Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

100% Dundee posted:

Of course, if I didn't get a sticker I would have refused the shipment. I applied it directly to my dick like expected.

good man, that spring for a fist or fost? i didnt see one for a fist on steedas site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Lol, the thread from Steeda on the focusst.org forums is full of people who shattered their clutch spring perches by following Steeda's instructions.

At least it appears you can get a new assembly from Ford for about $20 without buying a whole new pedal+cylinder assembly like before.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Lol, the thread from Steeda on the focusst.org forums is full of people who shattered their clutch spring perches by following Steeda's instructions.

At least it appears you can get a new assembly from Ford for about $20 without buying a whole new pedal+cylinder assembly like before.

Oh nice I broke mine awhile ago. Where are they available? Ford parts dealer?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It seems so, yeah. Posters report varying success depending on how motivated your dealer's parts guy is.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I sold the GTI last month and today picked up a 2016 S3 Prestige with 17k on the clock, some day I will return to the hot hatch thread but for now I will enjoy what is basically the same drat car but older with more miles and an automatic transmission. So yay!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
For anyone wondering what Opti-Coat does.

I did not wash my car today. I got up. Did a 100 mile cruise with 50+ other VWs and got rained on for the last 30 miles coming home. I just went out and still had a few drops of water on my car. All I did was using a bit of spray wax and this is how my car looks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If anyone was thinking of using the "drive safe and save" from State Farm. I did a 100 mile cruise today and it literally killed my battery from 100% down to 18% by the time I got home. I didn't touch my phone all day, but the stupid gps device in my car kept my bluetooth active enough all day that it completely killed my battery. Gonna have to have a discussion with my agent on monday, cause this poo poo isn't kosher.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

veedubfreak posted:

If anyone was thinking of using the "drive safe and save" from State Farm. I did a 100 mile cruise today and it literally killed my battery from 100% down to 18% by the time I got home. I didn't touch my phone all day, but the stupid gps device in my car kept my bluetooth active enough all day that it completely killed my battery. Gonna have to have a discussion with my agent on monday, cause this poo poo isn't kosher.

I don't know if that incentive is the same as mine. With mine I just have to run a vehicle health check like, once every 6 months .
I don't have navigation though, so maybe I'm not eligible for your program

What is it using all that battery for? Feeding your route and speed driven to State Farm?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

sneakyfrog posted:

Uhm that 1-2 thunk is pretty common due to the crap rear motor mount which is the first component i replaced with a montune one. After replacing that one at uh.. around 500 miles-ish that hard thunk you get when you drop it hard into 2nd went away.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2364-RR-AA

The 1-2 thunk of the engine hitting the firewall isn't my problem, though I did also upgrade the RMM with a Mountune unit given it's such a recommended mod for these cars.

Huge_Midget posted:

Don't know if FiSTs are similar but a lot of guys in the RS community are switching out their factory fluid for this. Apparently makes the gearbox a whole lot smoother.

I'll check the handbook and see if that stuff is kosher in my gearbox, if so, some different fluid can't hurt to try, thanks.

PaintVagrant posted:

If you're not interested in removing the spring, there is a couple aftermarket ones that are less aggressive. Also, pump your pedal a few times if you're getting notchy feeling shifts. If it smooths out, it's probably worth bleeding your clutch hydraulics. If the issue persists, it's possible the hydraulics are going bad and not fully disengaging the trans while you shift. Persist in letting it feel crunchy and snaggy and you will end up with damaged synchhros.

I'm not a fan of the clutch feel but have grown used to it, I don't really find it a problem to get smooth shifts most of the time, though I do just wish they didn't bother with the ridiculous spring poo poo. I had already ruled out the clutch hydraulics as the car doesn't move an inch until the clutch is a good way off the floor, so I don't think the clutch is dragging, which is the only obvious logical explanation for the behaviour I'm experiencing. I did try pumping the pedal a few times today just to test it but it didn't change anything. This car has actually already had a rebuild of first and second gear and the synchros for those gears due to what I suspect is PO fuckery (Ford actually did this work under warranty without any hassle, I suspect because the vehicle used to be part of their executive vehicle fleet, essentially making them the PO), but this issue never went away after that work. The gearbox rebuilder said they couldn't see anything wrong with it.

veedubfreak posted:

Why anyone would willingly submit themselves to this kind of poo poo is beyond me. If enough people do it, insurers will know there's no risk to forcing all customers to use it, and then you can forget about ever having any fun on the road.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Why anyone would willingly submit themselves to this kind of poo poo is beyond me. If enough people do it, insurers will know there's no risk to forcing all customers to use it, and then you can forget about ever having any fun on the road.

THIS.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just installed a Cobb downpipe w sport cat. I hope this is the last time I have to touch the turbo for a long time, the FiST is not the easiest car to work on and I'm tired of swearing at it. I should have done the turbo/dp/exhaust all in one shot when I had the chance.

Last thing I'm installing before the driving season is over is a tow hook, then I'm done for a while.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Just installed a Cobb downpipe w sport cat. I hope this is the last time I have to touch the turbo for a long time, the FiST is not the easiest car to work on and I'm tired of swearing at it. I should have done the turbo/dp/exhaust all in one shot when I had the chance.

Last thing I'm installing before the driving season is over is a tow hook, then I'm done for a while.

how does it sound?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

If you need to save a few bucks on your insurance maybe you should have gotten a cheaper car? Hell of a lot of info to freely give to a company that could potentially use it against you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

how does it sound?

I already had a 2.5" exhaust. But going from stock dp to the Cobb seems to sound a little louder, more runoff pops and crackles. Haven't taken it out for a real fang yet because I've got some new brake pads to bed. I'll report back and let you know though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

I already had a 2.5" exhaust. But going from stock dp to the Cobb seems to sound a little louder, more runoff pops and crackles. Haven't taken it out for a real fang yet because I've got some new brake pads to bed. I'll report back and let you know though.

so thats the full cobb setup? I was just hoping to do something a bit growlier sounding than stock but not like obnoxiously loud

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

so thats the full cobb setup? I was just hoping to do something a bit growlier sounding than stock but not like obnoxiously loud

Cobb downpipe, fswerks 2.5" exhaust. Honestly if you're not going to mod too much, a resonator delete adds some nice burble but stays around the same decibel range.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Cobb downpipe, fswerks 2.5" exhaust. Honestly if you're not going to mod too much, a resonator delete adds some nice burble but stays around the same decibel range.

not a bad thought, so far its been pretty cop invisible so far but i wouldn't mind a bit more of a mean exhaust sound

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Any extra drone in cabin with a res delete? I'm thinking about doing it to mine, or possibly leaving the res but deleting the muffler, but not sure if that will introduce drone/be too loud.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 25, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If you need to save a few bucks on your insurance maybe you should have gotten a cheaper car? Hell of a lot of info to freely give to a company that could potentially use it against you.

yeah seriously gently caress this nonsense

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Any extra drone in cabin with a res delete? I'm thinking about doing it to mine, or possibly leaving the res but deleting the muffler, but not sure if that will introduce drone/be too loud.

Nope. Its (res delete)maybe 10% louder and a little meaner sounding. A muffler delete will be significantly louder.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Nope. Its (res delete)maybe 10% louder and a little meaner sounding. A muffler delete will be significantly louder.

Yeah, I figured re: muffler delete, but as long as it's not obnoxious to the public and adds no drone in cabin, I'd be inclined to go muffler delete over res delete because the car is so damned quiet to begin with. Some people remove both but that just seems like it's going to be way too loud.

I might try to have the pieces I'm removing flanged so I can put them back on if wanted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving christ i bought a set of konig hypergrams in 17x8 and they wont clear the Performance Package front brakes on my GTI :suicide:

what a lovely fuckin birthday lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are we talking 5mm spacer or 20mm spacer? :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

[quote="“BraveUlysses”" post="“476834078”"]
loving christ i bought a set of konig hypergrams in 17x8 and they wont clear the Performance Package front brakes on my GTI :suicide:

[/quote]

Lol is nobody running this in 17 already? Whoops

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

5 or 10mm might fix it, it's not hitting the barrel just the spoke. i found a tuunah shop near my work that stocks spacers and longer bolts.

other than it looking a bit odd, will i be okay if i leave two of the new wheels on the rear of the car and drive on the stock wheels up front for a day? the rear diameter is just slightly bigger than stock.

I'm going from 225/45/18 on 18x7.5 wheels to 235/45/17 on 17x8 wheels which is a 0.8% change in diameter.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 28, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

e: ^^^ That's definitely tight...

Are they the wrong offset? I run 17's with my winter setup and they clear.

There's mine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drat y'all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

Happy birthday! :confuoot:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

5 or 10mm might fix it, it's not hitting the barrel just the spoke. i found a tuunah shop near my work that stocks spacers and longer bolts.

other than it looking a bit odd, will i be okay if i leave two of the new wheels on the rear of the car and drive on the stock wheels up front for a day? the rear diameter is just slightly bigger than stock.

I'm going from 225/45/18 on 18x7.5 wheels to 235/45/17 on 17x8 wheels which is a 0.8% change in diameter.

How tucked are these???

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How tucked are these???

tucked?

oh and another fun discovery, aftermarket wheels need conical bolts and stock ones are ball type

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Why didn't you go a 17x9? 17x8 is still pinched.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why the hell would I need a 9 inch wheel for 235s? They don't sell this wheel in a vw bolt pattern in 17x9 anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
235s on a 9 looks stretched

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

8" wheel is fine on the GTI if the offset is right

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Why the hell would I need a 9 inch wheel for 235s? They don't sell this wheel in a vw bolt pattern in 17x9 anyway.

Ideally a 8.5" rim would be perfect or 9" for a hair of stretch depending on tread width. 8" is pinching which bows the tread outward some and makes the sidewall roll over much easier. It is very noticeable in autocross on my 18x7.5 with 225 40 18 tires and required 42 psi to not roll over but induced weird wear behaviors (only used 2/3rd of tread during hard cornering). Also when pinched the steering feel gets vague the further you push it.

I have a 235 40 17 federal now that is closer to 245 on a 17x9 due to it. They sit square and do not look stretch.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 28, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you want to fulfill some insane hot hatch desires there's a Clio V6 on BAT closing today.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I always thought those "drive safe and save" things were just a way for insurance companies to deny your claim.

"well, the little chip we have in your car says you were going 5 over at the time of the accident so we're denying your claim"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

[quote="“Rape Stink”" post="“476862575”"]
I always thought those “drive safe and save” things were just a way for insurance companies to deny your claim.

“well, the little chip we have in your car says you were going 5 over at the time of the accident so we’re denying your claim”
[/quote]

Nobody does this.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you don't think insurance companies won't use every shred of data to avoid paying money you're in for a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nobody does this.*

* yet.