Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda will test it out in Japan for a year or two before rolling it out to the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
According to MT the Stinger GT is slower than both the four cylinder Camaro and the Focus ST on the Streets of Willow Springs track.

Granted, the track is pretty tight and the Stinger is definitely more on the GT side of things but that's fairly underwhelming.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

How does Mercedes compared to Audis offerings lately? Is the C43 any better than the S4? What about the C63?
The C43 and S4 are direct competitors. Most people seem to slightly prefer the S4's interior and I think the S4 is a tiny bit larger but deciding on one or the other will come down to personal preference.

The C63 is a whole other car altogether. You'd have to compare it to the RS5 coupe or sportback. The C63 has more power but is also heavier so 0-60 times are really close between the two. The RS5 is marketed as a GT (as opposed to the sports car marketing if the C63) and is the more "civilized" of the two.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mr. Apollo posted:

The C43 and S4 are direct competitors. Most people seem to slightly prefer the S4's interior and I think the S4 is a tiny bit larger but deciding on one or the other will come down to personal preference.

The C63 is a whole other car altogether. You'd have to compare it to the RS5 coupe or sportback. The C63 has more power but is also heavier so 0-60 times are really close between the two. The RS5 is marketed as a GT (as opposed to the sports car marketing if the C63) and is the more "civilized" of the two.
I sat in a C-series a few days ago and it seemed to have much more room for the driver. I had to tilt my head a bit in the A4 I sat in but the C-series had very generous head and legroom (I'm very tall so your mileage may vary - the smallest Audi car I seem to fit in is the A6).

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

According to MT the Stinger GT is slower than both the four cylinder Camaro and the Focus ST on the Streets of Willow Springs track.

Granted, the track is pretty tight and the Stinger is definitely more on the GT side of things but that's fairly underwhelming.

Yeah, that's been my general impression of the thing. Underwhelming. If they were charging ~$25k for the 4-cyl or $35k for the V6, I'd be onboard, but as of now they're charging too much for a car that's too slow without the cachet to justify.

Curious to see the level of commercial success.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah, that's been my general impression of the thing. Underwhelming. If they were charging ~$25k for the 4-cyl or $35k for the V6, I'd be onboard, but as of now they're charging too much for a car that's too slow without the cachet to justify.

Given Korean car depreciation, a 1-2 year old one will probably be dirt cheap at least.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Too slow? It's a sub 5-second 2-ton GT car. Who is looking at the Stinger and thinking "well gosh, if it was just a little faster around a race track I'd buy it."

I mean, I don't drive my car around a race track but boy howdy, I know that when I'm car shopping and always pick the car that would be fastest around a race track. Just in case.

We know the reason the Chevy SS didn't sell like hotcakes was because it was too slow.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CornHolio posted:

Given Korean car depreciation, a 1-2 year old one will probably be dirt cheap at least.

Seriously, don't buy a brand-new loving Kia. Wait for a 1 year old, off-lease CPO.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 26, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Too slow? It's a sub 5-second 2-ton GT car. Who is looking at the Stinger and thinking "well gosh, if it was just a little faster around a race track I'd buy it."

I mean, I don't drive my car around a race track but boy howdy, I know that when I'm car shopping and always pick the car that would be fastest around a race track. Just in case.

We know the reason the Chevy SS didn't sell like hotcakes was because it was too slow.

Yes, too slow for the as-yet unknown price IMHO. I keep wanting cheaper fast cars which won't really happen, it's a pipe dream. The Focus ST is a good compromise at $25k and it will beat this $35k GT.

There was a significant AI contingent asking for a cheaper Chevy SS without all the bullshit but still performance oriented and 4-door. Kind of like a Charger. Still probably wouldn't have sold, though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Yes, too slow for the as-yet unknown price IMHO. I keep wanting cheaper fast cars which won't really happen, it's a pipe dream. The Focus ST is a good compromise at $25k and it will beat this $35k GT.

There was a significant AI contingent asking for a cheaper Chevy SS without all the bullshit but still performance oriented and 4-door. Kind of like a Charger. Still probably wouldn't have sold, though.

The Focus ST will beat it how? Around a race track that 99.9% of owners will never think of, let alone go to? Don't buy an MX-5 then, it's too slow too.

If you're trying to say the Focus ST is more fun to drive or offers more bang for a buyer's buck, or no one will pay that much for a Kia, or that it's too heavy then that's fine. Saying "It's a failure because it's not as fast as a Focus ST around a race-track" is just bizarre.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Michael Scott posted:

The Stinger really does seem to want to compete with the Charger and maybe Taurus SHO for a performance-oriented family car. It's big and practical, with four doors and a liftback and available AWD, but is also reasonably quick and can be had with a manual transmission. It looks pretty good inside and out, too.

