Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

Back when I autocrossed regularly, I found a shop that would let me sit in it while they aligned it to my specs. Shops like that are awesome.

In Phoenix? Where?

I'm stuck going to Science of Speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BlackMK4 posted:

In Phoenix? Where?

I'm stuck going to Science of Speed.

It was Network Alignment up on Cave Creek road in north Phoenix, but no idea if they still do that, I haven't been there in many years and no idea if ownership/management is the same.

Another place that has opened up (well, was purchased so new ownership) since I stopped actively autocrossing is: Performance Automotive and Tire Center in Mesa. 6322 E. Superstition Springs Blvd, right next door to AutoNation Chevrolet. The owner is an active autocrosser and has made it known that he will happily work with autocrossers/track guys to align your car to your own specs.

PM me if you want more info about that shop, owner name, etc. since really doesn't belong in this thread. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Previa_fun posted:

I always lol when I remember the story of the fat woman who was asked to sit in her car while they aligned it. She got super upset but c'mon give those dudes a raise because that's attention to detail.

I think I recall that story - she kept coming back claiming that they were doing a bad job because the car would wear out poo poo on the driver's side or something?

edit: yep. Original video news site is gone, but Kia Rio, and she was offended that the techs suggested that she sit in the car for an alignment. She was adamant that there was a defect in the car, not that her 400 pound rear end in a 2500 pound car designed for tiny Koreans could be an issue.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mother....

fucker

MTD is on the naughty list. this thing isn't even 3 years old and the line for the primer bulb is just turning to dust. Maybe use fuel rated line for something that's built to suck gas fumes?

And this is like 30 bolts in, a blend of perfectly seasoned grade 2 imperial bolts and only the finest european soft cheese metric bolts. I ended up just hammering the 3/8s socket onto all the metric bolts because it was the only way to get them off, so now the snowblower is never gonna have a heat shield again.

e: I'm glad i started this now and now and not after we got 2 feet of snow. Hooray for me!

Maybe go make sure your snowblower runs, guys.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

MTD is on the naughty list. this thing isn't even 3 years old and the line for the primer bulb is just turning to dust. Maybe use fuel rated line for something that's built to suck gas fumes?

1. MTD has been on the naughty list for the last 30 years.

2. It's not the gas, it's the ethanol. Still no excuse.

E: Wait, you're in Canada. Do you even have ethanol?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 27, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

Mother....

fucker

And this is like 30 bolts in, a blend of perfectly seasoned grade 2 imperial bolts and only the finest european soft cheese metric bolts. I ended up just hammering the 3/8s socket onto all the metric bolts because it was the only way to get them off, so now the snowblower is never gonna have a heat shield again.

e: I'm glad i started this now and now and not after we got 2 feet of snow. Hooray for me!

I haven't found a decent snowblower MFG that still makes them (maybe Honda?) I have some piece of poo poo from sears that I've mangled into working mostly reliably until it random shits all its oil out through an unknown seal, but refill it and it doesn't leak a bloody drop.

On the bright side, it flings frozen dog poo poo close to 100 feet, so at least its fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

1. MTD has been on the naughty list for the last 30 years.

2. It's not the gas, it's the ethanol. Still no excuse.

E: Wait, you're in Canada. Do you even have ethanol?

I only use what's supposed to be ethanol free premium from shell in the yard stuff because each set is stored 6 months of the year.

Siochain posted:

I haven't found a decent snowblower MFG that still makes them (maybe Honda?) I have some piece of poo poo from sears that I've mangled into working mostly reliably until it random shits all its oil out through an unknown seal, but refill it and it doesn't leak a bloody drop.

On the bright side, it flings frozen dog poo poo close to 100 feet, so at least its fun.

Even the loving airens stuff is the same garbage, and at 3 times the price.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Im pretty sure firestone still sells lifetime alignements for like 120 per car. It's a pretty drat good deal even if its not the best but ive never had any issues with them. The one i was going to had pretty competent people though, i have no idea if thats normal, it probably isnt. I was changing shocks and until i decided on my ride height i went a lot and they didnt give me any poo poo for it. It payed for itself almost immediately.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Behold the dynamic valve guide!

This isn't an actual failure, this is a generator after a billion hours on a grow site.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

I only use what's supposed to be ethanol free premium from shell in the yard stuff because each set is stored 6 months of the year.

Duly noted. MTD gonna MTD.

Powershift posted:

Okay

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

DogonCrook posted:

Im pretty sure firestone still sells lifetime alignements for like 120 per car. It's a pretty drat good deal even if its not the best but ive never had any issues with them. The one i was going to had pretty competent people though, i have no idea if thats normal, it probably isnt. I was changing shocks and until i decided on my ride height i went a lot and they didnt give me any poo poo for it. It payed for itself almost immediately.

They sure do, or they at least still honor the one I'd purchased 6 years ago. So far I've replaced every wear component of my beater's front suspension. Felt kinda guilty going in twice in a month, especially since you need vice grips to adjust one of the tie rods now, hopefully leaving a $10 walmart gc for the tech to pick up a 6-pack or whatever absolves me.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Powershift posted:

Even the loving airens stuff is the same garbage, and at 3 times the price.

Same, and yep. They're all cheap pieces of poo poo for $1500. I'm just tempted to buy a used 500cc quad with a blade and loving do it that way - at least it'd be more fun during non-winter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Anyone tried a battery powered snow blower? They seem to be a decent option as long as the working area isn't too large.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Anyone tried a battery powered snow blower? They seem to be a decent option as long as the working area isn't too large.

Most batteries go to poo poo when it gets cold :shrug:

I don't know if anyone makes a 220v snowblower, but you can't pull enough amperage off of 110 to do gently caress all.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Powershift posted:

Most batteries go to poo poo when it gets cold :shrug:

I don't know if anyone makes a 220v snowblower, but you can't pull enough amperage off of 110 to do gently caress all.

The magazine reviews I've seen have been mostly positive. I think the idea is you bring the batteries from inside and they keep warm during the operation.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Saukkis posted:

You're trying to take all the fun out of the first storm, aren't you. You know that storm is like, mid-November after you've spent all summer saying you should tune up the snowblower. Now it's 5am and there's two feet of snow on the driveway and your spouse is yelling at your to clear it, you have to go to work, it's too early to start drinking, and the snowblower hasn't run for 8 months? yea, electric blowers are gonna ruin that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Like maybe if you are in North Carolina, here in the Northeast even the 1 stage showthrowers are basically useless unless you only get a dusting

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Siochain posted:

I'm just tempted to buy a used 500cc quad with a blade and loving do it that way - at least it'd be more fun during non-winter.

Pro move

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Siochain posted:

. I'm just tempted to buy a used 500cc quad with a blade and loving do it that way - at least it'd be more fun during non-winter.

Let's get a machine that is infamous for rolling/tipping onto people's heads, add a sharp blade to it and take it out onto icy roads.

What could possibly go wrong?

(Do it)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

spog posted:

Let's get a machine that is infamous for rolling/tipping onto people's heads, add a sharp blade to it and take it out onto icy roads.

(Do it)

Grew up driving one, never managed to roll it :P Just because some people suck doesn't mean most of us do. There's a metric fuckton of them around here used for just that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spog posted:

(Do it)

My dad and I used the quad for years to plow just fine. Only when it got really bad did we use the tractor.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You're not gonna roll a quad while plowing snow unless your version of plowing involves running starts and sharp turns, which sounds fun tbh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 1 stage Toro has been fine up to 8 inches which is the most snow we ever got at one point in time since I bought it 5 years ago.

Didn't even bring the thing out last year, we didn't get anything worth using it on and I live in Western PA.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We don't really get enough snow here for it to matter, but I did size up an ATV plough as being exactly the right width for a 4x4 Panda.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Having grown up in New England with an assortment of hilariously small and underpowered snowblowers (my dad used the big boy we had), the trick is to just do a layer of snow at a time. Takes a while, but if it's throwing snow, you can get it done.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

It was Network Alignment up on Cave Creek road in north Phoenix, but no idea if they still do that, I haven't been there in many years and no idea if ownership/management is the same.

Another place that has opened up (well, was purchased so new ownership) since I stopped actively autocrossing is: Performance Automotive and Tire Center in Mesa. 6322 E. Superstition Springs Blvd, right next door to AutoNation Chevrolet. The owner is an active autocrosser and has made it known that he will happily work with autocrossers/track guys to align your car to your own specs.

PM me if you want more info about that shop, owner name, etc. since really doesn't belong in this thread. :)

Thank you :) I set up an appointment at Performance Automotive on Monday. Need to level out the coilovers and swap tires this weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I need to run my C10 by there after I replace the inner tie rods. I've literally dicked with every component of the steering system and it could definitely use a professional touch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I need to call Tony and tell him he owes me a referral spif. :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasn't one of the truck posters here complaining about GM and rust? Sometimes the mounts rust and then your cab falls off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Wasn't one of the truck posters here complaining about GM and rust? Sometimes the mounts rust and then your cab falls off.

How....?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The good news is the brakes work(ed) well!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

http://www.wmur.com/article/pickup-truck-split-in-half-after-crash-in-pelham/12502143

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

`Nemesis posted:

You're not gonna roll a quad while plowing snow unless your version of plowing involves running starts and sharp turns, which sounds fun tbh.

And even then, you're unlikely to pick up enough speed in a driveway to manage that. More likely you'll abruptly stop and get thrown over the bars when you bite off more snowbank than your quad can handle.

source: someone who plowed their stupid big driveway for 13 years in Alaska with a plow and four wheeler.

I used this one (Polaris Sportsman X2 500h.o.) with great success:

edit: holy poo poo, that pickup cab failure had to be a hell of a ride up over the top!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

The good news is the brakes work(ed) well!

Still a good time to look at the ABS module...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Throatwarbler posted:

one neat trick to speed up engine swaps! mechanics HATE it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chevy's research into cab over design is not going well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That is like the worst article ever. There is almost no information there.
Did they run into something when they "lost control"? Did the cab just spontaneously leap off the frame?
Super lazy reporting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

brugroffil posted:

one neat trick to speed up engine swaps! mechanics HATE it!

Definitely easy enough to pick that LSx and put it into something fun now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The front fell off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jalopnik has a third picture that shows some damage to the left rear of the bed, but is just as confused as I am how it actually went down.
https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/pickup-trucks-cab-flies-off-its-frame-in-dumbfounding-c-1818976298