Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
To those that have played skaven, can someone break down their ranged units for me? it's a bit daunting compared to other races when each category is a dozen different things, some unique, some slight variations and 50-100g differences and a bunch of unit cards of rats in various outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Love reading these. Warhammer lore is so rich and flavorful, but it must be such a massive undertaking to get into it. Are there any good books about Skaven i could get on my kindle?

Perestroika posted:

I've tried upgrading the Rain of Souls (the one with the large area and several projectiles) and found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. The main downside of the upgrades is that they also increase the cooldown, including the one before you can use them first. At the highest level you can probably only use them once per battle, if that. That said, the damage does increase massively. One time the stars aligned and I was able to drop it on a tight cluster of three swordmasters, and it all but wiped them out from full health in one go. It's just a bit difficult to engineer a situation where half the effect isn't hitting either empty dirt or your own people.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably pick the middle one (name is about a cauldron?) that has just a single projectile with a medium area of effect. That one is way easier to place, and with some damage buffs it might well be useful to decimate a particular elite unit of your choice.

The one that has no AoE at all doesn't seem to be worth upgrading ever. Like the description suggests, it's mostly good for sniping artillery pieces. One shot of the unupgraded version seems already enough to wreck most of them with a single hit (at least Bolt Throwers), so you really want to keep the shorter cooldown on that to kill them more quickly.

Thank you! I'll probably level only the middle one then since i agree with everything you said.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Thank you! I'll probably level only the middle one then since i agree with everything you said.
It might be worth upgrading the anti-artillery one at least once because it definitely can't smash Hellcannons in one shot and they're up there in terms of dangerousness. I agree that maxing them out is a bit too much probably, but going to the first upgrade is probably worthwhile. I wish there was a way to pick which shot you could fire, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Just watched my intervention force, the chaos spawn, and the Mung and Aghol raze a path through Malekiths lands (well, the Mung just scooped up all the ruins) very satisfying. Of course, my mistake was calling in the intervention force on the first turn so by the time the ritual was up he had re-taken the ritual site but next time we'll get him

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To those that have played skaven, can someone break down their ranged units for me? it's a bit daunting compared to other races when each category is a dozen different things, some unique, some slight variations and 50-100g differences and a bunch of unit cards of rats in various outfits.

Yeah, I'd really appreciate a breakdown / guide for skaven too. I've been doinking around with Pestilens on Hard but I can't figure out what I'm doing really.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

-Thanquol survived into AoS, somehow. He hasn't shown up yet, all we know is that it is the same Thanquol as WFB (though not the same Boneripper, he's went through a few dozen more since then) and the lore team has 'plans' for him.

If you are wondering who Thanquol is, this is a distillation:

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

People keep talking about how easy High Elves are, but I am losing in the campaign map because I don't have any money and both my provinces are on the verge of rebellion all the time. It's about turn 25 with Teclis, I wiped out the Xeti Guardians and took the ritual resource site from the Dark Elves but their capital is fortified. I have a stack of 15-20 Sea guard and archers, and have leveled up all the best spells. My settlements are all green buildings but I still can't stabilize. What gives?! Very Hard difficulty.

Also lol one of the Saurus Oldblood names is Sinclair, the name of the family in "Dinosaurs!"

- Teclis is a harder start than Tyrion.
- If it's turn 15-20, you can't afford an army full of Sea Guard. Early High Elf armies should be basic spearmen and basic bowmen only (can squeeze in 1-3 bolt throwers if you can get them, but it's not worth waiting around for the building to complete). Ditch the phoenix (on both lords), it won't pull it's weight.
- Fortified settlements are easy to take as the high elves, as you can usually position your archers away from the bulk of tower damage and massacre the defenders.
- If your main army is cheap and effective, then you can quickly recruit a throwaway lord + a few units to defend against a rebellion. Capitals have strong garrisons and the AI is hopeless.

The trick is to keep your early armies cheap, so you can keep moving and upgrade what you're taking.

Beer Hall Putz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Starting to get really tired of the stacks that spawn in when you start a ritual. It would be fine if they only focused on the ritual settlements since you can plan around that but instead you get 6 skaven stacks spawning in a random part of your empire who happily starts razing every single settlement. It's like a really lovely version of the chaos invasion in the first game, at least in that one the stacks didn't come from nowhere.

