Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
They actually do hint at the existence of other bug kingdoms. Cornifer and Iselda came from beyond, among others.

The Howling Cliffs seems to either be the true "end of the world," or that warning was written before the rest of the bug kingdoms existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Your last nailmaster was my first. Personally, I couldn't do the arena without sped up charge attacks. WHOP. WHOP. Dang I love that sound.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Did you notice the Last Stag's name changed after talking to him at the Stag depot?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Samovar posted:

Did you notice the Last Stag's name changed after talking to him at the Stag depot?

Holy crap, really!?
(checks video)
poo poo, that's awesome!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Jetrauben posted:

The Howling Cliffs seems to either be the true "end of the world," or that warning was written before the rest of the bug kingdoms existed.

That warning and other messages like it also are explicitly written for "higher beings", whatever that may mean. It may only apply to those.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 27, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that was a surprise. I wonder what the heck that thing's deal was?

...actually I wonder what the heck charms are that you can just pick up a bit of slug bolus and be "yeah, this'll fit in real nice."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Glazius posted:

...actually I wonder what the heck charms are that you can just pick up a bit of slug bolus and be "yeah, this'll fit in real nice."

Salubra will actually answer this question in-game.

Reaching Howling Cliffs via Stag seems pretty unlikely to me... I'd figure most players would be able to find it as soon as they get the walljump. Crystal Dash is also helpful but not necessary.

Once you have the walljump, dream nail and groundpound, you can access 100% of Howling Cliffs - no double-jump needed.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I always ended up getting to Howling Cliffs via Greenpath oddly enough. I guess after Hornet & Mantis Lords my natural tendency was to explore and find that little pathway up.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 21: The King's Brand

Time to kick off the plot again. Luckily I don't have to explain much here since Hornet does that for me, but this is the first of many steps to get the true ending of the game. This will unlock an area for the next update and that's about it. As for collectables, I grab both Quick Focus & Shape of Uun for one of the best combos in terms of practicality and just sheer fun. We also fight Flukemarm today, who is a chump if you can one-shot her babies but a pain if you cant due to how many she produces.

Next update, poo poo gets weird.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Highwang posted:

We also fight Flukemarm today, who is a chump if you can one-shot her babies but a pain if you cant due to how many she produces.

I have yet to take more than one jump to defeat Flukemarm. In my normal game I found her very late, then in both Steel Soul and Glass Soul I just had no reason to go to her until going for percentage points after getting most of the other things in the game. She's possibly the chumpy-est chump of all boss fights in the game (some of the warrior graves are close, as was pre-update Nosk).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now that boss was disgusting.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the flukemarm was probably the most frustrated i got at this game, even when compared to the last challenge in the Colosseum of fools. i didn't do enough damage to 1 hit the spawns and i was too goddamn stubborn to go back up to the blacksmith to upgrade the nail and just threw my face at it for like 2 hours before caving and heading up.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Roobanguy posted:

the flukemarm was probably the most frustrated i got at this game, even when compared to the last challenge in the Colosseum of fools. i didn't do enough damage to 1 hit the spawns and i was too goddamn stubborn to go back up to the blacksmith to upgrade the nail and just threw my face at it for like 2 hours before caving and heading up.

That was my exact experience too. Felt good to come back and make a joke of it though

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I like the idea behind the Flukemarm badge, but I never found it that useful for my playstyle. Does it upgrade your fireball damage any, or just change it's utility?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the total damage goes up if you point-blank shotgun people with it, especially if you combine it with the shaman badge for even more damage. It can be pretty good vs. large bosses you can get right up on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unsurprisingly it also has a hilarious interaction with the dung defender badge. it's definitely a good alternate to the normal soul blast, but with everything else in the game you just have to weigh if it's worth the slots to equip it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
About Zubaz, here's a full list of other stuff he's in:

Appears as a playable character in Divekick
Appears as a wandering Mini-boss in Shovel Knight
Appears in Skullgirls as a palette swap for Beowulf
A large mecha version of Zubaz is a playable fighter in Colossal Kaiju Combat.
Appears as a secret boss in Indivisible
Appears as a special boss in Pocket Rumble
Appears as a kart driver in Parkour Kartay

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So, I dunno how feasible it is, but could Flukemarm be done earlier with a spellcaster build? Use spells to kill the flukes, use the marm itself to keep your Soul up?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, looks like there's to be new DLC for this game, now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lazy Bear posted:

So, I dunno how feasible it is, but could Flukemarm be done earlier with a spellcaster build? Use spells to kill the flukes, use the marm itself to keep your Soul up?

Sure. It's not that hard of a boss. You will probably still be fine if the flukes take 2 or maybe 3 hits with your nail. It's just a bit more tedious and annoying.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Samovar posted:

Well, looks like there's to be new DLC for this game, now.

