Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Boy maybe I should've even glanced at your username for literally one second before asking that. :doh:

Those are some slick cars.

edit: crap, new page terrible comment. Heres a mediocre picture

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I did a thing a few months ago and finally bought a car here in the UK. I knew since we have a family of 4 that it'd have to be a wagon, and praise Jeebus there are a shitload of wagons here. I'm sure there's something sketchy about it, but overall I think it was a decent buy for only £2000.

Gotta love the wacky French for making it so that to engage cruise control you have a flip a switch near the arm-rest and then press a button on the steering stalk. :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

real_scud posted:

I did a thing a few months ago and finally bought a car here in the UK. I knew since we have a family of 4 that it'd have to be a wagon, and praise Jeebus there are a shitload of wagons here. I'm sure there's something sketchy about it, but overall I think it was a decent buy for only £2000.

Gotta love the wacky French for making it so that to engage cruise control you have a flip a switch near the arm-rest and then press a button on the steering stalk. :psyduck:

This thing rules. It's so smooth, like a river stone.

It looks too big to be a Megane, what is it? License plate search just returns "blue Renault," which is not particularly descriptive.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The title for the FXT finally came from New Jersey so I was able to register it this morning. Plate is less relevant on a Japanese car, but it's from one of my favorite movies so :dealwithit:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It looks too big to be a Megane, what is it? License plate search just returns "blue Renault," which is not particularly descriptive.

Looks like a Megane Sport Tourer maybe? I'm not massively clued in about Renaults.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Rarely seen angle of the Lexus, so dirty.

Sunset colors!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Hey, the roof finally came! Road America tomorrow so we'll see if it ends up with more wrinkled bodywork.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

3rd gen Renault Laguna. My dad had a 2nd gen one ten years ago. Big and comfortable. Pretty reliable.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Holdbrooks posted:

my collection is less orange than it used to be...

Is the bosozoku truck having work done on it?

Is it returning?!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The title for the FXT finally came from New Jersey so I was able to register it this morning. Plate is less relevant on a Japanese car, but it's from one of my favorite movies so :dealwithit:

seen a few of these at the beach that were on coilovers and they are pretty cool for how low key they are

my gf had the regular forester and that engine was impossible to kill despite absolute minimal maintenance :allears:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Thief posted:

seen a few of these at the beach that were on coilovers and they are pretty cool for how low key they are

my gf had the regular forester and that engine was impossible to kill despite absolute minimal maintenance :allears:

This was the only manual XT I could find for less than mega $. In fact, it was the only manual one I found at all within like 300 miles. All the. XT's in PA were automatic, and I ran into ones for $10k+ that had half the rear fenders rotted out or needed turbo oil lines or whatever. We were unwilling to settle for an automatic or a non-turbo so I'm actually glad the search went as quickly as it did. I don't think I'll put coil overs or WRX suspension on it but I will probably at least do an accessport.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

ishikabibble posted:

Is the bosozoku truck having work done on it?

Is it returning?!

I have tinkered with it here and there. When I get some time off to really work on it I will make a new thread. I have been busy with work as usual and now a house to work on.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This was the only manual XT I could find for less than mega $. In fact, it was the only manual one I found at all within like 300 miles. All the. XT's in PA were automatic, and I ran into ones for $10k+ that had half the rear fenders rotted out or needed turbo oil lines or whatever. We were unwilling to settle for an automatic or a non-turbo so I'm actually glad the search went as quickly as it did. I don't think I'll put coil overs or WRX suspension on it but I will probably at least do an accessport.

That's funny, I went manual XT hunting in PA recently too. I didn't have any success so I ended up in something else silly and manual with a turbo for about the same price as a ten year old XT, even if it's not quite the same amount of fun. At least it has a warranty. Probably going to need it after all. :v:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Snatch?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Protection from who, Tommy?

[quote="“PCOS Bill”" post="“476708144”"]
That’s funny, I went manual XT hunting in PA recently too. I didn’t have any success so I ended up in something else silly and manual with a turbo for about the same price as a ten year old XT, even if it’s not quite the same amount of fun. At least it has a warranty. Probably going to need it after all. :v:
[/quote]

What did you go with?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

What did you go with?

Oh my god I forgot to actually include that in the most relevant thread, am I retarded or what.

I got a great deal on like the last '16 Renegade with the 1.4t/6 speed base model combo around me. I'm going to regret it next time the gas prices spike I bet but for now I'm ecstatic. I haven't had a "new" car since the late 90s. Reading some of their forums I'm kind of thinking I might go back in on Monday and talk to them about that lifetime warranty after all

Edit: Went with a FWD model because I still have my 4WD XJ hanging around for beater/winter duty

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I turn 40 in March, gotta get my grampa on

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I want to find the person that signed off on the black/brown/tan interior, and throat punch them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

I want to find the person that signed off on the black/brown/tan interior, and throat punch them.