The interventions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 30, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kainser posted:

Starting to get really tired of the stacks that spawn in when you start a ritual. It would be fine if they only focused on the ritual settlements since you can plan around that but instead you get 6 skaven stacks spawning in a random part of your empire who happily starts razing every single settlement. It's like a really lovely version of the chaos invasion in the first game, at least in that one the stacks didn't come from nowhere.

The incursions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

To be fair, at that point your very close to winning the game, you can crack a few eggs to make that omelette, but it would be nice if they couldn't move the turn they spawned so you had a chance to react.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's nice that Malekith's first story battle is against Chaos because it demonstrates how thoroughly you can gently caress up armored armies with dark elf ranged units. I had 3 units of ranged dark riders in skirmish mode and they had decimated half the army before the fight even really started.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dongattack posted:

Love reading these. Warhammer lore is so rich and flavorful, but it must be such a massive undertaking to get into it. Are there any good books about Skaven i could get on my kindle?

Good? no.

There is one book about the Pestilens skaven clan though: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29421712-skaven-pestilens

Goons over in the warhammer book barn thread can help you out more:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Warhammer Fantasy

WHF is much less popular than 40k, and there are fewer books out to reflect this. Still, there are some great stories out there. The cream of the crop includes:

Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance duology, by Chris Wraight. If I could only recommend one thing from WHF fiction, it would be this. Great story about two rival heroes in the Empire.
Gotrek and Felix books 1-7, by William King. Super-fun, funny, and action-packed adventure series.
Fell Cargo, by Dan Abnett. Pirates take on monsters, magic, the undead, and other pirates. Swashbuckly as heck.
Honourkeeper, by Nick Kyme. Dwarves beat the poo poo out of everything.
Malus Darkblade series, by Mike Lee. Interesting character, interesting books. Gives a cool look at Dark Elf society.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

The incursions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

The weird thing is that sometimes the game actually does it right. On the last ritual all the stacks spawned about 3-4 turns' worth of travel away from my borders, and there was a deliberate camera pan that showed me where they'd be coming from. It was tight, but gave me just enough time to redeploy my armies to meet they reached my borders. If it worked like that every time, it would be far less of a hassle. It almost seems like the former version is how it's intended to work all the time, but something just causes the spawning logic to spaz out and dump them anywhere there's space more than half the time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think it shows you the 3 cities for the ritual so you can have your guys near those cities. I think if your going for the ritual route of the campaign its better to not expand across the map.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

It feels like, as Mazdamundi, you should try and make contact with High Elves/Southlands Lizards as early as you can get away with. Early quests and missions will keep you afloat in income for a while, but Mazda's area has so many trade goods that you can't use with all the belligerent dickheads around you.

I am so poor :negative:

I tried that. Turns out that -10 diplomacy penalty Ol'Mazzy has turns everyone into a belligerent dickhead. And once you pop a ritual, forget it, making contact more often then not leads to a war declaration :ughh:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'd really appreciate a breakdown / guide for skaven too. I've been doinking around with Pestilens on Hard but I can't figure out what I'm doing really.

Here's my go to strats.

- Clanrats aren't great for Pestilins. They cost "too much" for what they do, and they aren't significantly better then slaves. You really don't care about your frontline, it exists only to tarpit. This is made up for by everything else you have doing the murdering. They work better for Queek however due to the -Upkeep% stuff eventually making them about slave cost.

- Plague Monks are your core "real" line for Pestilins. Stormvermin fill this role as Queek. These are the units you use to engage actual enemy forces/do pushes with. I imagine endgame armies for both will mainly be using these troops.

- Your starting Censers are armor piercing. Use them against Saurus units.

- Your artillery is Dwarf level good. You need artillery and you need it ASAP. More importantly, you don't give a poo poo about your tarpit because it's just slaves. Fire directly into your tarpit so the AI doesn't run away from your artillery. You can always buy more slaves, so don't worry about how badly they get hurt. Literally, you can buy 3 more slave units a turn at something like 100 gold per, and since they break and rout more often then not, they'll usually survive a battle with survivors enough to replenish anyway.

