Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Literally all you need to know about High Elf armies, right there. Shamelessly stolen from some dude on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On Lizardman talk, I'm 90 turns into Mazdamundi, I settled as far north as the fallen gate with it's great unique building for temple guards and as far south as Spektazuma for the gem mine income for the majority of the game, it meant I didn't have to roam my armies far and could have small peacekeeping armies for rebellions and ritual defense, the first ritual was the roughest to defend and had to rebuild a little but it wasn't so bad, the bonuses you get during the ritual can save you a lot of money on upkeep.

If it wasn't for the darkelves invading I would of pushed much further south into the jungle for more ritual currency and wiping out skavens and unruly lizards and elves.

Some tips and insights from what I've done.

Mazdamundi with enough levels can decimate armies practically by himself, just net a large cluster of troops and start throwing ruination of cities, banishments and comets on top of them and you will rack up hundreds of kills in seconds.

Bring anti-archer units or units that won't rampage against the elves Saurus warriors get shredded chasing after elven archers and you can't even tell them to stop, you absolutely need to bring some cavalry or elite temple guard with Mazdamundi's discount to handle them, I never took the missile resistance traits in total war1, but they are absolutely required so your dinosaur riding heroes don't get focused and die in 5 seconds.

Send a general or two off to explore the ocean, skull islands are a quick 10k gold and if you can find a island of construction materials ( -30% discount ) you can easily upgrade all of your cities to max everything, with stacked discounts star chambers cost 0 gold to build.

I am not sure if knock-off Mazdamundi Slann priests are at all worth it to lead armies when you could instead bring a dedicated saurus lord on a T-rex to chomp everything.

I decided the human settlers were part of the great plan and made a alliance with them and they were a great help in dealing with rebellions and the occasional war target.

Having a early second general go down the blue line to pick up recruitment and troop discounts can be rather rewarding, I had him do all my recruitment and he could easily pick up rank 9 templar guards and rank 5-7 other troops and have a extra recruitment slot to do so.

From short observation it seems Blessed variants of regular troops don't pick up bonuses related to that troop type, so probably best to used blessed versions of supplements to your main force you didn't bother to buff up, that said, the blessed saurus warrior is insanely good with perfect vigour that never goes below fresh, use them to climb ladders for no penalty.

If you do decide to go north to spite the darkelves, look for "The ancient city of Quintex" it has a unique building that has insane income.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Helion posted:

The Dark Elves are, as a civilization, legitimately the most horrible people in the world. Chaos does what it does because it is driven to act that way by the force of mortal emotions, but the Dark Elves do what they do for amusement. Well, they also do it for pragmatic purposes- their empire runs on slavery. And bloody sacrifices to Khaine. But in general they just really get off on doing horrible things.

They are the same people as the High Elves, the difference is cultural. But it's not like the High Elves are "good" in the same way the Dark Elves are evil. They're suffused with overweening arrogance and see the world as more or less composed of Chaos, which must be stopped, various beasts who must be put in their place and lesser child races like humanity who need to be shown who their betters are. They see themselves as the guardians of all civilization and the only hope the world has against Chaos, and they won't let you forget it.

The mindset of the High Elves and the Dark Elves both come from the same place. In effect the starting point for both is that "We are obviously superior to all the other races around us" and they kind of diverge from there. High elves follow that up with "Therefore we are taking the mantle of savior of the world upon our shoulders and we will smugly let you know at every opportunity because gently caress you" while Dark Elves follow up with "Therefore we should be allowed to murder and enslave every last one of you because gently caress you." The fact that none of the other ostensibly 'good' guys in the warhammer world put up with the high elves poo poo is actually one of the funnier things about it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

The quest battle for Kroq-Gar's spear was incredibly touch and go.

I basically threw everyone who wasn't rampaging at the target lord and had my skink wizard lizard spam thunder on her.

Kroq-gar being tailored for a Saurus/Cold One dual composition got me through that quest. 6 Saurus and 6 Cold Ones plus your starting Skink wizard were enough to do the job; the Saurus moved up the field while the Cold Ones wrecked the ambushers. Even the Witch Elves got destroyed thanks to the Skink hitting them with the armor/melee attack debuff, so the three dino packs just smashed into them from three sides.

By the end, the most damage inflicted on my dudes were the Cold Ones that went head to head with the Hydra, but even then they held on thanks to Kroq-gar coming in to save the day on his dinosaur and some more buffs/debuffs from the Skink.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Literally all you need to know about High Elf armies, right there. Shamelessly stolen from some dude on reddit.

