Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Played as Assimilators who got curb stomped by a ravening horde next door by like year 30. Clearly the influence of unstable, illogical organics was holding me back, as now my Exterminators are the dominant galactic force until the FEs wake up.

Wish there were a summary page that showed all the modifiers impacting my empire. Between being an exterminator, supremacy traditions, fleet academy / battle simulator, and other sources I have no idea what my fire rate bonus is.

Hover over a particular ship in a fleet and it'll show you all modifiers impacting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Demiurge4 posted:

It's not that bad. I've been exponentially expanding like crazy by getting robot modding early and keeping a bunch of templates around for whatever I build them on.

Grab synergy early for 33% faster robots and you can go pretty crazy on growth.

Yeah, once you get robomodding you should have at least three templates: Your base, and two others to cover the specializations your base model doesn't cover. I started with a science AI and developed Excavators and Generators. I was able to knock the luxury build off my base model and put Mass-Produced on the extra models as well, so initial settlement is a flurry of (relatively) rapid growth, followed by the glamorous nerdbots leisurely setting up.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Milky Moor posted:

Good luck "breaking the deadlock" when you pay 100 minerals per pop. Good luck building equal fleet strength + 1000 when every pop you build is one station or one corvette or an improvement or... You turtle up, you just get out-expanded. You get out-expanded, your robot bonuses don't matter because they'll just have enough of a disparity that a 15% damage bonus just means you die slightly slower.

A 'Driven Exterminator' should be able to do more exterminating than sitting around, quietly expanding and hoping your neighbours don't get ahead of you (and/or band up to kill you, form defensive pacts to make wars even harder, and so on).

Maybe when you picked the non-diplomacy race you should have been prepared for other people to use diplomacy as a weapon. I was at war with my neighbors until we found the bloodcourt south of us, now we're Presenting a United Front (Federation name).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People completely loving up basic arithmetic and then doubling down when corrected are my favourite

Dyscalculia is a heck of a thing, friend.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Good luck "breaking the deadlock" when you pay 100 minerals per pop. Good luck building equal fleet strength + 1000 when every pop you build is one station or one corvette or an improvement or... You turtle up, you just get out-expanded. You get out-expanded, your robot bonuses don't matter because they'll just have enough of a disparity that a 15% damage bonus just means you die slightly slower.

A 'Driven Exterminator' should be able to do more exterminating than sitting around, quietly expanding and hoping your neighbours don't get ahead of you (and/or band up to kill you, form defensive pacts to make wars even harder, and so on).

I don't know man, I'm a few decades into my determined exterminators and have annihilated two empires already (as well as sitting at the top of the empire dogpile). Of course I took bonuses to minerals, but then if you're wanting to play aggressive then that's kinda a requirement not matter what you're playing as. :shrug:

Edit: Also remember that food tiles can be used for other things if you're playing a robot only civ. I usually put down mines until later when I might want more unity/research.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you know you're extremely bad at arithmetic and someone else has wildly different figures then assuming you're correct is even more mind boggling tbh

Anyway, bug report:

Have the Automated Dreadnought in my fleet, I got it when I had hyperdrive III. Upgraded the rest of my fleet to jump drives and it continues to travel with them (fine), but it applies the 50% travel bonus from HD III to the Jump calculation.

This would be great but it's meaning my troop transports get left behind

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Bow before the best machines that will ever be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Playstation 4 posted:

i'm the mass drivers

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

I thought their homeworld was Spacestation 13. :butt:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Playstation 4 posted:

The Tingleverse manifest. I assume you will be pounded.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

i'm the mass drivers

More like rear end DRIVERS

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
M'rear end driver

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:allears: You probably should post all of your races one day, PS4.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why does picking a portrait added by a mod set the available trait points to 0? Picking a default one and it works fine. How the hell is that related? Picking a humanoid modded portrait and the traits are 0 even for the non-mod humanoid portraits until I pick a random portrait in another category and then change back but the modded one(s) still doesn't work. Why is the trait points tied to the loving portrait in one specific normal rear end category? :psyduck:

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 22, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
One thing I think the game really needs is the ability to retire and have an animated territory map ala Alpha Centauri

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are my fleets not supposed to be able to attack mining stations of people I'm at war with anymore? They fly right up to them and the action says 'attacking', but they never actually start firing or enter into combat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

are my fleets not supposed to be able to attack mining stations of people I'm at war with anymore? They fly right up to them and the action says 'attacking', but they never actually start firing or enter into combat.

I seem to remember something about changing them because they're basically fleet fly paper at present.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I seem to remember something about changing them because they're basically fleet fly paper at present.

I figured it out, had to set my fleet stance to aggressive to get them to engage.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Playstation 4 posted:

Rouge servitor indeed.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Why does picking a portrait added by a mod set the available trait points to 0? Picking a default one and it works fine. How the hell is that related? Picking a humanoid modded portrait and the traits are 0 even for the non-mod humanoid portraits until I pick a random portrait in another category and then change back but the modded one(s) still doesn't work. Why is the trait points tied to the loving portrait in one specific normal rear end category? :psyduck:

Trait points and categories are now added in the species class definition files, almost certainly to deal with the different amount of traits machine races get access to. But this complicates things for portrait modders since they have to manually add those values to their own subcategories.

To make things worse, you also have to add them either to a copy of the master traits list or generate an alternative list just for them; I've managed to get it working with a portrait set I've been playing with, but so far my attempts to get more than one working haven't uh... worked.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, doing this solution with separate copies of the traits file causes a weird annoyance where you'll have to reselect your traits before every game.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 22, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know how you get the Machine Template System technology required for the Synthetic Age ascension perk? Guessing i need a nerdbot with a certain trait in the research somewhere.