- You'll be facing a lot of Lizardmen, who have a lot of armor. Grab Wither ASAP, and make sure to be casting poison on your guys every fight. It brings the Lizardmen down to your level. Yes the -armor spell hits your troops as well, but your troops don't even know what armor is to begin with, meanwhile it'll cause the Lizards to mass die out.

- Abuse your poison blasts. The one Skrolk starts with is absurd, and will easily kill 40% of a Saurus unit when hit properly. It'll kill your guys as well, but once again, slaves. All magic in this game is good now, but Skaven magic is significantly better because you can tarpit the entire enemy army so well.

- Abuse the AI not knowing where your cities are. You barely need to defend your homes since the AI doesn't know where anything is. For example with the starter Lizardman faction, you can take the city to your left, then leave and go south to crush the two cities to your south without ever worrying about their harder to grab Capital. You can then go take all those open settlements around the Elf Citadel and start beating them up before ever heading back. It's really helpful. On that note as well, abuse the gently caress out of city defend. The AI both gets absurd autoresolve chances to you/doesn't seem to see garrisons at all, so I've had tons of battles where the AI just waltzed into a battle it'll never beat.

My usual army strat in the early/mid game is group 1 all my skavenslaves and spread them out so the enemy has lots of things to get tarpitted by. Have my slingers behind them shooting into the melee. Have 2-3 artillery just blasting the biggest center masses of the horde, killing my guys and theirs combined. Then have Skrolk/Censers in group 2 microing into the more important fights ( Enemy Lords, heavy armored stuff ), my Plague Monks in group 3 being microed to where the line is faltering ( and then stop firing on those locations because suddenly useful rats are in the fight ), and my Rat Ogres/Doomwheels just cause chaos.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do all sides get increasing higher upkeeps per lord or is that just a dark elf thing? With 10 lords it was at 105% upkeep.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Beer Hall Putz posted:

- Teclis is a harder start than Tyrion.
- If it's turn 15-20, you can't afford an army full of Sea Guard. Early High Elf armies should be basic spearmen and basic bowmen only (can squeeze in 1-3 bolt throwers if you can get them, but it's not worth waiting around for the building to complete). Ditch the phoenix (on both lords), it won't pull it's weight.
- Fortified settlements are easy to take as the high elves, as you can usually position your archers away from the bulk of tower damage and massacre the defenders.
- If your main army is cheap and effective, then you can quickly recruit a throwaway lord + a few units to defend against a rebellion. Capitals have strong garrisons and the AI is hopeless.

The trick is to keep your early armies cheap, so you can keep moving and upgrade what you're taking.

Is the Phoenix being bad only a thing on VH? On hard the fire one Tyrion gets has worked out great for me. The enemy archer AI is terrified of it, so just by flying over them they run away and stop shooting. The bombs can rack up decent hp damage the terror it causes is useful. I do agree that after that the best army is nothing but spearmen and archers, which is loving boring as hell. But it works and sadly money doesn't let you do anything else.

Perestroika posted:

The weird thing is that sometimes the game actually does it right. On the last ritual all the stacks spawned about 3-4 turns' worth of travel away from my borders, and there was a deliberate camera pan that showed me where they'd be coming from. It was tight, but gave me just enough time to redeploy my armies to meet they reached my borders. If it worked like that every time, it would be far less of a hassle. It almost seems like the former version is how it's intended to work all the time, but something just causes the spawning logic to spaz out and dump them anywhere there's space more than half the time.

Wow that almost makes them sound bearable. And yeah I don't really get the suck it up thing, since even the second ritual spawned four full armies of Skaven and Chaos, far too much for one of my crappy armies (crappy because I had no gold to field anything good), to take.

Like if I was going to mod anything, I'd want there to be more gold/less upkeep so you can field enough armies to cover the massive map, and if we can't make the ritual stacks actually spawn and approach or JUST focus the ritual cities, remove their siege weapons.

