Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Uh, BEHOLD! An entire racing league for sale in one ad!!!!

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/7-geo-metros/6314125725.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Delivery McGee posted:

The reason classic cars are classics is because people trashed most of them when they were just old and cheap. My father's first car was a '57 Chevy coupe, and at the time he was ashamed to be driving a ten-year-old car to high school. A few years later, he and his buddies would buy '59 Chevy pickups for $50 and run them into the ground over the weekend doing stupid poo poo. When he met my mom, she had a '73 Nova SS. While I was gestating, they sold the Nova to Mom's cousin and got a more family-friendly car (a Ford Fairmont wagon, which is also kind of a thing nowadays). Said cousin promptly wrapped the Nova around a tree.

Yeah, my aunt's beater car in the 80s was an "old" Nova SS that my dad 80's style riced out for her. She eventually stopped fixing it and sold it/traded it for something boring like a LeBaron or whatever she ended up with, it was the 80s, I can't remember everyone's cars that far back unless they were interesting or they don't stop talking about them today, like that Nova. On both counts. "Hey remember the Nova?" Yes, yes I do, you just brought it up again like two days ago.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Lol, that's a stag weekend right there

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah, a 3 cylinder racing league would be interesting.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I've oft considered putting a Triumph engine in a Metro, because the best engine swaps keep the original number of cylinders and have twice the horsepower (in the same vein, a crazy-built Cummins 5.9L in a Hudson Hornet.).

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Delivery McGee posted:

I've oft considered putting a Triumph engine in a Metro, because the best engine swaps keep the original number of cylinders and have twice the horsepower (in the same vein, a crazy-built Cummins 5.9L in a Hudson Hornet.).

I hope you're talking Rocket III

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Delivery McGee posted:

Sounds like you are referring to the Urba Centurion kit car, with the infamous Kubota 3 cylinder.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sounds like you are referring to the Urba Centurion kit car, with the infamous Kubota 3 cylinder.

Hell even the ecoboost 1l would be a riot in a Metro

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Forgot about that one.

Dang near 25 years drove a Chevy Sprint (the predecessor for the Metro).

It was a torquey little bastard. Would take off in in 3rd gear.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

18hp, 55mph top speed, yes!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Holy lol, I still have a copy of Mechanix Illustrated from 1982 that featured that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I hope you're talking Rocket III

Sure, it'd fit, but it's funnier with the 1L I3 because:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sure, whatever, the Speed Triple is just the engine I know of that has thrice the power as the original Metro engine with the same number of cylinders and about the same displacement..

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

Holy lol, I still have a copy of Mechanix Illustrated from 1982 that featured that.

My dad at the time was some crazed bastard born out of the ashes of hell-fire to get the best MPG available.

He "deleted" the cat out of our Chevy Nova and had them turn a leaded to unleaded adapter for the gas tank since the nozzles were different.

He ordered blueprints for the Urba-Car. Which is a far cry from the Centurion. drat thing is basically a lawn mower engine strapped into some fiberglassed gently caress machine.

Ah parents, they had good ideas at the time but you look back and think...wtf?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
a kid goes to his dad and asks for 3 geo metros.

"Five geo metros??? whaddaya need 7 geo metros for!!??"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anyone have something fun sitting around they need a cheap body to throw it in?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic-2006/6314335769.html

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Growing up at the end of my street was a biker dude that lived with 3 huge ladies. He was obsessed with metros and had a bunch in rotation that the ladies would drive and he would work on them and never drive them, he always stuck to the harley. They didnt have anywhere to go i guess so each of them would get in a car with a dog and take the dogs for a drive. Like a parade of fat ladies with barking dogs in metros twice a day everyday. It was so goddamned weird. Geo metro's kinda spook me now especially a group of them lol.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Our local eccentric millionaire drives nothing but small cars, other than the twice a year he breaks out his first gen turquoise Thunderbird. A couple of years ago he finally got rid of his black Metro 3 door and replaced it with a Smart car. He'd keep a stable of a few of them at a time. His grandson, my friend had a 5 door manual transmission Metro hand-me-down from him as his first car. I loved hooning around in that thing. I have an affinity for small cars myself in so much as my wife hoped I didn't notice a white Geo Storm convertible we saw at the side of the road for sale last weekend. I saw it and as much as I'd like to buy it, the gently caress am I going to do with a Storm convertible when I've got no place to put it? And I can't imagine those rising in price unless we've got another major spike in oil prices. I'm sure there will be some Storms and Metros kicking around for when I've got the space.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Which is more likely to happen: I sleep with Gal Gadot or this guy get $45k for his hacked up Jag.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/1978-jaguar-roadster-v12/6245650793.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tai-Pan posted:

Which is more likely to happen: I sleep with Gal Gadot or this guy get $45k for his hacked up Jag.