I liked it better than the black/brown/cognac interior and the black/black/black interior :shrug:

I would have preferred black/brown/brown though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

[quote="« Goober Peas »" post="« 476709646 »"]

[/quote]

I loving hate that shifter

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I did the first couple of days. Now I don't even think about it. I still prefer it to the Chrysler/Ford/Jaguar rotary or the Honda/Lincoln/GMC pushbuttons.

Optimum is a normal lever like we've had forever though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Should have had a column shifter. :corsair:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

We sold our trusty '02 F150 this past weekend because it was only a single cab and we couldn't really go anywhere all together (me, wife, two kids) and haul large items at the same time. We only do that sort of thing occasionally so it didn't need to be new or perfect. Yesterday we replaced it with this. 1995 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, 147k miles. It's got a replacement motor that has been gone through for reliability stuff. It's got all new hard brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pump and sending unit. I drove it home on the highway yesterday in this weird late-September heat wave and the temp gauge never moved above 160. I've never bought such a large piece of iron for so little money. Paid $2200 with tax and transfer fees. Could use some new tires but it just passed inspection until September of next year. No rust on the body or frame. Drives straight and the steering is miraculously accurate.

If you'll look closely at the front end picture up above you can kinda see the broken plastic on the driver's side headlight surround down at the bottom. It was pretty janky and flopping around like a recently-caught fish. This morning I fixed it drifter-style with zip tie stitches.

I also found this Zippo in the glove box. It's inscribed "Bertha" so my son named the truck The Subertha.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Anything you'll ever need for it is available from Dorman.

Barn doors best doors.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Strongly considering the new Regal when it comes out and like the looks of the Lacrosse but think it might be a wee bit too barge-y for my condo garage/city life. I gotta ask, though: can you fit ANYTHING AT ALL useful in that cubby hole below the shifter? Story is Buick was going to do a Lexus-ish trackpad in the Lacrosse but canned it for cost reasons and were left with extra space on the console so rather than redesign it usefully they shoved that odd-shaped hole in there instead. I think that would drive me mad; doesn't look big enough for a phone or pack of smokes, the hell would I put in there?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smr posted:

doesn't look big enough for a phone or pack of smokes, the hell would I put in there?

Dunno what you mean, it clearly looks big enough for either of these things. It extends below the side for a bit.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots posted:

Anything you'll ever need for it is available from Dorman.

Barn doors best doors.

This. GMT410 'burbans are awesome, solid vehicles.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

We sold our trusty '02 F150 this past weekend because it was only a single cab and we couldn't really go anywhere all together (me, wife, two kids) and haul large items at the same time. We only do that sort of thing occasionally so it didn't need to be new or perfect. Yesterday we replaced it with this. 1995 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, 147k miles. It's got a replacement motor that has been gone through for reliability stuff. It's got all new hard brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pump and sending unit. I drove it home on the highway yesterday in this weird late-September heat wave and the temp gauge never moved above 160. I've never bought such a large piece of iron for so little money. Paid $2200 with tax and transfer fees. Could use some new tires but it just passed inspection until September of next year. No rust on the body or frame. Drives straight and the steering is miraculously accurate.

Nice truck, whatup fellow Suburbanite?

I paid $4200 this summer for this '03 2500 4wd Quadrasteer truck with the LQ4/L480e combo. I'm sure most of AI turns their noses up at this sort of thing, but these old Suburbans are so goddamn useful. We're moving and doing house renovation stuff and the dollars-to-utility ratio just can't be beat. Towing, throwing all the kids in the back and still having 3 feet of cargo space behind that 3rd row? Real goddamn useful. Once the house chaos is over I intend to go full retard on this LQ4. :devil:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Goober Peas posted:

This looks suspiciously like a Vauxhall Insignia. Badge engineering?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Tremek posted:

I paid $4200 this summer for this '03 2500 4wd Quadrasteer truck with the LQ4/L480e combo. I'm sure most of AI turns their noses up at this sort of thing, but these old Suburbans are so goddamn useful. We're moving and doing house renovation stuff and the dollars-to-utility ratio just can't be beat. Towing, throwing all the kids in the back and still having 3 feet of cargo space behind that 3rd row? Real goddamn useful. Once the house chaos is over I intend to go full retard on this LQ4. :devil:

I love the 3/4 ton 'burbans with the cab lights on them. How's the quadrasteer on yours, any issues with it? Does the 3/4 ton have the rear load leveling like the Z71 half tons?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

This looks suspiciously like a Vauxhall Insignia. Badge engineering?

You betcha

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I love the 3/4 ton 'burbans with the cab lights on them. How's the quadrasteer on yours, any issues with it? Does the 3/4 ton have the rear load leveling like the Z71 half tons?

Quadrasteer's currently non-functional due to the rear steering position sensor being shot and NLA, but I'm keeping an eye out for one. If any of you see Quadrasteer parts on your local CL or in a yard, let me know!