Nobody knows yet?
I really dislike the trait pre-requisite for research system, it would be good if the game hinted somehow at which trait you needed, but it's just "lol you better just guess!"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man why is the cooldown on warp travel so long? It makes wars impossible and just the most annoying thing

back to hyperlanes I guess yeesh

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MShadowy posted:

Trait points and categories are now added in the species class definition files, almost certainly to deal with the different amount of traits machine races get access to. But this complicates things for portrait modders since they have to manually add those values to their own subcategories.

To make things worse, you also have to add them either to a copy of the master traits list or generate an alternative list just for them; I've managed to get it working with a portrait set I've been playing with, but so far my attempts to get more than one working haven't uh... worked.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, doing this solution with separate copies of the traits file causes a weird annoyance where you'll have to reselect your traits before every game.
Thanks for explaining. Who thought it was good idea to break every single species mod in the workshop in a way that's a pain to fix for the modders (which ensures that most, which aren't just abandoned completely, will never be fixed)? :psyduck:

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Are there any races/builds that are recommended for new players or should I just gently caress around with whatever? I wanted to make a diplomatic plant race.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Man why is the cooldown on warp travel so long? It makes wars impossible and just the most annoying thing

back to hyperlanes I guess yeesh

Hyperlanes are hands down the best; the only mod I'm currently using restricts everything in the game to hyperlanes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793526440 (Stellaris says it doesn't kill your chance for achievements if that's something important to anyone).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RobotDogPolice posted:

Are there any races/builds that are recommended for new players or should I just gently caress around with whatever? I wanted to make a diplomatic plant race.
I'm no expert but if you pick the Charismatic trait and some form of Xenophile ethics you'll be fine. Probably. Until some crazed bird hive mind attempts to eat you.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

RobotDogPolice posted:

I would steer clear of fanatical purifiers/determined exterminators; except for the exterminators, you're going to be on your own the entire game due to everyone hating your guts (and even other machine empires will get angry at exterminators eventually). Slavers are a challenge in terms of juggling unrest/pop management. Everything else though is fine to start as.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

I can't reproduce it internally, chances are you're experiencing a temporary glitch or it's been fixed already.

Libluini posted:

Welp, in about 7 hours I'm back from work. I'll test this again then.

So, I'm back now and looked my save up again. "Identity Sublimation" as a living standard is indeed greyed out now. Seem to be whatever this was, it has resolved itself. Onward to freeing all people of this galaxy from their weak flesh!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BadOptics posted:

I would steer clear of fanatical purifiers/determined exterminators; except for the exterminators, you're going to be on your own the entire game due to everyone hating your guts (and even other machine empires will get angry at exterminators eventually).

This. Playing the super purgey variants just makes everyone super eager to team up on you, which will gently caress you up if you don't know what you're doing.

Purifier types are also kind of a trap pick if you have Leviathans, not having access to the Merchant Enclaves makes the game way, way harder, and the bonuses you get from it don't come close to evening that out. That's without even getting into the science and growth/happiness bonuses you have to forgo.

In related news, I love how the Inward Perfection civic works now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

This. Playing the super purgey variants just makes everyone super eager to team up on you, which will gently caress you up if you don't know what you're doing.

Purifier types are also kind of a trap pick if you have Leviathans, not having access to the Merchant Enclaves makes the game way, way harder, and the bonuses you get from it don't come close to evening that out. That's without even getting into the science and growth/happiness bonuses you have to forgo.

In related news, I love how the Inward Perfection civic works now.

You can and should blow up enclaves as a no-diplo kind of species as soon as you are powerful enough to manage it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like regardless of what they pick in species selection, determined exterminators should start on a tomb world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can and should blow up enclaves as a no-diplo kind of species as soon as you are powerful enough to manage it.

Definitely, but the rewards for doing so aren't really any good, you're just denying them to the enemy really.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like regardless of what they pick in species selection, determined exterminators should start on a tomb world.

:same:

It's not like machine empires care about habitability; your initial planet choice is more to steer your initial resource composition.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's a mod for that, of course. Which is good, as the last mods that allowed such were with base level Stellaris, years ago now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1113793938

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So are missile weapons worth it now?

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Both times I've started this game as materialists I've got the 'Fist of God' event chain, which involves hunting down and destroying god-botherers. At the same time however the 'Shrine to the Old Gods' event chain has come up, so my science ships are flying around proving gods actually exist, whilst my warships are ruthlessly persecuting anyone who believes in them. Am I the bad guy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Both times I've started this game as materialists I've got the 'Fist of God' event chain, which involves hunting down and destroying god-botherers. At the same time however the 'Shrine to the Old Gods' event chain has come up, so my science ships are flying around proving gods actually exist, whilst my warships are ruthlessly persecuting anyone who believes in them. Am I the bad guy?

I feel like it's just an accelerated form of why you should shoot missionaries on sight.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Axetrain posted:

So are missile weapons worth it now?

I've been using them and so far they feel a lot better.

Edit: I'm sure someone is dissecting the code and crunching numbers to figure out if they really are good to take now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I've given two species the infinite expanse of the stars only to a decade later explain very firmly that actually they'd be better off if they stayed home and watched television. Rogue Servitors own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bloodly posted:

There's a mod for that, of course. Which is good, as the last mods that allowed such were with base level Stellaris, years ago now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1113793938

Huh. Makes me think a cute 'extra difficulty' alt-start mod would be something where you start with a few pops on a 'desert' terraformed Mars, and Earth is a tomb world.

• Locked thread