It's refreshing to see a company actually coming out with a car like that rather than another CUV. I hope they sell well. I'll probably test drive one but doubt I'd buy one - I'm happy enough in my Challenger.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

V6TT Sorrento would be amazing . I hope they do that as well.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The Focus ST will beat it how? Around a race track that 99.9% of owners will never think of, let alone go to? Don't buy an MX-5 then, it's too slow too.

I mean, I think 'too little power for the weight and price' is a perfectly valid criticism. Lots of people think the MX-5 is slow. It happens to be a great car, though, and a good value.

CornHolio posted:

The Stinger really does seem to want to compete with the Charger and maybe Taurus SHO for a performance-oriented family car. It's big and practical, with four doors and a liftback and available AWD, but is also reasonably quick and can be had with a manual transmission. It looks pretty good inside and out, too.

It's refreshing to see a company actually coming out with a car like that rather than another CUV. I hope they sell well. I'll probably test drive one but doubt I'd buy one - I'm happy enough in my Challenger.

I agree with all of this! I hope it sells well and others start following suit. I always forget about Taurus SHO.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/712962697/overview/

Yummy sedan depreciation. 365 HP 2013 SHO for $19k. drat if I didn't already have a car and live in a big city where I'd never get to use that power.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Somewhere between the 90s and now, everyone got hung up on their powertrain warranty. The GT86/MX5/whatever is too slow! So put a turbo on it ffs. I don't what to void my warranty! Stop being a baby, you want faster, make it faster.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Scott posted:

Do you mean the contingent that doesn't actually buy any of the cars they say they want?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
We're all poors, man.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not that surprising.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Michael Scott posted:

I agree with all of this! I hope it sells well and others start following suit. I always forget about Taurus SHO.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/712962697/overview/

Yummy sedan depreciation. 365 HP 2013 SHO for $19k. drat if I didn't already have a car and live in a big city where I'd never get to use that power.

My dad got an SHO new as a company car. They paid $40k for it, he retired and kept it. It's his winter beater now that he has a '16 Miata. Pretty good car though, in all honesty. My mom just got a Lexus SUV but my dad just can't part with the SHO.

Michael Scott posted:

We're all poors, man.

I make enough that I can try to create demand for what I want to see continue. I special-ordered a manual-transmission fully-loaded Fiesta and then Focus, and bought a nice manual-transmission Challenger R/T for myself. If the Charger was available with a manual I'd have had it, and if AWD would have been available with the manual I'd have had that.

If I made more it wouldn't be a Dodge but a BMW wagon with AWD and a manual, or however close I could get to that.

Most people that make the kind of money I make buy loving bullshit though. It's like, oh hey, nice Honda CR-V I guess, good on you or whatever. No I really don't even care to see it, guess I will out of politeness though.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 26, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It is really bizarre at the 'too slow' comments. Is it strictly a value thing?
"I can get x seconds of race track time for y money so that's a better car than a seconds for b money on this other car"
What's it like to live with? How unique is it? Does it air condition your balls? Does it sound good? How does it feel when digging into a corner?

How many of you guys plan on tracking this thing? I know I've said it before but I lead off the line in my sub-40 hp car next to Maybachs all the time and if that was a metric used to buy cars why I'd have the best value vehicle in the United States.
I switched from my 2013 Golf R to a 1990 Honda Acty for me daily driver and am way happier, and I really like the R. I know I'm atypical but if Kia didn't have Sorrento stink on it would you really buy a 4 cylinder Camaro over one based on track times alone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's not that surprising.

I'm not surprised but it's not doing anything to boost my confidence in Kia's ability to design and build a car that handles well.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not surprised but it's not doing anything to boost my confidence in Kia's ability to design and build a car that handles well.

literally every review I've seen of the car pegs it as a very good handling GT car. The streets of willow is a terrible track to judge a heavy comfortable GT car on. Its like complaining that a Miata can beat a corvette on some autocross courses.

Is a Tesla S P85 a slow bad handling car? because that only did .9s faster on the same track.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Do you mean the contingent that doesn't actually buy any of the cars they say they want?

I did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Pretty much. The SS isn't cheap but it's only a few grand more than an equivalent Camaro so I don't know what the world expected.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kill me now posted:

literally every review I've seen of the car pegs it as a very good handling GT car. The streets of willow is a terrible track to judge a heavy comfortable GT car on. Its like complaining that a Miata can beat a corvette on some autocross courses.

