Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kri kri posted:

People dont have harmonys in 2017? Huh

I have one but
1) I hate the remote that came with it. Having no screen sucks. The whole thing feels like it wants me to just use the smart phone app all the time
2) I prefer my 650 as it's better for multi device control. Also see #1.
3) One less device I have to have hooked up to my AV setup
4) Harmony is really only useful for juggling multiple devices and I use Plex/Netflix 90%+ of the time. Hell, I'd be happy with just the smart TV app if it had Live TV and gigabit support. The remaining 10% of the time I'm having to do things manually because my receiver's ARC is super flakey getting enabled
5) my receiver and PS3 sometimes get randomly turned on when I'm having Alexa turn my TV on/off and it's annoying as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I want off the Harmony bandwagon too. My bedroom has a Roku TV and I'm perfectly happy with it. Living room has a separate Roku 3 and an Xbox One and those are the only two things I switch between these days.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

kri kri posted:

People dont have harmonys in 2017? Huh

I ditched my old Harmony when I upgraded my tv and suddenly all my stuff was CEC compatible.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I love my Harmony, and now it has alexa integration i can turn all the AV poo poo on/off with my voice which makes me feel like i'm living in the future. It controls my TV, Shield, AV Receiver, Lights and Sky box, and once set up it works flawlessly.

quote:

1) I hate the remote that came with it. Having no screen sucks. The whole thing feels like it wants me to just use the smart phone app all the time

My Harmony remote does have a screen?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I couldn't live without the Harmony but I have a ton of devices on every set. If you just have a few things and by some miracle CEC isn't finicky as hell on your setup then I'm sure its just an extra expense. To me its worth it to be able to have custom commands and stuff like that - a button to toggle subs, aspect ratio, etc. I only pick them up on sale though and I don't bother with the fancy screen based remotes, I just have the hub.

Also I did a bias lighting setup and it has an IR receiver so I'm able to use the Harmony to make kickin rad lightshows for the 2 times a year we entertain guests.

Roku TV seems to making major inroads, I saw it advertised on like half of the sets at the store the other day.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The Harmony Companion remote that comes with the Hub (the version with the home automation controls near the top) is the best remote I've ever had. I want one for every room in the house, and anywhere else I need a remote.

e:

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 14, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slash posted:

My Harmony remote does have a screen?

The low end model does not and is basically a 350. And I'm not paying a ton of money to get a screen version when all I want is the hub so I can have Alexa turn things on and off

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

WhyteRyce posted:

The low end model does not and is basically a 350. And I'm not paying a ton of money to get a screen version when all I want is the hub so I can have Alexa turn things on and off

I'm not even sure why you'd need the version with the screen. I have the one without and it's fantastic. It does everything I could need it (smart tv, xbone, firetv, directv) and it's super responsive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one I have has a screen and it's terrible if you want to do anything more complicated than change the volume.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I had a screen harmony for my av setup downstairs to control the speaker system, PlayStation, switch inputs, etc. The system is old enough it needed all that.

In my bedroom, all I have is a tv. I just want to watch Plex/Hulu/Netflix with a minimum of fuss, and I consider buying a harmony to control two modern devices overkill, and using the vizio remote to turn the TV on off and do volume while I use the roku,/shield remote for all the other stuff to be stupid.

Shid has an it blaster with it right? I get it with the Roku as it's rf, but it's a pretty big hole in my tv watching.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

I had a screen harmony for my av setup downstairs to control the speaker system, PlayStation, switch inputs, etc. The system is old enough it needed all that.

In my bedroom, all I have is a tv. I just want to watch Plex/Hulu/Netflix with a minimum of fuss, and I consider buying a harmony to control two modern devices overkill, and using the vizio remote to turn the TV on off and do volume while I use the roku,/shield remote for all the other stuff to be stupid.

Shid has an it blaster with it right? I get it with the Roku as it's rf, but it's a pretty big hole in my tv watching.

