Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
How you gonna call someone a oval office because they're critical of a Star Trek show and also accuse THEM of picking a weird hill to die on, Comrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Seriously, you might as well be getting hung up on where her work clothes came from or how they print the ship's crest on pillow cases.

Oh okay. There's nothing on screen to suggest the pilot survives or that her distress was fake but okay.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Bozart posted:

I just wish there was a character that I could root for, you know?

I'm rooting for that tribble to eat that bowl of fortune cookies, multiply, then overpower the monster with strength in superior numbers when it inevitably escapes.

Picture this next episode:

Michael is trapped at the end of a hallway. She frantically mashes the door panel to summon the turbolift. The monster slowly approaches.

"You lookin' for trouble?!" she says as she hears the turbolift finally slide into place.

"Well you found TRIBBLES!" The turbolift doors whip open. A flood of tribbles come pouring out like the elevator scene in The Shining. The monster is swept away around the corner of the hall to be consumed by the tribbles.

Michael raises ship's comms, "You can cancel the black alert, captain. The monster's been taken care of."

"What happened to it?" he asks.

"Oh, you don't know? Then I'm not allowed to tell you. Michael out, BITCH!"

Roll credits.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's funny how you're so incredibly angry at trekkies making GBS threads on the show yet you can't be bothered to say anything nice about the show yourself
Why bother trying to discuss what I like with people who are, through their own words, either too stupid to follow the episodes, or are simply not interested in a good faith discussion.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh okay. There's nothing on screen to suggest the pilot survives or that her distress was fake but okay.

I didn't say her distress was fake. Why would it be? If the intent was to create the appearance of happenstance, why would the prison officer know in advance?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's no reason to think the shuttle problems was fake. The shuttle was diverted by Lorca to Discovery so he could offload Michael, they ran into trouble with the local SpaceFungus, the pilot died, they were close enough to Discovery by then that the ship could rescue them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Why bother trying to discuss what I like with people who are, through their own words, either too stupid to follow the episodes, or are simply not interested in a good faith discussion.

there's other people in the thread who've come out saying they liked the episode, but that aside, if everyone here is too stupid or too disingenuous to hold a discussion with then what are you even doing here lol

i think you're a fuckin' liar and you're just a shitposter like everyone else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

There's no reason to think the shuttle problems was fake. The shuttle was diverted by Lorca to Discovery so he could offload Michael, they ran into trouble with the local SpaceFungus, the pilot died, they were close enough to Discovery by then that the ship could rescue them.
Right, at no point does Lorca give any indication that the pilot was a plant or acting, or anything.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Picard would have never casually murdered a starfleet pilot to accomplish some minor plot point. Kirk, maybe.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Lol how the gently caress do you think they rescued the pilot? It's not even loving implied

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Lol how the gently caress do you think they rescued the pilot? It's not even loving implied

Perhaps you're simply too stupid to follow the plot in his head.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's other people in the thread who've come out saying they liked the episode, but that aside, if everyone here is too stupid or too disingenuous to hold a discussion with then what are you even doing here lol

I don't believe a discussion of the programme's good points is possible at present. That doesn't mean that the lazy/invented criticisms shouldn't be challenged. Why should this be an echo chamber for, by your own admission, people who are only interested in shitposting.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Right after the shuttle prisoners disembark there's a call over the intercom telling someone to go to sick bay, could be related? I dunno.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't believe a discussion of the programme's good points is possible at present. That doesn't mean that the lazy/invented criticisms shouldn't be challenged. Why should this be an echo chamber for, by your own admission, people who are only interested in shitposting.

Shitposting for a poo poo show. :shrug:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's the kind of writing where you come up with all these neat moments and ideas, but don't from a through thread that ties them all together.

Let's take everyone's favourite example at the moment

1) Michael is on a shuttle with prisoners. Shuttle is damaged and pilot is lost.
2) Discovery rescues shuttle.
3) Turns out this was staged! The Captain is doing things underhandedly and wanted Michael on board.

OK, so is the pilot is in on the plan?
If so, why bother with any of it? Just pretend the shuttle is having problems and Discovery picks them up.
Why have other prisoners that can report that Michael remained on the Discovery?

If not, how do you cover up that you've taken one of the prisoners? The pilot (assuming she lived) and the prisoners are going to notice.
Is the captain not above killing a few prisoners for the "greater good"? He seems like that kind of guy.

There's about 20 different and simpler ways to achieve the same end result.

It only works forward on a superficial level, as soon as you look backwards it stops making much sense or seems needlessly convoluted once you start filling in the blanks.
The reveal that something was a ruse should make you go "of course!" and the signs would be there upon rewatching.

It's not the worst crime of storytelling but it is pretty lazy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If the teleport killed the crew, why didn't it kill the monster? The monster is immune to fungus warp accidents and phasers? But not force fields?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Shuttle is diverted because as is stated by the captain, he has carte blanche to get his mission done and he wants Michael.
Shuttle runs into difficulty in proximity to Discovery.
Pilot is lost.
Shuttle is recovered, pilot is presumably rescued.
Shuttle is sterilised.
Shuttle resumes its course with convicts and pilot, but sans Michael.

That all happens on screen, except for the rescue of the pilot and the departure of the prisoners. Of the last two, one is stated as fact by the first officer, and the other is implied by common sense and the aforementioned sickbay call.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's not the worst crime of storytelling but it is pretty lazy.

I think that serves pretty well as sort of an umbrella criticism for the feel of the show.

I just looks and sounds like a series of decisions that didn't go beyond "OK, but how do we juice it up a bit? Where's the action?" and then later when it came time to justify it, the writing budget had been blown on rendering the doomhound instead.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Shuttle is diverted because as is stated by the captain, he has carte blanche to get his mission done and he wants Michael.

Isn't the diversion also the difficulty?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

the other is implied by common sense

Sorry I can't hear you through all this mushroom interference. It's physics.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is the captain not above killing a few prisoners for the "greater good"? He seems like that kind of guy.

He totally is. Saru's "death sense" was going off as the prison transport went into warp.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Then why the subterfuge in obtaining her at all?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 3, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Then why the subterfuge in obtaining her all?

What subterfuge?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

What subterfuge?

Staging an incident and the "rescue" (assuming the pilot stepping out the door and into the void was part of this and not just incompetence).

For who's benefit are these elaborate charades for?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

MikeJF posted:

What subterfuge?

The implication is that captain dickhead used his mastery of BIOLOGY AS PHYSICS to disable the shuttle and force it out of oldwarp to need rescuing

edit: or what lizard said, but either way, it all smelled of setup

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Staging an incident and the "rescue" (assuming the pilot stepping out the door and into the void was part of this and not just incompetence)

That's an assumption. Like I said before, there's no reason to think that the shuttle didn't just run into trouble due to the local space fungus while it was on its way to Discovery.

We learn that the shuttle had been straight-up ordered to divert to Discovery, there would be no need to stage an accident.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is it? That's not the scenario I'm discussing with lovely joe.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 3, 2017

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

MikeJF posted:

That's an assumption. Like I said before, there's no reason to think that the shuttle didn't just run into trouble due to the local space fungus while it was on its way to Discovery.

The shuttle wasn't on it's way to Discovery, was it?

edit: I guess I missed that, too busy shitposting!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is it? That's not the scenario I'm discussing with lovely joe.

Pilot is lost.
Shuttle is sterilised.

That all happens on screen, except for the rescue of the pilot and the departure of the prisoners. Of the last two, one is stated as fact by the first officer, and the other is implied by common sense and the aforementioned sickbay call.

Yes it is

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

The shuttle wasn't on it's way to Discovery, was it?

edit: I guess I missed that, too busy shitposting!

Michael says the shuttle was diverted from the Mine to Discovery enroute.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Yes it is

Michael says the shuttle was diverted from the Mine to Discovery enroute.

So the Captain has the shuttle sent to Discovery because he wants Michael.
The shuttle runs into leaking space fungus and pilot falls out the door.
Everyone is rescued.
Everyone sans Michael is sent on their way.

OK, I'll buy that. It seems pretty inefficient, but sure.

e: I mean, Michael is familiar with the spores on the shuttle so it's not an unknown phenomena. They could have given the pilot a heads up before she flew through a big patch.
That's why it makes this part feel staged whether the writers intended that or not. The Captain is harvesting fungus and the fungus just happens to attack Michael's shuttle and necessitate a rescue, if it's not part of the "plan" it's just fluff in the kind of story that encourages you to look for ulterior motives.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 3, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically, the pilot was just taken by surprise by the strength of the SpaceFungus. Which was probably the reason Discovery was at that location in the first place.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Pilot is lost.
Shuttle is sterilised.