Tyrion's quest battle for his armor is basically just the reverse of the Malekith quest battle that was shown off in the streams. Except I'd already basically won before the Teclis reinforcements even showed up, as everything got shot to death on approach. First the vanguard and then the main force in sequence - only real casualties were from side units clearing out the Cold One Knights on the flanks.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 29, 2017

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
High Elf archers with 180 range are insanely good until you face some random pirate/chaos/dark elf hybrid dude raiding your home with elite chosen or a full feral dinosaur stack in the jungles.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

From short observation it seems Blessed variants of regular troops don't pick up bonuses related to that troop type, so probably best to used blessed versions of supplements to your main force you didn't bother to buff up, that said, the blessed saurus warrior is insanely good with perfect vigour that never goes below fresh, use them to climb ladders for no penalty.

Nah, they work, I can confirm this. My Blessed Saurus are absolutely disgusting right now, hope I can pick up another 3x spawn so I can roll entirely with Blessed Saurus as Kroq-gar's melee core. They do so much damage, I don't think I even need Temple Guard.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

The mindset of the High Elves and the Dark Elves both come from the same place. In effect the starting point for both is that "We are obviously superior to all the other races around us" and they kind of diverge from there. High elves follow that up with "Therefore we are taking the mantle of savior of the world upon our shoulders and we will smugly let you know at every opportunity because gently caress you" while Dark Elves follow up with "Therefore we should be allowed to murder and enslave every last one of you because gently caress you." The fact that none of the other ostensibly 'good' guys in the warhammer world put up with the high elves poo poo is actually one of the funnier things about it.

Agreed, and they have fundamentally the same attitude, except the High Elves feeling that they deserve everything they have and the Dark Elves feeling that the world has stolen everything from them. Switch their places and they'd end up looking pretty much the same.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Flagellum posted:

High Elf archers with 180 range are insanely good until you face some random pirate/chaos/dark elf hybrid dude raiding your home with elite chosen or a full feral dinosaur stack in the jungles.

Seaguard should be making up your front line, and they have frankly insane defensive stats along with a decent anti-large bonus. And Chosen tend to be priority targets for bolt throwers. Or those 2-3 units of Swordmasters/Phoenix Guard you keep sitting around. They'll still be losing models as they close the distance under fire from 8-10+ archer units anyways.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Does Malakith even like the dark elves? It's a bit of a downgrade from almost being Phoenix king!

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 29, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Does Malakith even like the dark elves? It's a bit of a downgrade from almost bro Phoenix king!

I get the impression that while he is as horrible as any given Dark Elf, he *sees himself* as rightful lord as the High Elves. It isn't clear if he really has anything like a full realization of how monstrous he is- in his mind his whole sick society might seem to be a "temporary measure" until he regains his rightful throne.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I found a little exploit as Mazdamundi, in Macu Peaks you can build a marble quarry for -30% construction costs in the region and Mazdamundi's starting bonus is -50% cost for Star Chambers, which let's you build Star Chambers for 900g or free if any discount events are running but it won't reduce the gold you get back from destroying the building, just repeatedly build Star chambers and destroy them for the 3600g return.

I won't abuse it, but it's something to keep in mind that should probably see a patch if possible with how many construction discounts they give away in warhammer2.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Does Malakith even like the dark elves? It's a bit of a downgrade from almost bro Phoenix king!

They're the ones who are loyal to the One True King. sure, a lot of them are jerks, but y'know. they had his back, so he's got theirs, at least in the abstract.

on which note, one of the unit/lords on the table for the inevitable expansion DLC is Alith Anar, the Shadow King, and his Shadow Warriors.

sure, Nagarythe loving sucks now, but it's still a kingdom of Ulthuan. and it has a king. and it has people. the descendants of the elves who, when Prince Malekith of Nagarythe said "I AM THE TRUE PHOENIX KING" said "uh, my lord, no offense, but you can gently caress right off with that bullshit."

the few of them that are still around are pretty good guerilla warriors! because Malekith's got a standing order that the heads of those who betrayed him are worth their weight in gold!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Close Victory my rear end, these puny elves have lower kill counts than my skaveslaves.

Granted, the AI in this game seems absolutely terrible. They gathered in a giant impenetrable square and got tore to pieces by my artillery and allowed me to surround them while some skaven units patriotically absorved all the arrows.

Skaven loving rule. Use the million poisonous units in woods to surprise fast units and give them a big ol' Spear rat unit treatment if they try to attack your ranged rats, drown then in slaves, have clanrats spawn everywhere and have Queek murder all the pathetic princesses and generals the pointy eared gits can muster.

And i haven't even unlocked the doomwheel.

Game rules, can't wait until someone makes a proper AI mod.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it seems like the tactical AI is a step backwards for some reason

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Helion posted:

I get the impression that while he is as horrible as any given Dark Elf, he *sees himself* as rightful lord as the High Elves. It isn't clear if he really has anything like a full realization of how monstrous he is- in his mind his whole sick society might seem to be a "temporary measure" until he regains his rightful throne.

Khaine is literally the Elven God of 'Doing Wrong To Do Right' (they just contextualize that as the awful crime of actually killing another elf) and he's built his entire half of his crazy torture canadians to do nothing but scream about how Khaine is the overriding principle of all things.

That cannot be coincidence. He is the crazy, stupid rear end in a top hat going 'I'M JUST MAKING HARD CHOICES AND DOING WHAT I HAVE TO' to complete his edgelord jackassery.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
As far as I can tell in the few battles where we've fought toe-to-toe, Skaven AI really has no idea how to defend against other skaven or how to use their burrowing clanrats at all. In the first quest battle, they've some nasty catapults that they don't bother to keep any melee troops near to protect them and they seem totally shocked when you take those catapults into melee by bursting some clanrats in their faces. Similarly, they don't really seem to deploy their own burrowers in good positions to flank or rear-charge. Even the timing of when they bust them out feels pretty random.

Do AI mods typically have the sort of granularity to adjust the really tiny decisions like those?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Memnaelar posted:

Do AI mods typically have the sort of granularity to adjust the really tiny decisions like those?

Not really, no. They just exchange some stupid bad decisions with other equally exploitable problems.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memnaelar posted:

As far as I can tell in the few battles where we've fought toe-to-toe, Skaven AI really has no idea how to defend against other skaven or how to use their burrowing clanrats at all. In the first quest battle, they've some nasty catapults that they don't bother to keep any melee troops near to protect them and they seem totally shocked when you take those catapults into melee by bursting some clanrats in their faces. Similarly, they don't really seem to deploy their own burrowers in good positions to flank or rear-charge. Even the timing of when they bust them out feels pretty random.

The AI has problems with artillery period. I got an invasion from a human pirate faction and i attacked it only to find out they had two mortar units AND the game placed them on top of a hill with only one way to climb.

I though i was going to be obliterated but the mortars just kept circling around up there and sometimes would fire the occasional mortar ball.

It's possible to change some AI parameters to make it a bit more challenging, i'm not sure what CA did here but the AI is absolutely incompetent and it kinda throws the challenge away.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Mods now please. Just had my level 12 warp engineer dude assassinated by a level 4 dinosaur. gently caress that

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathSandwich posted:

Well I figure I'll put a few words down on Lizardmen since that's what I've been playing and I'm hearing a lot of people complaining about trying to bust them in campaign. I figure it gives me a venue to gush about them here as well and go over some of their strengths and weaknesses.

For starters lets take a look at their strengths and weaknesses:

-I'll go ahead and say it: The best t1/t2 heavy infantry in the game. Sauruses are gold for gold, one of the killing-est units in either the first or the second game. They have less armor than Dwarf Warriors or Chaos Warriors, but they have significantly higher damage output compared to either and a not-insignificant chunk of that is armor piercing despite them not being dedicated AP.

-Some of the most effective caster heroes in the game, not necessarily due to access to a variety of magic (on the flip side actually, Lizardmen casting is surprisingly limited in scope, down to beasts, celestial, and the hodgepodge of light/high/celestial that comes on Slaan lords) but because your skink priests can eventually ride a stegodon artillery piece. When you run out of magic, blast them with bolts of poison artillery. When you run out of artillery, just say gently caress it and stomp through their line. because you have 120 armor and 6000 hp and give precisely 0 fucks.

-Saurus heroes and lords riding carnosaurs are second only to Norscan lords riding mammoths on the scale of "incredibly difficult poo poo for a general use mixed army to deal with". A Saurus lord and hero both on Carnosaurs and a skink priest and chief both riding stegodons can basically solo a lot of low tier NPC armies by themselves.

As far as the negatives go:

-Your poo poo is super slow with exception to skinks and terradons. Sauruses are like mid-high 20s in speed, cold ones are as slow or maybe slower than the heaviest empire/bret cav despite being lower armored.

-You don't have really good ranged options. Skink skirmishers have 70-80 range but on the bright side do spit poison darts and can do so fairly quickly.

-You don't really have much unit roster that lives in t4 or t5. Most of that is variations of the tier 3 dinos that have been in your army for a while, so the neat tricks you get toward the endgame aren't near as neat as you would get with say, empire steam tanks or Demigryphs or elfy dragons.

-Frenzy is by it's very nature hard to control, and can make repositioning between waves of enemies hard to do. It also can lead to your frenzied poo poo chasing routing units all over creation, leaving it out of position to get sacked by enemy cav.

With all that being said. Playing the Lizardmen campaign the most consistently threatening things to me have been dedicated mobility ranged units, especially so if they come with armor piercing. Shades and Marauder Axe Horsemen and the like really gently caress up my day in ways that I don't like to talk about. Lizardmen don't have the capacity to fire back against large ranged firing lines and any attempt to outshoot archers with skinks is going to end in sadness.

When building your armies in the campaign, roll with a core of around 8-10 sauruses. They provide the meat of your army, and in a straight up slapfight between any other races t1/2 units, they will win pretty much every time. Keep a mix of regular saurus warriors and spears in a ratio fitting for the mount of monsters and cav you'll be fighting, normally I go with a unit or two less of spears since they don't chew up infantry quite as well. If you're playing as Kroq Gar, you literally don't need to worry about having any skink recruitment buildings for a while: Sauruses are cheaper to upkeep than skinks for him. When you start hitting tier 3 settlements, it's useful to get a skink recruitment building up for Skink Chiefs, and you'll also want skink recruitment for secondary lords too since Sauruses will be quite a bit more expensive for other lords to upkeep. Once you do get your core of saurus warriors, you're going to want to look at units to support them and plug the gaps in their weaknesses.

You will still eventually want to get your skink buildings up and running though since it is a t1-3. They make good cheap shock troops for the non-Krok-Gar lords and despite their poo poo performance vs other race's archers they still have a use. Skirmishers and Chamelion skinks have a 360 degree firing radius and skaven level speed and poison, making them passable route chasers, good flankers, and ticking poison on an enemy is a good way to turn a near even saurus scrum into one that significantly benefits you. Skink chiefs also own. They have the same 360 degree firing cone, but come with 100 ammo and I've yet to see one really run out of ammo even in knock down drag out quest battles like the one Krok Gar gets.

When you hit t3 on your settlements you can start picking up Terradons and Cold ones. Quite honestly I like terradons better than cold ones. They cover the speed weakness of the core of your army better and you can basically treat them like you do Wood Elf Eagle Riders. You can keep them on the edge of a battle throwing rocks into a flank, you can use their mobility to go after pesky archers or artillery that's giving you problems, or you can fly them into flanking melee position on your saurus scrum for leadership penalties. They don't do any one thing better than a specialist unit (they will get shot out of the air by even modest resistance, they won't be able to kill infantry like a dedicated cav unit, ect) but they are a jack of all trades that are tactically flexible. They are also your source of fire damage for combatting regen, so you'll need it when it comes time to slay hydras or go expedition into vampire lands up in Khremi.

Once you get the dinosaur buildings in t3, that's when the funhaver units start coming out. Stegadons own own own. They basically go where they please and while they aren't cavalry fast they can run down pretty much any footslogger infantry. They are good linebreakers and are incredibly hard to pin down because they move around a lot during their attack animations. Even if they get surrounded by spearmen, one or two thrashes and they will have shoved enough elves/rats away that they can just meander away from that scrum and go sack a wizard or archer unit. I'm going to be one to admit, I don't really love the Ancient Stegodon with the shorter ranged arty. It's basically a blowpipe machine gun burst that's really entertaining to watch, but is incredibly short ranged and generally not as effective as just charging him in to bust heads. The bastilodon is simply OK, it's basically the K-Mart stegodon, not as killy but cheaper. I unfortunately haven't had enough time to play with the revivification crystal or the other flavor of 'magic poo poo strapped to the back of this dino' but it largely seems fine.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while Sauruses are kings of the t1/t2 romp, dedicated armored and armor piercing troops will completely slaughter you. Swordmasters and White Lions are both especially good at slaying sauruses I've learned. Chaos great weapons will body you pretty good too. Stormvermin is a pretty even matchup because even through they are armored and armor piercing, they still have the slower halberd attack and it's kind of low-ish damage on a unit with not-especially-great leadership.