Outside of everything else those wheels, why do people always pick poo poo garbage wheels, why I ask you!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, my aunt's beater car in the 80s was an "old" Nova SS that my dad 80's style riced out for her. She eventually stopped fixing it and sold it/traded it for something boring like a LeBaron or whatever she ended up with, it was the 80s, I can't remember everyone's cars that far back unless they were interesting or they don't stop talking about them today, like that Nova. On both counts. "Hey remember the Nova?" Yes, yes I do, you just brought it up again like two days ago.

My dad had column shift toyota or mitsubishi vans, and my uncle had kei style vans. they were terrible and I don't know why some AI goons love them now. Anyone from Australia or NZ wouldn't understand.
I wish my dad would have kept his old GMH sedans and wagons though. They would be interesting to me. Also my maternal grand-dads subarus and paternal grandmothers cortina and austins

TL;DR my dad sold his cool old GMH wagon for a lovely japanese vans with column shift and I don't approve E: the holden wagon also had column shift :colbert:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 21, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

My dad had column shift toyota or mitsubishi vans, and my uncle had kei style vans. they were terrible and I don't know why some AI goons love them now. Anyone from Australia or NZ wouldn't understand.

Someone from NZ came into the import thread specifically to counter this argument. Vans are like super wagons and a column shift one is like an AI endgame. I would avoid it personally but I can't deny that it's super cool.
Plus people like me love kei vans because we never got them. I've been dailying my Acty for a year and a half now and it still owns hard. :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

DogonCrook posted:

Growing up at the end of my street was a biker dude that lived with 3 huge ladies. He was obsessed with metros and had a bunch in rotation that the ladies would drive and he would work on them and never drive them, he always stuck to the harley. They didnt have anywhere to go i guess so each of them would get in a car with a dog and take the dogs for a drive. Like a parade of fat ladies with barking dogs in metros twice a day everyday. It was so goddamned weird. Geo metro's kinda spook me now especially a group of them lol.

This got me good, hahaha

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

PaintVagrant posted:

This got me good, hahaha

Idgi

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KakerMix posted:

Someone from NZ came into the import thread specifically to counter this argument. Vans are like super wagons and a column shift one is like an AI endgame. I would avoid it personally but I can't deny that it's super cool.
Plus people like me love kei vans because we never got them. I've been dailying my Acty for a year and a half now and it still owns hard. :colbert:
I'm not ever going to tell anyone how to have fun with a serious tone. It's true that some over there want Japanese cars, and we down here have had our fill and want US cars - grass is always greener etc. So I'm not trying to antagonize whenever I post about the fact I'm over Japanese cars, but I grew up with them and was mainly responding to someone else's nostalgic post. I had no idea after mazda rotaries and the death of the aussie RWD industry that I would go BMW. Do whatever, I hope you aren't reading me wrong and I hope to gently caress no major thread derails...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Tai-Pan posted:

Minus the stickers and ugly rear end wheels, it's good for maybe 10k to the right person

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I feel like this is gonna be sold by the end of the day

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-international-harvester/6314477080.html

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

It made me laugh.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice find. To think it was made in a factory probably 4 miles away.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Are uh, surf boards a thing in Indiana? Growing up in Muskegon Michigan I never saw any.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Are uh, surf boards a thing in Indiana? Growing up in Muskegon Michigan I never saw any.

There are several PT/HHR/panel whatevers here in my friggin town with Surf Boards bolted to the roof rack of the vehicle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

So what's the LeMons rule on multiple cars?

Also, Could I hitch all of them together with 7 drivers and have it count as one car? Kinda like how a train with a shitton of cars is still 1 train.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So what's the LeMons rule on multiple cars?

Also, Could I hitch all of them together with 7 drivers and have it count as one car? Kinda like how a train with a shitton of cars is still 1 train.

I always thought LeMons made exceptions for odd stuff. Like the guy that strapped a radial engine in his car.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

There are several PT/HHR/panel whatevers here in my friggin town with Surf Boards bolted to the roof rack of the vehicle.

*sound of my gears grinding*

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always thought LeMons made exceptions for odd stuff. Like the guy that strapped a radial engine in his car.

Something something index of affluency..

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Who's looking for a rad toy hauler?

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/race-car-hauler/6289641796.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Trying to figure out what I'm looking at in the 2nd pic.

But thanks for making me look up 2-speed rear ends.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Trying to figure out what I'm looking at in the 2nd pic.

But thanks for making me look up 2-speed rear ends.

There's a window in the box part. I'm guessing that picture is of the "lounge" mentioned in the ad?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

find an open field and demolition derby those metros.
with their lack of power and mass you could probably get a few hours of bumper car entertainment before they were all dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Posts race car hauler with 'lounge', posts lovely picture of what might be a lounge and no pictures of the car hauler portion. I'm tempted to contact him but it just screams bad idea and that's way overkill for the hauling I need to do.

edit: poo poo that might be a Lou Oleynik enclosed transport truck. The truck, year range and size are about right at quick glance. More info - https://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/general-discussion/11696-the-official-bs-car-hauler-thread-stories-pics-post-em-if-ya-got-em

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 22, 2017