Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

cheese posted:

I finally took out Krok-Gar as Queek with massed Stormvermin. You just have to accept Queeks bonus and flood the main stack with Halberd Stormvermin. They have like 90 armor and decent AP, along with polearm bonus against any Dinos. I ended up with Queeks stack having ~10 Stormvermin and a few plagueclaws and then basically a full stack on a Grey Seer of Clan Rats. Send in the Stormvermin line first so they can start to wear down the Saurus line and then send in all your Clan Rats around the back. Once the Saurus rampage they can't do much to adjust and you just swarm them.

I'm ~75 turns in as Queek and have entered the "paint the map" zone. You are right though, each settlement costs food upkeep and so do armies, but you don't really gain more food unless you are constantly fighting.

A map with skaven food buildings would make the campaign a lot easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RentACop posted:

Thread background

drat, he's making ALL OF THE RULES!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Lmao at malekiths constant screaming on the campaign map...don't know if that's supposed to happen

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RentACop posted:

Thread background

"This is the ideal Slann body, you may not like it, but this is what the Old Ones intended."

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Uh in Warhammer 1 did units leave control groups if they routed?

I don't recall this happening before. I'd really prefer that not happen.

I've noticed in multiplayer that almost every unit now has a cap on the # you can bring, this is good.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I don't like this?

Races feel too overloaded with new junk, but very little of it actually matters. It's just excess for the sake of excess, and I rarely like dealing with it. Food in my Skaven game, Menace pops, corruption, etc. It's all just excess bulk.

I love all 4 races in lore, but doesn't feel like it has a grounder race anymore. I started with Queek and eh. I jumped to Malekith and eh. I tried Lizardmen and eh. Maybe I just need a quick Empire/High Elves run to "get into" the setting or something, but it all feels a little overdone compared to WH1. Like Orcs and Dwarfs and even Undead are pretty staple tropes, nothing here is. This is entirely on my though.

I don't like the UI stuff. I don't like the Mortal Kombat intro. I don't like the removal of the character/race bios in favor of 3D FACE.

Actually, I think I'm just not being great with my words. This base is great. This seems like a loving much better WH1 and I want to play it so bad. It's just also mentally conflicting for me because I know WH1 is like right there and missing. I know TK are right there and missing. This feels like a full game, but also half a game at the same time, and it's really hard to reconcile those two things. Maybe I just need to wait for the combined map to come out before I jump in?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ammanas posted:

A map with skaven food buildings would make the campaign a lot easier

The skaven really need a building that gives you food, yes, probably at the expense of skaven corruption?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

NewMars posted:

The skaven really need a building that gives you food, yes, probably at the expense of skaven corruption?

They have a building that gives food but its only buildable in select, inexplicable settlements.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Campaign map running like poo poo for no reason aside... game owns.

I just killed a double stack Skaven intervention force by murdering them on the walls of Lothern. The flame Phoenix single-handedly routed like 5 units of clanrats with one bombing run.

CA made elves fun. This is weird.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I also noted campaign map runs really slow.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Ammanas posted:

They have a building that gives food but its only buildable in select, inexplicable settlements.

I think one of them's tied to a trade resource? There's two I've seen, one of which, Corrupted Spawning Pool, is presumably a "notable settlement" thing with only 1 level, and the other of which gives food, a small amount of income, and Untainted corruption pressure.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

High elves are actually really fun to play mechanically. Spearman are a decent enough tarpit, but they're actually super fast and responsive, which means your battle line is flexible but still durable

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'm new to both Total War and Warhammer games, is this more single or multiplayer oriented ? The campaign any good or is it just for introduction and then people only play custom maps ?

TW has always been more of a singleplayer series akin to Civ or the paradox games IMO. Sure they have multiplayer but the real meat is the sandbox/campaign modes and mods.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Trip Report; Morathi is a ridiculous murder machine who for some reason also gets an amazing melee tree.

I'm guessing the ridiculous murder machine goes for all legendary lords this time around, they really improved the skill trees from the first game.

Captain Beans posted:

Uh in Warhammer 1 did units leave control groups if they routed?

I don't recall this happening before. I'd really prefer that not happen.

This was a thing in Warhammer 1 as well, there are arguments for it but I would really prefer that they stayed grouped as well.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 29, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dartonus posted:

I think one of them's tied to a trade resource? There's two I've seen, one of which, Corrupted Spawning Pool, is presumably a "notable settlement" thing with only 1 level, and the other of which gives food, a small amount of income, and Untainted corruption pressure.

corrupted spawning pools are lizardmen pools that clan pestilens poo poo in corrupted and so presumably would only be found in lustria

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hmm i guess the giant rat DOES make all of da rules

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Great Q. The lighting is also pretty suspect in some maps.

It's kinda weird. TWW1 seems to look like Rome, TWW2 seems to look like Attila.

For me the campaign map looked like poo poo at first, the default gamma was way too high. Dropped it from 20ish to 14. Never had to do that in TWWH 1.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anyone got tips on how to get waystones as High Elves? I grabbed the Vaul province already and I'm getting around 16-20 a turn but the other races have a fairly consistent lead on me. Is that my cue to get off the weird circular starting isle and go hunt down the other races to gently caress with their rituals?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Campaign map running like poo poo for no reason aside... game owns.

I also noticed it being choppy, going into settings and enabling the game to use all video ram helped a bit.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I also noticed it being choppy, going into settings and enabling the game to use all video ram helped a bit.

Yeah, tried that and unfortunately no luck. The weird thing is that it's still choppy as gently caress even on the lowest settings, with both DX11 and DX12. I'm chalking it up to an AMD driver issue for now (despite using the driver that came out hours before release, which specifically mentions support for this game). That's the only thing I can think of. No in-game settings makes the campaign stop chugging.

Battles, meanwhile, are awesome. :allears:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i'm not able to launch the game at all, it gets to the initial title screen and then hangs forever and it's bad enough that even the task manager can't shut the game down and attempting to do so actually causes the task manager to get stuck hanging in not responding as well

any ideas

drivers are up to date, i meet the system requirements, about to try verifying game cache

e for anyone who finds this from google or some poo poo: verifying the game files and redownloading a bunch of poo poo fixed the issue and let me play the game

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 29, 2017

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
May not be the right thread but I didn't see any other TW thread. I don't know if I just suck at this game (TWWH1) or what, since it is my first TW game. Watched all the tutorials in OP. I thought I was doing really well as dwarves, taking over a few settlements with ease, but then one Greenskin army came through and wiped out everything I had with a level 12 general.

Has my development been too slow? My leading lord is level 6, and it's turn 45. I can only recruit standard warriors, crossbowmen, and long beards. I had a maximum size army occupying a town, and the Army had zero chance against the incoming siege.

I had planned on taking over some of the smaller settlements, but by the time I got there there the other Dwarven factions had already taken them over. I was forced south to start taking green skin territory.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, this came out - guess I'll play it. Does it have agent spam like all the other ones? Has someone made a mod to remove them yet?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

InevitableCheese posted:

May not be the right thread but I didn't see any other TW thread. I don't know if I just suck at this game (TWWH1) or what, since it is my first TW game. Watched all the tutorials in OP. I thought I was doing really well as dwarves, taking over a few settlements with ease, but then one Greenskin army came through and wiped out everything I had with a level 12 general.

Has my development been too slow? My leading lord is level 6, and it's turn 45. I can only recruit standard warriors, crossbowmen, and long beards. I had a maximum size army occupying a town, and the Army had zero chance against the incoming siege.

I had planned on taking over some of the smaller settlements, but by the time I got there there the other Dwarven factions had already taken them over. I was forced south to start taking green skin territory.

Ah, Grimgor. :unsmith:

The short answers is to build walls in literally every settlement you own in the first game.
This advice is probably applicable to game 2 as well but I can't say for sure.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The dark elves fuckin rule. It's fun being in a hard fought battle and then you hit the kill count to go berserk and suddenly all your troops are absolutely nuts.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Pendent posted:

Ah, Grimgor. :unsmith:

The short answers is to build walls in literally every settlement you own in the first game.
This advice is probably applicable to game 2 as well but I can't say for sure.

Ah so this is just a pre-established guy? I was worried I sunk a few hours in and the run was shot due to slow development.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh, this came out - guess I'll play it. Does it have agent spam like all the other ones? Has someone made a mod to remove them yet?

I'm not that far into it but the consensus seems to be practically no agent spam in the base game. Which is good, because the devs have temporarily disabled the ability to use mods for a week or so in order to focus on bugs during release.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

InevitableCheese posted:

Ah so this is just a pre-established guy? I was worried I sunk a few hours in and the run was shot due to slow development.

He is one of the legendary lords for the Greenskins. What makes him legendary is that in most games he stomps around the south of the map and powers up pretty strong and has habit of coming out of nowhere to bash the dwarf human player.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I had a few issues as momrathi with agents

lizardmen kept doing things to me, but it was only with one or two agents

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've only got a few hours played but this game is almost perfect without mods. It's so good. The only mod I want is more skill points for lords.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

InevitableCheese posted:

He's just one of the Ork legendary lords who really likes to crump on the stunties undefended towns. Most people seem to have had a few bad experiences with him. Once you get to know the flow of the game a bit better he's not really an issue.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

President Ark posted:

i'm not able to launch the game at all, it gets to the initial title screen and then hangs forever and it's bad enough that even the task manager can't shut the game down and attempting to do so actually causes the task manager to get stuck hanging in not responding as well

any ideas

drivers are up to date, i meet the system requirements, about to try verifying game cache

update: jesus christ 3.6gb of files were hosed and needed to be redownloaded :eyepoop:

InevitableCheese posted:

grimgor is an extremely killy individual who can catch you really offguard if you let him build up steam

build up walls, use ranged units and artillary (orc leadership tends to suck) and try and catch the orc himself in a tarpit of a shield-using elite unit like longbeards with your general nearby to keep him from rampaging around

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 29, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like how the dark elf soldiers all do like stadium style chants as they fight

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is the standard line infantry for Dark Elves utter dogshit? I thought their line of spears and shields was supposed to be hardcore, or am I confusing the dreaded lore (and possible warhammer online blackguard experience?)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for some reason i cant negotiate with the major factions anymore, is this how its supposed to work?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I've found the spearmen to be pretty reliable for dark elves

but I back them up with their crossbow units and those guys are my murder machines

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

The gently caress is a drooki lmao. What a stupid rear end name. Malekith is a clown idiot

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Innerguard posted:

Is it just me or is the standard line infantry for Dark Elves utter dogshit? I thought their line of spears and shields was supposed to be hardcore, or am I confusing the dreaded lore (and possible warhammer online blackguard experience?)

They've been fine for me? Some rough battles vs chaos warriors but that's to be expected since chaos mulches opposing infantry. Honestly I've found them to be surprisingly resilient.

But, as mentioned, DE infantry's job is "don't die while the crossbows mow down everyone"

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

No! I'm Ratacus!
Hid everyone but the rat ninjas in the giant fuckoff woods and used the ninjas to murder their cavalry. Used up all my clanrat charges taking out the artillery. Managed to get a chainrout with a rearcharge of 3 units of plague monks and the out of ammo ratninjas. The autoresolve gave me a 0% chance of success.
All in all having a shitload of fun playing skaven as they're meant to be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I guess I have enough time to wrap dark souls while hotfixes and release optimizations get done (and mods of course), huh :frogc00l:

Schizotek posted:

The autoresolve gave me a 0% chance of success as skaven

autoresolve should always tell it skaven that is going to be an onslaught and no Pyrrhic victories, just "regular skaven day" victories

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 29, 2017