The system itself works - just after you key it on, you can turn the wheels before the sensor gives an invalid reading and forces the angle to 0' - so whenever I can find a sensor that isn't $1000+ from some opportunist on eBay I'll be able to use it.

Edit: Exploded diagrams:

Part #2 is what I need -

It's underneath the shield on the right:

... and looks like this:

There are a couple of replacement part #s for it;
Duralast/Wells?/Autozone/Airtex part # SU7859
Delphi #26091590

Anyway, tl;dr - if any of you find one or know of where I can find one, would very much appreciate it. There's a bunch of automated inventory pages out there that say they have them in stock, but it's a lie.

Yes the 3/4 ton does have Autoride in the rear to do the rear-load leveling, but the stock shocks suck and I'm going to put Bilsteins on it soon and just throw a resistor on the Autoride plug. I don't put enough tongue weight on this thing right now to matter.

This particular truck is an LS trim - cloth seats, pretty basic equipment - but the upshot of that is that it looks great inside and the seats show virtually no wear unlike all the trucks of the same era with leather seats. Fine by me, less stuff to go wrong, and as the GMT800 platform is so easy to work on anyway doing minor stuff isn't a big deal.

Already pulled the stock radio and put in an Android head unit I found for $26(!) on Amazon + a backup camera for another $20 - I have less than $100 into the entire radio upgrade including the GM bus adapter stuff - and am slowly working on other minor things as time permits.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PCOS Bill posted:

You betcha

The insignia is the equivalent to the regal. Not sure there's an Opel/Vauxhall lacrosse variant.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

smr posted:

Strongly considering the new Regal when it comes out and like the looks of the Lacrosse but think it might be a wee bit too barge-y for my condo garage/city life. I gotta ask, though: can you fit ANYTHING AT ALL useful in that cubby hole below the shifter? Story is Buick was going to do a Lexus-ish trackpad in the Lacrosse but canned it for cost reasons and were left with extra space on the console so rather than redesign it usefully they shoved that odd-shaped hole in there instead. I think that would drive me mad; doesn't look big enough for a phone or pack of smokes, the hell would I put in there?

You're talking about the trapezoid on the surface of the console, just south of the shifter, right?

You are correct - my '14 Regal had a similar hole. In some markets, touchscreens while driving are a no-no, so they stuck a trackpad there for the driver to operate the display while driving.

Oddly enough, the same was true on the Regal/Insignia for the climate controls. In some markets you got touch capacitive buttons, in others you got rotary knobs.

The irony is that the Lacrosse isn't currently sold in any market where the touchscreen restriction exists. So it's a pointless little cubby that is good for sticking the keyfob for a valet. Or a pack of stick gum.

The trapezoidal storage bin underneath the shifter is huge, contains a power port and is lighted. In profile it's 15" long and tapers from 6 inches tall to 3 inches tall. It's 8 inches wide and narrows to 6 inches wide at the rear.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Larrymer posted:

The insignia is the equivalent to the regal. Not sure there's an Opel/Vauxhall lacrosse variant.

Platform buddies

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tremek posted:

Quadrasteer's currently non-functional due to the rear steering position sensor being shot and NLA, but I'm keeping an eye out for one. If any of you see Quadrasteer parts on your local CL or in a yard, let me know!

The system itself works - just after you key it on, you can turn the wheels before the sensor gives an invalid reading and forces the angle to 0' - so whenever I can find a sensor that isn't $1000+ from some opportunist on eBay I'll be able to use it.

An electronics nerd could probably repair the angle sensor. I live in BFE and there are multiple CL ads offering repair on electronics/gauge clusters etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PCOS Bill posted:

Platform buddies

Epsilons, yes. The Lacrosse is massive compared to the regal/insignia. Still, can't wait to see the wagon version come stateside. :swoon:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

angryrobots posted:

An electronics nerd could probably repair the angle sensor. I live in BFE and there are multiple CL ads offering repair on electronics/gauge clusters etc.

It's a Hall Effect sensor, so while I'm semi-ignorant as to what's actually inside, part of me says "how complicated can it be?"

There's a whole bunch of Quadrasteer people that are interested in seeing this happen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tremek posted:

I think AI can appreciate a Suburban since they don't represent what is 'wrong' with disposable car culture any more, that goes to the beluga whale Infiniti. Besides like you said, dollars to practicality is extremely tough to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tremek posted:

It's a Hall Effect sensor, so while I'm semi-ignorant as to what's actually inside, part of me says "how complicated can it be?"

There's a whole bunch of Quadrasteer people that are interested in seeing this happen.

I'd imagine it functions exactly the same as the front steering angle sensor. It looks to be about the same diameter, except the front sensor has a though-hole for the steering shaft. GM is notorious for sharing parts. I think it'd be worth it to see if the cases could be swapped.