Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
EEEEHEHEHEHEHEEEHEHEEEE

((Suggested Ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHW3vynp1w ))

You cackle madly, fueled half by relief and half by a brace of draft beers and a fat line of betameth you reserve for special crises, celebrations or both. Escaping the waterways was a breeze as the other affinity groups made good on their promise, creating two flash mobs downtown that immediately started destroying storefronts and throwing molotovs at corporate surveillance drones. One even got in a running firefight with a helicopter sent to track you down, or so they say!

With the cold, surging power of the space age amphetamine/nootropic cocktail tingling your brain, you feel ready to take on the world, and sort of wished you had dosed before the run instead. No matter. You're laying your head in Onkel Dunkel, a fierce dive for shadowrunners, anarchist radicals and other mercenary dregs, with Otto the owner claiming he even holds a 'no extradition treaty' with HanSec. I suppose that's one way of saying the pigs wouldn't risk the massive casualties attacking the Hardorf barrens entails for anything less than bagging criminal nobility.

Olli, now in a markedly better mood after a phenobarb-neoflouroxetine shot and a couple of beers, explains that you have 600 nuyen and some hefty discounts on NA-affiliated criminal vendors to your name, as well as the enduring respect of the Neo-Anarchist faction.

You resist the urge to smack him. 600 is not enough for both a train ride out of town and a fake SIN good enough to fool German Alliance federal customs. The Neo-A's often dealt like this, because they too are often flat broke, but the favor system often meant slammin' deals on weapons, drones, various bleeding edge electronics and... augmentations. You lick your lips, feeling a jolt in your groin at the thought of getting some brainware or other slick chops. On the other hand, you could just go for some tech that was in high demand, flip it around and make more bread.

You decide to..

A) Negotiate with Olli for a better cut. You're no slouch at manipulating others, you can probably angle a good relation you have with Olli to your advantage, and your confidence is surging with chemical support!

B) Take the deal, then immediately head out to find and flip some gear.

C) Take the deal, then browse for stuff that will help you on the next job you're invariably going on to pay your way out of town.

D) Party your rear end in a top hat out, then sleep on it before you make a rash decision.

E) e: Attempt to go to sleep now.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C. Honestly, hanging out with the Neo-A's isn't the worst life, we get to kill Nazis and smash capitalism all day, and pick up some sweet augs while doing it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

D. There's no party like a post-run party.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Drop the bass and we'll feel better about the Anarchists lack of funds when we sober up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Drop the bass and we'll feel better about the Anarchists lack of funds when we sober up.

Just to be clear, this option can end up with Ette having less of his own money, gear and kidneys when he wakes up. On the other hand, it could end up with unexpected benefits. All options are viable in my CYOAs, though some are clearly more dangerous than others.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I also hope that the grammar of choice D gets interpreted in the worst way: not "sleep to prevent a rash decision", but "sleep so we're well-rested for our inevitable rash decision."

That said, A.

CONFIDENCE. :awesome:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

E. Go to bed now

Tias
May 25, 2008

Toughy posted:

E. Go to bed now

Added option E. It will require beating a couple addiction checks, but at this stage of addiction they're relatively easy to beat.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now is not the time for introspection, we should party until it gets weird

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D - Let's not break character.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

super sweet best pal posted:

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
C. I think it's time for an Attention Co-Processor. That way we can party and work at the same time - it'll be perfect!

We don't have a problem.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

But we do.

And the only solution is party rockin'.

D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's face it, we're a wired-up in every sense of the word cyberjunkie. Let's go gamble our kidneys. D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
More augments aren't a problem, they're a solution!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Going on a bender WINS! Update sometime this weekend, I'm going on a mini-vacay but I'll bring the computer.

Also, it seems that grizzled runner Ice Phisherman has been lured out of retirement, and has started another Shadowrun CYOA. This is big news people, his first Shadowrun CYOA here was one of the most interesting, creepy ones I've ever seen, and he's a great writer!

