Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

Matt Lucas has admitted that he wouldn't do the black characters if he did the show over again: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/03/matt-lucas-little-britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character

Yes, I heard about that. I suppose blackface was acceptable back when he last did it. In 2010-2011. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Not quite sure what the problem is here, but I've not seen Meatballs.

It’s an adult character referring to underage campers as jailbait.

I’m not sure that term is never used in a non creep way, actually.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe we should call this 'media that hasn't aged well.'

Because I'm listening to the audiobook of IT (last read it 25 years ago) and holy poo poo every time the Richie character goes into his black person voice. Perhaps that will be removed from the sequel like the child gang bang was from the first movie.

Find a copy of King reading The Drawing of the Three. Let me know when you get to him reading Detta's dialogue.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's a silly thing to call it.

It's drunk driving. You're driving while drunk.

You're not driving while drink, that doesn't make any sense.

Nobody on planet Earth considers themselves too drunk to drive when they make that decision to slide behind the wheel and head home.

Hence, don't drink and drive: put some money aside for a taxi. Have a designated driver. Make sure your bus card is topped off. Sleep it off at your mates house. Makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pastry of the Year posted:

most Australian slang was concocted while drunk, if that explains anything
It's not slang, that's the proper term.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Find a copy of King reading The Drawing of the Three. Let me know when you get to him reading Detta's dialogue.

King doesn't actually read the audiobook.

14 hours of a Maine nasal twang would be a real horror story. Drawing of the Three was narrated by the late great Frank Muller who could've read Trump tweets and made them sound dramatic and riveting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SEX BURRITO posted:

Matt Lucas has admitted that he wouldn't do the black characters if he did the show over again: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/03/matt-lucas-little-britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character

I heard Matt Lucas on a podcast talking about the show. Honestly, he kind of pissed me off because he won't just admit that certain sketches were awful. Like he defends the black face thing as 'I was doing a big, over the top character who happened to be black. But we made fun of all races so it's ok!' The only thing he expressed the slightest remorse for is that some gay people got bullied with the 'only gay in the village' catchphrase.

Lmao the minority he feels bad about mocking is the one he himself is part of, what a great guy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

aardwolf posted:

Nobody on planet Earth considers themselves too drunk to drive when they make that decision to slide behind the wheel and head home.

Hence, don't drink and drive: put some money aside for a taxi. Have a designated driver. Make sure your bus card is topped off. Sleep it off at your mates house. Makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

The official charges here are "driving under the influence" and "driving while intoxicated"

Saying either of those achieves the same goal without sounding like a toddler

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

King doesn't actually read the audiobook.

14 hours of a Maine nasal twang would be a real horror story. Drawing of the Three was narrated by the late great Frank Muller who could've read Trump tweets and made them sound dramatic and riveting.

He did originally.

In fact, he read the first three books on cassette.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

It's not slang, that's the proper term.

If the place you're from is literally the only place on earth that phrases it that way, congratulations, it's slang.

"Drink driving" is wrong because "drink" is a verb and "drunk" is an adjective. If someone is distracted by their phone you don't say they're "distract driving". And the "no one ever thinks they're too drunk to drive, so 'drunk driving' is wrong" argument falls apart the first time you hear someone say "no, I haven't been drinking, I just had a couple of beers with my friends."

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

The official charges here are "driving under the influence" and "driving while intoxicated"

Saying either of those achieves the same goal without sounding like a toddler

Both of which are obviously not as convenient to say. Tell me: have you tried not being a gigantic fusspot about different dialects?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Besesoth posted:

And the "no one ever thinks they're too drunk to drive, so 'drunk driving' is wrong" argument falls apart the first time you hear someone say "no, I haven't been drinking, I just had a couple of beers with my friends."

...honestly, I'm pretty confused here. I think you just confirmed my argument.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's weird watching shows from the mid/late 90s where smoking was still kinda okay, especially when those shows run long enough to later use it to signify that a character is unlikeable.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

aardwolf posted:

...honestly, I'm pretty confused here. I think you just confirmed my argument.

If "drunk driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as drunk, then "drink driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as having been drinking.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Do the maths: drink driving can land you in hospital . . . or gaol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

aardwolf posted:

Both of which are obviously not as convenient to say. Tell me: have you tried not being a gigantic fusspot about different dialects?

Settle down Beavis

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Besesoth posted:

If "drunk driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as drunk, then "drink driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as having been drinking.

So you are saying it's not perfect? No poo poo. It is still surely an improvement.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Lol no joke episode of wife swap with him, he actively discourages his son from engaging in physical activities like riding his bike.
I really like Penn and Teller's magic. I think Penn can be an outrageously funny guy. I enjoy listening to Penn talk even when I disagree with him. All that said, I cannot imagine a worse possible fate than being one of his children. If he had any compassion or humanity left in his heart, he should have taken them out to the forest and left them to be raised by wolves (and I'm not just saying that because of that time he wore a Klan costume to his daughter's kindergarten read along).