This is a really helpful post. What are your feelings on Kroxigor and Temple Guards? It's the only remaining question I have after suvh a comprehensive post.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I hope the modellers and animators who made the Hell Pit Abomination got a raise & a nice vacation afterwards

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

They're the ones who are loyal to the One True King. sure, a lot of them are jerks, but y'know. they had his back, so he's got theirs, at least in the abstract.

on which note, one of the unit/lords on the table for the inevitable expansion DLC is Alith Anar, the Shadow King, and his Shadow Warriors.

sure, Nagarythe loving sucks now, but it's still a kingdom of Ulthuan. and it has a king. and it has people. the descendants of the elves who, when Prince Malekith of Nagarythe said "I AM THE TRUE PHOENIX KING" said "uh, my lord, no offense, but you can gently caress right off with that bullshit."

the few of them that are still around are pretty good guerilla warriors! because Malekith's got a standing order that the heads of those who betrayed him are worth their weight in gold!

Yeah but also he IS the one true phoenix king and they are traitors.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Fun fact for you helf players; there are, of course, two Vaul's anvil named provinces. (Three, but that one isn't not on this map.) The second one is in delf land and is a wayshard location, so it's nice to have.

It also has a landmark building on it to give you -10% glocal unit upkeep.

You probably should go get it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it seems like the tactical AI is a step backwards for some reason

I definitely got that feeling after about 60-70 turns; instead of some halfway decent formations like TWW1 the AI just blobs their poo poo together. It also doesn't help that the controls feel a bit wonky (to me). The first TWW I would lock control groups and that worked well enough; they would still engage the enemy yet not run off too badly (I never did use the guard command for some reason). Now I find units out right not doing anything once the formation they are fighting routes no matter what stance I put them in.

Edit: With that being said, Lizardmen are still fun as hell to play and I can't wait to try out the skaven.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wind Blast in heavens is stupidly good, it mulches like an entire unit of helf archers in one shot. I don't even have the gates down in this siege battle and my skink priest has like 300 kills already

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I got a blessed spawning of three saurus units on turn four. They sure are putting in some work already

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
someone remind me the differences between hard, very hard, and legendary?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really don't like either Southlands start.

Tyrion is fun. Murder elfs, murder the other elfs, gently caress with people.

Malekith is fun. Murder elfs, murder the other elfs, gently caress with people.

Lustria is loving hotzone central. It's constantly popping off between Morathi/Mazdamundi and Teclis/Skrolk, plus all the other factions there. The whole "Luthor Harkon doesn't even exist, VC will be a DLC...." stuff is cool for like, when that is released, but if feels a little off right now.

Southlands just feels loving barren. It's Queek vs Kroq'gar no other options, and that's not a fun fight for either. Once you beat your rival the whole map feels unfinished. Go north and fight not yet Araby. Go north and fight not yet Tomb Kings. It feels super unfinished, and both campaigns I started on Southlands feel almost like an early access version of this game.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Finally got some free time to actually play the game. Dipped my toes with a bit of everyone but the High Elves and Mazdamundi.

-Southlands loving sucks. Both Queek and Kroq-Gar's starts are boring and worse for being so close together. Inevitably playing one I'd run into a doomstack of the other and we'd sit a settlement apart glaring angrily while building emergency stacks to drum up the numbers.

-Malakith's start also sucks. Beastmen pop up if you so much as sneeze, everyone hates you and inevitably one of the Norse factions will crush a lesser Delf faction and start rolling around with at least 4 stacks full of chariots.

-Caster Lords are so much fun holy poo poo. Skrolk, Mothrai and Malakith can pretty much solo things with a well-placed Pestilant Breath/Bladewind and that's hilarious.

-Maybe it's just the way I play games, but the ritual mechanic always makes me feel rushed, even if things haven't gotten dire yet. Even with the Chaos endgame in 1 I felt like I could take a breather, build up what I have. This game I feel like I have to constantly be on the assault, even if things seem quiet.

-The AI seems to have regressed since 1. Multiple times they'd abandon a built up city in favour of a smaller settlement, or even go colonise a ruin once they spotted me getting too close. They've still retained their lust for building redundant buildings in the same province. Skaven AI seems to love clumping up on one spot on the battlefield, any flanking is purely accidental.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Mans posted:

It's possible to change some AI parameters to make it a bit more challenging, i'm not sure what CA did here but the AI is absolutely incompetent and it kinda throws the challenge away.