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 22, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, uh, my rear end exploded and I'm on 3 million units of pancellin a day. I'll probably update one of these days when my head clears. In the meantime, enjoy Ice Phishermans CYOA!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:stonk: feel better chum!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:staredog: drat man, stop dying.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yikes. Get well soon, don't let the CYOA curse get you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

((You must be new here :) All CYOAs I've written have updates derailed by the high-octane gypsy curse someone placed on my life.))

Woke

All is black. You come to very slowly, realizing that you're in a great deal of pain. Suddenly the light floods into your receptacle, as you roll sideways out of a trash container and onto the street. You retch, but nothing comes out. You're extremely hungover, and your jacket is gone, along with your commlink. Your purse, too, but you seem to recall sticking most of your payday on a secure account before starting the bender. Your eyes, nostrils and hair are full of cigarette ash, and you have cuts and burns on both arms. What the frag happened, here?

Having no ends on you, and no head able to pilot your bike even if you could scrounge access to the 'trix, you walk back to Onkel Dunkel, trying to call up some of your mates who live in Pinke Flora, a gearhead and party collective above the bar.
The skinlink on the door verifies your data, and you see the smiling face of Olli on the display.

"Ooo chummer, you're even more banged up than I thought. What do you want?"

"I lost my.. poo poo. Can you spare some soda and painkillers, and a spot on a couch?"

"No wonder. Can you even remember what happened last night?"

You stare at the display in a lost manner, then start to vomit blood.

later

"So you started saying how you knew karate and how the Young Wasteners were a poo poo band and should have their asses kicked, but they were standing right behind you when you did! Man, shoulda seen your face when they grabbed you! You know, you really could stand giving the booze and drugs a rest, seems like you change for the worse when you trip."

"Yeah.. *Gack* .. I guess" you reply, putting the last piece of your blackout together. After getting really blitzed, you started dancing on a table in this shelter for insane homeless, which amazingly didn't net you a beating, but then it was the bars, and apparently you threatened a gutterpunk band in order to ingratiate yourself with some girl who you don't even remember. Then the aggro started, and now you're a bit worse for wear. Still, you got your 600 Eurodollars, currently more or less the equivalent of 600 nuyen, minus the 29 you threw away on brain-melters at the various bars in Harburg.

You thought you were going to make a better decision now that you had slept on it, but it turns out you feel even less clear-headed now. You really just want to masturbate, cry and sleep a couple more days, but you're still a wanted queen.

You opt to..

A) ..Go to the Docs. You feel really bad, and vomiting blood could be something that requires fixing. It could be she can help you with your joneses, so you don't get so wasted in the future.

B) ..Get with Tino and Olli for a new job. You haven't taken anything but superficial wounds where the punks cut and burned you with cigarettes, you just need some meth and a nights sleep, maybe not in that order.

C) ..Take a break for some days, see your friends and catch up on rumors and jack in. You need all your edge when running, and you're just too fried to go on.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, vomiting blood is really not good. I'm afraid something got knocked loose inside, last thing we want is loose augs shaking around in our chest cavity.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. Blood is supposed to stay inside people right?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Blasphemaster posted:

Highly debatable.

But A, still. Maybe the docs need some help on the side that could turn out a few eurodollars into our pockets while they turn out more blood into our veins.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Blasphemaster posted:

If you want the people to stick around, sure.

We're hopefully one of the people we want to stick around. So yeah, A.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A
I'm just checking in.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A, is there an addiction cure in the grim dark future healthcare?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A, our blood is definitely meant to be inside

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Don't forget to ask the doc about which mods we should get to avoid this situation in the future.
Also, just what is our goal in NuYen?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Addictions are fine, it's vomiting blood we need to stop doing. You know what else we might also pick up visiting the docs?

An attention co-processor.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Are we sure that's blood? Whose?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Vavrek posted:

Addictions are fine, it's vomiting blood we need to stop doing. You know what else we might also pick up visiting the docs?

An attention co-processor.

I meant to mention that earlier but I got caught up in getting my gf home.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Don't forget to ask the doc about which mods we should get to avoid this situation in the future.
Also, just what is our goal in NuYen?

At least 4000, preferably 5000. The trick is finding a good federal transport and a fake SIN efficient enough to beat a national warrant.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

In that case we should definitely ask Doc for any possible leads.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Doc Jade: Patching Up the Shady and the SINless since 2068

((Commlink shuffle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-zLuLrsek4 ))

You exit the aged Valkyrie II module. It's not bleeding edge, but for a shadow clinic in Harburg it's impressive tech. Jade looks the screens over, then gives you a resigned look. Katherine Jade is in her 30s, a mousy( but kind of mom-hot, in your unsolicited opinion!) neo-goth, and really clever former biotechnician.

"I get you like to have fun, but why willingly mix all this? Hell, your lucky there was no genetic damage from the way you injected an EyeBurst retroviral cocktail and suppressed your immune response with all those chili shots. You probably haven't looked in a mirror," - she holds one up - "but one of your eyes has yet to change it's colour back."

You grin, but on the inside you hope it changes back. Genetech augments are messy, you only tried it because the first one was on the house, and those things can go seriously wrong. Like, explosive cancerous growth in the terminal stage wrong. The tech is nova-new, and only the eye-changers are stable enough to make NEEC regulations.

"I know, I know" you shoot back, exasperated. "I can't control it. I wish I could, honest to spirits." You hang your head. This, at least, is true. All your life has been a struggle to sniff, drink or smoke -just- the right amount to feel good, but not enough to enter the oblivion of blackout-grade bad decisions.

I should never have opened my drat mouth. The dame had a minor in addiction medicine, and had several solutions on hand, and several order. I could attempt to install a Tutorsoft with a wealth of so-called "moral psychology", attempting to change my underlying belief system to something better, so I wouldn't need to fill the void with alcohol and drugs - or, I could have a smart injector installed, that would dose me with naltrexone, antabuse and other nullifying agents tailored to the various substances. I opted to postpone the decision till my next check-up.

Anyway, I had taken no permanent damage, and upon asking Jade if she had a head for work, something interesting came up!

"Well, I'd rather not use you street types, but I'm left with little choice. Some kind of water gang keeps intercepting the courier shipments for the Hamburg Street Doc Collective, who as I’m sure you know runs most of the non-horrible shadow clinics in this town. We’re losing bandages, plasma and pain killers, which I can sort of understand, but also non-transferable organs and all kinds of tailored drugs of no real use outside non-exciting illnesses.

They’re probably from one of the freeloader communes outside of town, and are taking what they can use and dumping the rest. I need them dealt with.”

“Dealt with?” you mutter, still nursing a second-day hangover of death.

“If they want to bargain, you can try that, but clearly we’re not just giving them the things. I can secure discounts from our supplier and make sure they get sent the things they want. If not..”

“If not..?”

“..You do what you guys do. Talk with your dicks.”

You nod, trying to squirm out of the conversation.

“You do this and it’s 6800, cash.”

Well, poo poo.

You..

A) ..Politely decline. You’d have to set up a pretty solid crew to tangle with freeloaders and spirits know what else is hiding in the water, and a team would quickly dwindle the winnings down.

B) ..Accept. gently caress yes, 6800! It’s only split amongst people who survive, right?

C) ..Stall. You need to gather intel on this job, and find out if there are better ones in circulation.

((Well, here we are. We failed the addiction check so bad that we can’t muster the willingness to attempt something now, otherwise it’s business as usual. You took a lot of damage on the bender, but of the non-permanent variety.))

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B: 6800 nuyen would go a ways toward both our GTFO fund and that attention coprocessor. Besides, we're real good at talking with our dick. We can work on gathering the intel afterwards. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? :v:

Edit: No, we're actually not that good at talking with our dick.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 28, 2017

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Hexenritter posted:

B: 6800 nuyen would go a ways toward both our GTFO fund and that attention coprocessor. Besides, we're real good at talking with our dick. We can work on gathering the intel afterwards. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? :v:

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Hexenritter posted:

Bingo.

• Locked thread