The 16gb model comes with a remote that has a blaster, yes. You can control your TV (on/off, input, volume) with it. If all you are using with the TV is the Shield it's perfect. Though I find the volume control (touch slider) to be a little wonky compared to regular buttons.

It will also control a soundbar for volume if you have one of those.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wandler20 posted:

I'm not even sure why you'd need the version with the screen. I have the one without and it's fantastic. It does everything I could need it (smart tv, xbone, firetv, directv) and it's super responsive.

I need per device control for those frequent moments my Onkyo receiver shits up the HDMI ARC switchover (basically all the time). I need per device control when the Harmony Hub decides to randomly turn on my Onkyo and/or PS3. For the later, I don't know if it's the Harmony Hub doing it or from the Alexa/Harmony integration but I don't really care and just removed those devices from my Harmony profile.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I need per device control for those frequent moments my Onkyo receiver shits up the HDMI ARC switchover (basically all the time). I need per device control when the Harmony Hub decides to randomly turn on my Onkyo and/or PS3. For the later, I don't know if it's the Harmony Hub doing it or from the Alexa/Harmony integration but I don't really care and just removed those devices from my Harmony profile.

I have no problems with the harmony hub but could always use my phone if I needed per device control. Same as having a remote with a screen and always charged.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

sellouts posted:

I have no problems with the harmony hub but could always use my phone if I needed per device control. Same as having a remote with a screen and always charged.

WhyteRyce posted:

I have one but

If I have to go fetch my phone to do something, then Harmony didn't really save me any time or effort over having to use the actual device remote. If I just default to always using the phone then the remote is pointless and I don't want to have to use my smartphone for me TV either (which is why I don't use Chromecast on my main TV)

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 14, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

WhyteRyce posted:

If I have to go fetch my phone to do something, then Harmony didn't really save me any time or effort over having to use the actual device remote. If I just default to always using the phone then the remote is pointless and I don't want to have to use my smartphone for me TV either (which is why I don't use Chromecast on my main TV)

How often are you having issues? I have everything run through my Denon receiver and things gently caress up at most once a month.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wandler20 posted:

How often are you having issues? I have everything run through my Denon receiver and things gently caress up at most once a month.

Once ever 2-3 weeks, which is more than I actually use them. It's annoying because both are kept in an entertainment unit with the doors close so I'll come home and hear the PS3 fan blasting away on full or the whole thing being very hot (which makes me paranoid because my Onkyo unit had a recall for faulty/flaky connections). If I used those devices significantly I probably wouldn't mind, but again when the number of misfires outweighs the number of times it works then it starts to lose it's appeal to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I get what you're saying but I just address that stuff in configuration and it never comes back. If you're doing weird things with CEC, ARC and etc then /shrug, I guess my setup is just more straight forward.

Devices staying on between activities is likely CEC (go through each device and turn it off) or you've left that weird power on setting in the Harmony config for those devices (this device stays ON when activity turns off). It shouldn't just randomly fire commands to turn on 2 devices in your setup, there is a reason.

Also the PS3 specifically had a bunch of weird problems turning itself on over the years but I moved onto the PS4 so I can't remember how I fixed it.

Or just use CEC if that works I guess. CEC has always been way more finicky for me than any other option but if its more refined these days then fair enough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone been having issues with Plex streaming to iOS Safari browser lately?

Often when a show is selected the spinner will just go spinning away and nothing plays. Fiddling with buttons sometimes kicks it into going, using the skip forward or moving the scrubber around.

Also the fullscreen button seems to be missing after a recent update, or I can't find it.

This is without a plex pass or anything. Perhaps it might be worth getting the media player app instead.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ARC is hardly weird and honestly I prefer it a lot more, bugs and all, then the old way of audio receiver setup. And it's easy to say "well it's just a configuration issue" but there was no obvious culprits when going through the Harmony and Alexa settings and Google search didn't yield any solutions that worked. And again, since I use Plex/Netflix 90% of the time and I already had a 650 remote which I loved, I just stopped caring and spent my time installing z-wave switches instead.

