Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How soon we forget the Black Orcs with TWO great weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I reckon VC would kill it in 2 as long as lords had the level 40 cap. loving level 40 Vlad and Isabella.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

JBP posted:

I reckon VC would kill it in 2 as long as lords had the level 40 cap. loving level 40 Vlad and Isabella.

to be honest Empire and Vampire Counts will probably still be top-tier regardless, simply because none of the Warhammer 2 races impede on their strengths

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

to be honest Empire and Vampire Counts will probably still be top-tier regardless, simply because none of the Warhammer 2 races impede on their strengths
VC running into a group of Skaven could cause some pretty massive casualties all around, which could be really fun for the VC player.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yo, this might be a controversial opinion but I've been playing this game all afternoon and it's pretty fun.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do wonder how the old world races as-is would stack up against the 4 new races, absurd campaign bonuses aside, what would dwarves begin to do against a skaven army that out-sieges them and drowns them in rats?

How is greenskin morale gonna handle fighting from every direction?

Only the warp lightning cannon has comparable range to Dwarf artillery and lol at using its bonus vs large against Dwarfs. I don't think it'll be as bad as people assume.

I tested the bonus range skill on Skaven engineers and it either works or the visual cue no longer increases. Artillery is definitely able to hit things at maximum range which wasn't possible with the Dwarf engineer's equivalent.

Having the +range bugs ironed out will make Dwarfs a lot better in single player. Adjusting the red skill tree to be less garbage will also be really nice. I'm excited to play Dwarfs in a week or two.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly the only race that's really going to struggle with the new poo poo is Dwarves and they already had issues with basically everyone else anyways. Dwarves really suck.

Empire/VC/Brettonia especially are still probably top tier. Buffed magic means excellent things for them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonkish posted:

Skaven.jpg

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

How the hell can you get such beautiful lightning? My game is all on Ultra but still feels very jacked up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zore posted:

Yeah, honestly the only race that's really going to struggle with the new poo poo is Dwarves and they already had issues with basically everyone else anyways. Dwarves really suck.

Empire/VC/Brettonia especially are still probably top tier. Buffed magic means excellent things for them.

Was magic actually buffed across the board other than campaign effects and the ability to retarget AOEs? I've been hearing that a lot of stuff is unchanged, it was just used less

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gonkish posted:

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

hello new desktop

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Was magic actually buffed across the board other than campaign effects and the ability to retarget AOEs? I've been hearing that a lot of stuff is unchanged, it was just used less

Wind of death without having to position the caster to direct it across the battle line.

Think about it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

partyelite put up a pretty great video of some unusual tactics the skaven can pull off

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StashAugustine posted:

Being able to retarget AOEs is absolutely huge.

Also a bunch of magic was buffed to ridiculousness in the last patch of TWW1. There's a weird meme in this thread that magic is bad, but even in game 1 it was really good and this has made it even better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My wishlist for the original factions in Mortal Empires:

Dwarves:
Revamped grudge system that applies WH2s tiered trait mechanic. Resolving grudges will now give that Lord or hero a corresponding unique trait (that can be improved). So for example, resolving a revolt grudge gives that Lord bonuses vs 'rebel' stacks. And resolving enough grudges will give a global reduction to the increase in grudge severity over time, important because Skaven and Greenskin based grudges increase in severity faster than from other races.

Thorgrim, Ungrim, and Belegar all get anti Skaven skills, but they each offer unique bonuses so having multiple legendary lords in a fight gives Stacking benefits. Belegar himself gets a choice between anti greenskin or anti Skaven skills letting him be much more specialized against them than the other lords. Belegar also gets unique skills that unlock if you control Karak 8 peaks (Skarsnik and Queek get similar counterparts). Each Lord also gets research time reduction on specific late game techs that normally take forever to unlock.

Dwarves are more limited in suitable climates but in the flip side get 'Ancient Karak' as a special climate that gives bonuses to controlling it. These include Black Crag, Karak 8 Peaks, Kraka Drak, and a few others.

Empire:
Balthasar Gelt gets a revamped magic tree giving access to 3 tiers of each spell. He also gets a capstone skill which lets any wizard in his army cast spells at 1 tier higher than they currently unlocked.

Gelt and Volkmar get bonus effects when assigned their particular office.

Integrate the Legitimacy mod system into the stock game, encouraging you to play politics as Empire and giving you the ability to return territories to their original owners in exchange for loyalty- great for when you get overextended.

Boris Toddbringer available as Middenheim subfaction who uses the same legitimacy system to try to position himself as Emperor. Karl Franz can still be recruited but some of his skills are in Boris' skillset with some variation.