You know, beyond getting someone with actual skill to make it so that the high elves are actually gender balanced as they should. :argh:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the first few ritual spawns were great. I was playing as Morathi and they all spawned to the west of the narrow mountain corridor you have next to her capital which felt pretty appropriate. It's just the last two where the game went 'lol gently caress you' and dumped 6 top tier stacks in the middle of my territory.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Getting upkeep reduction skills on lords and building defenses in my villages makes a big difference. I've almost kicked Malekith off Ulthuan now!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Do all sides get increasing higher upkeeps per lord or is that just a dark elf thing? With 10 lords it was at 105% upkeep.

All sides get it. It's significantly more notable for Lizardmen, because Saurus are 'speeeeensive.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Total War: Warhammer 2 - Squirt musk of fear, Queek-Queek is here!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
feeling very triumphant launching a 5 stack invasion of Ulthuan with Malekith at the head, Tyrion bout to get wrecked

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I accidentally hit some button, it seems, that turned off the indicator for campaign movement range - no more yellow area in which my units can move, so now I have to guess where I'm moving to. Anyone know how to turn it back on?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

Is the Phoenix being bad only a thing on VH? On hard the fire one Tyrion gets has worked out great for me. The enemy archer AI is terrified of it, so just by flying over them they run away and stop shooting. The bombs can rack up decent hp damage the terror it causes is useful. I do agree that after that the best army is nothing but spearmen and archers, which is loving boring as hell. But it works and sadly money doesn't let you do anything else.

For teclis, the first like 5-6 turns are spent colonizing the ruins in your province, and as nice as having an early game phoenix is, it's basically a 4000 gold investment before you ever start seeing any action, which is a ton of money that early

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Teclis is probably the easiest Vortex campaign honestly, followed by Mazdamundi.

Both are in ready access to 2 of the Ritual Sites, and can get 3 with little effort. Both also start in extremely defendable areas you don't really have much need to expand out of.

Both are also huge force multipliers.

Morathi is probably in a similar boat. Go down and murder Mazdamundi, then settle in for the long haul.

It seems for some factions you want to Ritual as often as possible ( easy to defend guys like Teclis ), with others you want to map paint and kill the other guys before dealing with the Ritual. Seems like with how easy the final battle is, on Tyrion/Malekith/Queek/Kroq'gar it might be easier to just map paint the other races off the map until you can just do the Ritual with ease.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Teclis will probably have a harder start when those conspicuously empty desert ruins in the south become the new Tomb Kings starting location for Khalida (or whoever the other LL is)

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Eimi posted:

They cost something crazy like 500 gold per turn upkeep. High elf replenishment and early economy are both dreadful (not sure why people are complaining about public order). Bombs are useful for gate guards, but archers are always going to perform better for the cost early on. The real problem is they're going to get injured fairly often and waiting for replenishment just isn't worth the extra turns with a main army. They also suffer from the same problem that cavalry does on higher difficulties. Nothing breaks until it's pretty much dead and your 'anti-infantry' cav gets murdered after charging in, because said infantry outnumber them and don't give a poo poo.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Beer Hall Putz posted:

They cost something crazy like 500 gold per turn upkeep. High elf replenishment and early economy are both dreadful (not sure why people are complaining about public order). Bombs are useful for gate guards, but archers are always going to perform better for the cost early on. The real problem is they're going to get injured fairly often and waiting for replenishment just isn't worth the extra turns with a main army. They also suffer from the same problem that cavalry does on higher difficulties. Nothing breaks until it's pretty much dead and your 'anti-infantry' cav gets murdered after charging in, because said infantry outnumber them and don't give a poo poo.

Eh, I've tried both elf starts on VH and the phoenix always puts in insane work for me while never really taking any appreciable damage, and Teclis can just regrowth his whenever anyway.

500 upkeep might sound like a lot but on VH that's like 3 T1 units, max. I'll take a flying terror bomb with AP damage over 3 fodder units any day.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Just had a Skaven rebel named stretch. That is all I wanted to say.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just had a Skaven rebel named stretch. That is all I wanted to say.

The best rat name I’ve seen yet is « Transiform Stabb »

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm actually starting a Teclis campaign now.

In my Skrolk campaign I just attacked everyone, and was at war with everyone. I won by murdering Mazdamundi/Teclis/Morathi and then just bunkering down against Tyrion/Malekith.

So how does Diplomacy work with the Ritual stuff?

