Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

packetmantis posted:

My family is Latvian, and it looks like there's one sad, drunk, potato-eating rear end in a top hat in HEY GAIL's map. :cool:
doot doot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Livonia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elyv posted:

Did the people from the non-Germanic areas know some variety of German going in, or would they just pick up what they needed to know along the way?

I have an absolute fuckton of German and German-ish ancestors and ancestral relatives who infested Baltic trade ports.

One of the very last ones in Danzig who eventually booked it from the advancing Red Army wrote a letter we have somewhere bitching about how that loving Austrian (that bit is more or less verbatim) with the silly mustache was loving up the really good thing he had going [milking the Polish import export market].

Edit: technically that dude is a cousin of some flavor, my most recent ancestor to immigrate was in like 1910

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Were bassists considered off limits or something

poo poo yeah they are when there's drummers to be shot

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ghetto Prince posted:

2. Why do random Scots show up in every European war?

The Scots sure are a contentions people.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have an absolute fuckton of German and German-ish ancestors and ancestral relatives who infested Baltic trade ports.
the shores of the baltic are absolutely "central european," just look at the architecture. (my rule of thumb is: those weird little dome things = central europe)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAIL posted:

the shores of the baltic are absolutely "central european," just look at the architecture. (my rule of thumb is: those weird little dome things = central europe)

It was a plot point in Russian history. Anna I Ivanovna, Empress of All the Russias and Protector of Whoever We Have Liberated From The Poles This Week, was Duchess of Kurland for twenty years from the death of her husband (two weeks after the wedding) until her ascension, whereupon she brought enough Germans to the imperial court that it annoyed the Russian nobility.

One of my ancestral cousins was made a senior customs nerd in Ventspils (?) during her tenure as Duchess. :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of my ancestral cousins was made a senior customs nerd in Ventspils (?) during her tenure as Duchess. :3:
Ye Old Goone

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, keep in mind the formations were there to maintain control of troops and keep them together to assault/repel assaults. They didn't have radios and had a lot less trust that men wouldn't just disappear back then, so command required men to stay formed. In reality, firing drills were more to make men shoot faster and not have them shoot at things way outside their range(though they did this anyway quite often).

It's also super easy to hit something as a lone infantryman if your target is a vast mass of troops compared to one guy behind cover, especially with a musket as a weapon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAIL posted:

Most of the areas here that today do not speak German would have spoken german then. The Baltic coastal cities, Silesia. Many of the areas in Bohemia that these guys come from are German speaking, like Prague and Znaim. Everyone else? Probably would've picked it up.

Even in Swedish (Finnish) towns of any importance like Wiborg or Åbo you'd find German merchant and tradesman families, and noble families would often have relations all over the place. E.g. Mannerheim's ancestor came from the Netherlands in the 17th century. But even the naked peasants would have quickly picked up some form of pidgin even if they weren't going to pen poetry with it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Since the Aleutians came up (somewhat) recently, I here's a cool photo I found on wwiiafterwii of Kingfishers removing via truck to discreet locations in advance of the Japanese. The confluence of land, air, and sea transportation, all brought together in absurd mishmash due to military exigency... :kiss:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 23, 2017

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Ghetto Prince posted:

2. Why do random Scots show up in every European war?

There was massive Scottish emigration to the Baltic region, and then through Poland and Prussia as a whole, through the 16th and 17th century. You still find Poles with surnames like Gawin and Machlejd as a result.
A lot of them were well-established merchants (Warsaw had a Scottish mayor in the late 17thc), but lower class Scots would act more like pedlars, carrying packs of goods through the countryside. It's no big step to see these guys drifting into mercenary work.

It makes sense that Hegel's guy would be from Aberdeen, as that seems to be where most of the emigration originates. The only really surprising thing is that he ended up so west.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

There was massive Scottish emigration to the Baltic region, and then through Poland and Prussia as a whole, through the 16th and 17th century. You still find Poles with surnames like Gawin and Machlejd as a result.
A lot of them were well-established merchants (Warsaw had a Scottish mayor in the late 17thc), but lower class Scots would act more like pedlars, carrying packs of goods through the countryside. It's no big step to see these guys drifting into mercenary work.

It makes sense that Hegel's guy would be from Aberdeen, as that seems to be where most of the emigration originates. The only really surprising thing is that he ended up so west.
I think he came directly to Germany for mercenary work. There were a bunch of English and Scots in Bautzen fighting for the Lusatians, then Saxony beat them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Lone Badger posted:

Simplifying weapon manufacture: a bad thing.

No, you see, they simplified it because Soviet industry was lovely (three stone mallets and a drunk pig) to produce the German Uber AK, so the perfect slave German design had to be dumbed down for the Russians to be able to make it. A real country (not communist or Russian) would have been able to make the unadulterated version!

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Mr Enderby posted:

There were quite a few Scottish mercenaries in the Swedish armies from the late 1500's onward. A friend of mine is writing their Ph.D thesis on them and listed these as some of the sources he is using if anyone is interested:
Alexia N.L.Grosjean: Scots and the Swedish State, Diplomacy, Military Service and Ennoblement 1611-1660, (1993, Aberdeen) (Ph.D Thesis)
TH. A. Fischer: The Scots in Sweden (1907, Edinburgh)
James A. Fallon: Scottish Mercenaries in the service of Denmark and Sweden 1626-1632 (1972, Glasgow) (Ph.D Thesis)

Quite a few of them ended up in Finland also, some families still have a surviving Finnish or Swedish branch.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

No, you see, they simplified it because Soviet industry was lovely (three stone mallets and a drunk pig) to produce the German Uber AK, so the perfect slave German design had to be dumbed down for the Russians to be able to make it. A real country (not communist or Russian) would have been able to make the unadulterated version!

It's always fun when people think that straining the limits of industry needlessly is a good thing for a design. They'd probably hate to hear about the MP40.

Okay wait the Germans have restored their typical brand of horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6dR3oZ0WbI

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

xthetenth posted:

It's always fun when people think that straining the limits of industry needlessly is a good thing for a design. They'd probably hate to hear about the MP40.

Okay wait the Germans have restored their typical brand of horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6dR3oZ0WbI

Sorry but this is extremely cool.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tevery Best posted:

Sorry but this is extremely cool.

Cool yes. Practical or elegant design? Ha ha ha no.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

There were quite a few Scottish mercenaries in the Swedish armies from the late 1500's onward. A friend of mine is writing their Ph.D thesis on them and listed these as some of the sources he is using if anyone is interested:
Alexia N.L.Grosjean: Scots and the Swedish State, Diplomacy, Military Service and Ennoblement 1611-1660, (1993, Aberdeen) (Ph.D Thesis)
TH. A. Fischer: The Scots in Sweden (1907, Edinburgh)
James A. Fallon: Scottish Mercenaries in the service of Denmark and Sweden 1626-1632 (1972, Glasgow) (Ph.D Thesis)

Quite a few of them ended up in Finland also, some families still have a surviving Finnish or Swedish branch.
I cite Fallon in my diss, cool

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

xthetenth posted:

This one has a bit in the manual about "cenobites" as a possible malfunction during operation:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

aphid_licker posted:

This one has a bit in the manual about "cenobites" as a possible malfunction during operation:

among gun enthusiasts this is called "kraut space magic"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
loving GERMANS, GOD

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We know what we like and that happens to be fiddly bits

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
*adds a dozen pointless retaining screws to an already overly complex design*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

loving GERMANS, GOD

-Any of my Admirals

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Polikarpov posted:

*lovingly adds a dozen pointless retaining screws to an already overly complex design*

ftfy

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I just found out the following
"Today Edward VII’s sex chair still survives, and is currently held by a private collector who claims that it is still used for it’s purpose. A replica of the chair is on display at the Museum of Sex in Prague."
Someone is still loving on a sex chair made for the son of Queen Victoria. :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Of course that dude had a sex chair.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How would a chair be specifically for sex

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lol

quote:

Soon after his arrival, fellow officers arranged for an actress named Nellie Clifden to be smuggled into his quarters. In his diary for 1861, the young Prince made the following entries:

September 6, NC First time

September 9, NC Second time

September 10, NC Third time

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 24, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Night10194 posted:

as a connoisseur of sex furniture I

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

The Chair

In Operation

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Complete with tophat, of course.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GAIL posted:

that's what you do in the early 17th century if you want to launch a really big foraging raid, put an infantry on the back of each cav's horse and punch into a territory :buddy:

Why did it work in your era and not his :thunk:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

SeanBeansShako posted:

Of course that dude had a sex chair.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh God, the eyes

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think someone mentioned "young" somewhere in there, though I could see how a dude if his girth could find the "chair" useful.

Also, that museum in Prague was boring, better go to the communism museum.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The Chair

In Operation

Mannequin fetish?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
ZIK-7 and other SU-76 alternatives

Queue: SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Medium Tank M3, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks
T-70B
Schmeisser's work in the USSR NEW
Why the AK-47 couldn't have been a clone of the Stg.44 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
PIAT
Lee and Grant tanks in British service NEW

:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
PzII Ausf. J
VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

:france:
SAu 40 and other medium SPGs NEW

:sweden:
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The Chair

In Operation

The real power move is to invite a lady over while owning no other piece of furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well except the hat stand for the hats you wear.