is that ridiculous. Here's what you get from stock -> tune + intake on an RS:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

thetechnoloser posted:

accessport first, exhaust second. unless you don't like another 35HP to the wheels.

No tune on stock turbo adds 35hp to the wheels. At best, on a very aggressive e30-e50 tune, you can add 20-25ish.

However, those ethanol tunes can add nearly 100 peak torque. The size of the turbo is the issue, it's so small it peaks at very low rpm and runs out of steam at the top end. That being said, accessport is still the first mod you should buy, as long as you're willing to flash your ECU.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

you got fair market value for it though. your car's value would have plummeted to 4k within a month of the scandal and you would have waited in limbo for over a year before the settlement was available

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Rhyno posted:

I am a tiny person so they don't get in my way.

I wanted the sunroof until I drove one with it. I'm 5'9 and wearing a hat in it sucked and it's placed really far back. Also my wife is 6' and it cramped her space way too much.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My Speed3 is the first car I've ever owned without a sunroof (all the way back to the crank operated ones on my air-cooled bug and Rabbit GTI) and it fuckin' sucks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I hate sunroofs and hope to never own another car with one.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Lame. American car buys suck.

Gas is cheap now therefore gas is going to be cheap forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Gas is cheap now therefore gas is going to be cheap forever.

Well of course.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

However, those ethanol tunes can add nearly 100 peak torque. The size of the turbo is the issue, it's so small it peaks at very low rpm and runs out of steam at the top end. That being said, accessport is still the first mod you should buy, as long as you're willing to flash your ECU.

Have you done an ethanol tune? I've been interested in it, but, beside the custom tune, is there a lot of extra hardware to buy? Now that we have more ethanol carrying stations around here, I would be more open to the idea

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Have you done an ethanol tune? I've been interested in it, but, beside the custom tune, is there a lot of extra hardware to buy? Now that we have more ethanol carrying stations around here, I would be more open to the idea

It depends on two things, the materials your fuel system is made of and how much fuel it's able to flow.

Certain materials commonly used in fuel systems are just not ethanol compatible and corrode/degrade in its presence. Ethanol also has less energy per volume, so you need to flow more fuel to make the same power and even more to make more power. Many factory fuel systems, especially direct injected systems, can not keep up with the requirements of E85.

The FiST for example can be tuned for E30 with a stock fuel system but needs an auxiliary system to do E85.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Lame. American car buys suck.

Says the guy shopping for a used FiST. :lol: Are you kidding me? You are the reason that it's not going to be sold here anymore.

That's pretty much all enthusiasts though. They never put their money where their mouth is when it comes to buying new cars. :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

I had an e85 tune on my FRS with no additional parts required and liked the extra grunt but it just wouldn't start at all if it was under 20 degrees out and I lived near Boston at the time so that just wouldn't work. Sure was nice when it worked though and the cricket chirp noise they are known for was gone.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Larrymer posted:

Says the guy shopping for a used FiST. :lol: Are you kidding me? You are the reason that it's not going to be sold here anymore.

That's pretty much all enthusiasts though. They never put their money where their mouth is when it comes to buying new cars. :v:

I bought a brand new FiST two years ago but I've been telling everyone who asks about them recently to buy a used one because they're the obvious choice. It's a nine year old platform, it's quite durable, they depreciate like rocks, and aside from Sync 3 and a few paint colors nothing meaningful has changed in the entire US run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know who'd be foolish enough to buy a new FiST when a one year old model with 15K on the clock is $4-5K less.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's every car

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

that's every car

Goes without saying really.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yeah. Stratifieds off the shelf e30 tune. Was really good! The e30 calculation on a near empty tank was 3 gallons e85 + fill the rest w premium. My car was stock other than an FMIC, which you will need to run any aggressive tune.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

To be fair, a lot of the cars enthusiasts drool over would require them selling a kidney to afford. The FiST obviously isn't one of those, but I'd say it's more the exception than the rule.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Fiesta ST - the three cylinder sounds cool and all but the exterior restyle hasn't done it any favours

The new interior looks a lot nicer though

e. I know the ST isn't actually available yet but you can see where things are going from the ST-Line

I'd probably replace the FoST with one if I could. I think the restyle makes it look a bit better resolved, though the back is generic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't know who'd be foolish enough to buy a new FiST when a one year old model with 15K on the clock is $4-5K less.

Can't say I wouldn't do the same in this particular case if that's what I was shopping for, just don't bitch and moan about cars like that not coming to America. Because this is exactly why they don't.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A used manual only hot hatch... one of those cars you know had a tough life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Can't say I wouldn't do the same in this particular case if that's what I was shopping for, just don't bitch and moan about cars like that not coming to America. Because this is exactly why they don't.

People not buying the performance variant new is why the next gen Fiesta isn't coming to the states?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah. Stratifieds off the shelf e30 tune. Was really good! The e30 calculation on a near empty tank was 3 gallons e85 + fill the rest w premium. My car was stock other than an FMIC, which you will need to run any aggressive tune.

Wait....for only $50 I can get them to send me an OTS e30 tune? I was thinking an ethanol mixture monitor and other stuff were needed

Do I need to have access tuner software?

The only problem I can see cropping up is that I don't drive my car til it's completely out of fuel, so blindly trying to calculate what grade ethanol my mix is sounds like it could be trouble

We can take this to PM's if it's too off topic, but I'm interested to know more about it

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wait....for only $50 I can get them to send me an OTS e30 tune? I was thinking an ethanol mixture monitor and other stuff were needed

Do I need to have access tuner software?

The only problem I can see cropping up is that I don't drive my car til it's completely out of fuel, so blindly trying to calculate what grade ethanol my mix is sounds like it could be trouble

We can take this to PM's if it's too off topic, but I'm interested to know more about it

I think the e30 tune is $75, but yeah. They have ethanol calculator apps if you need em. I had a 93 octane tune as a backup in case I got stuck somewhere without precious corn juice.

You don't need tuner software, just an accessport and supporting mods (fmic). They send the tune and you load it on the car with the AP. Because it's off the shelf it's a fairly mild tune with safe parameters, so I never worried about ethanol mix being perfect tbh. It never, and I mean literally never including on a track day, threw a negative ignition correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People not buying the performance variant new is why the next gen Fiesta isn't coming to the states?

It's just funny to me that you were bitching about American car buyers when you're part of the group that you're complaining about. Manufacturers don't make any money when everybody only wants to buy the car used, so they pull out of that market. :shrug: