Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Away all Goats posted:

Can someone explain to me what exactly rituals do? Should I be funding intervention armies? Should I be worried someone is past the 2nd 'tier' and I just reached the 1st one?

Rituals give you a nice cut-scene when they're completed. Do all of them to know the whole story for your faction and win the campaign.

Intervention Armies are very hit and miss. Fund them if you got spare cash, don't expect much but sometimes they'll gently caress up half a continent before burning out.

Don't worry at all about the progress of the other races. If they get to the end you get an easy battle to stop them. Though it might indicate they're a pretty juicy target for raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I nearly lost a Grey Seer to disloyalty. But luckily the game give me a chance to give him extra loyalty from him creating a in game event that was pretty much me giving him poo poo and sabotaging myself to keep him around.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

Someone made a video of the various sync attacks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFiuwrGiSI

I really like the Legendary Lord dueling ones, especially Queek V Kroq. :allears:

drat, some of these are really cool. Can you save and view replays of campaign battles? I never take/get the time to look at dudes fighting when i'm actually playing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
LizardBros, how much of your army do you leave for ranged options?

Dongattack posted:

drat, some of these are really cool. Can you save and view replays of campaign battles? I never take/get the time to look at dudes fighting when i'm actually playing.

Yup, it'll ask after every battle. I save the occasional clutch win or even some hilariously one-sided curb stomps.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

Someone made a video of the various sync attacks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFiuwrGiSI

I really like the Legendary Lord dueling ones, especially Queek V Kroq. :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also everyone should play Lizards at some point, because the Lizard cutscenes are loving hilarious.

Everyone else gets self serious cutscenes about their race doing poo poo.

Lizardmen is THE JOURNEY OF THE SKINK FRIEND FROM THE TRAILER AND HIS NATURE FRIENDS THIS KROXIGAR AND A SAURUS AS THE EXPLORE LUSTRIA! LOOK AT WALLS. HAKUNA MATATA.

I'm expecting a musical number at some point.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

Yup, it'll ask after every battle. I save the occasional clutch win or even some hilariously one-sided curb stomps.

Niice, it actually autosaves your last campaign battle AND you can even play it again. Pretty cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Away all Goats posted:

Can someone explain to me what exactly rituals do? Should I be funding intervention armies? Should I be worried someone is past the 2nd 'tier' and I just reached the 1st one?

Don't even bother with an intervention army. They usually die in one turn. Now if you could have your own army to back them up across the map, it might be worth it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do you have to pay upkeep on intervention armies?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dongattack posted:

After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

I wouldn't worry about it, a mod that disabled the ritual system will made quickly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, a mod that disabled the ritual system will made quickly.

I imagine it's pretty much as easy as setting ritual costs to 10000000000000 mcguffins.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Deified Data posted:

Do you have to pay upkeep on intervention armies?

No. They're a separate faction

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

genghispawn posted:

Queek is probably harder. You're surrounded by lizardmen, who are almost invincible to most of your units. You can outnumber Krox'gar by like 2 stacks and STILL lose autoresolve.

In fact, I'm pretty frustrated. Everyone I fight seems to never break and lizardmen saurus just get better instead of breaking. I've had high elf units of like 10 rally repeatedly against me with no general. On normal difficultly.

Yeah I was looking forward to Skaven the most but both starts feel like lizardman central and they're really loving boring to fight, even when I win it's with casualties so bad I have to retreat back to my territory to heal up. As Skrolk I've never even taken the Skaven settlement north with the warpstone bonus because the Itzl faction of Lizardmen just take so long to take out that by the time I have the Skaven have really built up. This game I thought I'd try allying with them and it turns out you can't confederate with them it seems, they had strength 30 something to my 1 and 200 reputation and confederation was still red.

