Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

REC709 for HD, REC2020 for UHD.

Digital Cinema is DCI-P3, but REC2020 is comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Don Lapre posted:

I got mine for $2600 and made a $500 claim to citi so net $2100 for my 65" c7p

Where do deals like that come up? And where did you then see it for $500 less? I've tried to price match stuff with Chase and if the item is out of stock, they don't do it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingKapalone posted:

Where do deals like that come up? And where did you then see it for $500 less? I've tried to price match stuff with Chase and if the item is out of stock, they don't do it.

You need to call companies. They cant advertise the prices. Beach Camera is a big one, or message cleveland plasma on avsforum. They will give you a good deal. Then you can use the scam sites like joesAV or cliffsdeals and do price protection with citi or chase or discover.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's crazy cc companies will let you price match to known scammers. That can't last forever I'm sure as it's just a money sink for them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Per my Chase card.

I need to figure out how to use this.

quote:

Price Protection is a credit card benefit that helps you get the best price on purchases you've made in the US using your Chase card. If you buy a product with your card in the US and you see it advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed for the price difference, up to $500 per item with a maximum of $2,500 per year

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

REC709 for HD, REC2020 for UHD.

Digital Cinema is DCI-P3, but REC2020 is comparable.

Those are the color space definitions, which can be thought of as defined as triangles within the total color space.

But to answer GuyGizmo's question, the colors are still made by combining R, G, B light (some displays including LG OLEDs and Samsung QLED also have white emitters).

Two things are improved technologically with HDR and Wide Color Gamut. One is that the R, G, and B emitters are more precisely emitting each wavelength, without smearing out. This allows a larger percentage of the color space to be covered.

The other thing is the total range of brightnesses that can be emitted. If you combine the range of colors, the color space, with the range of different brightnesses, you can imagine the combination as a color volume.

By being able to reproduce a larger percentage of the color volume humans can perceive, these new TVs can create an image that is more vivid and more realistic, and which keeps up with the state of the art in theater projection technologies.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/color-volume-hdr-dci-p3-and-rec-2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don Lapre posted:

You need to call companies. They cant advertise the prices. Beach Camera is a big one, or message cleveland plasma on avsforum. They will give you a good deal. Then you can use the scam sites like joesAV or cliffsdeals and do price protection with citi or chase or discover.

Is shipping really $100 on Cleveland Plasma?

Got a price quote from them today on an OLED65C7P for $2525.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

Is shipping really $100 on Cleveland Plasma?

Got a price quote from them today on an OLED65C7P for $2525.

I paid $2600 with no shipping charge. $2525 is a great price. Came fedex in a couple of days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wish that "colors available to the human eye" thing was accurate for me.

I'm pretty sure my vision fits firmly within the REC709 colorspace with room to spare. :(

At least I can enjoy the highlight brightness of HDR.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I paid $2600 with no shipping charge. $2525 is a great price. Came fedex in a couple of days.

I told Chris I couldn't do more than $2300 and he said he'd do $2350 shipping included and no tax, so it looks like I'll be getting one as well!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I told Chris I couldn't do more than $2300 and he said he'd do $2350 shipping included and no tax, so it looks like I'll be getting one as well!

God drat good deal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What HDMI cables do you recommend? I'm guessing my 2-3 year old cables aren't going to do it anymore for 4k+HDR @ 60hz.

This work ok?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

What HDMI cables do you recommend? I'm guessing my 2-3 year old cables aren't going to do it anymore for 4k+HDR @ 60hz.

This work ok?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

All of my old cables worked fine, I would test things first before spending money on new cables.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

This is a great deal, congrats on doing something so many others in the thread just couldn't do (pick up the phone).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Even with the new update, my E6P still keeps doing the "occasionally going to completely black until I reboot it" thing on the PS4 Pro.

I know some people said to try switching HDMI cables, is there a recommended brand? Do I remember right that the amazon basics ones are good?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mass Drop has the 55 B7 for $1600 or 65 B7 for $2600

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-55-...ce=impactradius

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

GreenNight posted:

How are they able to sell these for so cheap and why would they? Never heard of them so not like they're pushing a lot of volume to make up for the lower margin.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

How are they able to sell these for so cheap and why would they? Never heard of them so not like they're pushing a lot of volume to make up for the lower margin.

Because now you've heard of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Chris is kind of an rear end in a top hat, he'll yell at you over the phone if you are mistaken about something. I don't care, got a good deal. I have no clue about calibration and I'm not spending any money so next weekend I'll be browsing rtings for general calibration settings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you don't have a meter, just leave the ISF settings at their default.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I wasn't going to change the crazy advanced settings. Just HDR stuff for different inputs. All I got right now is a 4K+HDR Roku, PS3, PC, and Dish box.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still just kicking tires but as I'm doing research here it seems the TVs I had picked out are all 60hz, which I dont want. Whats out there in 4K+65+"+120hz? I was leaning towards a Vizio E series but it seems they are 60hz, even one of the M series I looked at was.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Even with the new update, my E6P still keeps doing the "occasionally going to completely black until I reboot it" thing on the PS4 Pro.

I know some people said to try switching HDMI cables, is there a recommended brand? Do I remember right that the amazon basics ones are good?

It seems that a few things can cause this, bad HDMI cables being one (Mine is caused by a defective mainboard in my TV for which god willing I am finally about to get a replacement lined up after a month-long saga. Apparently it is a known issue with Samsung TVs). It turns out a lot of HDMI cables can't quite handle the 19Gb bandwidth necessary to carry 4k60fps10bit video. A few people here can probably recommend specific brands, but in general, shorter is always better because things get really hairy after about 5m. Precious few cables can handle the bandwidth at long distances and they're all hellaexpensive. Over shorter distances most of the most reputable brands should easily manage. Personally I want with a KabelDirekt TOP series in 1.5m flavour. (The fact that that didn't solve the flickering for me is what cemented my suspicion of the mainboard)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Still just kicking tires but as I'm doing research here it seems the TVs I had picked out are all 60hz, which I dont want. Whats out there in 4K+65+"+120hz? I was leaning towards a Vizio E series but it seems they are 60hz, even one of the M series I looked at was.

I don't remember if you had other constraints, but here are a few displays with 4k/65"/120 hz. I don't have any of these but they tend to get good reviews.

Vizio P series
Sony x900e
Samsung MU8000

LG's C7 OLED panels, if you can pony up the dough

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The interesting thing is, the 60hz M somehow passes the 24p judder test with rtings. I can only assume they are somehow pulling this trickery off with BFI.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ugh forget the OLED even those are too much right now unfortunately. The 55" versions of the Samsung and Sony are 1599 and 1999 right now. Money aside though from what I've read about OLED its out for me atm because motion is very important to me. How important is HDR? I would say for me clarity is more important that color when it comes to my picture. I want things to be sharp. I game here on PC so I'll only ever be watching hockey on whatever I buy, with the occasional movie and TV show thrown in. I guess I should "go to the store and look at them" but to me it seems you either get some lovely signal split to every TV or the super over produced test suite that nothing else will ever look as good as.

Anyone have a Vizio D series? I may settle for 60hz given some of the reviews I've read about the motion effects on some of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The D series is the bottom of the barrel on TV's man. At the minimum get the E series or a TCL.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I would think a Vizio D would still be head and shoulders above your RCA/Westinghouse/etc? But yeah I know, as time goes on though I keep lowering my standards as I itch to upgrade.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sometimes 60hz is the max refresh rate, but the TV can also operate at 48hz showing each frame twice for 24hz playback.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If that's indeed what it is doing, then there's no real reason to want 120hz unless you are a motion interpolation junkie.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

codo27 posted:

Ugh forget the OLED even those are too much right now unfortunately. The 55" versions of the Samsung and Sony are 1599 and 1999 right now.
Are you in Canada or something? The 55x900e is $1299 and the 55MU8000 is like $1100.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes I am in Canada and I am an interpolation junkie, I wouldn't watch anything without it anymore

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is there anything right about Canadians?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think if you dont like the motion interpolation you might as well go get an old black and white floor model and watch it connected with coax

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

codo27 posted:

I think if you dont like the motion interpolation you might as well go get an old black and white floor model and watch it connected with coax

You are objectively wrong and the people who make movies and tv shows hate you.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
the artificial smoothening poo poo is the absolute worst feature of new-ish TVs and I turn it off on all of them

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never watched that show nor do I care about it or its archaic creators. If you want to watch slow motion, thats fine. I prefer more natural, true-to-life motion

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's not natural at all, motion interpolation is inherently artificial and less "true to life". But whatever, your money and your TV you don't need our permission to run showroom settings and turn on all of the compensation features that manufacturers provide. Just don't defend it here, that poo poo sucks :)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

I've never watched that show nor do I care about it or its archaic creators. If you want to watch slow motion, thats fine. I prefer more natural, true-to-life motion

oh I get it

this is a good troll tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only people I know who have it on are the elderly. Are you an elderly?

When I get to power, all your kind will be first against the wall.

different tastes I guess, but it physically hurts my eyes because half the time it guesswork it does is horribly inaccurate and never looks right.