Is a Tesla S P85 a slow bad handling car? because that only did .9s faster on the same track.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow

track with a big weight penalty so I get that the stinger is gonna be penalized a bit, but the P85 is a lot heavier than the Stinger and turned in a significantly better time

We'll see, I'll probably go test drive one at some point but I'm coming to the realization that new cars are just not appealing to me anymore :corsair:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We'll see, I'll probably go test drive one at some point but I'm coming to the realization that new cars are just not appealing to me anymore :corsair:

This though, this is me. I'm getting old too I guess!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty much. The SS isn't cheap but it's only a few grand more than an equivalent Camaro so I don't know what the world expected.

They expected a good car (which it was), but also one with exciting styling and also cost the same as a Malibu somehow.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

david_a posted:

I sat in a C-series a few days ago and it seemed to have much more room for the driver. I had to tilt my head a bit in the A4 I sat in but the C-series had very generous head and legroom (I'm very tall so your mileage may vary - the smallest Audi car I seem to fit in is the A6).

I must live in the Bizzaro universe because I found my hair brushed the ceiling and the dash design made the C series feel too cosy. Made me feel like invading Poland.

A4 was comparatively cavernous. We're talking real lebensraum in the Audi.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I always through the problem with the SS was that it kind of looks like a Malibu that got overinflated.

And the price tag, lack of marketing, etc. I came close to buying one, though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smooth jazz posted:

I must live in the Bizzaro universe because I found my hair brushed the ceiling and the dash design made the C series feel too cosy. Made me feel like invading Poland.

A4 was comparatively cavernous. We're talking real lebensraum in the Audi.

Roger that, '17 A4 is slightly larger and lighter than the previous gen. Comfier than sitting in my apartment.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So the Stinger is a Korean Taurus SHO/Chevy SS? Fine with me.

Would be neat to see them really nail a smaller sporty car, though- sure it'll happen eventually.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

God, same. I don't care about any autonomous tech outside of cruise control - I don't want lane departure warnings, or automatic cruise control, or any of that stuff. I don't care about electric or hybrid vehicles. I don't want an automatic transmission. I'm OK with a decent touchscreen and GPS, but I kinda still want a CD player. I don't care about pairing my phone and getting awesome stuff through Android Auto or Apple Carplay (my phone doesn't support Android Auto anyway). I don't want a CUV or SUV.

I saw a Lincoln commercial the other day where they were touting this incredible new feature where when you lift your foot off of the brake, the car doesn't creep forward. You know, the feature automatic transmissions have that make it pretty easy to drive around at low speeds in parking lots or, if you're a bad driver, in traffic jams.

more and more, :corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Would be neat to see them really nail a smaller sporty car, though- sure it'll happen eventually.

They've (Kia/Hyundai as a pair) tried a few times, with the Tiburon then the Veloster then the Genesis coupe. I guess they were all halfway decent when they came out, weren't they?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 26, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm down in theory (no interest in practice) but I think the problem was that people thought it was going to be a Korean S4/340i for less money, which obviously isn't quite realistic.

CornHolio posted:

God, same. I don't care about any autonomous tech outside of cruise control - I don't want lane departure warnings, or automatic cruise control, or any of that stuff. I don't care about electric or hybrid vehicles. I don't want an automatic transmission. I'm OK with a decent touchscreen and GPS, but I kinda still want a CD player. I don't care about pairing my phone and getting awesome stuff through Android Auto or Apple Carplay (my phone doesn't support Android Auto anyway). I don't want a CUV or SUV.

I am currently driving a Renault Twingo SCe 70 S&S for the last two weeks. It has cruise control that I don't use. It has stop and start and a stupendously rubbery five speed manual with no tach which is fine. It has good visibility and a nice seating position and a nice steering wheel and can turn in a very small circle and the other day I got to rev my three cylinders of NA 990cc rear engine French fury at a Ferrari. I have to drive it at 6/10 to just keep up with traffic and I can drive it at 9/10 without anyone noticing. It is a good honest car that is unapologetically cheap. I really like it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I always through the problem with the SS was that it kind of looks like a Malibu that got overinflated.

And the price tag, lack of marketing, etc. I came close to buying one, though.

It was a holden commodore SS, they didn't copy the malibu styling, it was the newer AU version of what the pontiac whatever was, in 4dr. (as the coupe was dropped here a decade ago so it was 4dr or nothing .)
Pretty sure you got them cheaper than what AU sold the SS for; But the price was still high because I remember reading that GM could only sell 4-6k of them per year without breaking CAFE limits

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 26, 2017

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

track with a big weight penalty so I get that the stinger is gonna be penalized a bit, but the P85 is a lot heavier than the Stinger and turned in a significantly better time

It turned in a less than 1 second better time and has more horsepower and electric motor torque (very important coming out of slow corners).