I ended up enjoying my Dark Elf and Lizardmen campaigns a lot more than either Skaven one I've had a go at so far, this third one has gone a little better but it's still been like pulling teeth. I really just want to fight some Dwarves, humans and such as the Skaven, not loving Lizardmen and other Skaven.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You probably should hold out for Mortal Empires to drop, as there's a bunch of PARTY starts for skaven then.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, Skaven really feel more suited for a "wait until we finish WH2!" type thing. Queek is going to be loving awesome to play when that region is swarming with Araby/Tomb Kings messing up the biz, and Skrolk will be much more fun when you have actual Vampire Pirates.

Honestly, the whole Ritual thing feels weird. Both Lizard groups it feels pretty important for, and going for it makes sense.

It makes a decent amount of sense for Teclis, but as Tyrion it feels like you should be focusing on defending Ulthuan/invading Dark Elf lands.

Makes a decent amount of sense as Morathi, but as Malekith it feels like you should be prepping for that Ulthuan invasion rather then sitting there playing thumb up rear end Emperor gathering shards.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I dunno, Skrolk's campaign is probably the most fun out of the 4 factions, his area is crawling with Lizards/Elves/Dwarfs, who inevitably hate your rear end. It makes a fun, challenging little campaign.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

You probably should hold out for Mortal Empires to drop, as there's a bunch of PARTY starts for skaven then.

Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to that. I am probably loving up to be fair, that's usually how each faction I played went in the first game, I'd have to give them a few goes until they clicked. I might be expanding too fast and not getting the good units that really do the damage quick enough. Morathi and Krok'Gar were both a lot more normal starts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Queek will be fun in mortal empires when you start in Skagenblight and use your ratty cunning to beat Skarsnik and Belagor to Karak eight peaks and rule over it on a throne woven with the most lustrous of long beard.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Queek will be fun in mortal empires when you start in Skagenblight and use your ratty cunning to beat Skarsnik and Belagor to Karak eight peaks and rule over it on a throne woven with the most lustrous of long beard.

The entire old world will need buffing or Skaven need deep nerfing. They would style over freaking everyone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

The entire old world will need buffing or Skaven need deep nerfing. They would style over freaking everyone.

Only fitting for the supreme master race.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ammanas posted:

this == not problem, but solution

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

What if we took the already incredibly powerful Vampire Counts and gave them even more freespawn units, the ability to raise dead anywhere on the map instantly for no winds cost, and also gave them the best artillery in the entire game without exception?

This is generally true across the new factions compared to the old ones, to be honest. Comparing the new caster LLs to the old ones is like comparing Goku to a mall cop.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The ritual mechanic sucks because doing it properly just leads to you being inconvenienced by dickheads coming and razing a city or 2 before you deal with them, or you can just ignore it completely by either wiping out the other factions doing it or just waiting for one of them to finish the final one and win a really easy quest battle, which then makes you question why even bother having it in the first place

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kanos posted:

What if we took the already incredibly powerful Vampire Counts and gave them even more freespawn units, the ability to raise dead anywhere on the map instantly for no winds cost, and also gave them the best artillery in the entire game without exception?

This is generally true across the new factions compared to the old ones, to be honest. Comparing the new caster LLs to the old ones is like comparing Goku to a mall cop.

They've already buffed up and reworked the LL caster lords in game 1, Balthasar Gelt and Kemmler were actually pretty damned good last time I played. The magic changes from WH2 are going to find their way in for the Game 1 races as well in the mega campaign, and, I think, in game 1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Randarkman posted:

They've already buffed up and reworked the LL caster lords in game 1, Balthasar Gelt and Kemmler were actually pretty damned good last time I played. The magic changes from WH2 are going to find their way in for the Game 1 races as well in the mega campaign, and, I think, in game 1.

As Balthasar Gelt's Number One Fan, I can safely say that while the final buff pass made him a very good/solid LL, compared to Teclis/Mazda/Skrolk/Morathi he's a ceiling fan versus a hurricane. Gelt provides good passive buffs and support for his army. For the new guys, their armies are support for them while they singlehandedly turn 500 guys into pillars of salt.