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Settle down Beavis

Easy on, mate. Don't get off your bike about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Besesoth posted:

"Drink driving" is wrong because "drink" is a verb and "drunk" is an adjective. If someone is distracted by their phone you don't say they're "distract driving". And the "no one ever thinks they're too drunk to drive, so 'drunk driving' is wrong" argument falls apart the first time you hear someone say "no, I haven't been drinking, I just had a couple of beers with my friends."

We wouldn't say 'distract driving' but would say 'distracted driving'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

I really like Penn and Teller's magic. I think Penn can be an outrageously funny guy. I enjoy listening to Penn talk even when I disagree with him. All that said, I cannot imagine a worse possible fate than being one of his children. If he had any compassion or humanity left in his heart, he should have taken them out to the forest and left them to be raised by wolves (and I'm not just saying that because of that time he wore a Klan costume to his daughter's kindergarten read along).

His daughter is the one he named "Moxie Crimefighter" right?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

dissss posted:

yes, because - stick with me here - "distracted" is an adjective, just like "drunk".

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
clearly the correct term is "drinked driving"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dissss posted:

distracted. an adjective. like drunk.

e: this is like whatever fuckin' US dialect says something 'needs fixed'

Olive! has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Oct 5, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Besesoth posted:

If the place you're from is literally the only place on earth that phrases it that way, congratulations, it's slang.

That is not what "slang" means.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Wheat Loaf posted:

His daughter is the one he named "Moxie Crimefighter" right?
That is correct, yes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

That is not what "slang" means.

It's just slanged writing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

tiggum is in his element

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Let's get back to talking about TV that has aged terribly instead of continuing to veer off wildly, it's been fun but this has gone on quite a while now.

it's up to the OP if they want but I don't mind changing this thread to media rather than TV shows.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

EmmyOk posted:

it's up to the OP if they want but I don't mind changing this thread to media rather than TV shows.

Actually, that would be a good idea. I can think of a song or two that would be rendered obsolete by modern technology.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mister Kingdom posted:

He did originally.

Me: Oh hey, those are in the very short list of King books I actually read as a teen, that'll be interesting when I get to them going through in ord-

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh...Oh no...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IT is a great book but its nearly impossible to go a page without King putting some aside in parentheses. He really loves to use those.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oldpainless posted:

IT is a great book but its nearly impossible to go a page without King putting some aside in parentheses (he really loves to use those.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

IT is a great book but its nearly impossible to go a page without King putting some aside in parentheses. He really loves to use those.

I think this is what Trump does in every single speech

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

He did originally.

Oh my.

oldpainless posted:

The reviews of the IT audiobook complain about the narrator's odd cadence and chapters abruptly starting and stopping in mid sentence. I'm pretty sure that's the way the book was written towards the later chapters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's weird watching shows from the mid/late 90s where smoking was still kinda okay, especially when those shows run long enough to later use it to signify that a character is unlikeable.

Yeah, in the 80s smoking became a punchline to show a character was stressed but not shown as something bad.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’ve been watching a lot of Homestar Runner stuff lately. There’s not really much in the way of content that has aged poorly, which is impressive considering that it’s been going on for almost 20 years now. (Unless you don’t count the seven year break.) It helps a lot that most of the technology depicted was already obsolete at the time of depiction. The only thing I can think of is that one time Strong Bad used the word “midget,” which sucks.

However, the site does feature a more meta form of bad aging. The entire site was built from the ground up to run on Flash. This allowed them to implement the interactive easter eggs and special features which became so iconic of the site. (You can mess with the contrast of Strong Bad’s computer while he’s checking his email! How cool is that?)

Now that Flash is Dead, you can’t really see any of it unless you manually activate Flash, which is dying for a reason. Nowadays they’re working on porting all the toons over to youtube, and the new ones are on youtube exclusively with the player embedded into the website. End of an era.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of King and weird racism /out of touchness was it Mr Mercedes where the black kid would put on a fake slave voice? Like 'yessir master hodges' or whatever, what the hell was that about.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, that would be a good idea. I can think of a song or two that would be rendered obsolete by modern technology.

The mobile machine is kept so clean
as it tweets to a waiting world

wait poo poo I figured out Stephen Paddock's motive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Annabel Pee posted:

Speaking of King and weird racism /out of touchness was it Mr Mercedes where the black kid would put on a fake slave voice? Like 'yessir master hodges' or whatever, what the hell was that about.

Yea, but that kind of worked for me, because he was making fun of the main character for being an old out of touch white guy.