Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

ACC's Rescue Party implies this, in its ending. The aliens realize humanity survived the destruction of their sun, and crack a joke that lolol we should be afraid of these sorts of people, ammirite? It's implied that the trillions of aliens in the galaxy should've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timothy Zahn uses something similar as a theme in a bunch of his novels, although not quite to that same extent. He has at least two separate supersoldier series. It's pulp, but fun pulp.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There was something similar in Lensmen, with humanity being selectively bred to be the ultimate combat psions, but there were three other (terrifyingly effective) races that were considered equally good candidates.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 20, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of the ones I remember most from Zahn, and yeah, it's silly, but it was a short story about an alien race that abducted samples of various races to test them and see how much of a threat they might be. The test was seeing how good they are at competitive strategy games, and of course after a short time they're terrified of the human they pick up. In the end he devises an original game on the fly, designed to pass a coded message to his opponent, to form an alliance so they can defeat their captors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I will add in I Don't Even Own A Televisions pod about RPO too
http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

Bonus CLine's other 'member dis! book, Armada
http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2015/07/20/034-armada/

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell?
You writing this just basically rocked my world as I came to realize that that entire race literally communicates through memes.

Also I was skeptical of this show when I watched the first episode and the thematic whiplash gave me a spinal injury but after episode 2 I have bumped it up to "guilty pleasure." I laughed so goddamn hard at the reality TV joke and there was way less awful comedy. If this show gets the greenlight for future seasons, I imagine they'll be amazing in the way TNG after season 1 got amazing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Shaq, when the food broke

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gawain The Blind posted:

I get it, though. I bitched about fuckin' "Gotham" for three seasons, when I should have stopped watching after episode 3.

I am totally the target audience. I loving love Star Trek. I'm just not impressed at a warmed-over rehash that doesn't seem to understand what makes Trek great. And unlike many in this thread, I don't jizz myself over a beige corridor.

Snak posted:

I actually laughed when this happened in the show. I don't really see how it's a negative...

You weren't meant to laugh at that.

quote:

Just like in the real military*, chain of command is not stratified purely by rank alone. Just because a doctor has a high rank doesn't mean they are next in line to command the ship.

Yeah, it makes sense that as a medical officer she wouldn't take command. Which makes it weird when she does, in fact, take command.

quote:

Why would a The Orville directly reference a time honored star trek plot? i have no idea! As for not actually doing the right thing in the end, but pretending they did, have you ever actually watched star trek?

Just copying or "doing an homage" of Star Trek elements without adding anything new of worth isn't a good thing. This is the problem with the whole show. And usually in Star Trek (i.e. when they don't gently caress up), they would have at least commiserated that they couldn't have rescued all the aliens.

quote:

You mentioned Cassidy Yates, which implies you've seen some star trek, but it really seems like you haven't...

I've seen plenty of Trek mate (I guess every episode from TNG on) and I've never seen a character that low-ranked defy an admiral without consequences. And at any rate, it is terrible drama to base the conflict of your entire second act around a character's fear of angering an admiral and then at the end of the third act just sweep that problem under the rug.

quote:

The last star trek series on the air had a captain who was obsessed with water polo...

So? You realise this is the exact opposite of what we're talking about, right? Enterprise posits a future where water polo is popular, unlike now, where it isn't. This is completely different from apparently everyone on the crew being obsessed with culture from hundreds of years ago - including an alien who on the spur of the moment suggested 21st century US reality TV as a solution to her problem. How would she have even heard of it?

quote:

Again, as with the "beat to hell ship", Trek is notoriously terrible at showing instead of telling.

I don't remember Trek ever being this lazy, but in general they should be aiming to better or iterate on Trek rather than hackily copying it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Don't worry, I'm totally convinced you're a huge Star Trek fan because you're taking this way more seriously than it's meant to be taken.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DaveKap posted:

You writing this just basically rocked my world as I came to realize that that entire race literally communicates through memes.

I unironically love that 26 years later (really? God I'm old) people can still suddenly have this click for them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've seen plenty of Trek mate (I guess every episode from TNG on) and I've never seen a character that low-ranked defy an admiral without consequences. And at any rate, it is terrible drama to base the conflict of your entire second act around a character's fear of angering an admiral and then at the end of the third act just sweep that problem under the rug.

On the admiral issue, they basically dismissed that early in the episode when someone said something like "You only have to worry about reprisal if you fail."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

You weren't meant to laugh at that.
Oh poo poo.

I had no idea.

How should I proceed?

Does it, like, cancel out if I intentionally don't laugh at something I'm meant to laugh at?

Or does it have to be unintentional? Maybe I could watch some things that are supposed to be funny, and then run them by you, and you can let me know if I accidentally didn't laugh at something I was meant to...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is exactly like TNG and therefore bad.

Now, allow me to enumerate at length some of the many ways in which it is different from TNG and therefore bad.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Comrade Fakename posted:

I loving love Star Trek. I'm just not impressed at a warmed-over rehash that doesn't seem to understand what makes Trek great. And unlike many in this thread, I don't jizz myself over a beige corridor.

Prepare to hear my dissertation on Star Trekkin' Across the Universe and how it fails to live up to the series of its namesake

'I had not jizzed for a considerable length of time and though I hold my jizzing at a higher standard than most...'

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I really liked this episode, though I'm still not s huge fan of some of the references to the 90s/2000s but whatever, they use to reference Jazz, Film Noire and Shakespeare in the year 2364 so I can get over it.

I like the idea mentioned above that this is the 'd' team to the enterprises 'A' team of professionals. Hence the drinking and pee-pee jokes.

Anyway, this felt the most 'star trek' yet so I'm interested to see what the next episode holds.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, it makes sense that as a medical officer she wouldn't take command. Which makes it weird when she does, in fact, take command.

It's almost like she wasn't present in one instance and was present in another.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I really liked this episode, though I'm still not s huge fan of some of the references to the 90s/2000s but whatever, they use to reference Jazz, Film Noire and Shakespeare in the year 2364 so I can get over it.

The modern pop references read to me as a send-up of the Trek trope of everyone being into bygone but strictly public-domain media. Who's to say the Muppets aren't as big as Shakespeare by the 24th century? It also makes sense character-wise, because if they're going to be into old Earth entertainment, it may as well be this stuff since they are indeed the uncultured D-Team.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The second episode was better than the first, but the show still has a long way to go. While I do like Star Trek, I wish this show tried to have more of it's own identity, other than "Next Generation but jokey". The opening, characters, costumes, technology, and even the score all evoke Star Trek. A lot of the humor is falling flat, too, and the sooner they abandon the "bickering with the ex-wife," the better. Some jokes were funny, though.

What I'd like to see is a little world-building. How much is known about the Galaxy? Are there clear threats to humanity? What is the Orville's mission? We're told it's an exploration vessel, but no exploration has taken place. Are there vast unknown parts of the galaxy? We don't need a ton of world-building right away, but it would be nice to place the Orville's activities in a larger context.

I do love space shows, so I'll keep watching for a while, but this show has a lot of hiccups to overcome. Here's hoping!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Comrade Fakename posted:

I didn't read the rest of your post but lines of succession, man.

In the presidential line of succession, #5 is the Secretary of the Treasury. Secretary of Health is #12, though, hrmmm

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
it's from JJTrek, so it doesn't really count, but remember that time that Captain Pike gave command of the Enterprise to an enlisted cadet who stowed away illegally, instead of like any qualified officer in the chain of command? I can't imagine how pissed basically every person on the entire ship must have been...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

vermin posted:

I was hoping Bortus was going to give an inspirational speech to Kitan about how Captain Mercer was inspired to lead his crew by the great amphibian leader Kermit the Frog.

It's still early times, they still might do that (I hope).

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

We kind of already are:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wpZ4w/comment/737926483

https://imgur.com/gallery/309O7tJ

http://elidyce.tumblr.com/post/157931371698/humans-are-weird

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I didn't read the rest of your post

Fair enough, I didn't bother reading past this either.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

Yeah you're right I should give him more credit. But it's like having some weird unsavory sounding thing listed on your resume.

He directed quite a few TNG episodes. He tended to make interesting directorial choices that stood out a bit from "regular" TNG, he was good at directing even back in the day.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, studios like him as a director because he gets shots done on time and under budget. "Two-Takes Frakes" they call him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know what the show needs? Patrick Stewart to come on and do live action director Bullock.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

This also brought to mind a Larry Niven short story about a team of Kzinti who go on a hunting trip in Africa and discover that the wildlife and environment in the birthplace of humans is dangerous in the extreme, and they (the ones who survive) come away finally understanding, a little, how humans were able to defeat them in several wars.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

You know what the show needs? Patrick Stewart to come on and do live action director Bullock.

Naw, he needs to be a janitor in the background without any lines for one or two shots a season. And then, in the series finale, he can walk into McFarlane's office to collect the trash and tell Seth, "You're really awful at this."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should redo the Lt Picard scene from Tapestry with Ed and Kelly as Riker and Troi, make it look like it's all some alternate timeline.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tom Hardy as the hot successful clone bred
to infiltrate the Union.

(I wonder if 'union' is a slight nod to fully automated luxury space communism)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

An episode that reveals before he joined the Union, Bortus was considered Moclin's most successful stand up comedian.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Alara got some eybrows in episode 2, I noticed. I totally see why.

[quote="“Jeb! Repetition”" post="“476571538”"]
Shaq, when the food broke
[/quote]

Temba, at rest.

twistedmentat posted:

Yes please.

[quote="“Macdeo Lurjtux”" post="“476580930”"]
Naw, he needs to be a janitor in the background without any lines for one or two shots a season. And then, in the series finale, he can walk into McFarlane’s office to collect the trash and tell Seth, “You’re really awful at this.”
[/quote]

This works too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Patrick Stewart should be this show's Boothby.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Orville just happens to have an sexy cakes store onboard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

Patrick Stewart should be this show's Q.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just watched the first two episodes. This show needs time to establish a world and have the discipline to make jokes based upon that world. Its chances aren't good, but I hope it pulls it off.

I'll be watching weekly. Maybe not day of broadcast, but I'll watch it weekly.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 21, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's the world established by trek.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Snak posted:

It's the world established by trek.

Legally its distinct, but also the owners of the Star Trek IP for some reason refuse to make actual Trek in favor of making 2Trek2Furious movies and launching cockamamy schemes to prop up their garbage internet ventures, so someone had to take the mantle up.

Also it's just a show, you should really just relax.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They should go to a mirror universe and find their mirror ship crewed by the whole TNG cast. To avoid copyright issues they'd need different names, let's see.

Captain John Luck Pickard
Cmdr. Al Roker
Lt. Cmdr. Info, or maybe even "Data" the way Pulaski says it, after all its not his name.
Lt. Wereworf
Chief Engineer George LaFordi
Dr. Smusher? I'm out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should do that, but instead of a mirror universe the Not-Trek crew should be one of the more prestigious ships in the Orvilleverse's federation, to help reinforce the fact that this show is about underdog b-listers.