I'm genuinely having trouble syncing up this page of the thread with all the very positive handling praise the car has gotten from the press so far. Has anyone read anything about this car not handling well that i'm missing? Or are we just going off a lap time on a small tight track not suited to the car? Did you guys actually watch the video where Pobst was real positive about the car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWQTkbTYIQ

CornHolio posted:

I saw a Lincoln commercial the other day where they were touting this incredible new feature where when you lift your foot off of the brake, the car doesn't creep forward. You know, the feature automatic transmissions have that make it pretty easy to drive around at low speeds in parking lots or, if you're a bad driver, in traffic jams.

Auto hold is a great feature. It holds the brakes while you are fully stopped so you don't have to. You can still auto creep the car with it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

Or are we just going off a lap time on a small tight track not suited to the car?

I like the comparison made to a Miata beating a Corvette on an autocross course. I went to an autocross event in a parking lot once and the dudes with suped up CRX's that were up on three wheels the entire time were doing the best. That's great and fun and all but they're not going to beat a Corvette around Cirque du Sarthe or anything. There are plenty of places where I imagine a Focus ST would be more fun to own than a Stinger GT, but who the gently caress is cross-shopping those two cars? I'm getting a Stinger because I need a mid-size sedan and I want a fast, RWD liftback (since no one will make me a wagon in that price range.) What are my other options that aren't overpriced German money pits? Also the latest scuttlebutt is that the base GT model in America will start around $37.5k, which is less than I was expecting. We'll see though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it seems like the Stinger is not M3-good (why would it at that price) but still actually very close to the E39 M5 time on the same track. It's not the best thing every but seems like a great option at the price range :shrug:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Feeling planted through curves is way different than going fast around a track or even balancing under/oversteer. motor trend has a 2016 m3 at .98 g and the kia at .85, for what it's worth.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kill me now posted:

I'm genuinely having trouble syncing up this page of the thread with all the very positive handling praise the car has gotten from the press so far. Has anyone read anything about this car not handling well that i'm missing? Or are we just going off a lap time on a small tight track not suited to the car? Did you guys actually watch the video where Pobst was real positive about the car?

Pobst said the Engine and Brakes were good and the suspension was soft. Which is probably fine, it's not a sports car, it's a "sporty" car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

And every auto journalist has said that supposedly the NA market cars will have a tighter suspension setup than the Korean market cars. That may help close the gap a little bit.

But regardless it sounds like a pretty nice sporty GT car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

big money big clit posted:

Pobst said the Engine and Brakes were good and the suspension was soft. Which is probably fine, it's not a sports car, it's a "sporty" car.

He also said its a car you buy because its fun to drive and makes you feel good behind the wheel. He said its soft for the track and hell if a car has good accurate steering, good brakes, and a good engine then a set of decent coil overs and a performance alignment will probably make it outstanding. Which is well within the early mod range of enthusiasts.

Also if you read the article

motortrend posted:

Capable though it may be from seat to steering, and despite testing it on the Nürburgring, Kia insists the Stinger GT isn’t a track car. We took it to a track anyway, and things got complicated. Kia’s press cars at the moment are all preproduction prototypes, and the first car they gave us suffered a power steering failure and had to be replaced. The second car, as it turns out, hadn’t yet had its U.S.-spec springs and dampers installed, and it exhibited considerably more body roll and understeer on the track than the first car. As a result, Randy posted a lap time—1:28.90—that he felt wasn’t representative of what the car could do. With a properly equipped car, Randy believes he could subtract a full second.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/stinger/2018/2018-kia-stinger-gt-first-test-review/

hifi posted:

Feeling planted through curves is way different than going fast around a track or even balancing under/oversteer. motor trend has a 2016 m3 at .98 g and the kia at .85, for what it's worth.

skidpad numbers say far more about vehicle weight and tire compound/size. The 2016 M3 comes with Pilot Super sports in 255/35/19 F and 275/35/19 R while the Stinger GT (at least the pre production one on my showroom floor) has Pilot Sport 4 (Not PS42) tires in 225/40/19 F and 255/35/19 R

The M3 is also a smaller lighter car so of course it has a higher skidpad number with sticker wider tires on it. Put sticky wide tires on a Stinger and it would be a lot closer.
If you compare it to what Kia is comparing it to like a 440i which C&D measured a .86g skidpad

Like Davebo said if you're in the market for a fun to drive RWD midsized sedan that doesn't cost BMW/Audi/Merc money and isn't Charger huge you've got slim pickings.