Vampire Counts:
Climate suitability is based on Vampiric corruption, so uninhabitable areas don't give as severe malus if you get your corruption up.

Capturing Altdorf and killing Franz lets Mannered insert himself as the new Emperor, getting a bastardized version of the Empire offices ad a reward.

Can start as Red Duke in Mousillon which has more building slots as a minor settlement (since he doesn't start in a capital) and neighbors that are vulnerable. Overall him and other Vampire count factions can now confederate more easily.

Greenskins:
Grimgor now gets a % of the exp that all waagh factions generate. Azhag gets Death magic by default, Azhag's crown of sorcery is easier to get and once obtained allows you to put a third skill point in death magic spells. Wurzzag gets 3 tiers of his spells and can very easily get military alliances with savage orc hordes.

Wurzzag can function as a horde if he loses all settlements allowing him to relocate and settle elsewhere. He gets access to a few basic buildings and once he occupied a settlement he becomes normal again. combined with horde allies you can basically settle anywhere you want! He also gets bonus winds is magic based on his fightiness level.

Greenskins get more favorable climates making it easier to spread or resettle. Virtually every race will have to deal with them in some corner of their empire. Their garrison building gets bonus reinforcement range for armies that have at least 75% fightiness, making offense the best form of defense.

Each legendary Lord gets a waagh configuration unique to that lords theme. Further research and skills can improve the starting veterancy and quality of the units further.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

"If at first you don't succeed, apply more Skaven"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

so after a few battles as the delves do i ever get to actually use this murderous prowess thing

it didn't even come close to going off in a 2K Delf vs 2K Skaven fight

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I usually have it trigger shortly before the battle is over. (You may relate cause and effect here. :) )
You need a lot of kills (or deaths) for it to trigger.

In multiplayer 2vs2 and Free for All it triggers really quickly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People are talking about how hosed the Dwarves are gonna be during Mortal Empires. While I forsee them having a relatively harder start (getting a steady progression like Empire, with more and more threats encroaching on them each update) as long as the AI is as derpy as it currently is I'm not too worried. The way I see it is this:

As Dwarves, you have Irondrakes, Gyrocopters, and rock hard infantry to grind through the hordes of Thaggorakki. Skaven are pretty lovely at dealing with flyers, and at this point have very few ranged armor piercing options. They'll have to use Warp Lightning Cannons as AA guns against squadrons of Gyrocopters basically. Warriors will out-tank even upgraded Clanrats and Longbeards will wear them down even further. The AI's penchant for bunching up units as it approaches makes demolition charges and artillery devastating against them. Your missile units are also stronger and longer ranged and all shielded, so even up against Skaven Skirmishers you'll come out ahead.

As Skaven, you'll have a ton of initiative, since you can use Menace Below against Dwarf artillery and ranged. Human intelligence will trump the AI by combining units together as the Horned Rat ordained; using Slaves/Clanrats to lock Dwarf units down and Stormvermin/Censer Bearers/Artillery to batter them down. Almost every Dwarf unit is tightly clumped making them easy targets for Warp lightning, Warp Bombs, and other AoE attacks. Skaven can throw all the Dwarf tricks back at them, with the added benefit of not only having the same strong economy but having considerably cheaper T1 infantry to set up their combos. So unlike Greenskins you aren't going to be hurting for armor piercing or AoE ranged units, and unlike dealing with lizardmen Dwarves don't have poison or dinosaurs.

Given the limitations of the AI, I could see Mortal Empires being a lot of fun for either side, which is great honestly.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

never thought of doing that while playing them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panfilo posted:

Balthasar Gelt gets a revamped magic tree giving access to 3 tiers of each spell. He also gets a capstone skill which lets any wizard in his army cast spells at 1 tier higher than they currently unlocked.

Think you misunderstood how the new magic tree works in 2. (or I did and am being stupid as I have not played a caster LL yet.) I belive the generic lords have 3 tiers for their spells while the Legendary Ones have 2, But the the 2 points you put in fully upgrade the spell while generic lords require the 3 points to fully upgrade it.

Or did I misread how it works and Legendary Lords get an extra upgrade on their spells.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I believe Legendary Lords get the first two steps of a spell upgrade combined into one step, as a way to make mage lords better than normal magicians.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My heart wants to be good at Skaven. My head tells me I'm far, far better at Dark Elves.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The whole models having HP continues to gently caress with me, even after playing a fair bit of WH1. I'm still way too used to pre Rome 2 where you smash a guy with a big gently caress off horse and they go down straight away.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Like I thought repeater bolt-throwers were utter trash then I remembered to check the target's HP and not the bolt-thrower's killcount.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't see any way to stop the high elves winning this campaign I'm doing as skaven. I had a slow start due to learning but I've completely crushed the south as Skrolk now and overtaken everyone. I guess high elves just sit on that island unopposed the whole game?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
let them finish the last ritual, you then get 5 turns to fight their army with 2 allied armies, you can't lose unless you are really really really bad

also I really like murderous prowess since it gives me a reason to push real hard when it happens

it is a shame it can only happen once because :skaven:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I think the thread will enjoy this little story. Started a legendary campaign as Skaven and had just made a full stack (not sure what turn. 10ish?) saw a half stack of the lizards kinda poking around my northern border and I decided to go for it. Successful ambush.

They were all dinos. 3 Carnosaurs and a mix of the other types. Aside from the lord leading them there was not a single other type of unit. They tore me to pieces and I was doing zero damage. I managed to hold them back slightly with the flamethrower unit breaking their moral for awhile but it was just a horrible massacre.

Felt like Mathew Broderick in that horrible Godzilla movie 'At least we fed him'.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 4, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Third World Reggin posted:

let them finish the last ritual, you then get 5 turns to fight their army with 2 allied armies, you can't lose unless you are really really really bad

also I really like murderous prowess since it gives me a reason to push real hard when it happens

it is a shame it can only happen once because :skaven:

Wait do I have to go there or do I just hit the 500 dollar teleporter and do a battle? Seems like a stupid thing after 150 turns of game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just teleport, like every other quest battle in this game and the other game

they give you a chance to get back at the guy who beat you so you can win, since some people can't keep up with the AI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure I'd easily be side by side with high elves if I was actually doing the missions rather than being obsessed with perpetrating war crimes against less important enemies/settlements.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind if in the after-battle display that shows kills it showed damage dealt too, it's easy to think a unit is impressive when it kills 400 trash units, meanwhile the real heavy lifters were focusing on a single monster or lord the entire fight and got maybe 3 kills between them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What exactly triggers murderous prowess? A number? A proportion? Kills, or health?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

# of kills. If you hover over the Murderous Prowess bar in battle it will tell you how many enemies you need to kill for it to proc. It scales depending on the size of the enemy army.

Also I just had the craziest battle as Mazdamundi vs Skrolk.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 4, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ravenfood posted:

Is that one of the options for the middle one? So far I've picked one each and was kind of underwhelmed in general. I'd love to see a master list of the possible options though. Its a neat bonus and I'll always take a Name of Power, but I waffle on the best way to build lords still. All I know is I'd love shades with that kind of range, goddamn.

I think that's the different between the assassinate action and the "wound" action that my death hags have, but I'm not sure.

Do you have/know how to use pack file manager? You can just open that up and see what everything does. It has the prefix ar_ so I think that means it's an aristocratic name of power. I made myself a little mod that prevents the lockouts for all the skill trees and hilarious how strong I've gotten some of my dark elf lords.

There's also a save editor if you want to play around with/cheat some poo poo just to try out different possible combinations of stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/saveparser/

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Is there any decent way to deal with random factions across the ocean just declaring war and suddenly dropping full stacks on your shore?

I hate all the water in this map, and the diplomacy debuffs from the ritual.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

hot date tonight! posted:

Is there any decent way to deal with random factions across the ocean just declaring war and suddenly dropping full stacks on your shore?

Most of the time you can just ignore them. Failing that just have an army stationed at a place where you can respond reasonably quickly to anything along your coastline and shut them down as soon as they land.

If you're set on doing the rituals the best strategy isn't to expand it's to have the smallest possible amount of land to defend and focus on having one or two really strong armies. Let the AI do all the rituals it wants and just take your time. There's actually no rush to complete them.

What I did with Teclis for example was only take those initial two provinces and made most of my money from trading with the other high elves. I made war on the skaven that took the mountains just on my borders and each turn I'd attack them and make bunch of extra money from battle loot/sacking. Any time I did a ritual the stacks of chaos and skaven would spawn somewhere they'd have to come through a bottleneck to get at my cities so I'd park an army there and pick them off one by one as they came through.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Heavens seem to have been buffed to an acceptable standard now, good on CA. Still, it's going head to head with Beasts, which was a top-tier magic school in WH1. What's your preferred school for Lizardmen Skink Priests?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hot date tonight! posted:

Build walls in literally every settlement you own. Even if they do attack right away you should be able to fend off anything less than 2 full stacks. And if they don't attack right away it gives your army like 6+ turns to get there and reinforce.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anyone know whether bonuses to chariots and dragons etc apply to mounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone know whether bonuses to chariots and dragons etc apply to mounts?

They do not.