Yeah I don't particularly trust CEC which is why I'm warming up to the new FireTV with the IR blaster. Between that turning my TV on (and natural FireTV/Alexa integration) and Plex having Alexa support, I'm pretty well set with just one single device. Now just to talk myself into believing the new Plex UI on FireTV doesn't look like tablet trash

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

priznat posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Plex streaming to iOS Safari browser lately?

Often when a show is selected the spinner will just go spinning away and nothing plays. Fiddling with buttons sometimes kicks it into going, using the skip forward or moving the scrubber around.

Also the fullscreen button seems to be missing after a recent update, or I can't find it.

This is without a plex pass or anything. Perhaps it might be worth getting the media player app instead.

I've been having this issue and also issues resuming from a pause with Safari.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a Harmony One, it has a screen, and I don't get all this Harmony admiration, but maybe if I had a receiver and still used player devices on other inputs I'd like it more.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've used harmony remotes for years and upgraded to a harmony one last year. I loving hated that thing. The touch screen on it was super sensitive so it would accidentally switch inputs or just get in the wrong mode every time every time we picked it up confusing anyone that ever used it. Such a piece of poo poo. I returned it and swapped it out for another harmony 650 and now everything is good again.

Similar to the Apple TV gen 4 remote as in accidentally doing poo poo with it every time you pick it up because of touch sensitivity.

Not everything needs a god drat touch sensitive surface!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

I have a Harmony One, it has a screen, and I don't get all this Harmony admiration, but maybe if I had a receiver and still used player devices on other inputs I'd like it more.

I wouldn't bother with one if I didn't have a receiver, just not worth it. We have receivers on both of our sets so it made sense, particularly for me in the man cave where I have umpteen video game devices hooked up.

Also I've never liked the Harmony remotes that have a screen but they do let you setup more custom commands which I guess is cool if you need a ton of buttons/commands.

I took a look at the Logitech Harmony page and see they're still doing device based limits on the remotes too, very lame.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I have a 650, and I love it- and I have another 650 unopened in a box so that when this one dies I have a longer time to solve that particular problem.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The 650 is amazing and totally worth it - particularly because it has a screen where it benefits from one but isn't touch screen. Much like in a car, a remote has no business having a touchscreen interface.

I went months without realizing my 2015 Shield TV had IR and could be programmed with the Harmony, using two controllers was a dark time for those few months.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The problem with the Ultimate (I have one) isn't that it has a touchscreen, it's that it has a bad one. As others have noted, it is too sensitive.

I have a couple 650's as well and generally like them better (though I prefer the hub functionality).

None of this is really specific to the Plex client though, which if anything benefits from simple remotes. Folks like ourselves may love 650's and all the buttons but in my house, at least, I am the only one. I've found that the Shield remote is easily the favorite because it is so loving simple and outside of stuff like Kodi it works with every app well. Including Plex.

What ends up happening is the Harmony in the room gets treated as a kludgy macro-device to turn everything on/off or switch inputs and the Shield remote gets used for everything else.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you buy the lifetime plex pass, do you still have to buy the app for your phone etc?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You just need to login with the apps.

People you share with still need to buy/subscribe unless you don't mind turning on family(?) and setting up sub-accounts (you'd still need to login initially)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pretty sure some gently caress broke into my Plex account and changed a bunch of poo poo along with paying for a lifetime membership on my Paypal? Paypal said nothing had changed in 60 days and the password was generally secure. Dispute opened with both and I better get my $100USD refunded back.

Why the gently caress would they add that??

I noticed last night when I got back from a trip my Plex was asking for a pin and the name on the account was changed. Then a bunch of loving android devices (of course some Android idiots would do it). Used random.org for a password of 12 characters long to protect both accounts.

So not sure how the hell this happened. Thankfully Plex offers 7 days to reset your password back in case some chucklefuck does this. But why the gently caress don't they authorize that poo poo???! My GMail asks for a pin and texts me if a request to change it is sent. Big gently caress up on Plex's part IMO.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's good to find out during a week long internet outage that using Plex without a connection to the outside world is an absolute ballache if your setup is based around things like console apps, smart TV apps, Apple TV etc. Most of them flat out refuse to talk to your local server for reasons.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty sure some gently caress broke into my Plex account and changed a bunch of poo poo along with paying for a lifetime membership on my Paypal? Paypal said nothing had changed in 60 days and the password was generally secure. Dispute opened with both and I better get my $100USD refunded back.

Why the gently caress would they add that??

I noticed last night when I got back from a trip my Plex was asking for a pin and the name on the account was changed. Then a bunch of loving android devices (of course some Android idiots would do it). Used random.org for a password of 12 characters long to protect both accounts.

So not sure how the hell this happened. Thankfully Plex offers 7 days to reset your password back in case some chucklefuck does this. But why the gently caress don't they authorize that poo poo???! My GMail asks for a pin and texts me if a request to change it is sent. Big gently caress up on Plex's part IMO.

If some anonymous user gained access to your accounts of course they might upgrade it to the Plex Pass because that gets them access to the extra features at your expense!

It sounds like someone guessed/cracked your password...so this would be your fault, not anyone else's. For reference, nobody's ever guessed any of my passwords, and I use relatively complex ones, and a different one per account at that. Since you've already changed the password, tell us what it used to be so we can see exactly how simple it was (or wasn't.)

This really doesn't appear to be Plex's fault in any way, and the fact that other accounts use 2FA is irrelevant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not gonna post it but one was either 4 days or 400 hundred years if I had the exclamation marks in it according to https://howsecureismypassword.net/. It was two uncommon words put together and a number for some letters.

Paypal is refunding the money though and Plex says they can't go from Lifetime to Yearly, so I am getting a $13 refund on that as well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just started getting an error saying I can't connect securely to my server via my desktop browser. PlexKodiConnect also wouldn't update on my HTPC. If I connect insecurely it works. I haven't changed anything and don't know why this would start happening. Any ideas?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Not gonna post it but one was either 4 days or 400 hundred years if I had the exclamation marks in it according to https://howsecureismypassword.net/. It was two uncommon words put together and a number for some letters.

Paypal is refunding the money though and Plex says they can't go from Lifetime to Yearly, so I am getting a $13 refund on that as well.

That was probably not as secure as you think it was. It doesn't matter how uncommon the words were, if you used a simple character-substitution scheme it'd be relatively easy to decipher, at least in any scenario where there's no lock-out time for incorrect guesses (and thus unlimited tries.) That last part would actually be Plex's fault (unless it was a user-configurable option) though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all of my passwords are perfect, just that someone (or some software) was probably able to guess your password, and it wasn't complex enough.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Just started getting an error saying I can't connect securely to my server via my desktop browser. PlexKodiConnect also wouldn't update on my HTPC. If I connect insecurely it works. I haven't changed anything and don't know why this would start happening. Any ideas?

This happened to me a few months ago, it was some port on my router refusing to open via UPNP. The uptime was months long and I guess the buffer didn't clear or something. A quick reboot of the router and I signed out/in to Plex again in PKC and it was fine.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My Plex server is a windows PC. If I play something on that same machine in Kodi (PKC or official plugin), or in the web browser it plays fine.
If I play in the Plex Media Player the video freezes for split second every 30 seconds or so. There's no CPU spike in TaskManager and the audio doesnt skip. I've updated to the latest version, and clean installed, but still doing it.
PMP works fine on my other Windows PC.

Really annoying.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

friends don't let friends use UPnP

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
More like P-UPnP because it stinks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If anyone is on Roku for Plex, they just put out a firmware update that looks like it fixes audio sync. I'm getting perfect sync right now.

Just as I was about to switch to a Shield out of pure frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

If anyone is on Roku for Plex, they just put out a firmware update that looks like it fixes audio sync. I'm getting perfect sync right now.

I haven't had audio sync issues but I have had issues where randomly Plex for Roku just won't play audio for actual files. Menu audio and theme music works fine but as soon as videos start playing, silence, for all videos. Only way I've found to fix it is rebooting the Roku.