It seems like a stretch to call it common sense that the pilot is saved when we're being told that this captain is willing to do anything to win this war. He doesn't strike me as somebody who would mind a friendly casualty here or there if it helps his cause

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked the premise well enough, and the gruesome mangled corpses were pretty cool and really gory for Star Trek, but I just don't like any of the characters at all. There's sarcastic world-weary science guy, sarcastic rear end in a top hat security officer, evil warmonger captain, socially awkward cadet girl, and then Saru who seems likeable enough but we don't really spend a whole lot of time with him.

But the main thing is that the whole tone of the show is so dour. I'll keep watching because the visual design is great and hopefully once we get to know the characters better they won't be so one-note negative, and also that the fungus teleport tech means we might actually get some one-off style episodes where we travel to far off worlds and do some exploring etc, but it's just not gonna be much fun to watch if I dislike all the main characters. We'll see, I guess.

Also, towards the end where Saru is in the mess and the prisoner transport leaves, his little tentacle things come out - I assume that's his 'I sense danger' response, but I'm not really seeing what's dangerous about the prisoner shuttle leaving.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pilot is lost.
Shuttle is sterilised.

The pilot is probably not dead.
Ship intercom called for staff after the shuttle landed.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Saru's death-sense gills get erect as soon as the shuttle jumps back to warp, it's pretty strongly implied they all died, so if the electrozoans didn't kill the pilot, she died shortly after anyway.

Pilot's dead, yo.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's kinda sad you've chosen to die on the hill of hate-watching Discovery. By virtue of it not being nearly as bad as you pretend you're having to stretch to the point mental sub-normality to invent flaws with it.

You're almost obnoxious enough to be a STD character.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Human Crouton posted:

You're almost obnoxious enough to be a STD character.

Woah now let's not say things we can't take back

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Saru's death-sense gills get erect as soon as the shuttle jumps back to warp, it's pretty strongly implied they all died, so if the electrozoans didn't kill the pilot, she died shortly after anyway.

Pilot's dead, yo.

It's because Michael is still onboard, that's why the loving cut to her right after the fins pop out. He senses something dangerous on board, she's the dangerous thing, you know this because he loving said so in the beginning of the episode.

MikeJF posted:

Only in as much as because it's a ship. Most of what you list is common to any professional ship, US or not and military or not. The one most US bit was the command structure. (And hell, on a navy ship the bridge and the command centre aren't even the same place)

I've never been on a merchant ship, but I've been on 2 carriers and a Marine Amphib. I rewatched TOS after the first carrier and it was weird how different the first 4-5 episodes were; the small things I didn't notice them doing all of a sudden looked straight out of normal ship life. They definitely broke out of that mid 1st season when it turned campy, but the point is the very basics of Star Trek ship life are founded on RL military boats, so I don't get why people would expect something else.

Also this show is growing on me. It still has an unacceptably high amount of truly cringeworthy dialogue and situations but for only episode 3 it's not bad at all.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 3, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JacksLibido posted:

It's because Michael is still onboard, that's why the loving cut to her right after the fins pop out. He senses something dangerous on board, she's the dangerous thing, you know this because he loving said so in the beginning of the episode.

It has to be this. That's a hell of a non-supernatural sense if it can pick up death on a ship warping away.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So uh this show is being really loving heavy handed with the blatant "Modern Prestige Show" style of foreshadowing.

Totally agree with whoever posted up-thread that it feels like they're setting up a season long Year of Hell style arc with an ending that somehow incorporates another Michael-mutiny and a timeline reset that prevents the Klingon war from starting.

Edit: I mean seriously what else could they be going for with a two parter pilot that could have been rolled into a few lines of dialogue or a flashback. Plus the entire crew of Discovery are shown to be either blatantly evil or assholes (minus roommate girl) in the establishing episode.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Why do people even give a gently caress about the shuttle pilot? You don't see what happens to her because it doesn't matter.