Maybe retrofitting the new caster LL rules(starting with several spells) and the new caster skill tree to the old LLs will pull them up to the modern level.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kanos posted:

As Balthasar Gelt's Number One Fan, I can safely say that while the final buff pass made him a very good/solid LL, compared to Teclis/Mazda/Skrolk/Morathi he's a ceiling fan versus a hurricane. Gelt provides good passive buffs and support for his army. For the new guys, their armies are support for them while they singlehandedly turn 500 guys into pillars of salt.

Maybe retrofitting the new caster LL rules(starting with several spells) and the new caster skill tree to the old LLs will pull them up to the modern level.

As mentioned already, he doesn't have the magic rework yet. Being able to dramatically reduce costs and cooldowns is a huge deal.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm hoping for more Skaven clans in the old aside from just Clan Mors in Skavenblight. I guess one way to do it might be too have events that increase Skaven corruption as that causes Skaven to appear as rebels. Though Skaven being scattered around the map as is appropriate would also be great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel with just a frew changes to the ritual stuff it could be much much more interesting. Namely making the final battle much harder.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I can't imagine that CA is foolish enough to NOT update the Lord skills from the first game to be on par with the new hotness. They went back and updated them in game 1, why wouldn't they bring them up to game 2's standards when they have the chance?

They've been pretty drat good about it so far. I would be honestly shocked if they suddenly got a case of the dumbs, but I guess anything is possible.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The AI is as bad as ever at allocating its level ups. When I confederated a high-level Teclis he'd completely ignored his spell line in favour of spending 6 points on the first section of the blue line (including 3 points into cheaper recruitment :ughh:) and 9 in the first half of the red line. He had a few levels left so I got him some spells but I'm one point short of being able to get the capstone for that line at level 40 :negative:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 3, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gonkish posted:

I can't imagine that CA is foolish enough to NOT update the Lord skills from the first game to be on par with the new hotness. They went back and updated them in game 1, why wouldn't they bring them up to game 2's standards when they have the chance?

They've been pretty drat good about it so far. I would be honestly shocked if they suddenly got a case of the dumbs, but I guess anything is possible.

Will be part of the Mortal Empires patch, I'm guessing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty silly to say that Warhammer's 1 lords need buffs to compete with Warhammer 2 races.

It's not the lords that are overpowered, it's that between the High Elf Archer that is also spearmen line and Skaven absolutely incredible mechanized units they'll wipe out any old world faction at ease.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Jesus christ gently caress fighting elves in these games. It is so loving tedious especially in the early game when you flat out don't have units to catch enemy skirmishers.

It loving sucks

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Jesus christ gently caress fighting elves in these games. It is so loving tedious especially in the early game when you flat out don't have units to catch enemy skirmishers.

It loving sucks

Are you lizards or skaven? As the skaven the answer to all your problems is always menace below.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mans posted:

It's pretty silly to say that Warhammer's 1 lords need buffs to compete with Warhammer 2 races.

It's not the lords that are overpowered, it's that between the High Elf Archer that is also spearmen line and Skaven absolutely incredible mechanized units they'll wipe out any old world faction at ease.

Yeah I'm not worried about the lords, imo broadly speaking the lords should be more powerful from the old world (skaven aside). It's the feature creep in the army lineups.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I dunno. Empire is still pretty damned good, I think. And Chaos got quite a bit better with the last update and the addition of RoRs.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I don't see any reason the old world factions are going to struggle against the new world factions honestly, unless we're talking already bottom tier races like Dwarves and Beastmen.

Keep in mind also that CA is already rebalancing the old races and they'll be benefiting just as much from mechanical changes like directional wind spells.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

The gently caress is wrong with CA? This is not good map design.

hmm yes. lets force the player to fight in an obscured jungle. this will be fun. removing foliage, it still looks and plays like poo poo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah those tree maps are garbage. What sort of tactics are those meant to promote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deified Data posted:

Yeah those tree maps are garbage. What sort of tactics are those meant to promote?

Dinossaur rampage.