They've got another two free content updates (Including the halloween one) and then it's the Hornet paid DLC I believe.

Highwang you really picked a inopportune time to do this LP, almost as bad as JadeStar finishing his xcom 2 LP like a month before the expansion dropped.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I'll admit, Sly as the Nailsage totally caught me off guard. I forgot the dialogue he had when you first met him. Now his comments about your weapon throughout the game make more sense.

Fun fact: According to the wiki, the devs said they had originally intended him to be a difficult boss that weilded a nail the same size as the Nailmasters' weapons. Just imagine a tiny little fly like him swinging around such a giant sword!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

ousire posted:

I'll admit, Sly as the Nailsage totally caught me off guard. I forgot the dialogue he had when you first met him. Now his comments about your weapon throughout the game make more sense.

Fun fact: According to the wiki, the devs said they had originally intended him to be a difficult boss that weilded a nail the same size as the Nailmasters' weapons. Just imagine a tiny little fly like him swinging around such a giant sword!

Why am I imagining the Yoda lightsaber battles?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's interesting about Sly. Got dissatisfied with what the sword could do so he took up the merchant's scale?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh, I can't wait for you to visit the place that's been opened to you now that you have the brand. It will answer some questions, and raise some more!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Glazius posted:

That's interesting about Sly. Got dissatisfied with what the sword could do so he took up the merchant's scale?

Nah. He's just really greedy and prefers overcharging desperate adventurers and bathing in their geo. He still seems to like swords, but that seems to be what he loves most.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

There seems to be a theme with the nailmasters that life by the nail is unsatisfying, unfulfilling.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

IMJack posted:

There seems to be a theme with the nailmasters that life by the nail is unsatisfying, unfulfilling.

Sly, in his wisdom, devoted himself to a more satisfying pursuit, making obscene piles of money.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's some cute npc plot stuff later in the game involving one of the nailmasters and another npc, so hopefully highwang shows that off

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I dont know posted:

Sly, in his wisdom, devoted himself to a more satisfying pursuit, making obscene piles of money.

Nailmaster Rules of Acquisition #1: Screw the nail, there's selling to do!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

azren posted:

Nailmaster Rules of Acquisition #1: Screw the nail, there's selling to do!

At least he hasn't started saying "Fee-males" with a weird accent.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
"To train with the nail, first master sweeping. When you have mastered sweeping, you must master the way of drawing water. Once you have learned how to draw water, you must split wood. Once you have split wood, you must learn the arts of finding the fine herbs in the forest, the arts of writing, the arts of paper making, and poetry writing. You must become familiar with the awl and the pen in equal measure. When you have mastered all these things you must master building a house. Once your house is built, you have no further need for a nail, since it is an ugly piece of metal and its adherents idiots."

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

VolticSurge posted:

At least he hasn't started saying "Fee-males" with a weird accent.

More like Fee-nails am I right?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I haven't actually tried this myself, but could you dream nail the grubs while they're still in the jars?

Also, I think you might be able to finish Myla's story if you visit her again.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

fractalairduct posted:

I haven't actually tried this myself, but could you dream nail the grubs while they're still in the jars?

You used to be able to, but it was removed because it would give away if they were mimics or not.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why is that a bad thing? You're using the mechanics of the game to figure something out, and you're rewarded for lateral thinking. It's perfect!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also there's a much more trivial way to figure it out, which is that mimics block movement whereas regular grubs do not.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I actually don't know if that's the logic behind it going away but you can't do it now, used to be able to do it before. I made an assumption.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update - Episode 22: The Abyss

Spooooooooooooky~~~

The Abyss, from a gameplay standpoint, is a very basic level. All you're really doing here is going right up until the dead end in order to get the Shade Cloak, which is really loving dope. Our dash finally gets i.frames and its super good for some fights, good to the point where it needs an active cooldown in order to prevent i.frame scam. Getting Sharp Shadow also makes it a fantastic offensive option, albeit making platforming a bit loving irritating. From a story standpoint however, The Abyss answers a lot of questions, namely who our little buddy is and how loving awful the King of Hallownest really was. You can also get the upgrade for the Up-B spell here, and I feel like its a bit of an esoteric puzzle to figure out since the other two upgrades were just "navigate room, get price" while this one is a bit more puzzle-focused. We also finish up the Queen's Garden today, and show off how rad Cloth actually is. I really should've planned out her story better considering we missed a huge facet of her story in Deepnest, but either way this story ends in a pretty great way if you do it right.

Next update: A bunch of loving bosses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the subject of the white lady, i've seen people theorize that she's a sort of fungus given that there's some varieties that look like a bunch of webby, white root-like stuff that can spread through dirt and the like

which wouldn't be hard to believe given that there's sapient fungus hanging out

also something to be noted is that the collapsed + dead individual outside the door to the white lady's little abode was one of the 5 knights of the king

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread