Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MMF Freeway posted:

I like how each dlc added yet another more difficult NG+ option

The endless dungeon is great, especially with how quick its loot scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The second I heard they'd be releasing the DLC for it way back when, I thought "they'll wait until they're done with the DLC and sell us the whole package on the PC". Right on the money.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Senjuro posted:

How's Tecmo's track record with PC ports?

It's "Wait before you buy" territory. Unless they go out of their way to show us that the game maintains rock-solid 60 FPS without any problems, don't pre-order. Don't even buy on day one.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blattdorf posted:

It's "Wait before you buy" territory. Unless they go out of their way to show us that the game maintains rock-solid 60 FPS without any problems, don't pre-order. Don't even buy on day one.

They may have confirmed it being an awful port already:

quote:

The PC version can be played either on Action Mode, which features a stable 60fps, or on Movie Mode, which is described as a cinematic option that can expand the resolution to 4K. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-02-nioh-confirmed-for-pc-out-november-via-steam

If this means that there's just one setting for visuals.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

That is hilariously and insanely stupid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That makes it sound like it won't even have resolution scaling or support for 1440p.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Sininu posted:

They may have confirmed it being an awful port already:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-02-nioh-confirmed-for-pc-out-november-via-steam

If this means that there's just one setting for visuals.

And there goes all the hype. At least they had the decency to not keep it a launch day surprise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's October so I guess I'm going to replay the FEAR series again and jumpkick spooky ghosts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's worth noting that TK's system "requirements" are almost always obscenely stupid and wrong, like Toukiden 2 needing an i7 at minimum.

e: also I wouldn't really read into a press release like that

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 2, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold

2. Rusty Lake Hotel

The macabre has ironically been beaten to death in the gaming world, what with blood and viscera having become a more common room decor than wallpaper. That makes it all the more refreshing when a game takes a more cerebral approach to murder, such as with a sophisticated murder mystery. If you’ve come to Rusty Lake Hotel looking for that, however, you’re not going to get much more than the appearance of sophistication. There are hints of something special here, but it’s obfuscated by a thin plot, awkward puzzles, and literal boar poo poo.

You are introduced to the proprietor of the Rusty Lake Hotel, one Mr. Owl, as he guides a raft of five guests across the quiet waters to their lodgings. Each of the animal-faced visitors has their own reason for attending Mr. Owl’s gathering, and it’s your job to attend to their needs during their stay. Every evening the guests will set down to dinner, and then afterwards you will follow one of them to their room to assist them in some way. There is an ulterior motive to your service, of course, and it will see more and more vacancies open at the hotel as you progress.

Spoiler alert for the main plot which you will learn about maybe five minutes into the game: The hotel has no main dishes to serve the guests, and said guests happen to be comprised of delicious meats. Whatever you may have been imagining about mysteries and intrigue, you can dump it because what you are actually doing here is murdering guests to feed to other guests. Most of the game takes place in the five rooms of the visitors, where a complex series of puzzles and brain-teasers will allow you to engineer a fatal encounter with the occupant and harvest their flesh. The next day you serve it to whoever remains, and then roll on to the next unlucky critter.

That makes the meat (heh) of the game the puzzles, and this is where most people are going to stumble. Each room is four walls covered with shelves, portraits, tables, and other decor that will be clicked upon and used to eventually kill someone. Expect plenty of locked cabinets with hidden keys, letter and number substitution puzzles, classics like unlabeled weights and measuring water out, and using strange items on other items. About half the puzzles are pretty logical and easy to spot but the other half is the killer, requiring you to click on sprouts until they randomly blossom into keys, or click on toy monkeys in a specific order, or look out a window at the right time, or feed a boar poo poo sandwich to the boar who shat it out. And let me assure you, I do not possess the capacity to make that last one up.

Mr. Boar’s room was where I almost gave up on the game, between the fecal snack and the bleeding toilet and the insipid, confusing puzzle-locked cabinets. I stuck with it to see where the game went and I’m happy to report that the ending is interesting, even if the means of getting there were not. Rusty Lake Hotel feels like an excerpt or aside from a much longer tale, one that needs context that isn’t given anywhere. Things happens because they HAVE to happen to advance the plot, not because they make sense. There’s a dark aura to the proceedings but the ridiculous elements like animal heads and poop take the Lynchian edge off and make it all feel awkward and arbitrary.

This one rides the line between yea and nay moreso than any other game I’ve reviewed thus far. It’s mechanically thin, the puzzles are poorly designed, and what little story there is is tainted by absurdity. But once you understand what it expects of you and what it offers it becomes a much smoother ride, and honestly the ending was a very bright point of darkness that helped color the game in retrospect. It’s hard to recommend but I don’t regret playing it in the end, and I must admit I’m interested in seeing what the rest of the series can offer.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I recall people were making a lot of inaccurate assumptions about K-T's recent Blue Reflection port before release, so it would be better to wait and see just how the Nioh port works. Their current description is a little vague and ambiguous. That said, at least I would be willing to play the game at 60 FPS even if that meant sticking with a lower resolution.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Reading way too much into that press release. It's the same thing they did for the PS4 version. The first mode locks the framerate to 60fps, even if it has to turn settings down. The second mode maxes eyecandy without worrying about the framerate.

Still, it is dumb to buy it before someone has a chance to make sure it is not a bad port in other ways.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What the gently caress?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

wielder posted:

I recall people were making a lot of inaccurate assumptions about K-T's recent Blue Reflection port before release,

To be fair that was prompted by a support desk response and Sophie/Firis having weird issues that happened to include "using lower res assets for some reason".

It turned out fine in the end though, and the two last Musou games have been fine too so, hopefully..

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Augus posted:

What the gently caress?

They're in cahoots with big storage.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Video game devs have given up on compressing poo poo, despite compression tech being better than ever. No gods, no masters, only TB SSDs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't worry about installing the game on an SSD anyways, my PSpoor with stock hard drive takes all of two seconds to load after a death which shows up from software pretty hard. There's one lengthy load to start a level and the performance from then on is fantastic.

I really wish I could figure out nioh. I found it a frustrating case or wanting to like a game but having a hard time actually enjoying it. The game explains fuckall and things constantly happen that make no sense or seem inconsistent with the game's rules as they are presented. I got to halfway through the game and put it on hold because I just had no idea how the game's rules even worked anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seriously though, every game with fashion barbie needs to do nioh's thing and let you make any piece of armor look like any other piece of armor you've found. Thats great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Massocor- :barf:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Nioh is fantastic and if the port is decent it's a must have for character action players. It's like Dark Souls with most of the jank removed.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

For all the none of you who are still playing Hawken, some news just was released regarding it:

Hawken Forums posted:

"Pilots,

It’s been an incredible journey since the introduction of Hawken on Steam, back in 2014. The game’s success has been largely due to your continuous support. The Hawken community has been the cornerstone of this ever-evolving franchise.

After 3 great years, we are shutting down the PC Steam servers to refocus our development efforts. The PC game will officially be removed on January 2, 2018, and all DLC and purchasable content will also be unavailable starting today.

It’s been an incredibly rewarding experience working alongside such a dedicated PC player base. Your feedback and support has been invaluable to us, and the team looks forward to creating more great games based on what we’ve learned from you.

Thank you all very much for your support!

The Hawken Team"

Would've posted this in the Hawken thread, but I just learned it got archived and I never noticed. :geno:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's was dead before it got added to Steam, so honestly it's just surprising it's taken this long. Shame too, was a cool game once upon a time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Was Hawken another case of "incredible artists have no idea how to make a game"? Because I remember it looked absolutely amazing in previews and then when it actually launched no one seemed to care.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah there was a really enjoyable fast paced arena shooter in there with characters being really cool mechs instead of soldier dudes, it just never caught on very hard for various reasons, including the devs being stubborn idiots about Steam for years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Too Shy Guy posted:

Was Hawken another case of "incredible artists have no idea how to make a game"? Because I remember it looked absolutely amazing in previews and then when it actually launched no one seemed to care.

I think so, this first preview I ever saw is still fantastic sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

Kind of like the original new Mechwarrior reveal years ago that never took shape, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWr3ZUQJeo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I didn't much like it since it was an overall HP game rather than hardpoint based, which I'm not that fond of when it comes to mecha. That and even though it's a fast paced game there isn't enough variety in movement options, it's all jet dashes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
With the exception of the hilarious amounts of smoke around the map, that Hawken video is basically the game that got released.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Too Shy Guy posted:

Yes except it was less "they don't know how to make a game" and more "they made a multiplayer only arena shooter out of it". Hawken had everything except for the game mode people actually wanted, which was singleplayer.

It's the same thing that happened to Dreadnought recently. Amazing trailer -> holy poo poo this looks like an amazing 40k-esque capital ship sim -> oh it's a bad mutliplayer only world of tanks clone -> dead.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 2, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
100GB lmao get the gently caress out of here. There needs to be more pushback on this garbage.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

Nioh is fantastic and if the port is decent it's a must have for character action players. It's like Dark Souls with most of the jank removed.

Dark Souls has no jank. That is what makes it Dark Souls.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Too Shy Guy posted:

I enjoyed my time with it, but the devs barely added any content after the initial launch.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Dark Souls has no jank. That is what makes it Dark Souls.

DS1 is one of my favorite games ever and hahahaha no

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dark Souls and Two Worlds created the word jank.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Olive! posted:

DS1 is one of my favorite games ever and hahahaha no

you and I have a very different definition of jank I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

It's not much like Dark Souls at all.

quote:

Ahhhhhh, taint!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

you and I have a very different definition of jank I think.

Most likely you and the world.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

spoken like a person who has never played STALKER.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

spoken like a person who has never played STALKER.

Played it. Not for long though. I couldn't deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

God, I was just thinking about playing Stalker again. I've got the first one and Clear Sky, but which one holds up best? And what about essential mods and such?

Have you not played COP yet? It's definitely the best one from a gameplay/sandbox perspective (SOC still wins in terms of overall atmosphere, I think) and doesn't really need any mod for a first run through, outside of ones that'll pretty it up.