Yeah I've dealt with similar problems on my end. In particular I've had an army of Dorfs that could have crushed me and instead stood just outside of skirmisher range, getting pounded by arty until I ran out of ammo and then just stood there until the timer ran out.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Buffs enemies statistically, no change to AI behavior. Set it only as high as you hate yourself.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Going off of TWW1 since haven't used PFM (if it works yet?) to look at it in the second game:

In the Battle Layer you lose leadership on all troops at each step up while enemy troops gain leadership/other stats at a % rate. This basically is a check on using quick-rout strategies that the AI cannot or loading up on high stat units early and punishes your own mistakes a bit more. Map Layer AI gets things like more recruitment slots, more income, and more public order bonuses while you get more public order penalties. This is so they can actually keep pumping out armies effectively without having to fuss over territory management and, if it's as extreme as the first game, the public order bonuses will be big enough to basically prevent the same level of rebellion cheese as previous games allowed. On Legendary you are also in ironman and battle realism mode, so you cannot manually save, the game auto-saves every action, you cannot pause battles and you cannot move the battle camera beyond your troop's field of view.

If it's any different for the second game it's likely stuff like more passive ritual resource gains or more slaves gained per battle for delves and such. I've noticed the AI does seem to advance rituals faster on higher difficulties just from playing around. Basic idea of each difficulty increase is to cut down on cheese and punish mistakes more heavily. In a lot of previous games the first part of that usually failed so the end result was a bunch of annoyances you could still cheese through anyway--though why not just play on a lower difficulty and not cheese at all--but at least for TWW1 I felt it was a decent balance once you got used to stuff like your own lords failing to duel other lords. Haven't played far enough in TWW2 to have a real opinion here beyond "Very Hard feels fine I guess".

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So the high elf ritual Vaul's something or other gives you a bunch of buffs to elite units, but it also gives you an ability you can use in siege battles. Infinite range, targets any wall section and it literally explodes, killing the poor units standing on top of it. Mosey on up to a lizardmen capital with my teclis early game stack of spears and archers, no time waiting to build seige weapons, just waltz right in the new door

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

SteelMentor posted:

Finally got some free time to actually play the game. Dipped my toes with a bit of everyone but the High Elves and Mazdamundi.

-Southlands loving sucks. Both Queek and Kroq-Gar's starts are boring and worse for being so close together. Inevitably playing one I'd run into a doomstack of the other and we'd sit a settlement apart glaring angrily while building emergency stacks to drum up the numbers.

-Malakith's start also sucks. Beastmen pop up if you so much as sneeze, everyone hates you and inevitably one of the Norse factions will crush a lesser Delf faction and start rolling around with at least 4 stacks full of chariots.

-Caster Lords are so much fun holy poo poo. Skrolk, Mothrai and Malakith can pretty much solo things with a well-placed Pestilant Breath/Bladewind and that's hilarious.

-Maybe it's just the way I play games, but the ritual mechanic always makes me feel rushed, even if things haven't gotten dire yet. Even with the Chaos endgame in 1 I felt like I could take a breather, build up what I have. This game I feel like I have to constantly be on the assault, even if things seem quiet.

-The AI seems to have regressed since 1. Multiple times they'd abandon a built up city in favour of a smaller settlement, or even go colonise a ruin once they spotted me getting too close. They've still retained their lust for building redundant buildings in the same province. Skaven AI seems to love clumping up on one spot on the battlefield, any flanking is purely accidental.

Yeah the Southlands seem almost incidental to the Vortex race which makes sense if that continent will be the focus of the Tomb Kings and Araby not-Vortex campaigns. For now it's just a big blob of lovely climate provinces.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm wondering if warp lightning cannons are the best artillery unit in either game. They are absolutely devastating.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If Malekith was doing the wrong thing he would not have ended being in charge of all the elves :smug:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Southlands is weird cuz right now it's boring, but later on it'll be extremely crowded.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hard: You get leadership and public order penalties, AI gets bonuses to those and extra background income for each AI faction

Very Hard: You get even more leadership and public order penalties, AI gets even more bonuses to income, public order, and leadership

Legendary: All of the penalties for you and bonuses for the enemy. Also you can no longer issue orders while paused in combat, you dont get to see the balance of forces bar, and I think you also cant manually save right before a battle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

I'm wondering if warp lightning cannons are the best artillery unit in either game. They are absolutely devastating.

Pre-release I was expecting them to be another case of the luminark of hyst since the projectile looks similar and them being useless and never firing, is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pre-release I was expecting them to be another case of the luminark of hyst since the projectile looks similar and them being useless and never firing, is that not the case?

well you get 3 per unit, so by my rat math, that makes them at least 3x better than a luminark