If I Military Ally with Mazdamundi, will I get access to his Ritual Resources.

If we are allies, will he break the alliance to war dec/attack me during Rituals?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

All I've used influence for as Teclis is recruiting lords and uniting a grand military alliance of elves, men, dwarves, lizards, and even a rogue army, all against the ratmen that own half the continent

pro teclis start tip: use your first hero to immediately sail to Ulthuan for those sweet sweet trade agreements

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 1, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rookersh posted:

So I'm actually starting a Teclis campaign now.

In my Skrolk campaign I just attacked everyone, and was at war with everyone. I won by murdering Mazdamundi/Teclis/Morathi and then just bunkering down against Tyrion/Malekith.

So how does Diplomacy work with the Ritual stuff?

If I Military Ally with Mazdamundi, will I get access to his Ritual Resources.

If we are allies, will he break the alliance to war dec/attack me during Rituals?

You can make treaties and even alliances with other major factions but as you do more rituals, relations will deteriorate. Eventually I think all the ritual competitors will be at war with each other.

There's no ritual resource sharing in singleplayer.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Which lines are best to focus on for Kroq-gar? I've got a hodgepodge of blue line and unique yellows, but I have the feeling I could skill him much better.

Also RIP my starting skink priest, too cool for this world.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My starting skink priest is practically at level cap and regularly racks up 200 kills a battle. You go little skink :3:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

Playing this my first Total War game. Lizards on Normal. I took both Norse occupied settlements. Public order got bad. Dark Elves and Skaven declared war on me simultaneously. While I was sitting my newest Ziggurat, a two unit Norse dude rocked up and 'encircled' my massive army and main dude, and for some reason that means I can't use them. I made a new lord and built him a small army to waltz over and relieve him. Immediately ambushed by a 20 unit Skaven war party. More Skaven appeared by my capital. They went into rebellion because of a military presence. Some other army appeared from the jungle.

I'm just going to re-load. What's the advice for sieging? Seems crazy that I can't just walk out my front door and attack. Was I just not seeing an option or something?

Could it be you left your army in march stance? They can't initiate fights like that, even if it's a new turn and they have all their movement points.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, I was sort of struggling with Mazdamundi (I'm actually behind in the race, Malekith has gone full-crazy and is way ahead), and wasn't feeling it until Skrolk decided to sail up the east coast and try to take out the ritual resource site just north of Hexoatl. The garrison included an Old-Blood and a Skink Priest, two temple guards, a stegadon, a solar engine, several saurus/skinks, cold one riders, and, crucially, three units of Kroxigors. About 700-900 lizardmen, roughly? Skrolk had two stacks with just over 4000 Skaven. Balance of Power was heavily in his favor.

Of course, Saurus are loving BEASTS and held off assaults on the walls and gates while I spammed Flock of Doom on giant clumps of rats and used the cavalry/towers to deal with their artillery and skirmishers. Skrolk ate poo poo thanks to the Kroxigors and the Old Blood. The Stegadon had an epic charge through the broken gates, directly through piles of rats, and killed over 400 by itself.

I wasn't really "getting it" until that moment. Lizardmen own.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ok we need to talk about something

all those unique buildings

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are any of the upgrades to the Black Arks bombardment abilities particularly good?

I found the Black Ark bombardments to be incredibly lackluster until upgraded, at which point they become absolutely absurd and re far better than any spell. It ups their cooldown but it is absolutely worth it for the devastation they can cause. Better to annihilate enemy units once or twice than to tickle them 2-3 times. The only stinker is the homing one that's supposed to be used against a single enemy. Even maxed out it does gently caress all. The rest? Hell yeah.

The small aoe one says it's made for anti-artillery but you really don't need to use it specifically for that. It's the most damaging of the bunch. Like all of the Black Ark bombardments, it can be used on walls. Chosen or Swordmasters just climb up a siege tower and are clumped up at its mouth? Forget blasting at artillery; hit that infantry and they'll go from 100% hp to 5% hp instantly. Super useful against ritual stacks attacking your cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Krazyface posted:

Could it be you left your army in march stance? They can't initiate fights like that, even if it's a new turn and they have all their movement points.

He's probably trying to attack the non-sieging army