Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

cptn_dr posted:

Sorry if it's been asked before and I've missed it, but if I wanted to read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, what would be the best way to do that? Is there a particularly well regarded/definitive/ actually available edition I should be looking for?

Pretty much my only exposure to Duck comics has been these four episodes of Duck Tales and hazy memories of Darkwing Duck from when I was about 6, so I'd like to rectify that.

Excerpt from an earlier post:

Ballz posted:

The one thing that will probably be repeatedly referenced in this thread is Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck." It's a multi-part series Rosa did in the 90s (and won him an Eisner Award) that follows Scrooge from being a Glasgow pauper to richest duck in the world. The new DuckTales series is taking inspiration from a lot of this, although it's not an adaptation.

There've been a couple of trade paperbacks devoted exclusively to this series, but they're out of print, so they tend to be overpriced. If you want the original comics, you'll find it in Uncle Scrooge #285 through #296. Go digging in your local comic store's back issues, they'll probably be fairly cheap (incidentally you'll find a few of my letters to the editor in a couple of those issues :shobon:)

But good news, there's an easier way! Fantagraphics is releasing a 10-volume hardcover collection compiling every Don Rosa comic. I think we're up to volume 7 now, and each go for about 20 bucks. If you're looking for just the original Life of Scrooge series, it's in volumes 4 and 5. But seriously just get all of them, all of his stories are excellent.

The original Life of Scrooge was a 12-part series, although Rosa did various "in-between" chapters over the years so they might not be included in volumes 4 and 5. You'll either have to find the now out-of-print Life of Scrooge Companion book or just keep on buying those Don Rosa Library volumes.

My suggestion? Start with Volumes 4 and 5 and if you like what you see, go and get all the other volumes. Even the non-Life of Scrooge stuff is excellent.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Test Pattern posted:

It's Porco Rosso but everyone are animals. So yes.

Check out Tales of the Gold Monkey. It's proto-Talespin. It even has a character named Louie who owns a place called The Monkey Bar.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Disney's PK: Out of the Shadows got a North American release for PS2 and Gamecube in 2002... for whatever reason.

Was that any good? I might try to pick it up used for the Gamecube.

EDIT: Oh my god, I can see some real comedy potential with goody-goody Huey in an abusive internship.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 29, 2017

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here are the upcoming episodes and their stated air dates.

Episode 4 "The Beagle Birthday Massacre!" September 30
Episode 5 "Escape To/From Atlantis!" October 3rd
Episode 6 "Terror of the Terra-firmians!" October 7th
Episode 7 "The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!" October 13th
Episode 8 "The House of the Lucky Gander!" October 21st
Episode 9 "The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!" October 28th

Found a synopsis of the episodes from here: http://disneytvanimation.com/post/165799406218
Huey and Webby get their own little adventure together it seems. I'm looking forward to that Gladstone episode!

DuckTales “Terror of the Terra-firmians!”
(8:00 – 8:30 A.M. EDT)
Huey and Webby’s disagreement over the existence of a mythic species leads the kids to explore an eerie abandoned subway tunnel, while Mrs. Beakley grows suspicious of Lena.

DuckTales “The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!”
Huey competes with Dewey for a coveted internship with Duckburg’s newest tech billionaire, Mark Beaks, while Scrooge and Glomgold team up to take this new competitor down.
*Josh Brener (“Silicon Valley”) guest stars as Mark Beaks.

DuckTales “The House of the Lucky Gander!”
Donald competes with his cousin Gladstone Gander to impress Louie at a mysterious resort in Macaw, while Scrooge tries to lure the kids away from the resort’s endless distractions.
*Paul F. Tompkins (“Bajillion Dollar Propertie$”) guest stars as Gladstone Gander, and B.D. Wong (“Mr. Robot”) guest stars as Toad Liu Hai.

DuckTales “The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!”
In a lost pyramid, Louie interprets a pharaoh’s prophecy to his advantage, forcing Scrooge and Launchpad to convince a group of living mummies to rescue him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lena is a name I don't recognise there.

Looks like we're getting some overdue Huey episodes, but they're going to be getting a lot of mileage out of Louie. That's the fun of having a morally dubious character; there's so much you can do with them that would be out of character or in bad taste for more traditionally heroic ones.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm personally excited for the episode where Webby goes up against Indiana Jones and shows him how to get poo poo done

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MichiganCubbie posted:

Check out Tales of the Gold Monkey. It's proto-Talespin. It even has a character named Louie who owns a place called The Monkey Bar.

Lots of Raiders of the Lost Ark copycats showing up throughout the eighties, but Raiders itself counted old Carl Barks Duck comics among its influences because Lucas and Spielberg both liked them when they were kids.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Lena is a name I don't recognise there.

Looks like we're getting some overdue Huey episodes, but they're going to be getting a lot of mileage out of Louie. That's the fun of having a morally dubious character; there's so much you can do with them that would be out of character or in bad taste for more traditionally heroic ones.

She's a new character in this Saturday's episode. I think there should be a promo video but the Disney XD youtube channel isn't available in my region.

DuckTales “The Beagle Birthday Massacre!”
(7:00 – 7:30 A.M. EDT)
After crashing Ma Beagle’s birthday party, Webby and new mysterious friend Lena must fight their way through Beagle Boy turf to get back home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Suddenly picturing a duck version of The Warriors.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bet are on Lena ether being related to or being a disguise of Magica.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So she's Magica de Spell then? Though honestly, it'd be nice if she was just a weirdo and Beakly's suspicions are unfounded and solely her own over protective instincts just so Webby could have her own friend in the odd episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall reading a comic where Magica de Spell has a niece she occasionally looks after (because everyone has to have a niece or nephew) who's a bit interested in magic but not evil, and friends with... either Webby or Daisy Duck's niece that basically fills the same role, which of course gets involved in a scheme to get the Number One Dime.

In any case, I think I recall they had something special planned for Magica de Spell, though she doesn't appear in the intro. (Which has, iirc; Glomgold, Gabby McStabberson, the wolf brothers, and the Beagle Boys, and possibly Mark Beaks?)

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm actually really hoping Gabby and the Wolf Brothers come back too. They were fun punch clock villains.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Y'know, I was thinking back on the final episode released for the old DuckTales (the one with the golden goose), and imagining it (or something similiar) happening in the new DuckTales. I think it would have potentially interesting in what would have stayed the same and what would have been different.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nerdman42 posted:

I'm actually really hoping Gabby and the Wolf Brothers come back too. They were fun punch clock villains.

They're in the intro, likely they're gonna be recurrers. They are low-rent henchmen, so probably going to be in various employs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Inescapable Duck posted:

They're in the intro, likely they're gonna be recurrers. They are low-rent henchmen, so probably going to be in various employs.

I'm gonna be disappointed in their life choices if they work for Glomgold again. Unless they make him pay in advance, at least.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean yeah working in a Nazi munitions factory would screw anybody up.

Hahaha

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

VibrantPareidolia posted:

DuckTales “Terror of the Terra-firmians!”
Huey and Webby’s disagreement over the existence of a mythic species leads the kids to explore an eerie abandoned subway tunnel, while Mrs. Beakley grows suspicious of Lena.

Holy poo poo, they're doing (potential spoiler) these guys for episode 5? I love this show.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mimir posted:

Holy poo poo, they're doing (potential spoiler) these guys for episode 5? I love this show.

Yep they're definitely gonna be in this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So uh.

Now we know how Magica fits in.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

We'll leave Louie, he's bad at most things!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

kidcoelacanth posted:

We'll leave Louie, he's bad at most things!

I loved that after he says that you can see Louie being carried off by birds in the background :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it appears (Spoilers for this episode.)

That Lena is an adaption of Minima De Spell

Minima like Lena here befriended Webby in the comics. She is fairly obscure over here mainly being used in Italian comics.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The episode aired guys, I don't think we need to tag everything :v:

Anyway, the episode was a decent and appreciated Warriors pastiche, but unfortunately I'm less a fan of it than I was of the previous episodes. Webby and Lena's interactions especially felt pretty rote, which is unfortunate since the writing's been pretty original otherwise thus far. Still, the jokes were solid, the dunking on Louie was pretty great, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with Lena and Webby's friendship, especially once it's eventually revealed who Lena's working for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The episode aired guys, I don't think we need to tag everything :v:

Anyway, the episode was a decent and appreciated Warriors pastiche, but unfortunately I'm less a fan of it than I was of the previous episodes. Webby and Lena's interactions especially felt pretty rote, which is unfortunate since the writing's been pretty original otherwise thus far. Still, the jokes were solid, the dunking on Louie was pretty great, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with Lena and Webby's friendship, especially once it's eventually revealed who Lena's working for.

We know who Lena is working for.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know who Lena is working for.

Probably could've phrased that better, we know who Lena's working for, but what I meant is it'll be interesting to see what happens when Webby finds out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Suddenly picturing a duck version of The Warriors.

Congrats on being prescient. They even had the bottles. Though no clinking.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Man, I am curious what Magica’s deal is. Is she just far away or is she trapped in some kind of shadow realm? What’s her history with Scrooge? Why is Lena doing this? So many questions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Solaris Knight posted:

Man, I am curious what Magica’s deal is. Is she just far away or is she trapped in some kind of shadow realm? What’s her history with Scrooge? Why is Lena doing this? So many questions.

I thought it was obvious: Webby teaching Lena the value of family ironically convinced her to side with her evil aunt, which is going to bite them in the tail feathers later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was pretty good, new Webby continues to be great and bringing in Magica's niece from the comics (albeit with a different name and appearance) was an interesting idea. Counting the original show, was this the first Ducktales episode in which Scrooge makes no appearance?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 1, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solaris Knight posted:

I assume she was just far away and that was just a magic way of contacting her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I am weirdly prescient when it comes to this episode, complete with Magica's niece and the Warriors pastiche and all. Also was right that Webby's taking the role that Daisy's niece did in the comics, from what I recall reading.

Looks like this version of Magica DeSpell is gonna be a lot less... mundane at the core than she was in the comics, likely one of the more powerful antagonists rather than a comical one.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I hope they don't do something dumb like make Della turn out to be Magica or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alacron posted:

I hope they don't do something dumb like make Della turn out to be Magica or something.

That's been one of the more common theories, although split between her actually being Magica or just being possessed by her or something

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

Doubtful given she has already been described as Italian and just had her niece show up.

Anyway I have a feeling Magica will likely become more active later in the season rather then right away. Magica is also only villain who is interested in Scrooges Dime and I have little doubt she won't be trying to steal it for the whole series.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I was really hoping for a Jackie Chan homage shot, when the truck was driving into that alleyway. But I guess Lena isn't as good at wall running as Webby or him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like the touch that Webby can do a pretty good British accent what with being raised by a British grandma and her Scottish employer.

Also interesting that there's some tension between her and the triplets; while not the single-minded trio they were in previous versions, being siblings the same age they're still close friends and never really needed anyone else, so even genuine efforts to be friends with someone else are going to be tricky when they're all together. (Webby does get along with them pretty well one on one)

Does make me wonder if we're gonna see recurring pair-ups; Webby and Dewey pursuing the secrets of Della Duck on their own, while Scrooge seems to have taken Louie in particular under his wing, seeing potential for someone a lot like him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was really hoping for a Jackie Chan homage shot, when the truck was driving into that alleyway. But I guess Lena isn't as good at wall running as Webby or him.

I thought the truck getting stuck in the alleyway was a homage to the Simpsons where there did that exact same gag.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought the truck getting stuck in the alleyway was a homage to the Simpsons where there did that exact same gag.

I mean, that's just the kinda thing you'd actually expect to happen in that situation. But which version is cooler? Running up a wall to flip over the front of an incoming truck, or that truck just kinda getting wedged between two walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm catching up and the scene where Mrs Beakley quietly watches Donald causing a gas fire in the swimming pool was loving beautiful.

Donald Duck is my favorite cartoon character of all time and I love watching him lose his poo poo and/or gently caress things up spectacularly :allears: