Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so what happens if someone scrapes off the crunk and uses it to make a zygote does it skip a few steps in succession for the throne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

We'll just have to hope that the biological mother that carries it to term is Roman Catholic, thus preventing a disputed line of secession.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well except the hat stand for the hats you wear.

I can't stop laughing about the motherfucker wearing a top hat while boning in his gently caress chair

that is a proper rodgering

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

We'll just have to hope that the biological mother that carries it to term is Roman Catholic, thus preventing a disputed line of secession.

If only it were George V, this would be the perfect set-up for a Confederacy joke. Alas, no Edwardia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why did it work in your era and not his :thunk:
this is a raid-only tactic. i'm not sure what voltigeurs were supposed to do tactically once they got off the horse, whereas once the infantry in my scenario dismount you've got twice the guys to menace civilians with

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
am i the only person here who would put the REPLICA in his fuckroom and the ORIGINAL in a museum? that poo poo's a priceless antique, you could damage it

mad about sex furniture itt, poo poo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAIL posted:

this is a raid-only tactic. i'm not sure what voltigeurs were supposed to do tactically once they got off the horse, whereas once the infantry in my scenario dismount you've got twice the guys to menace civilians with

I like to image they happily scurry into the brush together and build a nest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JcDent posted:

I think someone mentioned "young" somewhere in there, though I could see how a dude if his girth could find the "chair" useful.

Also, that museum in Prague was boring, better go to the communism museum.

The communism museum had such garish right-wing propaganda posters around prague that I refused to go there when I was visiting the place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like to image they happily scurry into the brush together and build a nest.

I got confused and thought this was still chat about the sex chair.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I can't say about the posters, but it was definitely better than sex museum.

And we can agree that while tenets of the left are good, the implementation by various soviet states were less than stellar.

The worst thing was still the WWI exhibit in the Czech Army Museum. You know how the WWII exhibit has all of the star guns of WWII, down to a Goliath? Well, WWI has every drat bolt action rifle of WWI and they all look the same. Also, the English in the descriptions is quite shoddy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

JcDent posted:

And we can agree that while tenets of the left are good, the implementation by various soviet states were less than stellar.

The worst thing was still the WWI exhibit in the Czech Army Museum. You know how the WWII exhibit has all of the star guns of WWII, down to a Goliath? Well, WWI has every drat bolt action rifle of WWI and they all look the same. Also, the English in the descriptions is quite shoddy.

Reminds me of the gun museum they have at the Winchester Mystery House.

OH BOY
5000 LEVER/PUMP ACTION RIFLES THAT ALL LOOK THE SAME

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAIL posted:

am i the only person here who would put the REPLICA in his fuckroom and the ORIGINAL in a museum? that poo poo's a priceless antique, you could damage it

If you're rich old school rich, 'priceless antique' and 'furniture' have identical meanings.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Some tenets of the left. I'd rather not base my entire life on what some academic of the 1840s had to say about his times.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAIL posted:

But the thrill of knowing your genitals have brushed against the same furniture as royalty... Indescribable.

AMA about being banned from Buckingham Palace.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

I'd rather base my entire life on what some rear end in a top hat of the 1640s had to say about his times.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Lol just lol if you're not both intrigued and excited by the difference between an M1939 Mosin carbine and an M1944 Mosin carbine.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

HEY GAIL posted:

Some tenets of the left. I'd rather not base my entire life on what some academic of the 1840s had to say about his times.

I consider myself an orthodox marxist in that I refuse to to read anything on economics & politics that does not feature incredibly baroque owns

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I consider myself an orthodox marxist in that I refuse to to read anything on economics & politics that does not feature incredibly baroque owns

Baroque owns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5n1tWLFCEw

Baroque owns!
Henry Purcell: literally the greatest Engish composer
E: the burps and farts are part of the score.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

off by only 11 years, impressive

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yes, the baroque owns

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4dl6sHBDio

thread appropriate

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
IT'S ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwU37osOkQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_4A5YUY_k

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think it says a lot about how much of a big deal England was that when the continent was producing martial music, we were churning out songs about farting competitions and dick jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6f7E9ulP_c

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTjksYe2KvI

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

don't step to me, i can do this all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelrp8bw38k

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

don't step to me, i can do this all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelrp8bw38k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKITJ83KOwM

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjScoEz1b0g

BRING IT

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlwCTOuTSs

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2S_nbmFp-A

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
jenkins is a deep cut but not that deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh9yFaECCuA

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGioEyoGPY

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
you know what i'm posting

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

his times? it still seems like the fundamentals of pretty much everything marx lays out still applies though

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GAIL posted:

they were supposed to go off in the bushes and shoot at the other guys' infantry / skirmishers

they realized that since the voltigeurs were supposed to screen the infantry that having them move a lot faster than the infantry did not have that much value other than tiring out horses.

A couple pages back there was a discussion of open order fighting and it was kind of correct but not really. I'll explain below what the British did and what the French did because that's what I am most familiar with.

Primary Differences
The British used a dedicated Light Company, which took the second position of precedence in the Battalion (farthest Left flank) opposite the Grenadier company (farthest Right flank). This company was the same size as the others in the Battalion and armed in the same fashion, so for a musket-armed regiment the Light Company used muskets, and for a Rifle regiment the light company would use rifles. All foot battalions had a light company, but of course quality varied a bit. Rifle regiments and some Light Foot regiments were trained to fight in open order in a similar way to French chasseurs a pied. I suspect that the organization of the standard foot battalions had to do with the fact that the British Army was frequently engaged in colonial wars where a battalion or two of British soldiers would form the nucleus of an army of native allies, and thus would have to be relatively self-sufficient in all phases of battle.

The French did approximately the same, but were much more aggressive about detaching a whole lot of Voltigeur companies at the same time in to a single large scratch battalion of Voltigeurs which would then be used to cover a column of battalions advance. There were also chasseurs a pied which were light infantry trained to fight in open order. Lastly, the Guard had entire Voltigeur and Chasseur a pied battalions that were expressly intended to cover the advance of Guard line infantry.

Traits of an Open Order Skirmisher
Both armies viewed skirmishers as an elite force, but less reliable than Grenadiers, the other elite of Napoleonic infantry. A skirmisher was chosen for initiative, discipline individual bravery, and marksmanship. Both sides controlled their skirmishers via bugles and whistles rather than drums as used for line infantry. Skirmishers typically fought in pairs.

On Defense
The skirmishing company deploys in front of the battalion frontage, probably about 150-200 yds assuming no cavalry in the neighborhood. They try to take any sort of advantageous tactical terrain - trees, houses, hillocks, etc. If there's cavalry around, they deploy closer to the first rank of the battalion. As the enemy advances, they engage first the enemy's own skirmishers (assuming they are deployed), and then engage the main body of the enemy advance. In general, they are supposed to be trying to shoot people who matter (NCOs, officers, etc) but really they're just trying to disrupt the enemy's skirmishers to drive them in on the advancing battalion, and then disrupt the battalion with harassing fire to make the enemy lose step and become disorganized. Immediately before the enemy battalion advances to a point where it's time for volleys of musketry, the light company falls back and takes its place in the defensive battalion line of companies on the far left.

En Avant
You can basically read the above backwards. The skirmishing company deploys in front of the battalion in column, probably about 100-150 yds in front assuming no cavalry in neighborhood. They try to engage the defensive battalion's skirmishers to drive them in on the defensive battalion's front. They fight with the enemy's skirmishers over important tactical terrain. If successful, they are able to engage the enemy's line, targeting officers, NCOs, etc. The line will either a) waste time and energy and fire on skirmishers who are very hard to kill, or b) take their punishment as they wait for the attacking battalion to close. Once the attacking battalion closes up, the light company takes its place in line or possibly column and joins the main attack.

When Cav Shows Up
If you're far away from the battalion, you are not in a good way and chances are you done hosed up. Options are: Try to form a company square and pray your own cavalry shows up. Sometimes works, sometimes not - depends on how dispersed your troops are. You can also try to fall back on terrain that's impassable to cavalry, but that only works if you find terrain that's impassable to cavalry. Skirmishers in open order without the protection of their battalion or own cavalry get absolutely eaten up by any kind of cavalry.

If you're close to the battalion, you fall back on the battalion and form square when the battalion forms square. This is the best option.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

This one has a bit in the manual about "cenobites" as a possible malfunction during operation:

That's the most impractical Swiss army knife I've ever seen.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kanine posted:

his times? it still seems like the fundamentals of pretty much everything marx lays out still applies though
"Humans actualize their species-being through labor: making objects. When they work on an assembly line they are alienated from their labor because they can't see and feel the finished product; they are also alienated because they are forced to create things they don't want to create. This means they are deprived of the ability to think of themselves as the authors of their own destinies and estranged from their authentic humanity" isn't an economic analysis, it's a spiritual one.

And why hasn't capitalist society invariably given way to the dictatorship of the proletariat? Like the second coming, it's been just around the corner for 160 years.

Edit: not to mention that according to his analysis a several-hundred-thousand a year finance analyst is also a proletarian, while a bodega owner is bourgeois.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 25, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

No that's pretty much all wrong.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Take it to D&D folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
No fighting in the war thread!